The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

On 7/30/2021 at 12:20 PM, cross16 said:

For what it's worth, Ryan Pike of Flames nation says he has seen the inside renderings and he was impressed. 

I agree, the outside doesn't' really matter much. 

true, thats just curb appeal.. TBH I'm glad its not some big behemoth in the middle of the neighborhood 

I dunno if I will ever watch a game there. 

I went to Calgary just to watch a game once and I tried to cheer and get the crowd going. And some guy yelled and told me to shut up and keep quiet. Trying to watch a game! I probably should have broke up with the Flames then and there!

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I went to Calgary just to watch a game once and I tried to cheer and get the crowd going. And some guy yelled and told me to shut up and keep quiet. Trying to watch a game! I probably should have broke up with the Flames then and there!

We definitely could be louder lol.   But, we're not really rioters so we have that going for us   

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Shhhhh, you need to be quiet in the library.

Times do change.  I would imagine it used to be a place to conduct oil business or entertain clients.  I think those days have mostly passed.  Could be wrong.  I did enjoy any games I watched there.  Especially a BOA game.  The press level seats seemed to be a bit noisier, but we aren't Smashville level.  Not even close.  Then again, we have played a lot of bland hockey.  If it seems dull on TV, then in person effect isn't much better.    

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i know what you are referring to but I did notice a distinct shift in crowd when the team fell on hard  times in the early 00's. Many corporations gave up their season tickets and when the big ticket push was on "real " fans bought them.. so its been 100% better since then. Like JJ said we may not be rioters but games got more fun for sure after that .  also when it really matters , it's insane.. went to one of the 2004 Finals games and my ears were ringing for a week . It was non stop deafening from puck drop to final buzzer 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

i know what you are referring to but I did notice a distinct shift in crowd when the team fell on hard  times in the early 00's. Many corporations gave up their season tickets and when the big ticket push was on "real " fans bought them.. so its been 100% better since then. Like JJ said we may not be rioters but games got more fun for sure after that .  also when it really matters , it's insane.. went to one of the 2004 Finals games and my ears were ringing for a week . It was non stop deafening from puck drop to final buzzer 

Confirmed, the most electric this place has ever been, has been during rebuilds ..  ;)

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

27 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I don't know what it was, but growing up going to games got a little maddening.  I would watch games on tv of crowds going nuts after goals and then going to games and trying to do the same and getting dirty looks from people behind me if I stood up for a goal.  I think the shift was definitely the '04 run and few seasons after.  I equate it more to age and drunkedness of the crowd.  The '90's and early 2000's drove the young adults and teens away, even in their good years they found ways to lose to teams they should destroy in the first round followed by the young guns era.  '04 Made it cool again for the young people to pay $100 a seat and  $5 a beer.  But I think we are in another shift as the '04 jumpers have fallen off due to the lack of success or have other priorities in life, and the younger fans don't have any connection to '89 or '04 so aren't looking to pay $100 a seat or $11 a beer when they have other things to do.  I think crowds are more energized now than when I was a kid, but still its not as good as it used to be.  Even playoffs the energy has toned down quite a bit, I remember game 6 Vancouver in '04 and the crowd was still rocking after the Canucks went up 4-0 early in the 2nd, then 2 years ago in game 2 with a 1-0 series lead Colorado scores to make it a 1-0 game and it was quite dead.  The young people need something to get excited about with this team, I don't even know if we have any regular posters here in the 18-25 range.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Yeah, the trick is to sit in the nosebleeds, and optimally, for a game against the Oilers. That's where you'll find me and the rest of the riff raff, and it's excellent!

Love.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, the trick is to sit in the nosebleeds, and optimally, for a game against the Oilers. That's where you'll find me and the rest of the riff raff, and it's excellent!

Love.

The competing chants are awesome.

"Let's go Oilers"

"Oilers suck".

The only thing I didn't like about PL was the vertigo-inducing walk.

3 of the last 4 games I saw there, I was given lower bowl upgraded seats by staff to fill it up a bit more.

On 8/5/2021 at 8:25 AM, jjgallow said:

We definitely could be louder lol.   But, we're not really rioters so we have that going for us   

bring back Susan Smith and get rid of the freggin Cowboy.. He lacks emotion.. No wonder we have crappy starts.. Team is asleep at the wheel

28 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

bring back Susan Smith and get rid of the freggin Cowboy.. He lacks emotion.. No wonder we have crappy starts.. Team is asleep at the wheel

get the Stampede cheerleaders in! 

or stop with the country music. Or find some heavy metal country! Could be a new genre! Let’s get @Heartbreaker in on this! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

get the Stampede cheerleaders in! 

or stop with the country music. Or find some heavy metal country! Could be a new genre! Let’s get @Heartbreaker in on this! 

It seems like we are confused.

AC-DC to bring the team in.

Organ music and a cowboy singing an drab version of the anthem.

In Tampa, they did a decent enough job of it.

Operaman in VAN was better than Georgie.

Almost makes you want to riot.