Flames Defense

CheersMan

On 2/23/2017 at 1:20 AM, AlbertaBoy12 said:

You are being a bit dramatic I've also played D my whole life. Brodie has played left D in his career, it's not a new thing for him. While I agree the reads are different on opposite sides of the ice and it can be different, a high level NHL player shouldn't have a rough time. Brodie hasent struggled as much as everyone is making it out to be as cross pointed out, I personally don't think he has played that badly, he's struggled at times it happens.

Don't think I was being dramatic at all. In fact, I raved about Brodie's ability in my first paragraph. I didn't say the sky was falling with Brodie's game, I was simply providing a counter-argument to what JTech said about left/right side isn't a big issue. As a long time defenceman yourself, I'm sure you feel more comfortable on one side versus the other. That's all I was saying in my post - no drama - but "side does matter" ;):o:P 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2017 at 4:08 PM, lou44291 said:

Don't think I was being dramatic at all. In fact, I raved about Brodie's ability in my first paragraph. I didn't say the sky was falling with Brodie's game, I was simply providing a counter-argument to what JTech said about left/right side isn't a big issue. As a long time defenceman yourself, I'm sure you feel more comfortable on one side versus the other. That's all I was saying in my post - no drama - but "side does matter" ;):o:P 

Brodie has been terrible.

Seeing Stone supporting was a relief in the FLA game.

And Bart isn't optimal, but am I actually seeing more of our dmen (the new adds), pinning the puck carrier??

That's new!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

And Bart isn't optimal, but am I actually seeing more of our dmen (the new adds), pinning the puck carrier??

That's new!

That's good, we needed defensemen that can be tougher on the puck in our end. I think Jokipakka and Kulak are good young defensemen that will come along in that area.

I wouldn't mind having J Pak back as a 6/7 Dman, he's not shutting teams down every night but he has familiarity with the system and I think he could still develop. We all know what became of Anton Stralman so he could be a player that comes into his own as he develops over time. He also would come cheap

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That's new!

In my limited viewings, pinning forwards to the boards appears to be one of Stone's strong points.

5 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

In my limited viewings, pinning forwards to the boards appears to be one of Stone's strong points.

It's something I remember Burke commenting on re: the D acquisitions.

I'm glad that their eyes caught that in our defending. Hard to keep the play to the outside when you don't tie guys up.

One thing I've really liked about Stone, is he gets right beside Brodie to support him if he has to, swap sides, whatev.

Wideman was always stuck in, "should I, umm, umm".

JBo used to do precisely the same with Gio.

Stone has impressed me, he's being what we needed, we didn't need spectacular.

BT on NHL Radio said when he talked to Stone he told him, "you aren't coming here to be our saviour, so relax about that".

These 2 additions on D are turning out to be very shrewd by our GM.

We'll see, I like the additions but I really want to see how they perform against some of the top teams..L.A might put things in perspective. Burke made a good point about the importance of doing deals prior to the deadline as the players have a few games before TDL to get acclimated with the team. A lot of these last minute deals, especially D men could really affect a teams groove..especially if their in the midst of a win streak. 

9 hours ago, rickross said:

We'll see, I like the additions but I really want to see how they perform against some of the top teams..L.A might put things in perspective. Burke made a good point about the importance of doing deals prior to the deadline as the players have a few games before TDL to get acclimated with the team. A lot of these last minute deals, especially D men could really affect a teams groove..especially if their in the midst of a win streak. 

You mean top teams like tampa and florida or nashville? While I agree the game against LA tuesday will be interesting, I dont know if I consider them a top team anymore, they are struggling to produce offence this year, it should be a good game though.

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

You mean top teams like tampa and florida or nashville? While I agree the game against LA tuesday will be interesting, I dont know if I consider them a top team anymore, they are struggling to produce offence this year, it should be a good game though.

We had trouble in the past against LA, but we were struggling at the time.  We also had Grossmann on the ice.  When was the last time the 3M line was -2 and every single forward (except Ferland) was a minus on the ice?  LA struggles to score now.  We don't o much, plus we are getting at least league average goaltending.

Just now, travel_dude said:

We had trouble in the past against LA, but we were struggling at the time.  We also had Grossmann on the ice.  When was the last time the 3M line was -2 and every single forward (except Ferland) was a minus on the ice?  LA struggles to score now.  We don't o much, plus we are getting at least league average goaltending.

We seem to be building some real momentum with parts of our game coming together. Should the team continue to progress I like our chances for getting in the playoffs.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Are you agreeing with me? or what?

We are going back to game on nov 3, and we are going to talk about us vs LA tommorrow like thats the comparison? Should we go over some of the highlight reel plays by grossman in that game?

I agree you throw out the LA game this year. That was one of their worst efforts of the season and really only Tkachuk showed up. 

That being, I don't disagree LA is going to provide a test. Flames have been better against the big and heavier teams this year but it's also a small sample size. I agree it will be interesting to see whether or not things like Ferland in the top 6 and Stone on D will impact their ability to play LA hard. 

If we will our game onto LA, and we will, this is all for naught.

I think we're in this thing, for keeps.

This is the time of yr when you need a lot go right, we are crushing it.

We are definitely relevant, to the surprise of many.

Well.......surprise!!

Thanks for the 60 game warm ups...lol.

We're a lot better than we've been...A LOT BETTER.

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Are you agreeing with me? or what?

We are going back to game on nov 3, and we are going to talk about us vs LA tommorrow like thats the comparison? Should we go over some of the highlight reel plays by grossman in that game?

A bit of both.

LA is a still a threat.  I'm not as worried about them as last season, but they still are in the picture playing without their top goalie and mostly getting a single goal per game.

Other than Grossmann, we still have mostly the same team.  We need to score against a Sutter-style team.  They can lock down a one goal lead.

I like what Ive seen from both defenders, they are a serious upgrade over the old man and fringe talent waiting on the farm.

Id be ok with bringing both back into the fold if we paid based on where they slot in over the next two seasons.

Stone $3.25 for 3 years

And Bart id give league minimum, 1-2 year to play bottom pairing mins.

Anything more and I would pass.

We have 3 Dmen in the AHL and NCAA who have an opportunity to make the jump into a top 4 roll over the next two years and I would hate to over pay for a couple of ok insurance policies.

54 minutes ago, TrippinVdUb said:

I like what Ive seen from both defenders, they are a serious upgrade over the old man and fringe talent waiting on the farm.

Id be ok with bringing both back into the fold if we paid based on where they slot in over the next two seasons.

Stone $3.25 for 3 years

We have 3 Dmen in the AHL and NCAA who have an opportunity to make the jump into a top 4 roll over the next two years and I would hate to over pay for a couple of ok insurance policies.

Bartman hasn't been bad.  I don't know if he looks any better than Kulak, but at least he plays big.  After this season, we have to add to the roster to replace Engelland.

Neither Bartman nor Stone really fit that spot.  Maybe Andersson is ready.  Maybe Kylington will be more NHL capable than Kulak.

I don't see either Hickey or Fox in the picture for a few years.  I was kind of hoping Ollas-Mattsson would come over soon and sign here.  He's a big body player that might replace some of the grit Engelland brought.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

A bit of both.

LA is a still a threat.  I'm not as worried about them as last season, but they still are in the picture playing without their top goalie and mostly getting a single goal per game.

Other than Grossmann, we still have mostly the same team.  We need to score against a Sutter-style team.  They can lock down a one goal lead.

I agree completely. I wasent trying to understate how important this game will be or what a threat LA is going to be. I just agree with you, they arent as dangerous as past years and look to be on the backside of winning a cup now.

14 hours ago, TrippinVdUb said:

Stone $3.25 for 3 years

Bartkowski is signed for next season at 612,500.00

12 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I agree completely. I wasent trying to understate how important this game will be or what a threat LA is going to be. I just agree with you, they arent as dangerous as past years and look to be on the backside of winning a cup now.

LA is always dangerous and should never be taken lightly. I have to believe the acquisition of Bishop by Lombardi was a way of providing a vote of confidence into a veteran team.

It's no coincidence the Flames are winning after Wideman has been a healthy scratched by the coach. He is too slow and soft on defense. What always irked me was why he would try to play goalie and block the shot all the time. I think he's scored more own goals than goals for the Flames this season.

Widemen wasn't playing with much heart..the guy needs a change of scenery after all that's happen the last 2 years. Flames have really improved as a D unit..at the start of the season we would get LIT UP every game. They've been managing 1-2 goal games more often with the help of Elliots play of course. Flames have great mobility on defence with the big 3, Stone and Engelland have been solid "stay at home'' D men but we could still use an upgrade at crease clearing D man in the off season. I would hate to be in Minny's position with all those good D men available to be plucked by Vegas