Flames Defense

CheersMan

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

You really want your post count up eh TD? ;)

You are assuming that Wideman will not play any better then he did the first two games. assuming he won't get any better is equally as flawed as saying that if he got back in he will play better. Also, for the record I am not suggesting he would play as well as he did 2 year ago. I'm just saying in the past he reponsed well to being sat down so I see no reason to write it off now and say that he won't respond and play better this go around. If he doesn't then sit him again.

At the end of the day we are talking about someone who is likely going to play 3rd pairing for 15 mins a night.If Widmean can take care of the puck better we are not having this conversation and taking care of the puck is a correctable issue. 

I was trying to figure out how best to use him with the existing lineup.  Pairing him with Engelland is not a wise move.  He didn't excel in that role last year.  You are right, he could take the scratch as a motivation thing, but it still requires him to play on his weak side.  Or Engelland.

I don't see a great fit unless you use the following pairs:

Gio-Brodie

Jokipakka-Hamilton

Kulak-Wideman or Kulak-Engelland or Kulak-Grossman

I'm not saying that Kulak is the greatest since sliced bread, but you need someone with some speed to help that 3rd pairing.

BTW, there's no way I can catch up to the post counts of the likes of you.  ;)

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe it was just my screen but that post of yours is showing up about 5 or 6 times so was making a joke. Was not a comment in regards to the quality of the post or anything like that. 

For what is is worth, D pairings today at practice were the same. Grossman - Wideman as the extra pairing. 

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If you keep spamming, you just might...   Can't help but notice that you have double posted a few times lately...   But 17 duplicate posts in a row has to be a new board record...   :lol:

Maybe you should get a mod to fix that...   :ph34r:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Well every coach has to give their veteran players a shot he cant have wideman sit in the pressbox the rest of the season. At the same time two seasons ago BH had wideman sit in the pressbox and he had his best season, so who knows. I feel like GG is a better coach then BH, so we will see what he does with wideman.

I think GG will be taking into account practice times and seeing who is getting his system down. Wideman will get back in just a matter of when.

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I was trying to figure out how best to use him with the existing lineup.  Pairing him with Engelland is not a wise move.  He didn't excel in that role last year.  You are right, he could take the scratch as a motivation thing, but it still requires him to play on his weak side.  Or Engelland.

I don't see a great fit unless you use the following pairs:

Gio-Brodie

Jokipakka-Hamilton

Kulak-Wideman or Kulak-Engelland or Kulak-Grossman

I'm not saying that Kulak is the greatest since sliced bread, but you need someone with some speed to help that 3rd pairing.

This is definitely how to look at the situation however GG has said he will get down to 7 defensemen eventually. I have a feeling Kulak will go down, I don't like it as I don't think we need Grossman. Would BT be BOLD enough to buyout Wideman ?

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

This is definitely how to look at the situation however GG has said he will get down to 7 defensemen eventually. I have a feeling Kulak will go down, I don't like it as I don't think we need Grossman. Would BT be BOLD enough to buyout Wideman ?

Can he even buyout wideman at this point? I thought there was the specific periods for buyouts.

On another note I as well see the 10 posts from TD about the same thing.

37 minutes ago, Carty said:

If you keep spamming, you just might...   Can't help but notice that you have double posted a few times lately...   But 17 duplicate posts in a row has to be a new board record...   :lol:

That's weird.  I only see single posts from myself.  Maybe sometimes the edit function creates a 2nd post, but looks normal to me.  Don't think I edited any today anyway.

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Can he even buyout wideman at this point? I thought there was the specific periods for buyouts.

On another note I as well see the 10 posts from TD about the same thing.

TD loves to get his point across. LOL

The mod could take away 9 of them. LOL

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

That ship has sailed.  No buyouts allowed after the first window, and we didn't take advantage of the 2nd one by taking anyone to arbitration.

46 minutes ago, Carty said:

Ok, so I found all the dupes and deleted them all.  The site had some hiccups this morning, so it seemed to repost the same post a bunch of time.  Weird.  I think the autosave function is creating some issues.

BTW, even with all those crap posts, it didn't change my post count.  So there.:P

58 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's weird.  I only see single posts from myself.  Maybe sometimes the edit function creates a 2nd post, but looks normal to me.  Don't think I edited any today anyway.

It's mostly cleaned up now, but it was spread from page 41 to 42...   :lol:     Now it's just a double post on page 41 starting with "Here's the problem" (2nd & 3rd posts from the bottom where you quoted cross)...  Not that I really care about the double post, just trying to be helpful in case there is a hiccup with the new board software...  

Just now, Carty said:

It's mostly cleaned up now, but it was spread from page 41 to 42...   :lol:     Now it's just a double post on page 41 starting with "Here's the problem" (2nd & 3rd posts from the bottom where you quoted cross)...   Not that I really care about the double post, just trying to be helpful in case there is a hiccup with the new board software...

I deleted all but the original.  All cleaned up.  It wasn't me posting a bunch of times.  Hit "Submit Reply" once.  There was a site issue for about 15 minutes, where it was down.  Maybe when they recovered it, it stored it a bunch of times.  ANyway, haven't seen any doubles recently.  Had one about an hour ago, but quickly deleted it.  None since.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ok, so I found all the dupes and deleted them all.  The site had some hiccups this morning, so it seemed to repost the same post a bunch of time.  Weird.  I think the autosave function is creating some issues.

BTW, even with all those crap posts, it didn't change my post count.  So there.:P

Umm no. You assume you got them all and it was just a hiccup. You are wrong.

eb6069512e73ded2e618d658c7608dd6.png

bottom of page 41 you still have a double post in between Cross's posts.

I don't think this is a hiccup at all.  It looks like a IP Boards thin, as Oiler Boards it is running rampant with multiple posters double posting.

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Umm no. You assume you got them all and it was just a hiccup. You are wrong.

bottom of page 41 you still have a double post in between Cross's posts.

I don't think this is a hiccup at all.  It looks like a IP Boards thin, as Oiler Boards it is running rampant with multiple posters double posting.

I missed a couple by the looks of it.  Which is strange, because I was pretty intent on my search and destroy mission.  Double posting is one thing, but I posted exactly one item and there were something like 17 copies.  I still assume it was a hiccup, since there were no other 17 repeat posts on this oe any other thread.  I had one other double post show up.  

On 10/17/2016 at 0:47 PM, Carty said:

He's already passed you & is closing in on me. :lol:

I remember when I joined the Flyers board many moons ago we required about 200 posts to start a topic. I had no burning need to start any as there is usually some existing thread that covers the point (saving the mods from having to keep merging them) but the old hands advise on posting in toyland (general conversations/off topic stuff). In those days they were fun 1s like trivia & the like (it was 1 of the more active boards) but for me the object was fun.

Last change over (password thing) I didn't care about my count. I just wanted my name, avatar & signature back.

Looking back keeping a guy like Anton Stralman in the system would have paid dividends today. It's too bad we're stuck with Wideman this season, he's good for the PP and has a nice shot from the point but I can't ignore his defensive lapses anymore. I personally think Kulak has been one of our most improved D players, he's been on the fringe for a couple years now but atleast he can keep pace with today's NHL. Other than providing grit and size the Grossman signing is still a head scratcher. It's always a risk when a new coach comes in and tries to turn his man crush on former players into reclamations projects.

2 hours ago, rickross said:

Other than providing grit and size the Grossman signing is still a head scratcher. 

Its not a head scratcher, the grossman signing takes us right to the cap or 8000$ away from it I wanna say. This means when smid gets put on LTIR, if he does we get the full bonus of it where as if we didnt have the grossman signing we wouldnt get the full bonus of LTIR. There was an article on flames nation about it.

3 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Its not a head scratcher, the grossman signing takes us right to the cap or 8000$ away from it I wanna say. This means when smid gets put on LTIR, if he does we get the full bonus of it where as if we didnt have the grossman signing we wouldnt get the full bonus of LTIR. There was an article on flames nation about it.

Correct, but its also a Dman who the coach is famaliar with and a guy he very likely has trust in. I would get the compliant if he was jamming him into the lineup but he isn't. Signing an NHL proven dman for basiclaly league minimum is hardly a head scratcher. I don't like Grossman but its a logical signing. 

• Like 1

Count me in on the camp who has been disappointed by Hamilton up to this point.  Simply put, i don't see elite hockey smarts.

Hamilton has "adequate" hockey IQ coupled with extremely gifted athletic abilities for a big guy.  Such a smooth skater for his size, great wrist shot, plays with a short stick so he gives up shot power for stick handling abilities, which suits his game well.  He's willing to hit and throw his weight around.  But boy, when it comes to intuition and reaction time, Hamilton is never going to be a stud #1 Dman.

Sure, you can say it's my fault i expected Hamilton to be a #1 stud Dman and that I should be happy if he settles into a nice 2/3/4 for his career.  Okay, but i just view it as a waste of such a complete athletic package.  Think Dion Phaneuf to a certain degree or a better comparable might be Jay Bouwmeester.  I also want to throw in a 23-year-old Mark Giordano into the conversation because Gio flashed elite hockey smarts right from his NHL debut.  The guy's X's and O's were stud just naturally without having to start low and then learn the game with ice time.  Giordano wasn't a big framed player that one would expect from a stud #1 Dman but Giordano has also been lucky the game has changed over the last 10 years and has helped the small skilled players excel.

Anyways, back to Hamilton.  I watch him and never come away with the feeling like, "Wow that was smart, you can't teach that."  Which i would when i watch Giordano or Brodie.  And that's the problem with Hamilton.  He just doesn't have the smarts that you can't teach. There's no reason to believe he will ever acquire it.  Sure, you can argue a giant like Zdeno Chara never became elite until he was 30... because it took him awhile to realize what he does best.  He was never the sharpest tool early in his career either.  Let's hope i'm wrong and Hamilton can became that #1 stud elite Dman with the Flames soon enough.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Count me in on the camp who has been disappointed by Hamilton up to this point.  Simply put, i don't see elite hockey smarts.

Hamilton has "adequate" hockey IQ coupled with extremely gifted athletic abilities for a big guy.  Such a smooth skater for his size, great wrist shot, plays with a short stick so he gives up shot power for stick handling abilities, which suits his game well.  He's willing to hit and throw his weight around.  But boy, when it comes to intuition and reaction time, Hamilton is never going to be a stud #1 Dman.

Sure, you can say it's my fault i expected Hamilton to be a #1 stud Dman and that I should be happy if he settles into a nice 2/3/4 for his career.  Okay, but i just view it as a waste of such a complete athletic package.  Think Dion Phaneuf to a certain degree or a better comparable might be Jay Bouwmeester.  I also want to throw in a 23-year-old Mark Giordano into the conversation because Gio flashed elite hockey smarts right from his NHL debut.  The guy's X's and O's were stud just naturally without having to start low and then learn the game with ice time.  Giordano wasn't a big framed player that one would expect from a stud #1 Dman but Giordano has also been lucky the game has changed over the last 10 years and has helped the small skilled players excel.

Anyways, back to Hamilton.  I watch him and never come away with the feeling like, "Wow that was smart, you can't teach that."  Which i would when i watch Giordano or Brodie.  And that's the problem with Hamilton.  He just doesn't have the smarts that you can't teach. There's no reason to believe he will ever acquire it.  Sure, you can argue a giant like Zdeno Chara never became elite until he was 30... because it took him awhile to realize what he does best.  He was never the sharpest tool early in his career either.  Let's hope i'm wrong and Hamilton can became that #1 stud elite Dman with the Flames soon enough.

I agree with you that I am not seeing elite status either. I think that the Flames believed that he would require a few years before his elite status came into being. You know, D take longer to mature than forwards etc. etc.

I think Hamilton is greatly underappreciated here.  Not just by fans, but by coaching staff as well.  By many statistical measures he is one off our best, including points per 60 and CF%, all while playing with a revolving door of partners of lesser caliber.  Who was his most common partner last year?  I think it was Russell, who we all know was a possession anchor last year.  So lets give him a bit of slack here.  He may not be flashy, but he is very good on both sides of the puck, will hopefully have a better partner this year with Jokipakka, and is still pretty young.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I don't think you are really giving him much of a chance.  He played under BH for a season, being buried for half a season, and last on the list for PP time.  Once he settled into the Flames systems, which were not exactly airtight defensively, he started looking more like a 2nd pairing D-man.  Is he a complete player yet?  Of course not, he's 23.  I don't think you can compare his play to Gio at the same age, because the development paths are/were different.  If you can predict what he will be in 5 years, I applaud you.