The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Do you put lipstick on pigs?  :lol:

The part that was even more disturbing than the dolled up pig was when he followed it up with...

17 hours ago, ABC923 said:

But do you really want to invite your friends or lovers over to hang out at your parents house when your over 30 years old?

I hope that's not the part flames-fan-in-jets-land meant when he said to leave his personal life out of this....

Unless maybe he has a crush on Miss Piggy...  :blink:

Image result for Hot Piggy

2 hours ago, Carty said:

The part that was even more disturbing than the dolled up pig was when he followed it up with...

I hope that's not the part flames-fan-in-jets-land meant when he said to leave his personal life out of this....

Unless maybe he has a crush on Miss Piggy...  :blink:

Image result for Hot Piggy

Sometimes you gotta be the one that brings home the bacon.

• Like 1

Does anyone on this board feel that Calgary's City Council has disclosed enough reliable financial information to allow you to make an informed choice on Calgary's Olympic bid?

Personally, I'd love to vote YES on the Olympic plebiscite.

I immensely enjoyed the 1988 Winter Olympics.

Never in my life have I felt as much pride in my City, Province, and Country as during those magical days.

But I'm feeling that the current City Council is being much too secretive on the details, and as a taxpayer, I'm not willing to just write a blank cheque to them.

Unfortunately, If they do not release more unbiased financial figures before the election, I'll probably vote NO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Does anyone on this board feel that Calgary's City Council has disclosed enough reliable financial information to allow you to make an informed choice on Calgary's Olympic bid?

Personally, I'd love to vote YES on the Olympic plebiscite.

I immensely enjoyed the 1988 Winter Olympics.

Never in my life have I felt as much pride in my City, Province, and Country as during those magical days.

But I'm feeling that the current City Council is being much too secretive on the details, and as a taxpayer, I'm not willing to just write a blank cheque to them.

Unfortunately, If they do not release more unbiased financial figures before the election, I'll probably vote NO.

It is almost impossible to provide an accurate cost estimate. You have in front of you perimeters of cost and who is contributing towards those costs. To vote YES allows them to put in a bid to be awarded the Games, Step 1. To vote NO puts an end to it. I am like yourself wanting to see us old them here one more time before I go in the ground. It is a leap of faith at this stage however I am voting YES.

So if the federal government is kicking in my tax dollars, do I get a vote too?

Should just do a nationwide plebiscite every 10 yrs.

Do you want Canada to host the Olympics?

I'd vote No every decade.

The Olympics have become nothing more than a bloated whale of $10bil of taxpayer dollars that governments treat like found money.

How about investing that in free education?

That's an investment I could get behind, our youth. A few weeks of sports? Blockchain that.

51 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

So if the federal government is kicking in my tax dollars, do I get a vote too?

Should just do a nationwide plebiscite every 10 yrs.

Do you want Canada to host the Olympics?

I'd vote No every decade.

The Olympics have become nothing more than a bloated whale of $10bil of taxpayer dollars that governments treat like found money.

How about investing that in free education?

That's an investment I could get behind, our youth. A few weeks of sports? Blockchain that.

Doesn't really matter as the plebiscite is non-binding.  They will go ahead and put in a bid anyways.

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The City has spoken. Voted against the Olympic bid. Probably the right call, as it would be IMO a colossal waste of money for a two week party. I’m not a Calgary taxpayer so I can’t reallt be too critical of those who voted yes or no 

Unless Ive been misinformed the final result is non-binding. legally I think city council can still do whatever they want either way.

22 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Unless Ive been misinformed the final result is non-binding. legally I think city council can still do whatever they want either way.

From what I understand, the other money for it was contingent on the YES vote.

It's pretty much a non-starter now and the coincil will vote to withdraw the bid.

Not a well thought out strategy if they really wanted the bid to go through.

Bid is dead unless the city and Bidco can find a way to replace the 2.3 billion in funding the Feds and Province put up. 

May be a surprise to some but I ended up voting yes. I think it was a good idea and a good funding model thst would have done great things to correct a very deficient sporting infrastructure in Calgary. I'm sad that complete lack of leadership at our City Hall wrecked what could have been quite the legacy. Can't believe we have to ride out 3 more years of this brutal city council.