Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My boss who was a former WHL/NHL scout, was at the game. I spoke with him about several players here was his view:

JH: Magical with the puck but what impressed him the most is what you can't see on TV. His hockey IQ is unbelievable in his words how he reads plays and rreacts.

Ferland: the kids a BEAST, strong fast and has great hockey IQ. You can see his offensive upside but it hasn't broke through. He is going to be a great player for the Flames.

Bennett: Has tons of talent but still very young and very inexperienced. All he said was the kid isn't afraid of much.

Raymond: By far the worst one on the ice, does not get why Hartley had him out there, other than speed.

I think Granlund on the 4th line is a waste, use Shore.

I agree, and I am a big fan of Granlund, but he needs to add some strength. In the couple of games he played in the Vancouver series he looked over matched physically at times, and it's not going to get easier versus Anaheim.

I don't think they will introduce Arnold at this stage.

We said the same thing about Bennett playing in the playoffs.  He was brought in to replace Raymond initially. 

It is unlikely they play Arnold, but the reason he didn't get called up had more to do with the timing of his injury.  He is older than Shore and Granlund.  Maybe I give the guy more credit than he is due, but faceoff are one of the keys to this series.  The line of Bollig/Jooris/Raymond was a non-factor in most games.  Swap in Arnold and you have a grittier line that can shut down another team, perhaps.  Two options at center.  No more risky than Raymond playing 7 minutes.

Does no 1 think Wolf would be a better substitute to Raymond Just wondering he is a big body and can play in the bigs I think. I guess it is because I am a fan of his style of play given him the rains on the Jooris line could go the same way as did Ferland. With wolfy on that line it would put another 50 or 60 pounds of power forward steel.

Forgot to mention they are both Left wingers so far swap

Does no 1 think Wolf would be a better substitute to Raymond Just wondering he is a big body and can play in the bigs I think. I guess it is because I am a fan of his style of play given him the rains on the Jooris line could go the same way as did Ferland. With wolfy on that line it would put another 50 or 60 pounds of power forward steel.

Forgot to mention they are both Left wingers so far swap

To answer your question, I have to mention that Raymond is a LW, but was lined up on RW with Bollig.

So take that away from the equation for a minute.  Wolf has struggled keeping pace with the NHL speed.  Definitely a step down from Raymond as far as speed goes.  Compare Wolf to Bollig - probably similar speed, but Bollig has more big-game experience.

Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE Wolfie fan.  He actually practiced with the main group and could be on his way to California with the main group.  Hartley may decide to dress 13 forwards (Wolf included) and sit Wotherspoon.  Or he could decide to sit Spoon and play Ramage (also practiced a bit with main group). 

Either way, Raymond may get the hook.  Like I said, there are numerous options for 4th line RW.  Move Jooris to RW and play a center like Shore, Granlund or Arnold.  Keep Jooris at center and play Shore, Arnold or Poirier on RW.  Having a surplus of RHS on the Black Aces gives us options. 

Ok I didn't have the opportunity to watch Wolf play with Bennett against the Jets but I heard he did pretty good being on Van Island the Cal info is very spars. But if Bouma doesn't make it to this round then we will need a power forward to face off against the ducks they are a much bigger team in many ways and Mason maybe fast but I think we need some toughness more than we need the speed on our checking line. The ducks are going to try and push use around and they have the big bodies to do it.   

Ok I didn't have the opportunity to watch Wolf play with Bennett against the Jets but I heard he did pretty good being on Van Island the Cal info is very spars. But if Bouma doesn't make it to this round then we will need a power forward to face off against the ducks they are a much bigger team in many ways and Mason maybe fast but I think we need some toughness more than we need the speed on our checking line. The ducks are going to try and push use around and they have the big bodies to do it.   

I think it would be a fatal mistake to play Ducks hockey against the Ducks.  Instead, we should focus more on speed, where we excel.  The Flames were one of the most lethal teams in the NHL scoring on the rush.  Even in the Canucks series, the Flames had very little offensive zone time but exceled in the transition game and turnover game.  We should let them come and let them come.  As soon as we generate a turnover in our own zone, we have an opportunity to burst up ice for a scoring chance.

Do you hear the Ducks are going to get smaller and faster to match the Flames speed so that they can play Flames hockey better than the Flames?  No.  They are not changing their personnel for anyone.  They would love it if we changed ours to try and beat them at their style of game.

I think it would be a fatal mistake to play Ducks hockey against the Ducks.  Instead, we should focus more on speed, where we excel.  The Flames were one of the most lethal teams in the NHL scoring on the rush.  Even in the Canucks series, the Flames had very little offensive zone time but exceled in the transition game and turnover game.  We should let them come and let them come.  As soon as we generate a turnover in our own zone, we have an opportunity to burst up ice for a scoring chance.

Do you hear the Ducks are going to get smaller and faster to match the Flames speed so that they can play Flames hockey better than the Flames?  No.  They are not changing their personnel for anyone.  They would love it if we changed ours to try and beat them at their style of game.

Although I partially agree with you (don't play Ducks hockey against the Ducks), this is perhaps one of the most dangerous ways to play the game.

If we don't put some big bodies in then they will keep putting our smaller players into the boards and after what happened to JH last game with no sign of T.O doing any thing to stop it from happening again no fines no losts games for Nat. You would think with such a Nasty hit or should I say cross check there should be some kind of games lost Hartley gets a fine for making sure the cunucks don't take liberties on our players but Nucks can cross check a guy that is 150 pounds like that and walk away with nothing even said that I can find. I know this is hockey I'm just wondering what would have happened if ferl did that to 1 of there top forwards?  

I don't think we can outmuscle this Duck's team so I think we should get skating in order to beat them. Play keep away and keep them out of our end.

This is kind of what I've been saying since we knew we were going to face them. I don't think it's fear, I think that when you engage them physically, it just gets them going. Why poke the bear? It's like when Iginla used to get knocked around, he'd play better. 

The Jets tried it and that got the Ducks going. 

I 'm not sure what game I was watching but seemed to me that the ducks were skating faster and passing our players when we were both chasing the puck. They were out playing us in every way seemed to me that they were intimidating us we need some truculence and protect our smaller guys. It has been the rule of hockey for many yrs you need to protect your top scoring players so they don't have to keep looking over there shoulder.

So looks like Bennett is now going to play his ninth game so uses up his first yr does that also mean he loses the opportunity for the culder next yr. I know we have th Mac coming into the mix next yr for Edmonchuck but I still think Bennett could out play and out score  the Mac. Sure im bias who isn't LOL :)  

So looks like Bennett is now going to play his ninth game so uses up his first yr does that also mean he loses the opportunity for the culder next yr. I know we have th Mac coming into the mix next yr for Edmonchuck but I still think Bennett could out play and out score  the Mac. Sure im bias who isn't LOL :)  

Actually tonight is his 10th game (one regular season vs Jets, six vs Canucks, and two vs Ducks so far). This game officially burns his 1st year of his ELC.  

Simple answer is yes, Sam can win the rookie award next season.  Stone had more games played, so did Forsberg, and they were still eligible. 

Doesn't matter where he plays he will kick tires LOL. sorry have no Idea where the adult content starts and ends seems all rules don't pertain to all visitors. I know Whaaaaa moving on If Bennett plays next yr the way he plays now in reg season Im in the belief he will become a force to recon with and will win the Calder that is my perdition. :D

Archived