The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-olympics-alberta-government-funding-1.4860705

Max $700-mil coming from Province for Olympic bid.  We still short $2.3-billion... 

My guess is that we are short at least double that figure. At least I now have a reason to vote in the non-binding plebiscite. Until this announcement, I saw no reason to get off of my butt and vote given councillors are able to do whatever they want to. I don't see the point in asking people how they feel about the matter when they retain the right to ignore it.

No comment from the Feds yet but I read that the max they will offer is 1.5 billion. Apparently they have a rule that says they won't fund more than 50%. Leaves the city on the hook for 800 million and the cost overruns, which is probably the bigger issue imo. 

Not good news for the pro Olympic movement. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

No comment from the Feds yet but I read that the max they will offer is 1.5 billion. Apparently they have a rule that says they won't fund more than 50%. Leaves the city on the hook for 800 million and the cost overruns, which is probably the bigger issue imo. 

Not good news for the pro Olympic movement. 

If you assume for a moment that $800m is the net amount the city would pay (vastly underestimated IMHO), I wonder what the increased business, employment and "revenue" from the Olympics would be.  I don't recall any Olympics ever being successful, except maybe for the Quebec "businessmen".

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎05 at 2:50 PM, The_People1 said:

I have always favored the Victoria Park location and concept for a new arena without any Olympic consideration. If they want to take on the Olympics in conjunction with this then the concentration should surround other possible take aways for remaining useable assets. Calgary is a huge training centre for amateur winter sports now and could be even more so in the future. I would suggest this new arena location and on the West end location have a new structure for the Opening Ceremonies that could be converted after into a football/soccer/concert facility with a village concept as well. Make the entire effort worthwhile.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

If you assume for a moment that $800m is the net amount the city would pay (vastly underestimated IMHO), I wonder what the increased business, employment and "revenue" from the Olympics would be.  I don't recall any Olympics ever being successful, except maybe for the Quebec "businessmen".

Yes the 800 million is only based on the initial cost proposal but like I mentioned the province specifically said they are not going to be on the hook for cost overruns. So yes there is no way that 800 million would be all the city would pay. 

I think the idea that the Olympics are guarantees losers or guaranteed failures is misplaced. When you tend to give them to 3rd world coutniers and countries rip with corruption yes they tend to be "losers". I would say that games in Calgary, Atlanta, salt lake, London and Vancouver were all pretty successful depending on how you define success. 

It can can be done but it requires the right people in charge. Not sure we have that personally. 

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I have always favored the Victoria Park location and concept for a new arena without any Olympic consideration. If they want to take on the Olympics in conjunction with this then the concentration should surround other possible take aways for remaining useable assets. Calgary is a huge training centre for amateur winter sports now and could be even more so in the future. I would suggest this new arena location and on the West end location have a new structure for the Opening Ceremonies that could be converted after into a football/soccer/concert facility with a village concept as well. Make the entire effort worthwhile.

That’s the thing though, if Calgary wants to be the hub for Olympic sport training, how many of those facilities need updating, or new ones? Are they in good shape? 

Winning an Olympic bid can help maintain what is already there, can it not?

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

That’s the thing though, if Calgary wants to be the hub for Olympic sport training, how many of those facilities need updating, or new ones? Are they in good shape? 

Winning an Olympic bid can help maintain what is already there, can it not?

I don't know the answers but the facilities likely could use upgrading and some new facilities. I do know a lot of other countries come here to use the facilities we have now.

To answer your question honestly there is likely good and bad that comes with holding an Olympics but Calgary could use the activity economically.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

if Calgary wants to be the hub for Olympic sport training, how many of those facilities need updating, or new ones? Are they in good shape? 

The K95 ski jump (the biggest one) at Canada Olympic Park was not maintained and fell into disrepair, it's a party shack now...   The 5 other jumps are still used...   So are the bobsled and luge tracks...

Nenshi need to forget about Whistler and stay more local...   He needs to get off his Hash Rate and see that the K95 at COP is repaired or replaced like he should have done already...   Host some of the events at COP and use Canmore for the (all still used) biathlon, cross country and nordic combined just like they did last time...   Host the other events at Nakiska like they did in 88, or one of the other Banff area ski hills...   Even thinking about giving the gift of premier events like the mens downhill to a neighboring province that just screwed us over for a pipeline should be enough to have have Nenshi shipped off to a loony bin...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Carty said:

The K95 ski jump (the biggest one) at Canada Olympic Park was not maintained and fell into disrepair, it's a party shack now...   The 5 other jumps are still used...   So are the bobsled and luge tracks...

Nenshi need to forget about Whistler and stay more local...   He needs to get off his Hash Rate and see that the K95 at COP is repaired or replaced like he should have done already...   Host some of the events at COP and use Canmore for the (all still used) biathlon, cross country and nordic combined just like they did last time...   Host the other events at Nakiska like they did in 88, or one of the other Banff area ski hills...

Whistler?  What a loser the mayor is, if he's thinking along those lines.

Crap or get off the pot.

Maybe he's on pot.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Whistler?  What a loser the mayor is, if he's thinking along those lines.

Crap or get off the pot.

Maybe he's on pot.

Maybe he just needs to smoke some more...   At least that way Nenshi would have to pull his head out of his Hash Rate...

The only events being proposed to be held at whistler are ski jumping and by doing so the bid saves over 50 million. 

Everything else would be held either in Calgary, Canmore or Banff. Most of the facilities left over from 88 are actually in very good shape, oval, track Canmore etc. In fact the province is currently spending 7 million to upgrade the bobsleigh track and did so before the Olympics were a possibility. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The only events being proposed to be held at whistler are ski jumping and by doing so the bid saves over 50 million. 

Everything else would be held either in Calgary, Canmore or Banff. Most of the facilities left over from 88 are actually in very good shape, oval, track Canmore etc. In fact the province is currently spending 7 million to upgrade the bobsleigh track and did so before the Olympics were a possibility. 

I would expect that the benefits to keeping the ski jump a=in CGY area outweigh the cost.  $50m is a drop in the bucket to the overall cost, and provides another draw to the area once the games are done.  Very few places in Canada where you can practice.  

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would expect that the benefits to keeping the ski jump a=in CGY area outweigh the cost.  $50m is a drop in the bucket to the overall cost, and provides another draw to the area once the games are done.  Very few places in Canada where you can practice.  

Ski jumping is probably the least popular of all the events. I still watch it on TV and when I do the stands are basically always empty. I would argue the opposite I think the cost would outweigh the benefit and I think hosting them in whistler is a wise idea. 

Almost all venues since 88 have been maintained and kept updated except the ski jump. There is a reason for that, the demand was never there so why go down that path again? Learn from your past. 

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Agreed...

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

so why go down that path again?

Because if you want to host the games, you should host all of the events...    Besides, it's worth the $50 mil just to give the finger to BC...   They are already costing us an an awful lot more than that...

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Learn from your past. 

Agreed...   This time they should do a better job of maintaining the K95 in the first place...

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Why waste money though? The demand didn't justify the maintenance so why just burn up money for no benefit?

So, you expect that no money would go to BC to host the event?

Maybe they don't get $50m, but they don't do it for nothing.

CGY pays BC to help host.

Or more likely, Ottawa kicks in part of the money to BC.

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Why waste money though? The demand didn't justify the maintenance so why just burn up money for no benefit?

I believe that the oval fell into a bad state. Nobody really knew who was responsible for maintenance. Should the university pay given it is on their property? Should the city pay since they hosted the Olympics? I am not quite sure who ended up paying for it. If memory serves, it was expensive. I also understand that they messed up with the design because the windows on the west side allowed too much light in, and it melted the ice.

On 10/12/2018 at 4:54 PM, The_People1 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-olympics-alberta-government-funding-1.4860705

Max $700-mil coming from Province for Olympic bid.  We still short $2.3-billion... 

I had such a great time at the last Olympics I was really looking forward to another.. until.. I saw the starting price tag of 5.3 BILLION dollars!! The last Olympics cost only 800 million and that included all the new structures which are already in place and usable according to the IOC.. This Price includes all of mayor Numbnuts fantasy wishes of turning Calgary into little Dubai and I want nothing to do with the bid any more.. The Thousands of volunteers that we had last time simply aren't here anymore as most of the corporate companies that invested money and people simply aren't here anymore

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

I had such a great time at the last Olympics I was really looking forward to another.. until.. I saw the starting price tag of 5.3 BILLION dollars!! The last Olympics cost only 800 million and that included all the new structures which are already in place and usable according to the IOC.. This Price includes all of mayor Numbnuts fantasy wishes of turning Calgary into little Dubai and I want nothing to do with the bid any more.. The Thousands of volunteers that we had last time simply aren't here anymore as most of the corporate companies that invested money and people simply aren't here anymore

Ya man it's going to come to maybe $5000 to $8000 per Calgarian tax payer.  Just for a 2 week party.