The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I've always been a skeptic on providing significant direct funding for an arena, and I get the city needs to cut somewhere.  But does anyone really think the flames weren't smart enough to work in significant financial penalties should the city back out?  I could easily see the city coughing up 100 million to get out of the deal with nothing to show for it, which ought to be followed by the resignation of every councilor who voted for the deal and then voted to terminate it.

We've agreed to this, and for better or worse, we're stuck with it.

1 minute ago, ABC923 said:

I've always been a skeptic on providing significant direct funding for an arena, and I get the city needs to cut somewhere.  But does anyone really think the flames weren't smart enough to work in significant financial penalties should the city back out?  I could easily see the city coughing up 100 million to get out of the deal with nothing to show for it, which ought to be followed by the resignation of every councilor who voted for the deal and then voted to terminate it.

We've agreed to this, and for better or worse, we're stuck with it.

Just read that no deal is actually finalized yet, so maybe there would be no significant penalties.  Either way though, agreements should be honored, even if the province won't honor theirs.  Besides, wasn't the city's share supposed to be paid for through additional tax shares and the like? It's not like you can just transfer the allotted budget from one project to another.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

As soon as Kenney announced budget cuts last month, I immediately thought about the new arena.  Not surprised a councillor is suggesting we use the money elsewhere now.

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

As soon as Kenney announced budget cuts last month, I immediately thought about the new arena.  Not surprised a councillor is suggesting we use the money elsewhere now.

Just to add a bit...

The two council people were against it orinigally.

For this to pass, it requires a "super" majority of 10 votes for.

This is obviously a move to distance themselves from unpopular spending.

After all, the next election in 2020.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

And with that the city councillors have their scapegoats to re-election.  Can't wait for all these incompetent councillors to spend the next 2 years blaming the province for not covering all their mishaps.  I do want the arena and the green line, but the only thing I would use the green line for is to go to the arena, so It'd be moot as there would be no games to go to if the city backed out now.  The GL has just been a complete disaster from the start and the city can only blame themselves for that.

16 hours ago, sak22 said:

And with that the city councillors have their scapegoats to re-election.  Can't wait for all these incompetent councillors to spend the next 2 years blaming the province for not covering all their mishaps.  I do want the arena and the green line, but the only thing I would use the green line for is to go to the arena, so It'd be moot as there would be no games to go to if the city backed out now.  The GL has just been a complete disaster from the start and the city can only blame themselves for that.

Incompetent councillors? Have you looked to Edmonton lately?  

Given the Kenney cuts, this deal has to be cancelled. This is an era of austerity.

While there is no deal it does sounds like there are letters of understanding so there could be a legal element to this. Will be interested to see/hear more from. 

but I mean in the era of cuts I think it's perfectly reasonable to question cutting such a large cheque for a mostly private endeavor. I don't like the rationale of simply putting it towards the Green Line because I think that project has been very mismanaged, but the idea behind what they are doing is fair. 

8 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Incompetent councillors? Have you looked to Edmonton lately?  

Given the Kenney cuts, this deal has to be cancelled. This is an era of austerity.

Don't care about Edmonton, have been disappointed with certain people who continue to get elected term after term in Calgary many dating back to Bronconnier.  Using Edmonton is like using Trump to talk up Trudeau.  

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Don't care about Edmonton, have been disappointed with certain people who continue to get elected term after term in Calgary many dating back to Bronconnier.  Using Edmonton is like using Trump to talk up Trudeau.  

Sorry, I meant the Legislature.

• 5 months later...

In case anyone is curious, the arena has come up a few times in some Conference calls I've been on recently. 

- They've picked an architect and also recently selected their construction manager. Neither has been confirmed publicly but they have been selected. 

- Expect that the architectural and building plans will be done by Stampede of 2021. Plan to build shortly after that.

- Goal still is to be playing in the new arena by the 2024/25 season. 

- Will visit the newer buildings (Vegas, Detroit, Edmonton) to see what went well/what didn't. They also want to visit Columbus and Minnesota (the NBA arena not the NHL one) and keep pointing to those as building where they did it right. 

• Like 2

A few notes from today's session:

• Construction company has now been selected, will reveal after informing the City who they've chosen.  Construction and architecture firms are well known
  • Capacity will be 18-18.5K with a larger lower bowl.
  • Looked into the inverted bowl concept, but don't want to go full inverted as nobody else has done it.  May go with a hybrid with both slope and inverted.

Also the first look at the design for the BMO Centre expansion was revealed today.  I would almost expect something similar in design or closer to the original design from the proposals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Why only 18.5k arena? Why not go cool 20k? 1500 extra people not able to buy tickets? Or is it a response to the down economy?

id go 20+k. They could probably fill the seats.

Bell Centre in Montreal is the only 20+ arena. 18.5 is around league average and seeing how economies can change almost overnight better off with ticket demand than empty seats.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Why only 18.5k arena? Why not go cool 20k? 1500 extra people not able to buy tickets? Or is it a response to the down economy?

id go 20+k. They could probably fill the seats.

Because probably there's an extra row of box seats.  I'm guessing lower bowl, then 2 rows/decks of box.  Then upper bowl followed by potentially an upper row of box seats/press box/media/restaurant area.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Because probably there's an extra row of box seats.  I'm guessing lower bowl, then 2 rows/decks of box.  Then upper bowl followed by potentially an upper row of box seats/press box/media/restaurant area.

This. it will have a larger lower bowl and more prime area boxes/suites. That's one of the biggest problems with the dome today.

The quantity of seats is not as important as the quality of the seats or the $/seat unfortunately. That's the way arena construction has gone in the last decade or so. Experience and $ > quantity of fans. 

• 2 weeks later...

Calgary Municipal Land Corporation announced both the architectural firms and the construction companies today. HOK also designed Little Ceasars arena and Rogers Place, among many others, in Edmonton and Dialog worked with the Calgary Public Library. Dialog is Calgary based. 

Plan is still for this to be completed in summer of 2024. 

https://flamesnation.ca/2020/06/24/new-arena-will-be-designed-by-hok-and-dialog-opens-in-2024/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Calgary Municipal Land Corporation announced both the architectural firms and the construction companies today. HOK also designed Little Ceasars arena and Rogers Place, among many others, in Edmonton and Dialog worked with the Calgary Public Library. Dialog is Calgary based. 

Plan is still for this to be completed in summer of 2024. 

https://flamesnation.ca/2020/06/24/new-arena-will-be-designed-by-hok-and-dialog-opens-in-2024/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm glad that the guys who did the Detroit arena are the ones.  I'm not as impressed with Rogers Place's design, but I think that was dictated by the owner to look a certain way.  From what I understand Rogers Place has some issues with the design that make it less desirable as well.  But that's 2nd hand info, so I can't be certain.

On 6/11/2020 at 9:42 AM, cross16 said:

This. it will have a larger lower bowl and more prime area boxes/suites. That's one of the biggest problems with the dome today.

The quantity of seats is not as important as the quality of the seats or the $/seat unfortunately. That's the way arena construction has gone in the last decade or so. Experience and $ > quantity of fans. 

I just don't see why they can't have both, does seem short-sited.   Cutting costs in strange places.   I do understand why the box seats are important but it's almost like they're designing it with the intention of having a mediocre team with semi-interested fans.

A bigger question would be if the arena is capable of Olympic sized ice, or at least larger ice than what the NHL has now.

I just can't imagine building an arena today without considering that the NHL may change its rink size in the next few decades.    But maybe that's all worked out, I'm not up to speed on it.

So is this thing actually going ahead for realz for realz?  Or is there another exit point?

Still like the dome 🙂