Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

Not to be repetitive you have to win to get in. OT and shootout losses don't cut. LA just pulled off 3 straight wins, Win just keeps winning, we limp along. The only team that is a threat to LA, WIN is us. We seem to step up when needed, but this club has looked average the past few games. Nerves, out skilled or tired no clue, all i know is they better find another level they can't afford another loss

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plain & simple...Time to win & keep winning. Our competition isn't going to do it for us.

The Rangers are the 1st team to clinch.

Congratulations to them even though I am not even remotely a fan.

They are in my 25th-29th range. Anyone familiar with me know who I place 30th!

2014-15%20Playoff%20Projection%202015-0335330

Some thought we had the better schedule .. It was those games against the stars and Avs I was scared of. Plus the other power houses. Not saying I knew, but we've played these situations all year. No matter what so far we are winners.

Love this team. Gfg

Just because teams aren't playing teams doesn't mean a thing. It's tough to win. They can so do it

Every time I look at the OOT scoreboard.

deathbulge-comics-dinosaurs-t-rex-193796

Its very unlikely that we manage to make the playoffs the way things are going out there at this point. One point back of LA, 3 behind WPG and Van

Our next four games all look like losses: Wild, Preds, Stars, Blues....

Edmonton and Arizona are 'should wins', but oh wait...so were both Colorado games and Dallas, and we picked up 3 of 6 points...

Not a good time for the team to be missing the easy ones. 

We're going to have to beat at least 2 if not 3 of those next teams. Nashville we've managed to beat twice, the wild and Blues have our numbers though...

At this point, if we lose the tie-breaker and LA gets 2 or 3 points up on us we can call it a season sadly.

Stinks to lose the playoff spot we've held essentially all year in the last 3 weeks....

When the Flames are behind after the 1st or 2nd period, do you stop watching?  I always have this feeling that they are going to do something special, and most of the time they do.  I only stop watching when the final whistle blows.  The road has been good to CGY and we are good against the West.

The projections are based on teams maintaining their win percentages.  LA has been tough, but Quick will fold like a cheap map if he gets behind too much. Vancouver losing to Colorado makes it interesting; Miller may be back before the playoffs or they will have to "depend" on Lack of Luck.  Minnie is as close to a lock as you can get, but can they maintain this torrid pace?  WPG is iffy, has a tough sched, but could still get the last WC spot.

When the Flames are behind after the 1st or 2nd period, do you stop watching?  I always have this feeling that they are going to do something special, and most of the time they do.  I only stop watching when the final whistle blows.  The road has been good to CGY and we are good against the West.

No, I don't, but it seems like despite the fact that the team (and many of the players individually) have made gigantic strides this season that no one expected, we just might not be ready yet.

The 8 game losing streak. Shut out twice in New York with the best goaltending we had all year. And now losing to Colorado and Dallas when those were essentially must-win games.

It stings to admit it, but unless we can beat three of the next 4 teams (which we don't have a record of doing except against Nashville), we are going to be out. That's not a good position to be in with this few games left.

Don't get me wrong, its still a very successful season, and we've done things that no one expected. We went from lottery candidate to bubble competitors in essentially one season. That's pretty amazing. Especially when you consider that we still have guys like Bennett, Shore, Wolf and Poirier in the pipeline preparing to make the jump in the next season or two.

We have one of the top 3 D-pairings in the league when Gio gets healthy, and a very solid 3-4. Engellend's stepped up and can hopefully maintain this play. Schemko is a great free pickup who I think likely has a place net year.  And we have 3 good options in goal.

Whether we make it or not, its a fantastic season. But unfortunately too many mistakes has put us in the position where making the playoffs is now going to be rather unlikely.

No, I don't, but it seems like despite the fact that the team (and many of the players individually) have made gigantic strides this season that no one expected, we just might not be ready yet.

The 8 game losing streak. Shut out twice in New York with the best goaltending we had all year. And now losing to Colorado and Dallas when those were essentially must-win games.

It stings to admit it, but unless we can beat three of the next 4 teams (which we don't have a record of doing except against Nashville), we are going to be out. That's not a good position to be in with this few games left.

Don't get me wrong, its still a very successful season, and we've done things that no one expected. We went from lottery candidate to bubble competitors in essentially one season. That's pretty amazing. Especially when you consider that we still have guys like Bennett, Shore, Wolf and Poirier in the pipeline preparing to make the jump in the next season or two.

We have one of the top 3 D-pairings in the league when Gio gets healthy, and a very solid 3-4. Engellend's stepped up and can hopefully maintain this play. Schemko is a great free pickup who I think likely has a place net year.  And we have 3 good options in goal.

Whether we make it or not, its a fantastic season. But unfortunately too many mistakes has put us in the position where making the playoffs is now going to be rather unlikely.

I guess the difference between us is that I feel that CGY has a chance to win every game, no matter who, no matter what the score is after 2.  Doesn't make any difference what our record is against other teams, or whether they have beaten us this season.  We are going to lose games against teams we may have thought would be easy.  We are going to win games against teams we supposedly don't have a chance against.

Forget about what the last result was. Our top line will come through for us.  Our goaltending will be just enough for us to get in.  Our D-men will do what they have all year.  Our secondary scoring will alternate good and bad.  Overall, we are a better performing team than most of the "playoff" teams.

These are the remaining games for each season.

Winnipeg seems to have the hardest schedue, which makes them probably our best chance to leapfrog. But the question is do we really want to play St Louis or Nashville first round?

Calgary - 87:

Minnesota (03/27)
Nashville (03/29)
Dallas (03/30)
St Louis (04/02)
Edmonton (04/04)
Arizona (04/07)
Los Angeles (04/09)
Winnipeg (04/11)

Winnipeg - 90:

Chicago (03/29)
Rangers (03/31)
Vancouver (04/04)
Minnesota (04/06)
St Lous (04/07)
Colorado (04/09)
Calgary (04/11)

Los Angeles - 88:

Minnesota (03/28)
Chicago (03/30)
Edmonton (04/02)
Colorado (04/04)
Vancouver (04/06)
Edmonton (04/07)
Calgary (04/09)
San Jose (04/11)

These are the remaining games for each season.

Winnipeg seems to have the hardest schedue, which makes them probably our best chance to leapfrog. But the question is do we really want to play St Louis or Nashville first round?

Calgary - 87:

Minnesota (03/27)

Nashville (03/29)

Dallas (03/30)

St Louis (04/02)

Edmonton (04/04)

Arizona (04/07)

Los Angeles (04/09)

Winnipeg (04/11)

Winnipeg - 90:

Chicago (03/29)

Rangers (03/31)

Vancouver (04/04)

Minnesota (04/06)

St Lous (04/07)

Colorado (04/09)

Calgary (04/11)

Los Angeles - 88:

Minnesota (03/28)

Chicago (03/30)

Edmonton (04/02)

Colorado (04/04)

Vancouver (04/06)

Edmonton (04/07)

Calgary (04/09)

San Jose (04/11)

It looks like Winnipeg could be in for a 5-game losing streak starting right now.

LA has started their playoff mode so i think they will be uncatchable.  It looks like they can win 6 of their last 8 games so that's going to be tough for the Flames to beat.

I guess the difference between us is that I feel that CGY has a chance to win every game, no matter who, no matter what the score is after 2.  Doesn't make any difference what our record is against other teams, or whether they have beaten us this season.  We are going to lose games against teams we may have thought would be easy.  We are going to win games against teams we supposedly don't have a chance against.

Forget about what the last result was. Our top line will come through for us.  Our goaltending will be just enough for us to get in.  Our D-men will do what they have all year.  Our secondary scoring will alternate good and bad.  Overall, we are a better performing team than most of the "playoff" teams.

That seems to be the general feeling among the chat regulars. Our team doesn't throw in the towel so neither do we.

A win over the Wild tonight will be a good start.

Rock & Roll! :)

This game tonight, is the most pivotal of them all. If we can pull off a win it will provide a much needed shot of adrenaline to push us forward. LA gets Minny Saturday after us. The lesson's from this run are actually invaluable. You can not set up any situation in practice to emulate this type of situation. 

We have been average as of late, tonight is must of 60 minutes. I truly believe we win this game we get in. 

Although the possibility exists to get in with a few losses, with the way Winnipeg, Vancouver and LAK are playing its pretty much we've got to win out to both catch up and to keep pace.  If the others lose that's a bonus.  Tonight is pretty much a must win.  If we lose we lose control and will be counting on someone else for a chance.

So according to the chart above we would now need to go 5-1-1 to make playoffs

We already have almost a guarunteed loss against St Louis, so in our other 6 games have to go 5-0-1

This will be extremely tough.

The loss of Giordano just caught up to us, we were able to keep trucking with the offensive output of our top line, but I think Russell, Wideman, and Engylland just ended up burning out.

Either way, what an awesome exciting season, and I can't wait for next year with Giordano healthy all year and another young gun in Bennett ready to step in and hopefully contend for the Calder.

Regardless of whether we make it or not, 2 things are for sure 1. Gaudreau has to win the Calder, at his size to do what he's done is amazing, and 2. Hartley has got to win Jack Adams, we were pegged to contend for Mcdavid or Eichel at the beginning and here were are in the final 10 games in the playoff picture, unbelievable!

Well said Kipper14. It's been an awesome year for Flames fans. Rebuilds don't have to be long and painful and the Flames have proven that and earned the respect of the entire NHL. It would be a great story if they make the playoffs but if they don't...it'll be sincere motivation this off season. This will be an extremely tight knit group next year building off this seasons successes and experiences especially in the face of so many doubters. Bennett is putting up McDavid numbers at this pace..finally the Flames have truly gifted and talented prospects. No dissapointment in this team at all. I counted them out many of those games only to have them embarass me over and over again. Not sure why some are still quick to write them off...they still can make the playoffs, they've proven us wrong all season

Consider BT made the Raymond, Bollig and Setoguchi signings last offseason because he wasn't sure if he had quite enough of a team to ice.

Now he sees what he's got and has a lot to work with.

I really don't care if we slot at picking 14 rather than 2nd. It was worth it.

This year we proved inertia and moving forward. Not uncertainty and a high pick for being atrocious.

This year we started becoming a problem. We've only just begun *cue the Barbra Streisand* lol

It's all good.

Easily the most entertaining team this year. Hockey lives on here.

It is getting harder to remain a member of good standing in The Army of Positivity.

The 1st wild card spot is now realistically unattainable.

We can still do our part & finish strong but the OOT requirement from others may become a necessity.

One of VAN, LAK, and WPG will have to falter...

2014-15%20Playoff%20Projection%202015-0335988

We still have a chance though, and that is something. If we don't make it, I would still count this season as a resounding success overall. And of course that would leave us to make our greatest coup this season. All teams not in the playoffs have a chance at the number 1 pick.... watch us get it if we don't get in.

This season has been entertaining. Just the WTF moments on the number nerds was the best icing on the cake. Many player's had great breakout season. I don't put our inability to make the playoffs on the Gio injury, more of we are an average team that over achieved.

Our goal tending was the largest reason for our success. We still need to improve drastically next season. I would love to say Hartley and JH win awards but they won't, We needed to make the playoffs. I know many are optimist and the coaches and player's will spew the hoop la, but we have been drastically out played against top ranking teams when it matters.

The icing on the cake is I see us finishing 12 to 13 and winning the draft lottery.  That would be the perfect ending to what has been a great year.

This season has been entertaining. Just the WTF moments on the number nerds was the best icing on the cake. Many player's had great breakout season. I don't put our inability to make the playoffs on the Gio injury, more of we are an average team that over achieved.

Our goal tending was the largest reason for our success. We still need to improve drastically next season. I would love to say Hartley and JH win awards but they won't, We needed to make the playoffs. I know many are optimist and the coaches and player's will spew the hoop la, but we have been drastically out played against top ranking teams when it matters.

The icing on the cake is I see us finishing 12 to 13 and winning the draft lottery.  That would be the perfect ending to what has been a great year.

If ever I wish there to be a conspiracy, this would be the best time to have one. If any team deserves a miracle of good fortune, it would be the Flames this year. 

This is another reason it would be neat if the lottery kept going until the very last ball was taken out. Teams could move up or down and it wouldn't matter what their position in the standings would have been. You could essentially win or lose. 

Eichel is a Defensemen?

My way of the draft would be awesome because it would be cool to even move up a few spots to 10th or something like that… 

They'd still weight the balls, but just pull every ball out as they come and that's the picking order for the teams. Do the same for the playoff teams and then it becomes even more of a spectacle come draft lottery day.

That's instead of having one winner and then the rest of the standings stay the drafting order. 

I still hope we can somehow leap-frog someone and get in.

That said, say we don't and we did somehow get lucky enough to win the lottery, would we take McDavid? Or Eichel?

McDavid is obviously outstanding, but with Monahan and Bennett as our probable top two, and Backlund, Jooris, Shore, Colborne and others available for the bottom two, would it be helpful to have another center (and force someone to convert to wing) or go after a stud D-man who will be with the team for years?

A future D-core in 5-7 years of Brodie, Eichel, Russell, and Kanzig with whoever we picked up in years to come looks pretty good....

Mcdavid is a no brainer i feel but Eichel is a pretty good consolation prize

Im still hoping for some support as well, but this season is a success story no matter what . And to make things even sweeter, ot appears Edmonton cant even lose right , their current win streak has them out of the McEichel sweeps with a good chance of even surpassing Toronto .

I will giggle myself silly if just about any team longshots into the top spot and knocks Buffalo down to #2 and keeps the other obvious tankers (Phoenix, TO, etc) out of even the top 2

Archived