• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching a couple of periods of the Barrie Colts game, one thing I noticed from Mangiapane is that he isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas. For a player of his size it's good and bad thing. I like the no fear attitude, but he takes a lot of punishment. He might win battles in the OHL, but he won't in the NHL. I would like to see him learn some elusiveness a la Johnny Gaudreau.

After watching a couple of periods of the Barrie Colts game, one thing I noticed from Mangiapane is that he isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas. For a player of his size it's good and bad thing. I like the no fear attitude, but he takes a lot of punishment. He might win battles in the OHL, but he won't in the NHL. I would like to see him learn some elusiveness a la Johnny Gaudreau.

Gaudreau goes into the dirty areas in the NHL and wins battles all of the time. For me, it's the hacks and walks they will get that scares me the most. 

Gaudreau goes into the dirty areas in the NHL and wins battles all of the time. For me, it's the hacks and walks they will get that scares me the most.

Thing with Gaudreau is that he darts in and out of traffic he rarely stays in there. Mangiapane stays in there and mucks it up.

I think there is more than one way for smaller players to succeed.   A lot of it may have to do with body type (when fully grown into their frame).    

The short and stocky players have had some success:

Theo Fleury, Martin St. Louis, Tie Domi

I don't necessarily think smaller players Have to lose the battles, and I Definitely don't think they're necessarily more injury prone.

Gaudreau is special in a way that little or no players ever will be.   But that's not the only path to success for smaller players, and it's definitely not Mangiapane's path.   I don't think that's something you develop...it's almost God-given.

Mangiapane, on the other hand, isn't tiny.  At 5'10, he's just not big.   If he learns to leverage his advantages (skating, center of gravity, etc), there is no physical reason he can't continue to develop on a legitimate NHL path.   It's just a bit less likely, and that's how we got him in the round we picked him up in.

I see Gaudreau fight for pucks until he gets it. Maybe you're saying skating with the puck into the dirty areas, whereas I am thinking board battles.

Gaudreau is really good at using his body to cut a guy off going after a loose puck in the corners.

I rarely see Gaudreau get into board battles, he will come into a scrum and pull the puck out from outside the scrum, but he rarely gets pinned along the boards and has to battle for the puck. The couple of times I have seen Mangiapane he seems to get pinned into the boards, the game I watched today he was getting tossed around around quite a bit. That's a bit concerning for me as he progresses.

I think there is more than one way for smaller players to succeed. A lot of it may have to do with body type (when fully grown into their frame).

The short and stocky players have had some success:

Theo Fleury, Martin St. Louis, Tie Domi

I don't necessarily think smaller players Have to lose the battles, and I Definitely don't think they're necessarily more injury prone.

Gaudreau is special in a way that little or no players ever will be. But that's not the only path to success for smaller players, and it's definitely not Mangiapane's path. I don't think that's something you develop...it's almost God-given.

Mangiapane, on the other hand, isn't tiny. At 5'10, he's just not big. If he learns to leverage his advantages (skating, center of gravity, etc), there is no physical reason he can't continue to develop on a legitimate NHL path. It's just a bit less likely, and that's how we got him in the round we picked him up in.

5'10" is on the borderline of tiny and small, it's 4" below NHL average.

They way Mangiapane plays he is going to have to put on a lot of muscle to continue progressing.

I am not saying that he can't make it or that he won't be successful, just that there are reasons for concern going forward.

I like the battle, he just has to learn how to avoid taking as much contact.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!

Things just got interesting.

Mangiapane just finished up Three 3-point games in a row:

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/gameByGame/id/14776

To further build on an already Exceptional second half of the year.

Where does this put him?

In 2016, Mangiapane is the Leading goal-scorer in the OHL, with 19 goals in 17 games.  Nobody else is close.

At the pace he is going, he will likely be leading the OHL in goals for the entire season shortly.  And he's 7th overall in scoring.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show/type/top_scorers/ls_season/54

Simply put, so far in 2016, he has shown another level to his play that is putting him above one goal per game.

If he succeeds in keeping this up, he is on pace to have the best Goal-season not just this year, but since Jon Tavares in 2009.

I'm not saying that he Will...But...   the race is on.  And we are soon approaching two solid months of a higher level of hockey.

Am I talking him up?  Yes.   But this really is great to see.

The Barrie Colts are going to be on SportsNet Friday Night Hockey this evening @ 5:00MST.  They're playing the London Knights.  It'll be a good chance to get a look at Mangiapane as well is Rasmus Andersson.

It's not on SN West, but is on SN1 in Alberta, by the looks of it.  Hope so, as that's a great opportunity to watch a Flames prospect or two.  Go Bread-eater Go.  Go Ras Go.

• 3 weeks later...

Another two-goal night.

Brings him to 16 goals in 14 games for 2016.

Moved up to 6th overall in the OHL, and operating at a consistent 2 points per game this year.   If he keeps it up that should put him 5th overall (or higher potentially).

He's just 3 goals off the scoring lead now, behind just one player, Christian Dvorak.   They're the same age, and Dvorak plays for a MUCH better team.   I'd personally have Mangiapane over Dvorak, and Dvorak was drafted 2nd overall (2014).  So, it least in my eyes, that gives a sense of how much Mangiapane has moved up.

I think it's fair to say he's probably the best goal-scorer in the OHL right now, and soon to have the title as well.   Hopefully he gets into a good playoff run this year.   Either with the Colts, or Adirondack.

So I went to the Barrie Colts game last night and it was awesome! I'll post in the Rasmus Andersson thread about his game, but Mangiapane didn't disappoint. His first goal was a shorty and happened right in front of me (2nd row seats!) Owensound was starting their powerplay from their own zone while Mangiapane was circling around the offside face off dot. He anticipated a D to D pass and swooped in with some good speed to disrupt the defender before he could decide where to pass. Stripping the D of the puck by the near boards and corralling it through the defender's legs to go one on one with the goal tender, Mangiapane had all kinds of time and leaned on a heavy wrister from point blank range to beat the Owensound tender low blocker. Fantastic anticipation, and quick stick skills to pull the puck through the defender before he could regain control. Leblanc seemed to either have an off-game (judging by things I've read about him) or he was simply targeted by Owensound the majority of the night - he was really a non-factor until Mangiapane finished off a pretty passing play with Leblanc to get his 2nd of the night. Now, it's fair to say that Owensound was carrying a lot of the play - the last I remember the shots on net were 34-24 for Owensound close to the end of the game, and it didn't help that Barrie took all kinds of penalties to contribute to those stats, but Mangiapane played very well defensively as well. He showed great defensive awareness hustling back to eliminate odd-man rushes by Owensound, and got in the shooting lanes to take away opportunities. He and his team sometimes had some trouble getting it out of the zone, but Blackwood played really well to give them a chance to win. When Mangiapane wasn't scoring, he was an offensive threat - going hard into the corners, digging pucks loose, and making pretty passes (behind the back, through his legs) to create scoring opportunities that weren't capitalized on. Overall, a great game! I did get nervous for him a few times because of his size in the corners, where he got tangled up with one or two opponents and fell awkwardly or just got bodied - but he's in that fight regardless. He's got some stubborn determination in there which is great to see, but he seems to put himself in vulnerable and avoidable situations insodoing. He was the 2nd star of the night, but could arguably have been the first. The first star went to Rasmus Andersson!

thanks Lou, awesome recap!    That sounds....  like quite that watch!    Scary to hear about the vulnerable positioning, but I Love the compete and the scrap.  IMHO, that can go a long way as the kids get stronger.    And a low center of gravity isn't the worst thing in the world.

Mangiapane scored another 4 points tonight, including a goal, moving him up to 6th overall.

He's 2nd in the league for goals, and at the pace he's going, will surely be first overall within the next week or so.

Nobody else is scoring at his pace this last half of the year.  Not even close.

Great to see his production.  But it is good to keep in mind that he put up 104 points in 68 games last season but was still at 6th round pick.  He is also second on his team in scoring.  Both are flags that have me tempering my enthusiasm just a little bit.  CHL production can be pretty misleading re the potential of a prospect.  

That said, he is having a really good season and I liked him in development camp and the games I have seen him.  He is one of our better prospects to be sure. 

Great to see his production.  But it is good to keep in mind that he put up 104 points in 68 games last season but was still at 6th round pick.  He is also second on his team in scoring.  Both are flags that have me tempering my enthusiasm just a little bit.  CHL production can be pretty misleading re the potential of a prospect.  

That said, he is having a really good season and I liked him in development camp and the games I have seen him.  He is one of our better prospects to be sure. 

My thoughts on that....last year, Mangiapane was centered by Joseph Blandisi.  

Firstly:

You could argue that his stats were padded last year.   Or "helped".

This year, he honestly has nobody to center him of any significance.  He's "going it alone".

Secondly:  

I tend to put more stock in Goals, than overall points.    If you look at his goal production, he has shown Massive, Massive improvement year over year.   More than anyone in the league.   With no real center.

My thoughts on that....last year, Mangiapane was centered by Joseph Blandisi.  

Firstly:

You could argue that his stats were padded last year.   Or "helped".

This year, he honestly has nobody to center him of any significance.  He's "going it alone".

Secondly:  

I tend to put more stock in Goals, than overall points.    If you look at his goal production, he has shown Massive, Massive improvement year over year.   More than anyone in the league.   With no real center.

Not toally accurate. I've watched a few Barrie games this year and Kevin Leblanc drives that line and Natinan is a solid player too so not fair to say he isn't playing with a "real center". Their line actually reminds me alot of the old West Coast express lines with Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi. Natinan's like Morrison in that he won't blow you away but he does so many little things well that it opens up opporutnities for other players. 

Not taking away from Magniapane, who I agree is one of the Flames top 10 prospects, but where I would agree with Kehatch is while his production may suggest he is an elite or upper end prospect, I don't believe he is. Good prospect though and having a great season so I will be anxious to see what he can do at the AHL level next year. 

I don't see the next Johnny or anything close when it comes to Mangiapane.  That said, maybe we have something like a Jiri Hudler on our hands.  A 45-point, 25-goal 2nd line LW who is one dimensional, soft, etc.  I agree I think the AHL will be his true test.

He may be small, but he is more Byron than Hudler.  He is also pretty darn good away from the puck.  He will have a hard time transitioning tthe NHL because of size and style of game, but left alone with the puck he will do damage.

Not toally accurate. I've watched a few Barrie games this year and Kevin Leblanc drives that line and Natinan is a solid player too so not fair to say he isn't playing with a "real center".

Ok, noted, he plays with a real center.  But, while not totally accurate, we're splitting hairs a bit.  No comparison between Natinan right now, and Joseph Blandsi last year.

I don't see the next Johnny or anything close when it comes to Mangiapane.  That said, maybe we have something like a Jiri Hudler on our hands.  A 45-point, 25-goal 2nd line LW who is one dimensional, soft, etc.  I agree I think the AHL will be his true test.

I see Jiri Hudler as his upper limit, yes.   He's not as talented as Gaudreau, clearly, but he's also not nearly as small.   He's just a touch below average, really.

He may be small, but he is more Byron than Hudler.  He is also pretty darn good away from the puck.  He will have a hard time transitioning tthe NHL because of size and style of game, but left alone with the puck he will do damage.

I don't see the Byron comparison.   Very good chance he never has as much success as Byron even, that's true.  

But in terms of projection, Byron is MUCH, MUCH smaller, for starters.  Mangiapane is not comparable to Byron in size.

In terms of performance, Byron never, ever came anywhere close to where Mangiapane is in junior, this year or last.

Ok, noted, he plays with a real center.  But, while not totally accurate, we're splitting hairs a bit.  No comparison between Natinan right now, and Joseph Blandsi last year.

Fair, but again the center really isn't as important to that line becuase Kevin Leblanc is the best player on that line and most of the line's offence goes through him. 

Fair, but again the center really isn't as important to that line becuase Kevin Leblanc is the best player on that line and most of the line's offence goes through him. 

True, but just to clarify, Lebanc's been there for three years, and performed similarly last year on the top line.

So, it's not like Lebanc replaced Blandsi.    Blandsi was a subtraction, with no comparable replacement.

Both Lebanc and Mangiapane picked up the slack, through improvement.

Lebanc, mostly through improvement in assists.

Mangiapane, mostly through improvement in goals.

Honestly I like them both, I don't want to get into "who's better" and "who's worse" too much.

I'm just explaining that, in both their cases, more improvement occurred than shows in their goal/assist totals, due to the subtraction of Blandsi.

Archived