Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Well it cant be any worse then what we have been seeing recently in terms of generating offense, and I think those lines werent given a fair kick because of how the team performed to start the season. Im glad hes going back to that.

I particularly like Versteeg with Gaudreau and Monahan if they aren't ready to move Tkachuk there. Tkachuk with Bennett and Brouwer is worth a look. Ferland should be able to play with Backlund and Frolik and learn something for is game.

• 4 weeks later...

So what to do with Treliving? I think this is his final contract year. Do the Flames resign him or wait and see if any other GMs become available in the offseason? Perhaps management goes in a completely different direction altogether and signs someone "off the boards" so to speak. I think BT has done a good job with this team. He's proven he can be savvy and fairly budget efficient, he's had a few blunders but overall I think he's earned an extension. 

12 minutes ago, rickross said:

So what to do with Treliving? I think this is his final contract year. Do the Flames resign him or wait and see if any other GMs become available in the offseason? Perhaps management goes in a completely different direction altogether and signs someone "off the boards" so to speak. I think BT has done a good job with this team. He's proven he can be savvy and fairly budget efficient, he's had a few blunders but overall I think he's earned an extension. 

To be honest I don't think there are that many NHL GMs that would be any better than BT, resign him and fast.

On 1/25/2017 at 7:34 PM, MAC331 said:

I particularly like Versteeg with Gaudreau and Monahan if they aren't ready to move Tkachuk there. Tkachuk with Bennett and Brouwer is worth a look. Ferland should be able to play with Backlund and Frolik and learn something for is game.

I am really dissapointed that GG has not gone back to those lines, he tried them for a third period of that montreal game I wanna say but nothing since then. Mostly I wanna see tkachuk given a go with bennett again, Im not satisfied with seeing him spend the whole season with backlund id rather see ferland there.

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

Treliving's moves have usually been good, trades and drafts well, he's been decent at asset management, and has not often grossly overpaid.

He has not been flawless, but I shudder whenever I recall the various disasters that Risebrough, Button, and Sutter put the team through.

i think this is the important part, everything that BT has done has set this team up for the future and the current team has not taken a back seat but hes not going to mortgage the future for a shot in the dark.

You have to wonder why he hasn't been offered an extension already? They could just be waiting until the season plays out but usually by now if management likes what they've seen they would have offered an extension by now. I can't see them letting BT walk but you have to wonder if they are being hesitant with the GM position at this point.

I'm choosing to believe that they have a "handshake" style deal that they just don't want to announce, or something like that. 

ive said it before but I'll be extremely choked if they don't bring him back. He's earned an extension and you simply will never win in pro sports if you constantly churn your operations team for no reason. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cross16 said:

I'm choosing to believe that they have a "handshake" style deal that they just don't want to announce, or something like that. 

ive said it before but I'll be extremely choked if they don't bring him back. He's earned an extension and you simply will never win in pro sports if you constantly churn your operations team for no reason. 

Agreed. He's only gotten better as he's learned the job and he's made some really nice astute moves of late. I think another 3 years is fair, i'm not sure when Burkie's contract is up but curious if he's extended as well. I do like the fact the Flames have Treliving, Burke, Pascal and Maloney all up front, thats a good mix of seasoned vets and younger minded leadership. 

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So I heard on the radio the other day that Dean Lombardi was on the last year of his contract as well. 

I wonder if Calgary is waiting to give Treliving a contract to see what other options appear such as Lombardi.

Do you or does anyone else think that Lombardi has a similar philosophy of how Burke wants the team to play?

I think it is possible, but then again, I do have mixed feelings on how Treliving has done, but mostly like it so far. 

The growing pains of being a GM showed early. But I think his strengths have been in trades and negotiating with players within our system, minus Bouma (an example of one of the growing pains). 

20 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Do you or does anyone else think that Lombardi has a similar philosophy of how Burke wants the team to play?

I think it is possible, but then again, I do have mixed feelings on how Treliving has done, but mostly like it so far. 

The growing pains of being a GM showed early. But I think his strengths have been in trades and negotiating with players within our system, minus Bouma (an example of one of the growing pains). 

If you look at the team Lombardi built in LA, I think it meshes pretty well with the way Burke likes his teams.

I don't think you can doubt the job Lombardi has done in LA, with 2 Cups on his resume, but in saying that, he has traded away pretty much all of their prospects to this point, and as their team is starting to age, they don't really have any young players to step in and take the reins.

So I would worry a bit with Lombardi, and seeing some of our prospect depth be sent out the door.

On 2/21/2017 at 4:26 PM, cross16 said:

Word on Fan 960 is the Flames want to get away from the offering of extensions too early to be able to get away from situations like "paying BH for sitting at home for another year".

Edit: as for being pissed if they let him walk.. That would depend on who his replacement was wouldn't it?

9 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Word on Fan 960 is the Flames want to get away from the offering of extensions too early to be able to get away from situations like "paying BH for sitting at home for another year".

Edit: as for being pissed if they let him walk.. That would depend on who his replacement was wouldn't it?

It sounds like online dating to me, keeping someone just at arms length away, just enough until someone better comes along. There's always someone better! 

30 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Best way to stop that is to stop hiring bad fits and firing people too early. I actually don't have a big problem with it so long as it doesn't frustrate their employees or cause them to lose respect around the league. 

And no it really wouldn't.i don't think you'll ever win anything of value in pro sports when you turn over your management for no reason. Treliving does not deserve to be fired. 

28 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Best way to stop that is to stop hiring bad fits and firing people too early. I actually don't have a big problem with it so long as it doesn't frustrate their employees or cause them to lose respect around the league. 

And no it really wouldn't.i don't think you'll ever win anything of value in pro sports when you turn over your management for no reason. Treliving does not deserve to be fired. 

No one has said he deserves to be fired. The discussion is whether his contract deserves to be renewed early with an extension.

That is why I said it depends on who his replacement would be.

3 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

No one has said he deserves to be fired. The discussion is whether his contract deserves to be renewed early with an extension.

That is why I said it depends on who his replacement would be.

Can debate semantics if we want but for me if you are not renewing someone's contract you are firing them. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Can debate semantics if we want but for me if you are not renewing someone's contract you are firing them. 

Or just letting them go. Either way, I think they're not really placing confidence. 

Is the organization really thinking we should be even further in the build?

toronto turned it around fast after Burke left. We didn't tear down completely so we still won enough to not get a 1st or 2nd overall pick. That really usually pushes a build up. Monahan is good, but not Matthews good.

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Or just letting them go. Either way, I think they're not really placing confidence. 

Is the organization really thinking we should be even further in the build?

toronto turned it around fast after Burke left. We didn't tear down completely so we still won enough to not get a 1st or 2nd overall pick. That really usually pushes a build up. Monahan is good, but not Matthews good.

A lotto pick win (yes they won it over EDM and VAN) is not turning around a franchise.  Some years that lotto pick is the best player in a number of years.  

Toronto has a lot to prove beyond the regular season success to date.  So does EDM.  

39 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

A lotto pick win (yes they won it over EDM and VAN) is not turning around a franchise.  Some years that lotto pick is the best player in a number of years.  

Toronto has a lot to prove beyond the regular season success to date.  So does EDM.  

Definitely, but the best players help.

toews and Kane were drafted 1 & 2.

doughty very high too. Crosby #1. Malkin... 

in the last 6 years alone those teams have a first two overall picks. 

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

So I heard on the radio the other day that Dean Lombardi was on the last year of his contract as well. 

I wonder if Calgary is waiting to give Treliving a contract to see what other options appear such as Lombardi.

Personally, I think we should pack it in on Treliving's contract status.

He isn't going anywhere, beyond the fans contriving.

There's also an equal chance we'll trade Gio and Monahan at the deadline.

If BT isn't re-signed, I would hope it's his choice, not ours.

We have no control over that.

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

What has he done that solidifies he should be granted one?  IMHO he has done nothing to warrant a decision either way.

I think the big question with GMs always is if they arent doing anything stupid what exactly does a guy like lombardi do that is such a huge upgrade? A gm isent like a coach where you are going to get some huge upgrade. A GMs job is to manage the cap, make sound trades and help the team get better players for the coach to do his job. I think the arguement would be has BT done a good job with those things. BT was an upgrade on feaster because he wasnt the greatest hockey mind, but is someone like lombardi going to be a huge upgrade, I dont see why.

BT has made some good trades, the hamilton one comes to mind first and foremost obviously, but even the russell trade was a good one. Has he made some mistakes ie the signing of engelland or brouwer sure, but these arent big mistakes and really they arent costing the team anything at this point. 

A GM is someone you can keep around for years if he has a plan and isent doing anything dumb, bowman in chicago has made some dumb choices, but he just keeps trucking along because hes winning cups. But some of his choices havent been very smart ie giving Bickell big money.

24 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

What has he done that solidifies he should be granted one?  IMHO he has done nothing to warrant a decision either way.

We only see the surface stuff and not whether he works hard behind the scenes however he has done some good here. Outside of Bouma I think he has done a good job keeping contracts in a good place. He has put together some decent trades gathering picks and using picks to obtain players like Hamilton and Elliott. You never bat 1000 as a GM but I think he has the team in good shape and heading in a good direction. I think this franchise needs to settle in with these changes and not be making any more management changes or coaching changes for a while.

26 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think the big question with GMs always is if they arent doing anything stupid what exactly does a guy like lombardi do that is such a huge upgrade? A gm isent like a coach where you are going to get some huge upgrade. A GMs job is to manage the cap, make sound trades and help the team get better players for the coach to do his job. I think the arguement would be has BT done a good job with those things. BT was an upgrade on feaster because he wasnt the greatest hockey mind, but is someone like lombardi going to be a huge upgrade, I dont see why.

BT has made some good trades, the hamilton one comes to mind first and foremost obviously, but even the russell trade was a good one. Has he made some mistakes ie the signing of engelland or brouwer sure, but these arent big mistakes and really they arent costing the team anything at this point. 

A GM is someone you can keep around for years if he has a plan and isent doing anything dumb, bowman in chicago has made some dumb choices, but he just keeps trucking along because hes winning cups. But some of his choices havent been very smart ie giving Bickell big money.

From the last paragraph, maybe that is the point. What is BT's plan? 

Has he worked to it, or is it visible so far? Do we know where this team is headed? 

From what I see, BT is a way better Feaster. We've seen a lot of skill in the moves and hardly any weight (size). We hit, but aren't really an imposing team just yet, and aren't hard to play against.