Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

That line looked awesome against the Blues and the chemistry is building. Bennett will get more goals like the one he scored than the pretty ones. Jankowski and Jagr are both smart  heads up players, great match with Bennett's aggressiveness.

That line was fun to watch.  Jankowski looked like he was going to score every shift.  Kids got talent. 

Bennett works well on that line as he can bring the speed and grit.  Jagr also so strong on the boards and has patience.

Hope they can build off a great game and keep it going. They are the bottom 6 scoring we've been missing.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That line was fun to watch.  Jankowski looked like he was going to score every shift.  Kids got talent. 

Bennett works well on that line as he can bring the speed and grit.  Jagr also so strong on the boards and has patience.

Hope they can build off a great game and keep it going. They are the bottom 6 scoring we've been missing.

Agreed

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yes, they seemed to dominate the game.  Kept thinking to myslef that if the top line scores a goal, we will win easily.  Closer than I hoped, but Lack was not the reason we leaked 2 goals in the 3rd.

Imagine what Jagr will look like when he is back to mid-season form.  He had a few turnovers because he ran out of gas.  When he had the puck at the start of a shift, he was just about unstoppable.  

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's fairly accurate. 

I lived in Toronto (until just a couple of weeks ago) for seven years. I've seen some terrible things when it comes to their players. They're *really* hard on goalies. 

Remember that fabulous season where they went to the playoffs, only to blow it in the third period of Game 7? That was the year the Bruins won the cup. Anyway, the following season, James Reimer was injured in a game against Montreal, and he was concussed. He missed quite a bit of time, and that was bad because a) his stellar play had a lot to do with them making the playoffs in the first place, and b ) he was off to a pretty good start. Anyway, in his first game back after missing quite a bit of time, he got the call to play against that same Bruins team in Boston. The Leafs were awful, and they got blown out 9-1. The next morning, I was pretty dismayed to see the cover of the Toronto Sun which featured a picture of 22 year old James Reimer in his first game back against the reigning Stanley Cup Champions on the road behind the worst team in the league, and a headline that read, "What a JOKE". 

Pretty crappy market for the kids. It's nice to see that they've got a few good ones right now... I still hope they choke. 

Love. 

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Alright, we are 1/4 of the way through the season and Bennett sits at 3 points in 20 games. 

What does a successful season look like for Bennett considering the slow start? For me its 15-20 goals, which is still attainable and 30-40 points.

I think that's wishful thinking at this point.  I predict he finishes the year with 8 goals and 25 points.

If he turns it around, I would be happy at this point with 12 goals and 30 points, so I guess we are more or less in agreement on what success looks like.

19 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Alright, we are 1/4 of the way through the season and Bennett sits at 3 points in 20 games. 

What does a successful season look like for Bennett considering the slow start? For me its 15-20 goals, which is still attainable and 30-40 points.

He looked pretty terrible to start the season. He has looked pretty since being moved to wing.  I am just looking for progress.  

At this point it's pretty clear the flames don't have a plan for Bennett and either don't see him as an offensive weapon or think they overshot his potential. 

Hate to say it but they need to trade him. Deal isn't going to he any good but it's only going to get worse. Might as well salvage something if you can. 

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

At this point it's pretty clear the flames don't have a plan for Bennett and either don't see him as an offensive weapon or think they overshot his potential. 

Hate to say it but they need to trade him. Deal isn't going to he any good but it's only going to get worse. Might as well salvage something if you can. 

I agree, if you are gonna play him with Freddie and Brouw might as well get rid of him.

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

May be the reason for the recent scouting trips.  I would rather they scratch him for a game than pull this crap with Versteeg taking his spot.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

May be the reason for the recent scouting trips.  I would rather they scratch him for a game than pull this crap with Versteeg taking his spot.

Have to agree with Cross. He and i may view the reasoning but Bennetts done. Its been 2 seasons under Gully and he has regressed each of them. If he is best suited on the 4 th line here do the kid a favour and trade him where he can play. Bet he would thrive in ANA or Van. Either way such a waste, he will be something good just not under Gully, hate to say 

3 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Have to agree with Cross. He and i may view the reasoning but Bennetts done. Its been 2 seasons under Gully and he has regressed each of them. If he is best suited on the 4 th line here do the kid a favour and trade him where he can play. Bet he would thrive in ANA or Van. Either way such a waste, he will be something good just not under Gully, hate to say 

Haven't seen a game in sometime, stuck in South America working.  Anyway, saw the game tonight (NHL.com), kinda boring and the loss didn't make it any better.  

If the team decides to trade Sam Bennett, my hopes are they don't send him somewhere in the Western conference or, the Pacific division and, last but most important not, to the Canucks.  Hearing about Sven Baertschi and, to a lesser extent (at least this season) Markus Granlund filling the net as secondary scoring is not something we want to continue.  

His trade value is so low, why doesn't he sit in the press box and the team waits for another team (in the Eastern conference) to approach the Flames regarding a trade.  

Mis pesos dos,

Broccolito

I agree in the sense that I don't want to see Bennett on the 4th line and have Versteeg in the lineup let alone on the 3rd line. 

Where I disagree, is that this season's struggles have much to do with GG. Bennett is starting to remind me of Lazar, lots of compete and hustle just not a lot of skill or finish to his game this year. It looked like he may have turned a corner when moved to the wing, but I think it was more Jankowski and Jagr controlling play and Bennett just benefitting from their play than him contributing much to that line.

I think we all just misjudged him when he was drafted.

I also agree that we should trade before his stock falls any further, I am just not worried about him rebounding because I think what you see is what he is as an NHL player.

13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I agree in the sense that I don't want to see Bennett on the 4th line and have Versteeg in the lineup let alone on the 3rd line. 

Where I disagree, is that this season's struggles have much to do with GG. Bennett is starting to remind me of Lazar, lots of compete and hustle just not a lot of skill or finish to his game this year. It looked like he may have turned a corner when moved to the wing, but I think it was more Jankowski and Jagr controlling play and Bennett just benefitting from their play than him contributing much to that line.

I think we all just misjudged him when he was drafted.

I also agree that we should trade before his stock falls any further, I am just not worried about him rebounding because I think what you see is what he is as an NHL player.

The reason I disagree is go back and look at his rookie season. He was faster, dynamic and produced. He didn't think so much he just played. 

Then the flames started moving him around positions, expecting him to carry bad linemates, gave no help,very little PP time to help his confidence and a short leash to make any mistakes. Ferland was awful to start the year on the top line but Gulutzan let him play it out. Where has that chance been for Bennett? Versteeg is pure garbage most nights but he gets PP ice time over Bennett? 

Probaably fair that everyone over shot his potential, but I just can't see how you cant blame the flames for a good chunk of this here. They did a terrible job trying to develop him. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The reason I disagree is go back and look at his rookie season. He was faster, dynamic and produced. He didn't think so much he just played. 

Then the flames started moving him around positions, expecting him to carry bad linemates, gave no help,very little PP time to help his confidence and a short leash to make any mistakes. Ferland was awful to start the year on the top line but Gulutzan let him play it out. Where has that chance been for Bennett? Versteeg is pure garbage most nights but he gets PP ice time over Bennett? 

Probaably fair that everyone over shot his potential, but I just can't see how you cant blame the flames for a good chunk of this here. They did a terrible job trying to develop him. 

Agreed.  

Trading Sam will, in all likelihood backfire.  Another team will place him in a position to succeed and he'll have a reason to perform if, for the sole reason he'd want to show the Flames they made a mistake.  Perhaps the blame rests upon the coach, perhaps it's just the player but he's still a developing and maybe he's yet to reach his potential.

1 minute ago, broccoli said:

Agreed.  

Trading Sam will, in all likelihood backfire.  Another team will place him in a position to succeed and he'll have a reason to perform if, for the sole reason he'd want to show the Flames they made a mistake.  Perhaps the blame rests upon the coach, perhaps it's just the player but he's still a developing and maybe he's yet to reach his potential.

Or...he is a modern version of Fata/Tkaczuk.  

I am starting to lean towards trading Bennett. BUT before that GG needs to play him with Gaudreau and Monahan. Maybe he is not a centre but can he be a top line winger? We don't know, but what we do know is he is much better when he plays with Gaudreau. We need to build his confidence and also potential trade value.

I know Ferland is doing well on the top line, but IMO at some point you need to try Bennett on the top line.

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I am starting to lean towards trading Bennett. BUT before that GG needs to play him with Gaudreau and Monahan. Maybe he is not a centre but can he be a top line winger? We don't know, but what we do know is he is much better when he plays with Gaudreau. We need to build his confidence and also potential trade value.

I know Ferland is doing well on the top line, but IMO at some point you need to try Bennett on the top line.

I kind of agree with you.  

Bennett has no trade value, so putting him on showcase might help to bring a better return in a trade.  However, the standings are very tight and I’m not sure the Flames can risk cooling off the first line if Bennett doesn’t gel with Gaudreau/Monahan. 

Tough decision. 

23 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I kind of agree with you.  

Bennett has no trade value, so putting him on showcase might help to bring a better return in a trade.  However, the standings are very tight and I’m not sure the Flames can risk cooling off the first line if Bennett doesn’t gel with Gaudreau/Monahan. 

Tough decision. 

Agreed, likely not to happen until Ferland cools down.

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

I am going to take another angle and place some blame squarely on GG for not moving Tkachuk off the 3M line and putting him with Bennett. GG has not given Bennett a fighting chance to succeed since he arrived.

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not really, it isn't necessary to disrupt lines that are playing well in order to get one player going or showcased. You should make moves that enhance a line to make it better.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Not really, it isn't necessary to disrupt lines that are playing well in order to get one player going or showcased. You should make moves that enhance a line to make it better.

Agreed -- you cant break what works in hopes of fixing something else .

Bennett has only ever had a degree of success playing with Backlund, but to put him back means potentially disrupting not only Tkachuk but that whole line. Ditto for Monahan and Johnny 

We have to ask ourselves , do we want a player that can only be effective when he has better players around him ?  Or a player that can get it done regardless 

Look up North at leon Draisaitl..  hes only at his best playing with McDavid.. hes barely average running his own line.. and they pay him over $8M year . Granted he can be a beast in the playoffs, but Sam was also one of our best playoff performers too 

If the Flames made any mistake at all with Bennett , its not putting him in the A, but that ship has sailed.

I still believe and have hopes he will snap out and snap out for good.. but we cant deny we are at the point where a decision has to be made . We either continue to be patient and allow him time to come around, with the very real possibility he may end up being a Stajan 2.0.. a guy who plays anywhere in the lineup responsibility but not going to be the scoring player we envisioned... or he could be Seguin.. a late bloomer 

IF he gets traded , we may be looking at another teams problem(Marner, Reinhart, Ho Sang etc) .. that can be fixed by 2 changes of scenery.. everybody knows his potential , BT wont sell low , he will keep him and stay the course first 

Archived