DL44

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who 'wins' this yr's tourney?

• Canucks
    • Flames
    • Jets
    • Oilers

I missed the first period but from what I can see of the last two periods,

Gillies: Solid. He's pro-level but i wouldn't say he can out goaltend Ortio, Hiller, or Ramo at this stage.  He's a goalie who seems to "get it" from a perspective that he understands he's big and he uses his frame very well.  His angles are good.  His first save is good.  He's surprisingly flexible for a goalie of his size.  A few things he lacks:

• Glove hand was not NHL level yet... a bit slow.
  • Overall quickness is not NHL level yet, but should be enough for the AHL.  I think this is a result of lacking muscle which is required for moving his big frame and equipment from side to side and allow him to hunt down the puck.  Once he bulks up and body builds further, then i believe he will naturally develop his part of his game.
  • Recovery after making a save is not NHL level yet.... he seems to do what Hiller does which is stay on his knees watching the play instead of getting back up on his feet and resetting.  Not a huge concern since Gillies is so big, he still covers a large area of the net on his knees but it makes him look a bit lazy from time to time.
  • I didn't see any stick handling abilities showcased.
  • I felt his rebound control was not NHL level yet and needs improvement but the first save was good nonetheless.

Overall, i think Gillies is on the right track.  If he continues to gain experience while building on correcting a few weaknesses to his game, then in 2 to 3 years, he's going to be NHL bound.

Bennett: Looks stronger than last season and his balance is much improved.  He showed a lot of jump in his stride and had several chances to score but just couldn't finish.  This might sound a bit overly critical but i think he needs to get a bit stronger still.  He's 190 lb right now and it looks enough against this level of competition but it likely won't be enough at the NHL level to play his style of game.  He probably needs to be 195 to 200 lbs.

On the bright side, it's the first game back from the summer and he still has months to body build before the Flames hit the stretch drive.  I do like his potential but... it's hard to picture him with success Centering the second line of the Flames right off the get go.  I think he's better suited in a sheltered role and then slowly moving him up the lines later in the season if he earns it.

Another thing is, his shot power is weak.  At no time did it feel like he was going to snipe one in from a distance.  Most 30-goal scorers in the NHL have this, and if he wants to join that class of NHLers, then we need to see him develop into a threat to score from a reasonable distance.  I think this can develop once he continues to add bulk over the course of the next few seasons.

Poirier: He had a really good game with Bennett and Agostino.  Much like Bennett, he seemed to "get it" in terms of where the danger areas are and where he needs to go.  His passing is very good.  I didn't get to see him shoot much though and I'd like to see him carry the puck up the ice more often rather than passing it to Bennett all the time.  I think his game is up to par with Granlund at the very least.

Klimchuk:  Didn't really notice him until the Flames got into penalty trouble and he was out there on the PK.  I didn't see as much sandpaper as others saw but i liked his speed and lateral movement.  He's more Paul Byron than Curtis Glencross.  I still think Lee Stempniak is what he is/will become.  Sadly, he was drafted for "some" offensive flair, namely a lethal wrist shot, but we didn't get to see it.

I think he's still 2 to 3 years away from seeing the NHL.

Other notables:

Van Brabant: was everywhere, hitting everything, and his line was a big reason why the Flames won.  They were playing NHL-level cycle game and the Jets prospects didn't know what hit them.

Andersson: He was solid logging big minutes.  His calm, cool, and steady game plays like Dennis Wideman.  I don't think Andersson is top pair material at the NHL level but he looks to have what it takes to become a solid 3/4/5 in the future.  If he can continue to put up offensive numbers at the pro-level, then he's a RHS RD who's going to develop into a vital part of the Flames success.

Mangiapane: Showed some flash.  Undersized but he might be able to overcome that with his shiftiness and speed.  Will keep a close eye on his development because he's high reward if he pans out.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it hard to track players, but I did see Lomberg make some nice plays.  On an AHL deal, so he is looking to open some eyes here.  I thought Mangiapane was one of the better players on the ice.  Baillie seemed involved in a lot of the offense, which I hope gets him at least an AHL deal.  

Tonight we get to see Marcotte.  No McDavid on the other side.  No Klimchuk or Kylington for us.

I found it hard to track players, but I did see Lomberg make some nice plays.  On an AHL deal, so he is looking to open some eyes here.  I thought Mangiapane was one of the better players on the ice.  Baillie seemed involved in a lot of the offense, which I hope gets him at least an AHL deal.  

Tonight we get to see Marcotte.  No McDavid on the other side.  No Klimchuk or Kylington for us.

Just as well. With the late start I'll miss the game.

I agree with some that Gillies needs to iron out the finer, technical points of his game. What impressed me most, though was his vision. Everytime the Jets had a good chance he was in position for the save before the opposing skater had even taken the shot. I saw multiple one-timers that could have easily gone in had it not been for him reading the play.

We definitely saw Poirier and Bennett building some chemistry, which is exciting.

I had my 3rd eye on Mange.  That kid has some Gaudreau-esque hockey smarts.  Always knows where to position, when to jump into the play, and carry the play forward.  Especially with the size frame he has.  He makes it work.  I don't believe we'll see as much as an offensive flair from him as we were gifted with Gaudreau, but I do believe he'll make the big show as an NHL regular.  Anything more will be gravy.

My eyes (although untrained) were on Andersson and Kylington, both picked mere digits from each other.  We didn't get to see much from Kylington, but Andersson's positioning, transition game, skating, and ability to jump up into the play reminded me a ton of Drew Doughty.  Again these are mere comparisons at best and not meant to instill a "we have the next Doughty" mentality.  I like what we have in him so far.

We definitely saw Poirier and Bennett building some chemistry, which is exciting.

This I am excited for.  I loved seeing him chirp Lemieux yesterday.  Poirier has always intrigued me since I saw his jr highlights on youtube at the draft, and when Canucks fans decided Shinkaruk would be the better pick.  He'll get a better taste of the NHL this year for sure.

Also, a 2nd year pro at the AHL level.  Expect that he puts up better numbers than last if he can stay healthy.

I had my 3rd eye on Mange. That kid has some Gaudreau-esque hockey smarts. Always knows where to position, when to jump into the play, and carry the play forward. Especially with the size frame he has. He makes it work. I don't believe we'll see as much as an offensive flair from him as we were gifted with Gaudreau, but I do believe he'll make the big show as an NHL regular. Anything more will be gravy.

My eyes (although untrained) were on Andersson and Kylington, both picked mere digits from each other. We didn't get to see much from Kylington, but Andersson's positioning, transition game, skating, and ability to jump up into the play reminded me a ton of Drew Doughty. Again these are mere comparisons at best and not meant to instill a "we have the next Doughty" mentality. I like what we have in him so far.

This I am excited for. I loved seeing him chirp Lemieux yesterday. Poirier has always intrigued me since I saw his jr highlights on youtube at the draft, and when Canucks fans decided Shinkaruk would be the better pick. He'll get a better taste of the NHL this year for sure.

Also, a 2nd year pro at the AHL level. Expect that he puts up better numbers than last if he can stay healthy.

Andersson was good, but nothing he did really jumped out at me. The biggest co cern for me was his skating, while not terrible he just lacked any type of top end speed or dynamicness to his stride. His skating was closer to Wideman or Engelland than Doughty.

Mangiapane is looking GREAT. Hell of a 6th round pick I must say. It's definitely a low-risk high-reward pick with him (it's a 6th, at that point it is a crapshoot on who makes it, and Mang has been making a case to show he is the real deal). And he seems like the kind of guy who will give us his all (seeing as we drafted him in his second eligible year, wants to make it seem like it was worth it for us)

Andersson was good, but nothing he did really jumped out at me. The biggest co cern for me was his skating, while not terrible he just lacked any type of top end speed or dynamicness to his stride. His skating was closer to Wideman or Engelland than Doughty.

The difference between Doughty and Andersson is glaring as one is an NHL star and the other is a 2nd round pick, but I am more focusing on the raw skill, grit, and skating style.  His skating isn't that bad.  Just watch his last shift here in the 2nd on the PP.  All players need to work on their skating at some point.  Keep in mind that this is also his first time in Flames duds, and this is a prospect tourney.

That's just the thing, Andersson not doing anything dynamic is exactly what you want.  It means he's doing most everything right.

Bennett and Poirier on the PK, that's definitely them attempting to score short handed more than anything (but it's still helpful to their development). Arnold playing with Van Brabant, Mangiapane and Lomberg, looks like they are trying to find a good fit on the PK with him. Lomberg looked real good on the PK with Arnold though. I could see that being a fixture in the AHL if Arnold isn't on a call up.

Lots of positives..

Andrew Mangiapane had another Really strong game, very impressed with him yet again.

Mason Macdonald, to be completely honest, I was extremely impressed with.  Sure, let in 6.  But the kid's 18 and was playing the highest skill-level game of his short career.   I saw loads of potential.

Some concerns....Bennett is great out there, but not as good as I thought he would be.

And the Oilers looked...not bad.  Better than I'd hoped.   Granted, the team they iced isn't That much different than the one they'll ice on opening night.  But no doubt, they'll be better this year and I personally don't admire how they accomplished it.

I agree with above....Nurse lacked a lot of class.  showed what I consider to be immaturity.  Of course, in a way, that's good lol.

So my opinions on this game:

As a team: Undisciplined. Way too many penalties (though quite a few were rather weak calls, it still happens even during regular season. You have to deal with it). It doesn't matter what team you face, if you give them 7-8 PP's odds are, they will convert. Even if you do *somehow* manage to kill all those off, you just spend almost an entire third of the game short handed. All the guys who are killing penalties (especially the staples of it like Arnold, or the 5 remaining D-Men in the game) are going to get worn down pretty heavily. 

As for individuals.

Mason McDonald: Jekyll and Hyde. First 30 minutes he was great. Though he did get a few saves that were pretty lucky he was good. Though the last 30 minutes he seemed completely different. He allowed 4 of the 6 goals against (they had 2 empty netters, and one of the 4 he let in was a Penalty Shot). While not being bad, it definitely wasn't the same level of play he had the first bit. Definitely shows he is not ready for the pros yet, even at the AHL level. I will end it on a positive though: He did make quite a few timely saves (early on, and after that penalty shot goal to make it 4-3 Edmonton), and he showed a lot of promise. We'll definitely see which of the two goaltenders he is in a couple of years.

Bill Arnold: One of the best players on the ice for us tonight. Much better in the dot than last night. Was a staple on our many (many) penalty kills, and got a couple points (1g 1a). Hell, even got into the fray during a couple of post-whistle scrums. The goal he scored was even on the Power Play (assumed he got some PP time as a reward for his hard work on the PK). 

Andrew Mangiapane: Another solid showing for the undersized forward. 1 Goal while on a line with Arnold, and one of 4 + players on the team. Was fast, caused a few turnovers using his speed (unfortunately gave a couple away as well overskating the puck). Very impressed and can not wait to see this kid turn pro (probably 2016/2017 in the AHL unless he manages to force his way on the team this year, still got main camp to go). Definitely worth the 6th round pick, and going to be exciting to watch.

Rasmus Andersson: 1 Assist on the night (Only assist on Arnolds PP goal), and got into a fight. Didn't win sadly, and didn't even get a single punch in. What he did do was take Darnell Nurse off the ice for 5 minutes. Not bad considering (as has been mentioned) him trying to be the toughest guy out there. Andersson is definitely getting a solid start on his goal of being an agitator.

Sam Bennett. Fast, physical. Has been building chemistry with Poirier (and they do look good). Drew a penalty with his speed. Another game with no finish though. I'm wondering if he is trying to conserve energy for the actual camp or if there is something bothering him that he isn't telling us about (again). Of course this is hockey, he could just be on a bit of a cold streak as well.

Firstly, kudos to Rasmus Andersson who dropped the gloves against someone twice his league in the size and fighting department.  He got it handed to him but he showed good spirit.  Nurse then goes on with his chest pounding gloat like he just took down Goliath.  Really Nurse, fight someone your own size.

About Nurse though, i was not as impressed with him as I thought i would be.  I remember the first time watching the likes of Rasmus Ristolainen and Seth Jones getting blown away by their control of the game.  Nurse seems to have a lot of tools but he's in island to himself, and floating a lot.  He's certainly not in that upper echelon of Dmen.  At least, not based on this game.

In regards to Kenny Morrison, I was expecting to see an offensive Dman who jumps up on the rush often and uses his big shot a lot (a.k.a. Anton Babchuk type). Instead, he's a big slow stay at home type who is the last guy into the offensive zone.  We didn't really get to see his big shot.  He doesn't have the footspeed whether it's top end speed or turning speed.  The only plus is that he's very calm and cool with the puck on the breakout.  A very patience player even under pressure, knowing his size and body can shield the puck properly.  I think he's a mistake-free defensive Dman who can offer steadiness on the bottom pair at the NHL level.  His offensive talents appear to he highly overrated.

I still like Andersson a lot.  To me, he's a "for sure" NHLer who will only be moving up the ladder the more he improves his speed.

Mangiapane impressed again.

Poirier was okay again but seems to struggle with finishing.  He's honestly not as flashy as i was expecting him to be.  He was advertised as Brad Marchand but with size.  Instead, just plays a quiet game, not instigating anything, not chippy, not scoring, not really in-your-face.  He lacks his unique character.

About Mason MacDonald, i thought he was good at times but got outclassed much of the game.  For his age, he's got a lot of the fundamental stuff down right.  I just felt the game moved a lot faster on him than he has experienced in the past. All in all, i think he walks away with a lot of good lessons learned.

Some concerns....Bennett is great out there, but not as good as I thought he would be.

I know what you mean.  I've been tuning in to these games hoping to watch a player who is too good to even be at this tournament.  Instead, Bennett looks like he fits right into this level of competition.  Not that that's bad or anything because the competition is much higher than Junior hockey.  I was just hoping to see a guy who can't be stopped and can't be contained, like, this guy is a 70-point NHLer right now.  Yet, he's not looking that way.

Again, still early.  He's getting used to his new frame i'm guessing.

I was upset with the game, but it was the penalties that took the Flames out of the game. There were a lot of cheesy calls, and I didn't get that Penalty Shot as he hit the puck first. Is that the way they're going to call it in the NHL now? It seemed the Oiler guy with Steinberg said that's how it's called now. I don't remember it that way. 

Anyway. I feel like the Flames got taken out of the game by taking too many penalties. It gave Edm all of the momentum. 

So my opinions on this game:

As a team: Undisciplined. Way too many penalties (though quite a few were rather weak calls, it still happens even during regular season. You have to deal with it). It doesn't matter what team you face, if you give them 7-8 PP's odds are, they will convert. Even if you do *somehow* manage to kill all those off, you just spend almost an entire third of the game short handed. All the guys who are killing penalties (especially the staples of it like Arnold, or the 5 remaining D-Men in the game) are going to get worn down pretty heavily. 

As for individuals.

Mason McDonald: Jekyll and Hyde. First 30 minutes he was great. Though he did get a few saves that were pretty lucky he was good. Though the last 30 minutes he seemed completely different. He allowed 4 of the 6 goals against (they had 2 empty netters, and one of the 4 he let in was a Penalty Shot). While not being bad, it definitely wasn't the same level of play he had the first bit. Definitely shows he is not ready for the pros yet, even at the AHL level. I will end it on a positive though: He did make quite a few timely saves (early on, and after that penalty shot goal to make it 4-3 Edmonton), and he showed a lot of promise. We'll definitely see which of the two goaltenders he is in a couple of years.

Bill Arnold: One of the best players on the ice for us tonight. Much better in the dot than last night. Was a staple on our many (many) penalty kills, and got a couple points (1g 1a). Hell, even got into the fray during a couple of post-whistle scrums. The goal he scored was even on the Power Play (assumed he got some PP time as a reward for his hard work on the PK). 

Andrew Mangiapane: Another solid showing for the undersized forward. 1 Goal while on a line with Arnold, and one of 4 + players on the team. Was fast, caused a few turnovers using his speed (unfortunately gave a couple away as well overskating the puck). Very impressed and can not wait to see this kid turn pro (probably 2016/2017 in the AHL unless he manages to force his way on the team this year, still got main camp to go). Definitely worth the 6th round pick, and going to be exciting to watch.

Rasmus Andersson: 1 Assist on the night (Only assist on Arnolds PP goal), and got into a fight. Didn't win sadly, and didn't even get a single punch in. What he did do was take Darnell Nurse off the ice for 5 minutes. Not bad considering (as has been mentioned) him trying to be the toughest guy out there. Andersson is definitely getting a solid start on his goal of being an agitator.

Sam Bennett. Fast, physical. Has been building chemistry with Poirier (and they do look good). Drew a penalty with his speed. Another game with no finish though. I'm wondering if he is trying to conserve energy for the actual camp or if there is something bothering him that he isn't telling us about (again). Of course this is hockey, he could just be on a bit of a cold streak as well.

I would agree too many penalties, though a couple of them were poor, phantom calls by the refs... which sometimes happens.  

Totally disagree on McDonald, thought he was probably the best Flame on the ice, though Mangiapanne played great too.  Of the 4 goals he gave up, 1 penalty shot and the other three two were Oilers all alone in front of the net with tons of time to shoot, the other a point shot deflection.  Outside of those he made at least a dozen excellent saves to keep the Oilers at bay...

Other positives Bennett, Arnold(see above), Karnaukov(more dynamic and great pass on assist), Morrison(2nd best D) and Andersson(best D).  I also thought Smith was pretty good in all aspects.  Overall I thought the Flames eased off after taking the early lead and never could get that next goal while the Oilers kept coming and eventually got some goals.  On the negative side, Fram got walked around badly once by Rankin and had multiple bad giveaways, while Kanzig had a good moment outmuscling Nurse behind the net, and shut down a 3 on 1, but also got caught standing still three times and clearly has some coverage/mobility issues.

Firstly, kudos to Rasmus Andersson who dropped the gloves against someone twice his league in the size and fighting department.  He got it handed to him but he showed good spirit.  Nurse then goes on with his chest pounding gloat like he just took down Goliath.  Really Nurse, fight someone your own size.

About Nurse though, i was not as impressed with him as I thought i would be.  I remember the first time watching the likes of Rasmus Ristolainen and Seth Jones getting blown away by their control of the game.  Nurse seems to have a lot of tools but he's in island to himself, and floating a lot.  He's certainly not in that upper echelon of Dmen.  At least, not based on this game.

In regards to Kenny Morrison, I was expecting to see an offensive Dman who jumps up on the rush often and uses his big shot a lot (a.k.a. Anton Babchuk type). Instead, he's a big slow stay at home type who is the last guy into the offensive zone.  We didn't really get to see his big shot.  He doesn't have the footspeed whether it's top end speed or turning speed.  The only plus is that he's very calm and cool with the puck on the breakout.  A very patience player even under pressure, knowing his size and body can shield the puck properly.  I think he's a mistake-free defensive Dman who can offer steadiness on the bottom pair at the NHL level.  His offensive talents appear to he highly overrated.

I still like Andersson a lot.  To me, he's a "for sure" NHLer who will only be moving up the ladder the more he improves his speed.

Mangiapane impressed again.

Poirier was okay again but seems to struggle with finishing.  He's honestly not as flashy as i was expecting him to be.  He was advertised as Brad Marchand but with size.  Instead, just plays a quiet game, not instigating anything, not chippy, not scoring, not really in-your-face.  He lacks his unique character.

About Mason MacDonald, i thought he was good at times but got outclassed much of the game.  For his age, he's got a lot of the fundamental stuff down right.  I just felt the game moved a lot faster on him than he has experienced in the past. All in all, i think he walks away with a lot of good lessons learned.

I know what you mean.  I've been tuning in to these games hoping to watch a player who is too good to even be at this tournament.  Instead, Bennett looks like he fits right into this level of competition.  Not that that's bad or anything because the competition is much higher than Junior hockey.  I was just hoping to see a guy who can't be stopped and can't be contained, like, this guy is a 70-point NHLer right now.  Yet, he's not looking that way.

Again, still early.  He's getting used to his new frame i'm guessing.

Well, I pretty much completely disagree with almost all your assessments.  This I find interesting in that you can have different people with two totally different take-aways.  I'm guessing it has to do with expectations.  I'm looking forward to TC, and overall have been impressed so far.  Lots of the kids have made steps forward and that is key... 

I was upset with the game, but it was the penalties that took the Flames out of the game. There were a lot of cheesy calls, and I didn't get that Penalty Shot as he hit the puck first. Is that the way they're going to call it in the NHL now? It seemed the Oiler guy with Steinberg said that's how it's called now. I don't remember it that way. 

Anyway. I feel like the Flames got taken out of the game by taking too many penalties. It gave Edm all of the momentum. 

Yes they did change this rule. A penalty is called regardless if the defender touches the puck first.  However, it should have been only called a Tripping penalty and not a penalty shot.

Rule 57 -- Tripping

In the past it has been legal for a defending player to dive and knock the puck off an attacking player's stick with his own stick, hands, legs or feet as long as he touches the puck first. It was viewed in many instances as a momentum-changing defensive play because the majority of the time it stopped a developing breakaway or odd-man rush.

Not anymore. Now, that same defensive play will result in a two-minute minor penalty for tripping regardless if the defending player touches the puck first.

The summary here is that if an attacking player or players have a step and could go in for a breakaway or odd-man rush, the NHL wants to let that exciting play happen. If the defending player doesn't want to let it happen, he'll have to sit in the box and give the opposition a power play.

However, in situations where a penalty shot might otherwise have been awarded, if a defending player dives and touches the puck first and knocks it off the attacking player's stick, no penalty shot will be awarded. The result will be a penalty for tripping and a power play for the opposition.

Yes they did change this rule. A penalty is called regardless if the defender touches the puck first.  However, it should have been only called a Tripping penalty and not a penalty shot.

Rule 57 -- Tripping

In the past it has been legal for a defending player to dive and knock the puck off an attacking player's stick with his own stick, hands, legs or feet as long as he touches the puck first. It was viewed in many instances as a momentum-changing defensive play because the majority of the time it stopped a developing breakaway or odd-man rush.

Not anymore. Now, that same defensive play will result in a two-minute minor penalty for tripping regardless if the defending player touches the puck first.

The summary here is that if an attacking player or players have a step and could go in for a breakaway or odd-man rush, the NHL wants to let that exciting play happen. If the defending player doesn't want to let it happen, he'll have to sit in the box and give the opposition a power play.

However, in situations where a penalty shot might otherwise have been awarded, if a defending player dives and touches the puck first and knocks it off the attacking player's stick, no penalty shot will be awarded. The result will be a penalty for tripping and a power play for the opposition.

I hate to confuse a good conversation with facts, but.....nope.

NHL 2015-16 Rulebook (linky-poo --> http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2015-2016-Interactive-rulebook.pdf

Page 83-84 (page 93-94 in Adobe Reader)

Rule 57 – Tripping

57.1 Tripping – A player shall not place the stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or elbow in such a manner that causes his opponent to trip or fall.  

Accidental trips which occur simultaneously with a completed play will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.

57.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player who shall place his stick or any portion of his body in such a manner that it shall cause his opponent to trip and fall.

57.3 Penalty Shot - When a player, in the neutral or attacking zone, in control of the puck (or who could have obtained possession and control of the puck) and having no other opponent to pass than the goalkeeper, is tripped or otherwise fouled from behind, thus preventing a reasonable scoring opportunity, a penalty shot shall be awarded to the non - offending team.   Nevertheless, the Referee shall not stop play until the attacking team has lost possession of the puck to the defending team.

The intention of this rule is to restore a reasonable scoring opportunity which has been lost. If, however, the player fouled is able to recover and obtain a reasonable scoring opportunity (or a teammate is able to gain a reasonable scoring opportunity), no penalty shot should be awarded but the appropriate penalty should be signaled and assessed if a goal is not scored on the play.

“Control of the puck” means the act of propelling the puck with the stick, hand or feet. If while it is being propelled, the puck is touched by another player or his equipment, or hits the goal or goes free, the player shall no longer be considered to be “in control of the puck”.

In order for a penalty shot to be awarded for a player being fouled from behind, the following four (4) criteria must have been met:

(i) The infraction must have taken place in the neutral or attacking zone i.e. over the puck carrier’s own blue line).

(ii) The infraction must have been committed from behind.

(iii) The player in possession and control (or, in the judgment of the Referee, the player clearly would have obtained possession and control of the puck) must have been denied a reasonable chance to score.  The fact that the player got a shot off does not automatically eliminate this play from the penalty shot consideration criteria. If the foul was from behind and the player was denied a “more” reasonable scoring opportunity due to the foul, then the penalty shot should still be awarded.

(iv) The player in possession and control (or, in the judgment of the Referee, the player clearly would have obtained possession and control) must have had no opposing player between himself and the goalkeeper.

If, in the opinion of the Referee, a player makes contact with the puck first and subsequently trips the opponent in so doing, no penalty shot will be awarded, but a minor penalty for tripping shall be assessed.

It should be noted that if the attacking player manages to get around the goalkeeper and has no defending player between him and the open goal, and he is fouled from behind by the goalkeeper or another defending player, no goal can be awarded since the goalkeeper is still on the ice. A penalty shot would be awarded.

57.4 Awarded Goal  - If, when the opposing goalkeeper has been removed from the ice, a player in control of the puck (or who could have obtained possession and control of the puck) in the neutral or attacking zone is tripped or otherwise fouled with no opposition between him and the opposing goal, thus preventing a reasonable scoring opportunity, the Referee shall immediately stop play and award a goal to the attacking team.

Watched the game hated the outcome. First there are some bright spots with this:

Postives

Morrison and Anderson I really liked. Heads up plays good skating. Need work on positioning and decision making.

Mangiapane was good, he will make it one day

Hunter Smith I thought was fine, he was not a liability however could lose position because of his skating.

Macdonald I thought was good, if not for a couple of out of position Dman we win the game.

Lomberg impressed me seems to be a bigger version of Jooris.

Netrual

Bennett he was all over the ice but really did nothing outstanding

Arnold same

Porier I think is slightly over hyped, IMHO I take Mangipane over him 

Kanzig Meh

Negatives

Fram not impressive at all

Van Bra Brandt nothing spectacular

Aggostino same as above

Carrol not overly impressed

Other than Lomberg the only player on the call up has been the only impressive guy that stands out. 

Those thinking Bennett should be on fire, well, this isn't the place for him.  He's not getting much of a look from the coaches here.  He already provided his resume in the playoffs last year.  I wouldn't be surprised to know the coaches told him to go easy out there as they expect him fully healthy and ready to go for main camp.

He showed plenty in the first game against the Jets, and didn't even play much in the rotation in the 3rd last game.  Heck, McDavid sat.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Archived