The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

"Unlike in Toronto, where fans irrationally continue to go to games and pay high ticket prices to see the Maple Leafs lose, Edmontonians are less likely to support their team at all costs."

LOL.

I guess the question is, will/how long Edmonton lose out in tax dollars equivalent to $480-million if the Oilers move away?  Same goes to the Flames and Calgary.  How much tax dollars are lost if the Flames move to another city?

Would rather see them go to the Iron Mills area in the NE, North of the airport.  Forget centrally-located.  With #2 and Stoney Trail access is great and you could do some mega-development there....

No C-Train for the drunken ones and for office worker convenience.  Cab rides will cost way too much from crossiron to say, Silverado... what like $110 one way?  It doesn't work.

Would rather see them go to the Iron Mills area in the NE, North of the airport.  Forget centrally-located.  With #2 and Stoney Trail access is great and you could do some mega-development there....

The People beat me to the main issue - Cab and transit access is non-eistant out there. If they were to extend the C-train out to Balzac then you have a maybe.  But even then cab rides would be insane.

Stadiums have to be more central than that. So we're looking probably at the west downtown, or if they're willing to work with the stampeed, basically where it is now, or if the University will go aalong with it, where McMahon i now.

Those are the three most likely really.

As to the topic of public funding - the above suggestion of the city becoming a partner and profiting proportionally, that's a great idea to help expand the tax base in fuure, and help pay for needed infrastructure. Option2 woud be to fund it as a type of loan with an interest rate that garuntees the city some upside on the deal.

King is going to announce the plans in 2 weeks. It will be a central location.    I expect it to be the Greyhound/GSL area.

My preference has always been the McMahon Stadium area (tons of room, infrastructure already in place) as it could potentially be a sports district for the city.  Other preference would be Barlow\Max Bell C-train station area (more difficult for vehicle traffic, but transit is right there, plus it's in a prominent overlook of the city).

In my mind, the GSL/Greyhound area is too small and too awkward geographically to put a professional sports arena in.  Guess we'll find out in 2 weeks.

The location that makes the most sense would be East Calgary Village.  It's centralized, you step outside the arena and you can go north, south, east or west on the LRT.  There is little demo that will be required and the area is in need of a major face lift and tenant.  This area makes the most sense.

3900c25896220ad7a9307fa2bd5dc798.jpg

The location that makes the most sense would be East Calgary Village.  It's centralized, you step outside the arena and you can go north, south, east or west on the LRT.  There is little demo that will be required and the area is in need of a major face lift and tenant.  This area makes the most sense.

3900c25896220ad7a9307fa2bd5dc798.jpg

The Flames are too late into the game.  The entire East Village area has been sold to condo developers.  There is no more open land remaining.

http://www.evexperience.com/realestate

The Flames are too late into the game.  The entire East Village area has been sold to condo developers.  There is no more open land remaining.

http://www.evexperience.com/realestate

I wonder if Murray Edwards is a stake holder in East Village? :huh:

There is a nice big chunk of vacant land just south of railway tracks along 9 Ave SE.  The SE LRT is proposed to run through here as well.  

94479add9cf68fabe4514460f724d90b.jpg

Google maps using street view shows that property is owned/managed by Remington Developments.

There is a nice big chunk of vacant land just south of railway tracks along 9 Ave SE.  The SE LRT is proposed to run through here as well.  

fb5b45d36a230f3fdd109ac68cbfa8c0.png

And click this link for a very interesting pan of the area:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0389176,-114.0541345,221a,60y,1.08h,54.79t,360r/data=!3m5!1e4!3m3!1s0x5371700126dfa5bd:0xd66df8bf17f6ce8e!2e0!3e18

The railway has a very wide Right Of Way spanning halfway into what appears to be a giant vacant lot.  Only about 60% of the perceived size of the vacant lot is usable, unless they purchase all the houses on the two adjacent blocks to the South.  There's no a lot of room there for an NHL sized facility.

There are plans for that bus barn to be moved. They're expanding the others across the city, and building a new one (though I forget where). If they could wing a deal for that, and the vacant lot there might well be enough space, but barely.

However, there are two problems:

1) its not close to significant transit until the SE LRT gets built though, and that's estimated 20 years away. And the bus-only right of way will only be built in 5-10. I think that limits the abiity to utilize that land.

2) The block of houses on the east side is already spoken for for the two tower Orchard condo development. So expanding across 11th Ave won't happen.

They could fit a hockey stadium, and parking there, but I can't see them doing the entire project for hockey, football and conference facility that many expect in that area. There simply isn't space.

If they could buy up the GSL lot and the old Bus depot, then they hae space for a mega project ike that, and I think that's probably the place we'll see.

There are two big problems with the McMahon area. 1) The land is actuay owned by the University of Calgary, buying that out would not be an easy process in any way.  2) Though there is good transit access (routes 41, 47, 20, the LRT, and the future 16th avenue LRT) the area is a horendous bottleneck for vehicular traffic. - Crowchild slows to a crawl at the best of times in the area, 16th is a morass bounded by the lights at banff trail and 29th ave, and Univeersity Drive cannot handle the volume.

I don't think that's a viable sight, even though I'd support that plan in theory.

Either the GSL/Bus Depot or McMahon would require massive infrastructure upgrades by the city to the road network to support the increased traffic. The diference, is the City has explicitly said they hve no plans to improve that section of Crowchild, while they have planned upgrades to the "West Village" area f Downtown for about 4-5 years now.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/flames-to-propose-new-arena-football-stadium-and-sports-complex-says-report-1.3019167

There are reports this morning that the Calgary Flames is interested in building a new sports facility in the West Village.

So reportedly, the Flames have made closed door proposals to levels of government in regards to a new facility in the West Village (a.k.a. Greyhound/GSL area).  I'm so excited about this. 

• 2 months later...

There are plans for that bus barn to be moved. They're expanding the others across the city, and building a new one (though I forget where). If they could wing a deal for that, and the vacant lot there might well be enough space, but barely.

However, there are two problems:

1) its not close to significant transit until the SE LRT gets built though, and that's estimated 20 years away. And the bus-only right of way will only be built in 5-10. I think that limits the abiity to utilize that land.

2) The block of houses on the east side is already spoken for for the two tower Orchard condo development. So expanding across 11th Ave won't happen.

They could fit a hockey stadium, and parking there, but I can't see them doing the entire project for hockey, football and conference facility that many expect in that area. There simply isn't space.

If they could buy up the GSL lot and the old Bus depot, then they hae space for a mega project ike that, and I think that's probably the place we'll see.

There are two big problems with the McMahon area. 1) The land is actuay owned by the University of Calgary, buying that out would not be an easy process in any way.  2) Though there is good transit access (routes 41, 47, 20, the LRT, and the future 16th avenue LRT) the area is a horendous bottleneck for vehicular traffic. - Crowchild slows to a crawl at the best of times in the area, 16th is a morass bounded by the lights at banff trail and 29th ave, and Univeersity Drive cannot handle the volume.

I don't think that's a viable sight, even though I'd support that plan in theory.

Either the GSL/Bus Depot or McMahon would require massive infrastructure upgrades by the city to the road network to support the increased traffic. The diference, is the City has explicitly said they hve no plans to improve that section of Crowchild, while they have planned upgrades to the "West Village" area f Downtown for about 4-5 years now.

Long time, no news. Anyone got a further update? It seems like this is stretching out forever....

Ken King and Flames ownership are notoriously tight-lipped.  KK's never been very open about the new arena, even when cornered by the press.

My feeling is that they're still negotiation on funding with the city and province (trying to create a financing deal similar to what Edmonton got), and giving the current economy, discussions probably aren't going well (if they're even talking still at all).  Until they get to within inches of signing a deal, it's unlikely we'll hear anything official at all.

Ken King and Flames ownership are notoriously tight-lipped.  KK's never been very open about the new arena, even when cornered by the press.

My feeling is that they're still negotiation on funding with the city and province (trying to create a financing deal similar to what Edmonton got), and giving the current economy, discussions probably aren't going well (if they're even talking still at all).  Until they get to within inches of signing a deal, it's unlikely we'll hear anything official at all.

Given the state of the local economy, i would say negotiations are off the table for the next two years at least.

I did however notice that GSL has overtaken the parking space just south of Bow Trail, like between the railroad tracks and Bow Trail.  Would they be preparing to relocate? I didn't even realize that was usable land until i saw them park new vehicles in there.

Last i Read was in the Metro was that the flames are considering the Old Gsl spot But there is alot of creosote in the soil etc and Alderman for that area wants to make sure that Before a Deal is made that they can see if that can be cleaned up

Also Mayor Nenshi Had stated that if this Deal was to Happen it would Have to be voted on By calgarians  i will look for a link to this right up

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/1384471/nenshi-pledges-to-engage-the-public-before-any-new-arena-deal-with-calgary-flames/

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So 1 of the riches management groups in Canada that seems to own every sports meca in Calgary wants the City to produce 200 million out of tax payers pockets Really. I'm sorry but come on the city already helped upgrade the dome not to long ago when dutter was god  then through in more money to repair after flood now a few yrs later they want to build something bigger at our expense OUCH

So 1 of the riches management groups in Canada that seems to own every sports meca in Calgary wants the City to produce 200 million out of tax payers pockets Really. I'm sorry but come on the city already helped upgrade the dome not to long ago when dutter was god  then through in more money to repair after flood now a few yrs later they want to build something bigger at our expense OUCH

Actually 200 million dollars really wouldnt be that much from the average taxpayer, population is 1.097 million people. If 650k are working adults thats 307$ in taxes for the year or 25 bucks a month if my math is right. I mean that might be alot of money to some people but considering this figures to be a pretty expensive project, and they are redoing most of the west end I wouldnt be too upset.

What is your source for info on government contributions for flood? I am curious how much money the government threw in for floods? I was under the impression insurance paid for most of flood damage.

If they think they can build  an arena there for anything close to $200m, they obviously haven't properly considered the environmental assessment.  Sorry, just saying.

Don't get me wrong, I think it will happen.  But this will be a long, painful, expensive process.  

Starting with an environmental cleanup roughly the cost of that $200m.

Followed by adding about 5 interchanges on Crowchild.

All things that need to happen Anyway.

But...yeah.