The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

So Garth Brooks is going to play 7 concerts, as of now, in Calgary in September. Played 9 in Edmonton.

so much for all that missed revenue Calgary lost on because Edmonton will get all the good shows now and Calgary won't.... Big blow to the whole economic debate for a new area. Not saying a new arena is not needed, it is, but really gets tougher and tougher to justify a large use of public money or that there will be a huge public benefit at least economically. 

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

So Garth Brooks is going to play 7 concerts, as of now, in Calgary in September. Played 9 in Edmonton.

so much for all that missed revenue Calgary lost on because Edmonton will get all the good shows now and Calgary won't.... Big blow to the whole economic debate for a new area. Not saying a new arena is not needed, it is, but really gets tougher and tougher to justify a large use of public money or that there will be a huge public benefit at least economically. 

Now it is Lady Gaga passing us up.. The list will continue to grow despite Garth Brooks coming to Calgary as an afterthought.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

All part of the negotiation process, I expect a deal to be worked out after the upcoming election.

I don't think you can really call it negotiation.  Nenshi put the arena as part of his election platform.  That is now dead.  Pretty poor political move to have no talks with the Flames since July and talk about an arena as part of your platform.  As bad as King looks, the mayor looks like a liar.  

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think you can really call it negotiation.  Nenshi put the arena as part of his election platform.  That is now dead.  Pretty poor political move to have no talks with the Flames since July and talk about an arena as part of your platform.  As bad as King looks, the mayor looks like a liar.  

Yup.. and he was very matter of fact about how the arena "would be nice, but not necessary".. in other words it was a very  city slanted deal..

well.. I'm actually running for council so maybe I can get a say  when they kick this crew out LOL

1 hour ago, Davis1891 said:

Is this worth worrying over, or just political maneuvering?

I’d say a little of both.

A few months’ back King was quoted as saying something to the effect that;

“if negotiations do not go well with the city then the Flames would not threaten to move, they would just move”.

Today King says;

“we are done negotiating with the city, talks are over.”

King will never say he is now open to negotiate with other willing partners because that would alienate his local fan base, but rest assured any business would be taking a serious look at their options.

The Flames are intertwined in this community, they support and give back a large chunk. This maneuver would seem to elevate the issue just in time for the Municipal election.    

Do we want a city with or without the Flames?  It’s that simple, enough posturing, bluffing, ignoring, its time to make a deal……or not.  Make your choice, then live with the consequences. 

On 28/07/2017 at 11:27 AM, cross16 said:

The reason Garth Brooks didn't play the first time in Calgary is he could not set up his equipment in the arena because of the snow on the roof. His sound stage is partially suspended from the roof.

Calgary got lucky he came back.

1 hour ago, Davis1891 said:

Is this worth worrying over, or just political maneuvering?

Its following the standard recipe:

1. team wants a new stadium and money from the city

2. City says we have no money 

3. team preaches community benefit 

4. City preaches Tax dollars

5. team threatens to leave 

6. City says their bluffing

7. Posturing continues until deal is reached

In this case,  its no coincidence all things happen at the same time:

1. Election in approx 1 month -- its now a full election issue

2. Mayor FINALLY say what his end game really is 

3. Seattle announces a Stadium is going ahead  (now we have a real bargaining chip, since nobody believed Quebec)

If you recall Katz in Edmonton got his leverage by simply visiting Seattle 

what we likely have is 2 sides with heavily slanted proposals , remember to go with the stadium you have to figure out  taxes, concession and parking revenue, lease/ownership  issues .  I firmly believe Nenshi needs to go to make this happen,   He floated his Vic Park vision to give the public some warm fuzzies for the election so King had to do something drastic to ensure it stays an election issue and hopefully gets him out of there.

Trust me , this would have to drag on for 10 years before it even started to get risky of them leaving .. this will be resolved by Christmas 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dooyas said:

The reason Garth Brooks didn't play the first time in Calgary is he could not set up his equipment in the arena because of the snow on the roof. His sound stage is partially suspended from the roof.

Calgary got lucky he came back.

I actually have a direct source that said it happened cuz Garth told his people to "get it done "..

• Like 1

Astounds me the Flames owners can review kings performance ever year and still think this guy is the right person for the job. All the talk about how he was gojng to be different and wouldn't threaten to leave etc, he's done the exact same thing all presidents/owners do. Disappointing that the best the Flames can give us is king. 

Im not concerned. flames won't be going anywhere they just want to make this an election issue and get the public on their side because so far they've done a pretty poor job of that. No coincidence that they waited until Seattle announced their plans to make this "announcement"

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Astounds me the Flames owners can review kings performance ever year and still think this guy is the right person for the job. All the talk about how he was gojng to be different and wouldn't threaten to leave etc, he's done the exact same thing all presidents/owners do. Disappointing that the best the Flames can give us is king. 

Im not concerned. flames won't be going anywhere they just want to make this an election issue and get the public on their side because so far they've done a pretty poor job of that. No coincidence that they waited until Seattle announced their plans to make this "announcement"

Did Ken beat you up in grade school?  Maybe he crushed your hand in a hand shake?  Not sure what your dislike is for the man.  He mentioned non-chalantly months ago what he “could do”, never mentioned holding anyone hostage since.  I think King has taken the high road and acted professionally on these entire negotiations.  Let it be known that Cross elects to stand next to Nenshi waving bye to the Flames bus as it departs town.

17 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Did Ken beat you up in grade school?  Maybe he crushed your hand in a hand shake?  Not sure what your dislike is for the man.  He mentioned non-chalantly months ago what he “could do”, never mentioned holding anyone hostage since.  I think King has taken the high road and acted professionally on these entire negotiations.  Let it be known that Cross elects to stand next to Nenshi waving bye to the Flames bus as it departs town.

Actually should be known I've disliked Ken King for years, the arena situation is just another reason it's not the cause. 

Oh and I won't be voting for Nenshi either. Thanks. 

16 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

It's probably not that... 

I'm detecting a high level of arenis envy.

Love. 

As a comparable venture, I am including the EDM funding:

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/rogers_place/the-agreement.aspx

Specifically, the funding for the Arena:

Funding for Rogers Place

• Rogers Place is being built for $483.5 million, including underground parking.
  • The Katz Group is paying $132.5-million. $112.8-million of their contribution will be paid to the City as rent over 35 years, and cover the City’s principal and interest costs. The remaining $19.7-million will be paid as cash.
  • The City of Edmonton’s contribution of $226-million to the arena building includes funding through a Community Revitalization Levy, new parking revenues, and redirecting the current Rexall Place subsidy.
  • $125-million will be collected through a ticket surcharge.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

As a comparable venture, I am including the EDM funding:

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/rogers_place/the-agreement.aspx

Specifically, the funding for the Arena:

Funding for Rogers Place

• Rogers Place is being built for $483.5 million, including underground parking.
  • The Katz Group is paying $132.5-million. $112.8-million of their contribution will be paid to the City as rent over 35 years, and cover the City’s principal and interest costs. The remaining $19.7-million will be paid as cash.
  • The City of Edmonton’s contribution of $226-million to the arena building includes funding through a Community Revitalization Levy, new parking revenues, and redirecting the current Rexall Place subsidy.
  • $125-million will be collected through a ticket surcharge.

This is why I completely understand and side when the City when they say we need a made in Calgary deal. This was a horrible deal for the taxpayers of Edmonton and while I can understand why King and co want the same deal, just because Edmonton made a bad deal doesn't mean Calgary should too. Katz and co basically got Edmonton to build a fully tax payer funded arena and that is not something I want to see Calgary do. 

Both sides just need to put their egos aside and get back to work and the Flames need to be prepared to pony up a lot more money. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

This is why I completely understand and side when the City when they say we need a made in Calgary deal. This was a horrible deal for the taxpayers of Edmonton and while I can understand why King and co want the same deal, just because Edmonton made a bad deal doesn't mean Calgary should too. Katz and co basically got Edmonton to build a fully tax payer funded arena and that is not something I want to see Calgary do. 

Both sides just need to put their egos aside and get back to work and the Flames need to be prepared to pony up a lot more money. 

I wholeheartedly agree! Public funds are to be used for the benefit of the public like schools, roads, hospitals etc. NOT to help billionaires to create more revenue. I mean if the Amazon decides to bring their new facility to Calgary I can guarantee that City of Calgary will not partially fund to build their facility! There might be kickbacks but no direct funding. I'm sure those same kickbacks were offered to CSEC also!  I would LOVE to see these proposals and to see for real how the CSEC cannot afford to build the arena without public funding. Good video about the subject: Last week Tonight with John Oliver - Stadiums