The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

10 hours ago, sak22 said:

https://youtu.be/HaTlJW9nVrA

If he is, he isn't a happy one.

I'm just saying that he sounds like a troll trashing the team.  I've heard it so much before.

The clue is to always bring in EDM to the discussion.

They live in the past so much that it comes into every discussion about their team vs CGY.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 30, 2018 at 8:11 AM, travel_dude said:

I'm just saying that he sounds like a troll trashing the team.  I've heard it so much before.

The clue is to always bring in EDM to the discussion.

They live in the past so much that it comes into every discussion about their team vs CGY.

Have you ever been sufficiently masochistic to read comments on Sportsnet? Any story that includes "Calgary" at all is certain to bring out a swamp of Oiler trolls. It could be a story about Babcock driving to Humboldt from Calgary and they lose it.

I guess when you are unemployed at 40, live in your mom's basement, spend all your time posting on the Internet in your underwear, you may as well live in Edmonton.

46 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Have you ever been sufficiently masochistic to read comments on Sportsnet? Any story that includes "Calgary" at all is certain to bring out a swamp of Oiler trolls. It could be a story about Babcock driving to Humboldt from Calgary and they lose it.

I guess when you are unemployed at 40, live in your mom's basement, spend all your time posting on the Internet in your underwear, you may as well live in Edmonton.

I try not to. As it is the FN blogs get inundated with troll posers. Have flames based avatars or names but they are trolls. If you read #flames twitter you see a guy named Cloutier that used to write for Eklund. He was such a Homer you would think that the Oilers were playoff contenders in the decade of darkness. He got the boot and opened his own blogs. He trashes everything flames. 

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I try not to. As it is the FN blogs get inundated with troll posers. Have flames based avatars or names but they are trolls. If you read #flames twitter you see a guy named Cloutier that used to write for Eklund. He was such a Homer you would think that the Oilers were playoff contenders in the decade of darkness. He got the boot and opened his own blogs. He trashes everything flames. 

Some of those dudes seem to have mental health issues. Flames Obsession Disorder should be in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Probably Mark Spector

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

Some of those dudes seem to have mental health issues. Flames Obsession Disorder should be in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

LOL, It may have stemmed from the 80's when it was more than just a game. Here's hoping we get back in the race.  Don't care about the Coilers.

Calgary BidCo released their draft proposal on their plan to bid for the 2026 Olympics. Not surprisingly the proposal does not call for a new arena but does call for renovations to the Dome as well as McMahaon.I saw not surprising because we can't expect Bico to get involved in a public-private discussion. 

However, interested that they are proposing both a field house as well as a 5,000 seat area. Interesting because even though he is no longer an employee, I remember one of the first comments Burke made about the team was he felt they needed a new practice facilitiy and their current facilities across the board, weren't good enough for an NHL franchise. At least 1 councillor has floated the idea of combining that 5,000 seat arena with a new NHL arena and creating an event center similar to Edmonton. 

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Calgary BidCo released their draft proposal on their plan to bid for the 2026 Olympics. Not surprisingly the proposal does not call for a new arena but does call for renovations to the Dome as well as McMahaon.I saw not surprising because we can't expect Bico to get involved in a public-private discussion. 

However, interested that they are proposing both a field house as well as a 5,000 seat area. Interesting because even though he is no longer an employee, I remember one of the first comments Burke made about the team was he felt they needed a new practice facilitiy and their current facilities across the board, weren't good enough for an NHL franchise. At least 1 councillor has floated the idea of combining that 5,000 seat arena with a new NHL arena and creating an event center similar to Edmonton. 

In 1988 the city put up temporary bleachers and stands on the north and south ends of McMahan Stadium to accommodate open and closing ceremonies, thirty eight years later they propose the same thing.  UNBELIEVABLE!  

I'm embarrassed for my city.  :wacko:

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Calgary needs more arenas in general.  Ever try to book ice for shinny?  It's like impossible.  We need a Winsport in all four quadrants of the city.

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

In 1988 the city put up temporary bleachers and stands on the north and south ends of McMahan Stadium to accommodate open and closing ceremonies, thirty eight years later they propose the same thing.  UNBELIEVABLE!  

It would be a massive waste of money for the City to build a stadium larger than McMahon. Stamps are not even averaging 30K fan a game right now and even when things were good it was low 30s. Temporary seating like that is going to take place, new facility or not. 

The plan also calls for more than just putting up some temporary bleachers, but I get that won't satisfy many in regards to McMahon. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Calgary needs more arenas in general.  Ever try to book ice for shinny?  It's like impossible.  We need a Winsport in all four quadrants of the city.

Agreed. Even outside arenas, I think from a recreation perspective the City is far behind on multiple fronts. Arenas, Fieldhouse', rec centers, bike baths etc. Need far more recreational investment IMO. 

I just thought this was specifically interesting because of the Flames desire to get their own practice facility, which is becoming customary for most NHL franchises. 

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It would be a massive waste of money for the City to build a stadium larger than McMahon. Stamps are not even averaging 30K fan a game right now and even when things were good it was low 30s. Temporary seating like that is going to take place, new facility or not. 

The plan also calls for more than just putting up some temporary bleachers, but I get that won't satisfy many in regards to McMahon. 

Agreed. Even outside arenas, I think from a recreation perspective the City is far behind on multiple fronts. Arenas, Fieldhouse', rec centers, bike baths etc. Need far more recreational investment IMO. 

I just thought this was specifically interesting because of the Flames desire to get their own practice facility, which is becoming customary for most NHL franchises. 

I get that some teams share their arena with NBA.  But why can't the Flames practice at the Dome?

37 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The inner city rinks are horrible too.

Hillhurst, Jack Setter, Henry Viney, etc.  Need to level them and rebuild as modern twin or quad facilities, land space permitting.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I get that some teams share their arena with NBA.  But why can't the Flames practice at the Dome?

They do, at leat most of the time. They'll get kicked out for events from time to time.

Idea behind a practice facility is not as much practice as it is the facility. Allows to add more in your training room, gym, treatment and player care areas and have it all under 1 roof. I know they have that now, but i'm also under the impression it's lagging behind in terms of NHL standards and given the constraints of building it within an arena you are limited. 

47 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I'm not so sure Calgary should be going for these Olympics at all give the uncertainy of our Provincial economy. It isn't like these Olympics are big money makers any longer most post losses. We as a City should focus on a new Arena for now.

Vancouver made tens of millions from their Olympics. One big reason why Winter Olympics lose money is these countries build new roads and develop a new ski resort.  Vancouver didn't have to do that.  Calgary will neither.

But for me personally, this idea that hockey will be played un Edmonton, ski in Whistler... Bleh.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Vancouver made tens of millions from their Olympics. One big reason why Winter Olympics lose money is these countries build new roads and develop a new ski resort.  Vancouver didn't have to do that.  Calgary will neither.

But for me personally, this idea that hockey will be played un Edmonton, ski in Whistler... Bleh.

I don't think that is accurate Peeps. At least i've seen nothing that suggests that. Most of the stuff I've read suggests Vancouver probably at best broke even.. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-2010-winter-olympics-debt-free-vanoc-final-report-says-1.2695994. However, I agree in theory that most of these games lose money because they end up having to build all brand new facilities. Calgary does have a unique advantage in terms of hosting a games that may not be such a loser in comparison to other ones. 

That being said, I also don't disagree with MAC that when you look at all 3 level of government, this is not exactly a great time to be discussing spending billions of dollars on the Olympics. 

But it's also hard to quantify. Vancovuer spent hundreds of millions of taxpayer money on infrastructure upgrades that most studies don't include in the cost of the games. So the question of "is it worth it" is in the eye of the beholder. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/vancouver-olympics-worth-the-7-billion-price-tag-study-says/article15036916/

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think that is accurate Peeps. At least i've seen nothing that suggests that. Most of the stuff I've read suggests Vancouver probably at best broke even.. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-2010-winter-olympics-debt-free-vanoc-final-report-says-1.2695994. However, I agree in theory that most of these games lose money because they end up having to build all brand new facilities. Calgary does have a unique advantage in terms of hosting a games that may not be such a loser in comparison to other ones. 

That being said, I also don't disagree with MAC that when you look at all 3 level of government, this is not exactly a great time to be discussing spending billions of dollars on the Olympics. 

But it's also hard to quantify. Vancovuer spent hundreds of millions of taxpayer money on infrastructure upgrades that most studies don't include in the cost of the games. So the question of "is it worth it" is in the eye of the beholder. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/vancouver-olympics-worth-the-7-billion-price-tag-study-says/article15036916/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_the_Olympic_Games

Well according to wiki, Vancouver made money.

But I do agree it's hard to put a final cost to it all because certain infrastructure projects can be considered part of regular maintenance and upgrade, not for Olympics per se.  

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe according to creative accountants like Arthur Andersen.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

And, as usual, they went over budget. That is, after the numbers were actually released. The IOC is always intentionally vague about what the hosting nation is expected to pay for. And in the end, the GVRD got all of the benefits of the Olympics while the rest of BC had to pay and pound sand. Total rip. Vancouver should have paid full rocket for those games.

If we host the Olympics, I believe that it is because Nenshi likes them. He can fricken well go and see them on his dime IMO. They are a completely corrupt private organization. They are not the public games of times past. If we basically give those jerks all of that cash, I consider city council to be as corrupt as the IOC. The Flames would be completely justified in leaving Calgary. I mean, seriously, pay for a bunch of one-time use venues for sports few play that suck cash big time, and ignore a company that does have some measure of economic benefit over several decades!? Crazy.

I have never pretended to be some well connected person and I certainly am not wealthy. I do know first hand, however, that the city is pushing this through inappropriately. They are not allowing independent analysts to examine the matter objectively. Anyone who isn't a cheerleader for the games is simply pushed out. Surprise, everyone they ask is in favour of the games! I used to think that Nenshi was a good mayor. Now, I am on the fence.

3 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

And, as usual, they went over budget. That is, after the numbers were actually released. The IOC is always intentionally vague about what the hosting nation is expected to pay for. And in the end, the GVRD got all of the benefits of the Olympics while the rest of BC had to pay and pound sand. Total rip. Vancouver should have paid full rocket for those games.

If we host the Olympics, I believe that it is because Nenshi likes them. He can fricken well go and see them on his dime IMO. They are a completely corrupt private organization. They are not the public games of times past. If we basically give those jerks all of that cash, I consider city council to be as corrupt as the IOC. The Flames would be completely justified in leaving Calgary. I mean, seriously, pay for a bunch of one-time use venues for sports few play that suck cash big time, and ignore a company that does have some measure of economic benefit over several decades!? Crazy.

I have never pretended to be some well connected person and I certainly am not wealthy. I do know first hand, however, that the city is pushing this through inappropriately. They are not allowing independent analysts to examine the matter objectively. Anyone who isn't a cheerleader for the games is simply pushed out. Surprise, everyone they ask is in favour of the games! I used to think that Nenshi was a good mayor. Now, I am on the fence.

The other thing, to be someone who lives in Vancouver since well before the Olympics, the housing marking was on a slow rise, but it sky rocketed and the city is nearly unaffordable to live in, for those who should be considered middle income. 

Just to buy a house it is well over 1M. The cost of everything has risen as well. Sure, inflation is a thing, but.... in reality, I should’ve been born 5-10 years earlier or went to school earlier to get myself in the housing market sooner.

After their studies, the city of Vancouver sees low income housing rents as over 3,000.00/month.

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I do know first hand, however, that the city is pushing this through inappropriately. They are not allowing independent analysts to examine the matter objectively. Anyone who isn't a cheerleader for the games is simply pushed out. Surprise, everyone they ask is in favour of the games! I used to think that Nenshi was a good mayor. Now, I am on the fence.

You mean politicians are corrupt?  I never thought I'd hear that from you.

10 hours ago, CheersMan said:

5.23 Billion.. So what does it get you???

40b317fc26f8d60aff21e4ed40c9e055.png

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-olympics-cost-1.4818444