Flames 2015-2016 Roster

darth_henning

I don't think we need to worry about Center. Bennett, Monahan, Backlund, Jooris, Shore, and Stajan (not to mention Colborne).

Scoring wingers? Especially a RHS RW? That would have my attention.

And Granlund as well. I also wouldn't complain about Stepan, Bennett could play wing, Jooris and Colborne both play RW as well.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Granlund as well. I also wouldn't complain about Stepan, Bennett could play wing, Jooris and Colborne both play RW as well.

Come on guys... The ideal is to have our prospects playing their natural position not shuffle our centers all to the wing so you can insert your <trade proposal> into the lineup.

Come on guys... The ideal is to have our prospects playing their natural position not shuffle our centers all to the wing so you can insert your <trade proposal> into the lineup.

Ideal in most cases yes, but then again guys like Byron and Bouma (both natural Centers) play far better on the wing. And Jooris along with Colborne play RW where we only have 1 natural RW on a nightly basis (Jones).

I also said I wouldn't complain about Stepan, didn't say it was a thing we should actively pursue (since it would be offer sheet, I don't really want to give up a whole lot for him and have the Rangers try that back at us).

JG  /Mony / Hudler

Raymond / Bennett / Jones

Bouma / Backs / Colborne

Bollig    / Staj (Shore) / Shore

Ferland

We need a upgrade over Raymond.  Ferland/wolf/bolig  whatever there although I have not seen enough of wolf to make a real statement.  Jones will be a maybe after next season.  Hope Poirier can make a step up and fit into 2nd line whether that's next season or later.   

Gio / Brody

Russell / wides

Wotherspoon / Engelland

Engelland is ours as I don't think anyone else will pay what the flames did.  Time to break Wotherspoon in and see if he can make it.  Would love to find he can play 2 nd line pairing and shelter wides on 3 line with PP time.  Yes I think wides  is a liability at times in our zone.

Goalies is a big ??  Is ortio going to be good enough to be a starter in a year or two???  Maybe sign Ramo and flip a coin to see who gets traded between him and Hiller.

A lot of others to slot in somewhere or trade (Granlund etc.)

It's easier to say where we need upgrades then to figure out who's going where.

I posted this in the State of the Rebuild Specifically D thread, but I think that Murray and Miller make the 3rd pairing D next year.  If we assume that Smid is done due to his injury, Potter and Shelmko are sent to Stockton, that leave Engelland and Diaz left to deal with on D.

Things can change rapidly, as per the Morrison signing yesterday. All the can be said is upgrades would certainly help and are needed.

Just heard Adirondack just signed another college free agent defenseman on a ATO. I just remember he's Belorussian, 6'9" I believe with limited to no offensive stats. BT is leaving no stone unturned to try and find some more D gems.

I posted this in the State of the Rebuild Specifically D thread, but I think that Murray and Miller make the 3rd pairing D next year.  If we assume that Smid is done due to his injury, Potter and Shelmko are sent to Stockton, that leave Engelland and Diaz left to deal with on D.

Miller?

Things can change rapidly, as per the Morrison signing yesterday. All the can be said is upgrades would certainly help and are needed.

Just heard Adirondack just signed another college free agent defenseman on a ATO. I just remember he's Belorussian, 6'9" I believe with limited to no offensive stats. BT is leaving no stone unturned to try and find some more D gems.

Oleg Yevenka he's a 6'7" 230lbs defenseman with a mean streak.

The situation has become a good scenario because of the depth building and the versatility within the ranks. Let's consider that the line of Gaudreau, Monahan and Hudler stays together next year. Further let's assume Giordano and Brodie stay together.

Lines

Gaudreau, Monahan, Hudler

Raymond, Colborne,Bennett

Bouma, Stajan, Jones

Bollig, Shore, Jooris

Defense

Girodano, Brodie

Russell, (new)

Wotherspoon, Engelland

Goal

Ramo, Hiller

This would leave a good number of players available for trades.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Bouma - Backlund - Colborne

Ferland - Bennett - Poirier

Wolf - Stajan/Shore- Jooris

Giordano - Brodie

Russell - Wideman

Wotherspoon - Engelland

Hiller

Ramo

That gives us the ability to trade Jones, Raymond, Bollig for more picks. Or to upgrade the 3rd pair d

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Ferland - Bennett - Poirier

Wolf - Stajan/Shore- Jooris

Giordano - Brodie

Russell - Wideman

Wotherspoon - Engelland

Hiller

Ramo

That gives us the ability to trade Jones, Raymond, Bollig for more picks. Or to upgrade the 3rd pair d

I kind of like the gist of your line-up, though would probably switch Hudler and Poirier, and have Arnold and Byron(?) as spares.  Also look to trade on of the goalies (Hiller). For sure I'm agreeing we'll be needing 3-4 current vets moving on via trade (preferable) or not re-signing.

If they were to trade Raymond I would be tempted to use Poirier on LW second line. Remember they will have to keep some salaries around to meet the floor. There is no way I would want Bouma playing 2nd line regardless of his current scoring touch. Backlund has to go, he just becomes a no show way to often and we have better players now.

Arnold and Byron ?? really

I don't think you're giving Backlund enough credit. Look who he is playing with. Jones and Bouma. Neither of them are very creative and one guy can only do so much if the others aren't up to his ability. He has already made Bouma and Jones better. Not to say that they've not done their share. 

But I get you, during that point streak he had, I was thinking, man, Backlund needs to do more, get more points. Here he had like an 6-8 game point streak. He's not flashy. He won't need to be either, that's what Monahan/Gaudreau and guys like Bennett would be for. I think Backlund needs size, and someone else up to Jones' skill level to play with as well.

I don't think you're giving Backlund enough credit. Look who he is playing with. Jones and Bouma. Neither of them are very creative and one guy can only do so much if the others aren't up to his ability. He has already made Bouma and Jones better. Not to say that they've not done their share. 

But I get you, during that point streak he had, I was thinking, man, Backlund needs to do more, get more points. Here he had like an 6-8 game point streak. He's not flashy. He won't need to be either, that's what Monahan/Gaudreau and guys like Bennett would be for. I think Backlund needs size, and someone else up to Jones' skill level to play with as well.

This.

Backlund drives possession against some tough matchups, he creates solid secondary scoring, and he makes mediocre linemates better (not trying to knock Bouma or Jones, but they're realistically not what you want for top 6 forwards). I don't mind that he does it quietly and without everyone noticing...that just means we may be able to re-sign him for less.

In my books, he would make the perfect third line centre (second until Bennett is ready to join Mony on the top two lines). He's a super reliable two way player that can take tough matchups to free up the top two lines. He has the ability to play up and down the lineup on any line and any forward role if needed. He kills penalties and can be used on the power play. He's a team first guy who would be happy taking on that role (ie: he doesn't need to feed an ego).

My only concern with him is that he has yet to put in a full season without injury. But if he could do that, I don't think we could ask for a better third line centre.

If we can get him on a reasonable contract, I definitely want him to stick around as our 3C...

I think our 3rd line in a few years could be Bouma-Backlund- Colborne

That's a pretty decent line that should put up 40-ish goals per year and play good shut-down against other teams

Not bad at all.

Theoretical 2018/2019  Roster:

Gardeau - Monahan - Hudler

Jooris - Bennett - Poirier (or swap with Hudler pending chemistry)

Ferlund - Granlund - Shore

Gio - Brodie

Russell - NEW

NEW - Kanzig

Ortio

NEW

Sorry robrob, I am just not buying it anymore with Backlund. The guy gets injured, takes forever to comeback, scores a handful of goals and disappears when the team needs him the most. Bouma and Jones have shown well this year but this needs to be tempered, both are no more than 3rd liners.

I'm not saying he is a terrible player but I would head into next year with Monahan, Colborne, Bennett, Stajan, Shore and Jooris battling it out at C for lines.

Sorry robrob, I am just not buying it anymore with Backlund. The guy gets injured, takes forever to comeback, scores a handful of goals and disappears when the team needs him the most. Bouma and Jones have shown well this year but this needs to be tempered, both are no more than 3rd liners.

I'm not saying he is a terrible player but I would head into next year with Monahan, Colborne, Bennett, Stajan, Shore and Jooris battling it out at C for lines.

Compare Colborne and Backlund for "fancy stats"; it like looking at an NHL player and a AHL'er. Jooris started out strong, but his injury put a crimp in it. Stajan is comparable, but getting up there in years and doesn't score much in a season; good 4th line safety though. Shore is an unknown but may be something in the future. Bennett is projected to be a scoring center, so he doesn't replace Backlund.

Monahan is a mix of scoring and solid defense. Bennett looks like he'll be mostly offense with some D. Backlund is definitely possession/Defense first, but with a good scoring upside. That's the exact mix I'd be looking for with a set of 3 centers.

The question is will he accept that role as a 3rd line (or 2B line) center? and commensurate pay?

We have other options that are good at center (Jooris, Colborne, Granlund, Shore), but none play the same game as Backlund, and I'd rather seem them flanking those three listed above in some combination.

Archived