2015 Youngstars Tournament - Penticton, BC - Van/Cgy/Edm/Wpg

DL44

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who 'wins' this yr's tourney?

• Canucks
    • Flames
    • Jets
    • Oilers

I see Kylington as being similar to Subban when he was coming up, minus the physical play. In Kylington I see a guy that wants to be "the guy", and make the highlight real plays and sometimes that means forcing plays.

In the game I watched of Kylington I didn't see a guy who folded under pressure, I saw a guy who held onto to pucks too long trying make something out of nothing.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Kylington as being similar to Subban when he was coming up, minus the physical play. In Kylington I see a guy that wants to be "the guy", and make the highlight real plays and sometimes that means forcing plays.

In the game I watched of Kylington I didn't see a guy who folded under pressure, I saw a guy who held onto to pucks too long trying make something out of nothing.

That's the trouble with tournaments.  A guy with a bit of a chip on his shoulder (dropping so far in the rankings) wants to stand out.  Trying to do so causes him to think less about the smart play or look for the best opening.  That is why I am thinking his play on NA ice over the course of a season will make believers of us.  Opinions may vary though.

The one thing i will note about Andersson is I didn't see the skating struggles I thought i would. alot of the talk i've heard about him was that he wasn't a very good skater and I don't think I would agree with that. he's not a great skater sure, but i woudln't call him a bad one so i was pleasantly surprised about that. he has great natural offensive instincts once in the offensive zone althought getting there is not the easiest thing right now but that can be ironed out.

Kylington is a guy I am trying to like but he is making it very tough. I fully admit I was not high on him going into the draft, hated him at the Under 18s, and so far he hasn't won me over. Fantastic skater sure, but the second he feels pressure I think he folds and turns the puck over. I'm not so sure the Flames got this big steal people think becuase I think Kylington is a project and thats why he fell to the 2nd round. If he can work on that and improve then yes he can still make a career but IMO thats what you expect when you take someone in the 2nd round, a project.

Andersson didn't appear to have that sudden burst of speed or what some would call a second gear... like, when you press the "checking" button on EA NHL.  He's like a one speed player and that's probably why the casual eye would suggest he has skating problems.  Truth is, his instincts and hockey IQ put him into the right spots all the time and thus, he doesn't need that extra gear to burst back into position.  He's just always there.

Offensively, he brings the puck up ice methodically and although he's not fast, he's not slow either.  He looks and feels like Dennis Wideman.  Has that calmness with and without the puck.  Just does about his business.  I see potential for him to have an impact in the NHL as a 3/4/5 (ala Dennis Wideman) and if he can put up the offensive numbers, then possibly a top pair guy.  It's still early and he can develop more tools as he progresses.

In terms of Kylington, i'm wanting him to go to the Brandon Wheat Kings.  I think it's the right level of competition for him to discover himself.  He should be able to dominate along with Provorov and also, he didn't seem to do well playing against men in Sweden.  I think it's the right move for him to take a step back and re-define his game.  It would be more difficult for him to do this in the AHL.

And yes, i agree Kylington is a project.  We shouldn't be suprised if it takes him 5 years considering he's a Dman.

I think you are little unfair. He played in a prospects game on North American ice, in a system he has no experience with. I would expect him to be a bit shaky. He has to adjust to the ice. He has some skills to learn that are easy to learn. It's not like teaching Kanzig to skate.

Phat Ras (nickname used elsewhere) had an issue with being in shape. He knows it and so do the Flames. I don't think that will be an issue for much longer. He has a level head and a new NHL contract waiting for him.

Who is Phat Ras?

Archived