Strange that we don't have a prospect thread for this guy.

Mangiapane is having a pretty good start to his OHL draft +1 season.

12 games played, 8 goals and 8 assists.  His most recent game he had a hatty.

This kid is going to be good.  Just want to keep track of his season.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thinking is if Max Domi can do it why can't Mag I hope he gets a nod for WJH show what he can do with a group of high quality partners every game I think he could produce just like Max did JMO. He might not have to grit of Max but he has the heart and skill.

I wish we can find an impactful player like Domi or the Ottawa kid. Wait, Ottawa has two.

Glad we found Gaudreau!

Bennett will take a few years.

Monahan had 30+ points his first year. Let's see what Bennett ends with. As long as his defensive game is being worked on, his offensive skills should catch up...

Mang, I hope he can do it at the NHL level too.

Mang, Janks, Poirier future 3rd line?

I see all three as more natural on  the top two lines (although unlikely that all three will end up there).

Out of the three, I think Mangiapane would have the hardest time with a transition to a role player.  But it's possible.

I honestly think his best shot is going right for the top two lines.   Whereas Janks and Poirier could potentially play on the third if they had to.

He just scored another two goals, to put him 4th on the leaderboard.    But his pace is picking up.   Looks like he'll be 2nd in scoring, behind Debrincat, in a few games.    Could be between those two?   Such a great pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Mangiapane is on the OHL team's roster for the CHL's Canada-Russia Series.  The OHL games are on November 12th and 16th.  (Mason McDonald is on the Q's roster, so he'll likely get into a game on the 17th or 19th)  

Looks like SportsNet 360 will carry the games.  (The first OHL game appears to be at 5:00MST on Thursday)

• 4 weeks later...

Mang Has just received a 8 game suspension for punching another kid 2 times while down sounds like he was going to be hit on a play moved the kid missed hit the ice Mang wasn't happy so he hit the kid a couple of times. Couldn't find much about it

• 3 weeks later...

Mang Has just received a 8 game suspension for punching another kid 2 times while down sounds like he was going to be hit on a play moved the kid missed hit the ice Mang wasn't happy so he hit the kid a couple of times. Couldn't find much about it

He's back, and picked up 2 points in his return game.

Also, he didn't get any penalty minutes.  Given the situation, that's probably a good thing :)

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/gameByGame/id/14776

Mangiapane has been good this year, but we still need to see that next level.  I'm hoping to see him raise the level of his game in the second half.  If he does, we may have something here.

• 2 weeks later...

So far in January, Mangiapane has been showing that next level he needs to show.

Recently scoring 6 points in one game.   8 points over two games.

Upon his return at first, Mangiapane did ok, but not great.   After a few games in, we're starting to see a glimpse of what we can hope is a marked improvement that should put him in the scoring race.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see. He is the kind of player that is going to need outstanding offence to make it in the league.

At this point it appears that way...and with his size, it doesn't Appear likely to change (although it could).

Another two goals last night...

Mangiapane is still holding above 2ppg for 2016!   And very goal-heavy, too.

That being said, he pretty much needs 2ppg to be a legitmate prospect as an over-ager.  

Keep it up!

I am a little worried that Mangiapane's numbers are being propped up by playing with Kevin Labanc the leading scorer in the OHL. I haven't watched any games so I am not saying that this is the case but, I have seen it happen a number of times in junior where a team mate or a whole line put up numbers based on the work of one player.

I am a little worried that Mangiapane's numbers are being propped up by playing with Kevin Labanc the leading scorer in the OHL. I haven't watched any games so I am not saying that this is the case but, I have seen it happen a number of times in junior where a team mate or a whole line put up numbers based on the work of one player.

You mean like Nemo playing with Hall?

Mangiapane is scoring more of late, so that is a better sign than secondary assists.  Sign seem to be pointing to him making a case for the NHL next year, as he looked good previously.  I think he need complementary players to shine, but I think he could drive offense.

You mean like Nemo playing with Hall?

Mangiapane is scoring more of late, so that is a better sign than secondary assists. Sign seem to be pointing to him making a case for the NHL next year, as he looked good previously. I think he need complementary players to shine, but I think he could drive offense.

The one that always jumps to mind is Dany Roussin, who put up fantastic numbers playing alongside Sidney Crosby, but once he turned pro he couldn't even cut it in the AHL after getting drafted in the 2ND round by LA.

If you haven't watched then how do you determine who is propping up whom? Aren't you just assuming here?

Both were 6th round picks.

If you haven't watched then how do you determine who is propping up whom? Aren't you just assuming here?

Both were 6th round picks.

I am absolutely assuming. Kevin Labanc is the leading scorer in the OHL he has a 1.925 PPG average, Mangiapane has a 1.559 PPG average. On paper it looks like Labanc is the one driving offense, but like I said I haven't watched any games so I can't say for sure.

I am absolutely assuming. Kevin Labanc is the leading scorer in the OHL he has a 1.925 PPG average, Mangiapane has a 1.559 PPG average. On paper it looks like Labanc is the one driving offense, but like I said I haven't watched any games so I can't say for sure.

I think it would be fair to assume that both are feeding off of each other.

The biggest difference between them is assists.  Lebanc has a lot of em.

Goals per game, Mangiapane is ahead of Kevin.

And even points-wise, the difference betwen them is slim.  Kevin's just played more games, and has a slight edge in assists.

Personally, I hate to admit it, but I put a bit more emphasis on goals.  For that reason, I would say that it's a fairly even split.  But if Anything, Lebanc may be slightly benefiting more from Mangiapane.

The bottom line:  Both are 6th round picks, and both have size disadvantages as well as intangibles they need to work on.   Between the two, I would rather have Mangiapane as a prospect.   But time will tell.

Archived