Flames 2015-2016 Roster

darth_henning

Yes, I KNOW we're in the middle of a playoff push right now, and that things may change dramatically depending on if we make it and how far we go and who performs to what level.

That said, the topic has been starting to come up in discussions of the J-S-J (Johnny-Sean-Juri) lines, and the State of our D thread, so I think its appropriate to start a topic of its own where we weigh the possibilities that we might want to see for next year.

Flames Contracts: http://flames.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=97763

Flames Player Stats: http://flames.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

Players under contract:

At LW we currently have: Bollig, Bouma (RFA), Gaudreau, Raymond, Wolf (RFA), Ferland (RFA), Klimchuck, Elson (RFA), Agostino (RFA), and Elson (RFA)

At C we currently have: Monahan, Backlund (RFA), Jooris (RFA), , Granlund, Stajan, Shore (Unsure of contract), Bennett, Arnold (RFA), Reinhart (RFA), and Van Brabant (RFA)

At RW we currently have: Hudler, Colborne, Jones, McGrattan (UFA), Poirier, Setoguchi (UFA), and Hanowski (RFA)

On D we currently have: Giordano, Brodie, Russell, Wideman, Diaz (UFA), Smid, Schlemko (UFA), Engellend, Wotherspoon, Potter (UFA), Acolaste (RFA), Culkin, Candari (UFA), Kanzig, Kulak, Ramage (RFA) and Sieloff

In G we currently have: Hiller, Ramo (UFA), Ortio, Thiessen (UFA), Gilles, McDonald,and Carr

Players now requiring waivers (thanks Flame111):

• Ferland (fourth year pro)
  • Gaudreau (exceeding games cap)
  • Hanowski (fourth year pro)
  • Jooris (exceeding games cap)
  • Monahan (exceeding games cap)
  • Ortio (fourth year pro)
  • Reinhart (fourth year pro)
  • Wolf (second year pro)

Who do you want to see kept with the club?
Who do you want to see leave/come in from trades?

Who do you resign?

Who do you let walk?

Who do you target as a free agent?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For my input, I'm just going to focus on the Flames not the Heat, but feel free to throw in your thoughts about that too. 

Starting at Left Wing:

- Bollig: I would look to be moving in a trade. He does bring a big body to the ice, but both Bouma and Wolf are similar in height and weight, neither are afraid to be physical, and both have a much higher offensive upside.

- Bouma: He's turned into a good defensive LW with Backlund and Jones, and has a very nice offensive upside, would be looking to resign him for the shutdown line. Resign 3-4 years.

- Gaudreau: has already produced the most points by any Flame player in a rookie season. Will remain on the first line next year.

- Raymond: Streaky, but possibly useful offensive player on the 2nd or third line. I'd be up to sending him out in a trade if we could get a decent return though.

- Wolf: Similar size and physicality to Bollig with a better offensive upside. Would be looking to put him on the fourth lline. Resign 2-3 years.

- Ferland: Showing some good progression and might make the club next year on the third or fourth line. Really depends what happens with Raymond. Resign 2-3 years.

At Center:

- Monahan: has shown himself in his sophomore season to be a definite #1 centerman, and may hit 30 goals this year, definitely will next year.

- Backlund: amazing shut down play with great offensive upside, playing well with Bouma and Jones, and could be a solid second line until Bennett is ready for bigger minutes, definitely resign as part of the future. Resign 4-5 years.

- Jooris: has played well at center earlier this year, and has shown he can also play on the wings. Where he lands depends on who else plays next year in what positions, but definitely a part of the team going forward. Resign 3-4 years.

- Stajan: His contract is expensive, but it is keeping us at the cap floor while our younger players develop. He's also been very dependable in a defnsive role and in the faceoff circle. His role will phase out in a few years, but for now he's great on the 4th line.

- Bennett: Will depend on how he finishes out this year and how he plays in camp. Definitely a possibility to make the team net year

- Shore: he's been up and down this year, but has shown he can play at the NHL level and will likely be with the club for injury as a frequent call-up. EDIT: Forgot he requires waivers, this may make him trade bait. Unsure.

- Granlund: is ready for the NHL but not a high level player yet. As he's still waiver exempt, I expect to see him as a frequent call-up.

- Reinhart: would now have to clear waivers. But there's a little too much talent in front of him to make the club. Possibly risk waivers or possibly trade. Not sure of the best approach. Depends what we'd get in return. 

Right Wing:

- Hudler: great leader and mentor. Plays on the first line again for at least the next year.

- Colborne: though a natural center, he's played mostly RW the last season and a bit, and has done well there bringing a physical presence. Can play up and down the lineup.

- Jones: our only natural RW currently with the club, has performed well in the shutdown role with Bouma and Backlund, that line may best be left together for now.

- Setoguchi: UFA thank the gods.

- McGrattan: I love the guy, but sadly his time with the Flames is over. He may well retire at the end of the year anyway.

- Byron: A good speedy winger who if he can get his breakaways to go in could be very dangerous, or at the very least provides a nice bit of speed as a penalty killer. Resign for 1-2 years.

- Poirier: may make the club, but is best served if he can get decent minutes, and not the bottom line. Might be best served with another year of junior with top line minutes. No need to rush him.

Defense:

- Giordano: enough said.

- Brodie: see above

- Russell: solid shotblocker and leader

- Wideman: our best defenseman on the PK in terms of GA/time

top 4 is solid

- Diaz: has been one of our best defensemen in the bottom role and served well on the PP, but a UFA who may or may not be resigned.

- Schlemko: has played well in his few games so far. Again a UFA, his fate depends how he plays the rest of the season.

- Engellend: Has stepped up his game lately, but was VERY bad most of the early season, but brings a size and RH shot we are missing on the back end

- Smid: Statisticcally our worst defenceman and we're stuck with him for two more years. Would try to trade or bury him.

- Wotherspoon: May be ready to challenge for the 5/6 position but won't know until camp.

- Kanzig: a future replacement for Engellend's size with better offensive and defensive play but needs another year or so to work on his skating abilities. 

A lot of possible options, just not many good ones.

Lastly Goal:

- Hiller is signed for next year and has had solid play. Will be with the flames.

- Ramo is a UFA, but has played very well this year and last, may well deserve another 1 year contract here

- Ortio is more of a challenge. He has shown he can lay at NHL level, but it may leave the farm team without a solid goal option. However, as he is waiver eligible now, it is a risk to send him down after camp.

My thoughts on an opening night roster:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler <---- top line scoring

Bouma - Backlund - Jones <--------- shutdown with offensive upside

Raymond - Bennett - Jooris <-------- secondary scoring

Wolf - Stajan - Colborne <------------- Primarily defensive line with offensive upside

Ferlund, Byron

Giordano - Brodie

Russell - Wideman

Schlemko - Diaz

Engelland

Hiller

Ramo

(likely a deadline trade of one to make room for Ortio after a callup)

Trade: Smid, Bollig, +/- Raymond if it sweetens the return +/- Reinheart since he likely won't make the club

Let walk as UFA/RFA: Setoguchi, McGrattan, Potter

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler  should be our obvious top line and main scoring line.

Bouma - Backlund - Jones  Solid since being put together, give them a full year together and see what happens

Raymond - Bennett - Jooris  If Bennett makes it, this line works well.

Wolf/Bollig/Ferland - Stajan - Colborne   Main fourth line I could see (Depends on if we can get rid of Bollig or sit him as extra AND re-sign Wolf, Ferland if we can't re-sign Wolf but still get rid of Bollig)

If Bennett doesn't make the team:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Bouma - Backlund - Jones

Raymond - Jooris/Colborne - Poirier

Wolf/Bollif/Ferland - Stajan - Colborne/Jooris

Our D

Giordano - Brodie

Russell - Wideman
UFA/Schlemko re-sign - Smid/Engelland

With Smid or Engelland sitting as our 7th. If we get rid of one of them, Schlemko/Engelland sit as 7th while Wotherspoon plays 3rd pairing

Reinhart - RFA

Ramage - RFA

Thanks!

If Bennett doesn't make the team:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Bouma - Backlund - Jones

Raymond - Jooris/Colborne - Poirier

Wolf/Bollif/Ferland - Stajan - Colborne/Jooris

Makes sense. I think Bennett is more likely to make the team, but one of the two definitely will I think, and this would work in that situation.

Players under contract:

At LW we currently have: Bollig, Bouma (RFA), Gaudreau, Raymond, Wolf (RFA), Ferland (RFA), Klimchuck, Agostino (RFA), and Elson (RFA)

At C we currently have: Monahan, Backlund (RFA), Jooris (RFA), , Granlund, Stajan, Shore, Bennett, Arnold (RFA), Reinhart (RFA), and Van Brabant (RFA)

At RW we currently have: Hudler, Colborne, Jones, McGrattan (UFA), Poirier, Setoguchi (UFA), and Hanowski (RFA)

On D we currently have: Giordano, Brodie, Russell, Wideman, Diaz (UFA), Smid, Schlemko (UFA), Engellend, Wotherspoon, Potter (UFA), Acolaste (RFA), Culkin, Candari (UFA), Kanzig, Kulak, Ramage (RFA) and Sieloff

In G we currently have: Hiller, Ramo (UFA), Ortio, Thiessen (UFA), Gilles, McDonald,and Carr

Players now requiring waivers (thanks Flame111):

• Ferland (fourth year pro)
  • Gaudreau (exceeding games cap)
  • Hanowski (fourth year pro)
  • Jooris (exceeding games cap)
  • Monahan (exceeding games cap)
  • Ortio (fourth year pro)
  • Reinhart (fourth year pro)
  • Wolf (second year pro)

Who do you want to see kept with the club?
Who do you want to see leave/come in from trades?

Who do you resign?

Who do you let walk?

Who do you target as a free agent?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting at Left Wing:

- Bollig: Trade for 2015 draft pick.

- Bouma: Resign 3-4 years.

- Gaudreau: Will remain on the first line next year.

- Raymond: Trade for 2015 draft pick.

- Wolf: Resign 2-3 years.

- Ferland: Resign 2-3 years.

At Center:

- Monahan: #1 centerman.

- Backlund: Resign 4-5 years.

- Jooris: Resign 3-4 years.

- Stajan: Trade for 2015 draft pick.

- Bennett: Will make the team next year.

- Shore: Play at the NHL level next year.

- Granlund: As he's still waiver exempt, I expect to see him as a frequent call-up.

- Reinhart: Trade for 2015 draft pick. 

Right Wing:

- Hudler: Plays on the first line again for at least the next year.

- Colborne: RW the next season.

- Jones: Trade for 2015 draft pick.

- Setoguchi: UFA release.

- McGrattan: UFA release.

- Byron: Resign for 1-2 years.

- Poirier: May make the club, but might be best served with another year of AHL with top line minutes. 

Defense:

- Giordano: enough said.

- Brodie: see above

- Russell: solid shotblocker and leader

- Wideman: Trade for Prospect D, retain salary if required.

- Diaz/Schlemko: both UFAs, re-sign one for 2 years.

- Schlemko/Diaz: both UFAs, re-sign alternate for 1 year as 7th D, AHL call-up.

- Engellend: Brings size and RH shot we are missing on the back end.

- Smid: Trade for 2015 draft pick.

- Wotherspoon: 5/6 position next year.

- Kanzig: a future replacement for Engellend's size with better offensive and defensive play but needs a year in AHL. 

- UFA: Either sign Douglas Murray/2015 UFA/ or via Hiller trade.

Goal:

- Hiller: Trade for 1-4 solid Dman or top D prospect.

- Ramo is a UFA, Re-sign for 2 year contract.

- Ortio: Promote to NHL level as backup for Ramo.

-Gillies: Sign for AHL starter position.

My thoughts on an opening night roster:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler <---- Top line scoring

Bouma - Backlund - Colborne <--------- Shutdown with offensive upside

Ferland - Bennett - Jooris <-------- Secondary scoring

Wolf - Shore - Poirier <------------- Roll four lines, energy with offensive upside

Byron, Arnold

Giordano - Brodie

Russell - Wotherspoon

Schlemko/Diaz - UFA/Trade

Engelland

Ramo

Ortio

Trade: Smid, Bollig, Raymond, Reinhart, Jones, Wideman, Hiller, Stajan

Release as UFA/RFA: Setoguchi, Mcgratton

Although it appears to be a massive change, there are only 4 new prospects into the line-up (versus 3 this year).  We have some good prospects and room needs to be made to progress.  We are building.  We are not good enough now.  Tampa Bay brought up 6-7 rookies last year and its worked just fine.  Time to make that transition or else we'll start losing our prospect depth for nothing.  Hopefully we can make trades for multiple 2015 draft picks, which can be either used or bundled to move up for a higher-end draft pick.

I like the idea of getting more 2015 picks, especially since we need to draft some higher end D.

The only trade I don't agree with is moving Wideman. He's one of the top scoring D in the league, and our best D on the PK. I don't think that Wotherspoon is remotely ready to replace that yet. Not sure why everyone is so down on Wideman really.

Might be hard to shop Stajan, but I could see him moved for Shore if the flames are willing to have two rookie centers the same year (that I think is more the question)

I like the idea of getting more 2015 picks, especially since we need to draft some higher end D.

The only trade I don't agree with is moving Wideman. He's one of the top scoring D in the league, and our best D on the PK. I don't think that Wotherspoon is remotely ready to replace that yet. Not sure why everyone is so down on Wideman really.

Might be hard to shop Stajan, but I could see him moved for Shore if the flames are willing to have two rookie centers the same year (that I think is more the question)

I'm not down on Wideman, and actually believe he's been great so far this year.  I would consider trading him at this point as I think he could yield a top end D prospect which is going to help us more in the long term.

Calgary Flames

Left Wing                          Center                           Right Wing                           GREEN=RFA

Johnny Gaudreau              Sean Monahan               Jiri Hudler                               RED=UFA

Mason Raymond                Mikael Backlund             Joe Colborne                          BLUE=UNSIGNED PROSPECT

Lance Bouma                    Sam Bennett                   David Jones

Brandon Bollig                   Matt Stajan                     Josh Jooris

Paul Byron                         Drew Shore                    Emile Poirier

Michael Ferland

Left Defense                    Goalie                           Right Defense

Mark Giordano                   Jonas Hiller                    T.J. Brodie

Kris Russell                        Karri Ramo                    Dennis Wideman

Ladislav Smid                     Joni Ortio                       Deryk Engelland

David Schlemko                                                       Raphael Diaz

Corey Potter

Stockton Heat

Left Wing                          Center                           Right Wing

Michael Ferland                 Markus Granlund            Emile Poirier

Morgan Klimchuk               Bill Arnold                        Ben Hanowski

David Wolf                         Max Reinhart                   Garnet Hathaway

Turner Elson                      Mark Jankowski               Hunter Smith

Kenny Agostino                                                         Austin Carroll

Bryce Van Brabant                                                    Brian McGrattan                                                        

Devin Setoguchi

Left Defense                    Goalie                            Right Defense

Tyler Wotherspoon            Joni Ortio                        Mark Cundari

Ryan Culkin                       Brad Thiessen                Sena Acolatse

Patrick Seiloff                    Jon Gillies                       John Ramage

Brett Kulak

Keegan Kanzig

Eric Roy

Rushan Rafikov

RFA:

Keep:

Lance Bouma

Michael Ferland

Mikael Backlund

Drew Shore

Turner Elson

Kenny Agostino

Bill Arnold

Max Reinhart

Mark Cundari

John Ramage

Let Walk:

Paul Byron

Ben Hanowski

Sena Acolatse

I like the way Paul Byron plays but I am not sure there is much room for him on the roster next year so I would move on. Hanowski doesn't have the skating ability to play a regular shift in the NHL so that's why I would move on from him. Don't really know enough about Acolatse but we need to make room for some of the guys moving up from junior.

UFA:

Keep:

David Schlemko

Karri Ramo

Let Walk:

Raphael Diaz

Corey Potter

Brian McGrattan

Devin Setoguchi

Brad Thiessen

I prefer Schlemko to Diaz or Potter as the 6th/7th defenseman. It's time to move on from McGrattan and Setoguchi. I think Gillies will be making the jump to the AHL next year and I am not sure there is room for Thiessen.

Unsigned Prospects:

Mark Jankowski

Hunter Smith

Austin Carroll

Eric Roy

Jon Gillies

Austin Carroll is out of junior eligibility and is having a very good year so signing him makes sense. I believe that Smith is also out of junior eligibility so signing him also makes sense. Eric Roy will have to signed or he can re-enter the draft, I am ok either way but he has started putting up numbers as of late and we don't really have a ton of defense prospects so signing him wouldn't hurt. Mark Jankowski and Jon Gillies both have another year of college eligibility but I would like to see them make the jump to the next level. Gillies for sure, there is a case that Jankowski could benefit from another year in college where he would be the man.

Players making the jump to Pro:

Sam Bennett

Morgan Klimchuk

Keegan Kanzig

Bennett will most likely make the jump straight to the NHL, Klimchuk and Kanzig will be heading to Stockton California.

I think Ferland, Poirier and Granlund are borderline to make it on the big club out of camp next year. I would like to see Calgary add another top 6 winger and a top 6 defenseman.

Another post that I agree with much of.

Minor changes to signings:

According to your lineups above, Ferland plays in Stockton, so there is room on Calgary's roster for Byron.

I'd keep Hanowski over Agostino only because he's a RW and has a better shooting %.

I'd keep Acolatse over Ramage for his better offensive upside.

I'd wait on any decision regarding Schlemko until the season ends. I just haven't seen enough of him.

Any decision on Theissen should wait on what Gillies decides about his final year in college.

My Flames lineup:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler (top line, scoring and defense)

Raymond - Bennett - Jooris (somewhat sheltered scoring line)

Bouma - Backlund - Jones (shutdown line)

Bollig - Stajan - Colborne (energy line)

Spares - Byron & Shore

I could see Jooris and Colborne switching lines at times depending on the opposition.

From what I see in above posts and premised on Raymond and Jones staying. Also I don't know if I see both Stajan and Backlund both being around for next year. I see them trading Backlund and Granlund. Should Bennett make the team I see something like this for forward lines.

Raymond, Monahan, Jones

Gaudreau, Bennett, Hudler ( I like idea of him working with another youngster)

Bollig, Stajan, Jooris

Bouma, Shore, Ferland

This would free up Colborne, Backlund and Granlund to trade. Maybe we could trade for Luke Schenn.

If we could get Schenn I would position the D like this.

Giordano, Wideman

Brodie, Schenn

Russell, Engelland

I think both Wideman and Brodie need to be with a partners that are more defensively responsible than themselves.

Russell with Engelland definitely upgrades the final pairing.

Goalies I would bring back Ramo resigned and have Hiller, Ramo and Ortio to decide on.

From what I see in above posts and premised on Raymond and Jones staying. Also I don't know if I see both Stajan and Backlund both being around for next year. I see them trading Backlund and Granlund. Should Bennett make the team I see something like this for forward lines.

Raymond, Monahan, Jones

Gaudreau, Bennett, Hudler ( I like idea of him working with another youngster)

Bollig, Stajan, Jooris

Bouma, Shore, Ferland

This would free up Colborne, Backlund and Granlund to trade. Maybe we could trade for Luke Schenn.

If we could get Schenn I would position the D like this.

Giordano, Wideman

Brodie, Schenn

Russell, Engelland

I think both Wideman and Brodie need to be with a partners that are more defensively responsible than themselves.

Russell with Engelland definitely upgrades the final pairing.

Goalies I would bring back Ramo resigned and have Hiller, Ramo and Ortio to decide on.

I don't get your reasoning.

Gio and Brodie have arguably been the best or top pairing in the league and you want to split them up because you "think" they need a more Defensive partner?? There is no reason to believe the chemistry of a more defensive partner would improve our D top pairing whatsoever..  

Then you also split up the second pairing of Wiseman and Russell for similar reasons?  this pair has shown great chemistry paired with each other and solidified the second pairing for us because of this chemistry.

There is no reason to move Russell down to third pairing. What an insult for all his improved play. Of course Russel would upgrade the 3rd pairing he is already at 2nd pairing level of play..

This doesn't even address the fact that a huge portion of our points are coming from the D which you want to split up and reshuffle in all 3 pairings ...

4 of our top 7 point scorers are from the D

d502c5a275cc8af61518009fd96bd800.png

and you want to shuffle all three pairings..

Calgary Flames

Left Wing                          Center                           Right Wing                           GREEN=RFA

Johnny Gaudreau              Sean Monahan               Jiri Hudler                               RED=UFA

Mason Raymond                Mikael Backlund             Joe Colborne                          BLUE=UNSIGNED PROSPECT

Lance Bouma                    Sam Bennett                   David Jones

Brandon Bollig                   Matt Stajan                     Josh Jooris

Paul Byron                         Drew Shore                   Emile Poirier

Michael Ferland

Left Defense                    Goalie                           Right Defense

Mark Giordano                   Jonas Hiller                    T.J. Brodie

Kris Russell                        Karri Ramo                    Dennis Wideman

Ladislav Smid                     Joni Ortio                       Deryk Engelland

David Schlemko                                                       Raphael Diaz

Corey Potter

Stockton Heat

Left Wing                          Center                           Right Wing

Michael Ferland                 Markus Granlund            Emile Poirier

Morgan Klimchuk               Bill Arnold                        Ben Hanowski

David Wolf                         Max Reinhart                   Hunter Smith

Turner Elson                      Mark Jankowski               Austin Carroll

Kenny Agostino                                                         Brian McGrattan

Bryce Van Brabant                                                    Devin Setoguchi

Left Defense                    Goalie                            Right Defense

Tyler Wotherspoon            Joni Ortio                        Mark Cundari

Ryan Culkin                       Brad Thiessen                Sena Acolatse

Patrick Seiloff                    Jon Gillies                       John Ramage

Brett Kulak

Keegan Kanzig

Eric Roy

RFA:

Keep:

Lance Bouma

Michael Ferland

Mikael Backlund

Drew Shore

Turner Elson

Kenny Agostino

Bill Arnold

Max Reinhart

Mark Cundari

John Ramage

Let Walk:

Paul Byron

Ben Hanowski

Sena Acolatse

I like the way Paul Byron plays but I am not sure there is much room for him on the roster next year so I would move on. Hanowski doesn't have the skating ability to play a regular shift in the NHL so that's why I would move on from him. Don't really know enough about Acolatse but we need to make room for some of the guys moving up from junior.

UFA:

Keep:

David Schlemko

Karri Ramo

Let Walk:

Raphael Diaz

Corey Potter

Brian McGrattan

Devin Setoguchi

Brad Thiessen

I prefer Schlemko to Diaz or Potter as the 6th/7th defenseman. It's time to move on from McGrattan and Setoguchi. I think Gillies will be making the jump to the AHL next year and I am not sure there is room for Thiessen.

Unsigned Prospects:

Mark Jankowski

Hunter Smith

Austin Carroll

Eric Roy

Jon Gillies

Austin Carroll is out of junior eligibility and is having a very good year so signing him makes sense. I believe that Smith is also out of junior eligibility so signing him also makes sense. Eric Roy will have to signed or he can re-enter the draft, I am ok either way but he has started putting up numbers as of late and we don't really have a ton of defense prospects so signing him wouldn't hurt. Mark Jankowski and Jon Gillies both have another year of college eligibility but I would like to see them make the jump to the next level. Gillies for sure, there is a case that Jankowski could benefit from another year in college where he would be the man.

Players making the jump to Pro:

Sam Bennett

Morgan Klimchuk

Keegan Kanzig

Bennett will most likely make the jump straight to the NHL, Klimchuk and Kanzig will be heading to Stockton California.

I think Ferland, Poirier and Granlund are borderline to make it on the big club out of camp next year. I would like to see Calgary add another top 6 winger and a top 6 defenseman.

Hathaway and Stevenson are making a big case for being signed for next season (AHL). Hathaway is a Bouma clone, while Stevenson is a hulking D-man. Carr may also get signed if Gillies stays in college an extra year.

I would keep Acolatse, but let Reinhart walk. Roy hasn't been very impressive. Gilmour could get signed, assuming he wants to leave college. Rafikov could be here this summer too.

Hathaway and Stevenson are making a big case for being signed for next season (AHL). Hathaway is a Bouma clone, while Stevenson is a hulking D-man. Carr may also get signed if Gillies stays in college an extra year.

I would keep Acolatse, but let Reinhart walk. Roy hasn't been very impressive. Gilmour could get signed, assuming he wants to leave college. Rafikov could be here this summer too.

I would be alright with giving Hathaway a two way deal, he looked good in camp and has 14 goals this year, he also has size at 6'2" 200lbs. Stevenson is a big dude at 6'4" 220 lbs, but at 26, and the fact that we have a lot of younger defensemen who are going to need playing time, I would pass on Stevenson.

I am not ready to give up on Reinhart yet, he lead the Heat in scoring last year, so I would re-sign him to see if this year was just a blip on the radar or the norm. I would sign Roy before Gilmour. Gilmour doesn't put up much offensive numbers for a smaller defenseman.

I forgot about Rafikov I will have to put him and Hathaway on my chart.

I would be alright with giving Hathaway a two way deal, he looked good in camp and has 14 goals this year, he also has size at 6'2" 200lbs. Stevenson is a big dude at 6'4" 220 lbs, but at 26, and the fact that we have a lot of younger defensemen who are going to need playing time, I would pass on Stevenson.

I am not ready to give up on Reinhart yet, he lead the Heat in scoring last year, so I would re-sign him to see if this year was just a blip on the radar or the norm. I would sign Roy before Gilmour. Gilmour doesn't put up much offensive numbers for a smaller defenseman.

I forgot about Rafikov I will have to put him and Hathaway on my chart.

I had seen Stevenson list as 6'6", so that was the hulking comment. 6'4" at 220 is big. He is older because he was a NCAA player up to the end of last year. The fact that he has 74 PIM this year tells me he is not like Breen we had a few years ago; not soft like butter.

Reinhart hasn't been able to make the cut. I like the player, but he won't get a chance here.

Roy's number may look good, but he hasn't been able to take his game to the next level. He doesn't have great defensive instincts. Gilmour is a defensive D-man playing on a defense-first team, so I wouldn't expect him to have great numbers.

Hathaway supposedly blocks shots the way Bouma does. Similar stats to Bouma at that age and level. Solid and willing to stick up for his team.

I was looking at the some of the upcoming UFA's and there were only a few players that were of any interest to me; Martin St. Louis he is really the only true top 6 forward available. Francois Beauchemin who is a physical, shut down defenseman, with good leadership qualities. Johnny Oduya another shut down defenseman who has a won a cup.

Another thing to consider is that we could offer sheet Derek Stepan and the Rangers might not be able to match. He is a good right shot center.

I don't think we need to worry about Center. Bennett, Monahan, Backlund, Jooris, Shore, and Stajan (not to mention Colborne).

Scoring wingers? Especially a RHS RW? That would have my attention.

Why can't Stepan be shifted to the wing? I like having centers sprinkled through the lineup. I prefer Jooris on the wing.

Another post that I agree with much of.

Minor changes to signings:

According to your lineups above, Ferland plays in Stockton, so there is room on Calgary's roster for Byron.

I'd keep Hanowski over Agostino only because he's a RW and has a better shooting %.

I'd keep Acolatse over Ramage for his better offensive upside.

I'd wait on any decision regarding Schlemko until the season ends. I just haven't seen enough of him.

Any decision on Theissen should wait on what Gillies decides about his final year in college.

My Flames lineup:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler (top line, scoring and defense)

Raymond - Bennett - Jooris (somewhat sheltered scoring line)

Bouma - Backlund - Jones (shutdown line)

Bollig - Stajan - Colborne (energy line)

Spares - Byron & Shore

I could see Jooris and Colborne switching lines at times depending on the opposition.

A single change from this year isn't going to cut it. Not only are you not bringing up deserving prospects, but you'll potentially lose several on waivers. Need to trade out several of the borderline vets.

My reasoning is about making the entire corps better and I think those changes do just that giving the players you match up with Brodie and Russell compliment each other. You could leave it all the same and work on only the 3rd pairing but if you want a top 4 RHS defenseman then this is how I see it.

I don't think you should fear changing things up, if it isn't working all of the same players are still here.

An example: what if we successfully traded for Seabrook a premier RHS defenseman, would you stick him on your 3rd pairing ? or would you make some changes ?

My reasoning is about making the entire corps better and I think those changes do just that giving the players you match up with Brodie and Russell compliment each other. You could leave it all the same and work on only the 3rd pairing but if you want a top 4 RHS defenseman then this is how I see it.

I don't think you should fear changing things up, if it isn't working all of the same players are still here.

An example: what if we successfully traded for Seabrook a premier RHS defenseman, would you stick him on your 3rd pairing ? or would you make some changes ?

Lets worry about a hypothetical "what if" when we actually acquire Seabrook. Then we can figure out the best place for him with the personnel we have.

You made no mention of any names in your  previous example and you were obscure in your quality of player, mentioning only that they were more defensively minded. You then just started to change the pairings up(all of them) and figured it would be better for everyone on the D.

If you are watching closely the Gio Brodie pairing, you would see that they don't need a more defensively minded pairing because they are defensively minded for each other.  I can't remember the last time I saw both Gio and Brodie go offensive at the same time. They work well together and a D minded defenceman would not be any help and I think would actually hinder either one of them.

Russel and Wideman not so much. Wideman has shown he can play with Smid and Engelland along with whoever they give him to work with on the PP.

There is good reason why our D is so active and good reason why they are 4 of the top 7 scorers on our team.

Wrong. My first posting had Luke Schenn included, maybe you don't think worthy enough so I used Seabrook to make my point.

In regards to Brodie I watch just as much hockey as you do and I know that Giordano's solid play brings Brodie's game to where it is. Having said that Brodie gets better with every year of experience thus why I wouldn't be afraid to pair him with someone else.

If you can get quality time out of all 3 pairings wouldn't this be a good thing ?

The only thing I will say about defensive pairings is this. Gio and Brodie or Brodano are outstanding as a tandem. Why break that up? The rest? Sure depending on who we land or who fights for the positions.

You could get Seabrook and I wouldn't break up our first pairing for him. 

Archived