Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Edmonton game was not a good indication of where this team is at right now. Our team isn't producing enough offense, Edmontons horrible defense allowed guys like Granlund, Jooris to step up. LA, Winnipeg and maybe even Arizona wont be that easy. Monny seems to be grabbing the stick tighter. And we dont want to put too much pressure on the top line. I think we really need Bennett in there. Give him sheltered minutes, but put him in offensive situations, he'll deliver. His skill set is elite. 

Sounds like Bennett is sporting a green "extra" jersey at practice today, along with Bollig and Shore. So as of now it looks like we won't be seeing him in tomorrow's game.

If he doesn't play tomorrow I have a hard time seeing him getting into game this year. The games versus LA and Winnipeg are way too meaningful to just throw a rookie out there to get his debut, even one as good as Bennett.

Difficult time for sure, i think this is a good test of Bennet's character, cuz the chances of him seeing a game are slim. Phoenix was his only shot, being that a home game is the only way to shelter his minutes, and the LA game could very well be the game that decides our playoff fate. Then it arises, who do we take out, and be able to say his spot was "earned"?  we had no choice but to recall him to Calgary , if we sent him to Adirondack , he would only qualify for recall as emergency. Im confident hes a good character kid, last thing i would want to see is another Sven, pouting about not being able to play. but i'm sure he sees the situation and accepts it for what it is. If(When!) we get in the playoffs, thats a minimum 4 more games to give him a shot as well

Difficult time for sure, i think this is a good test of Bennet's character, cuz the chances of him seeing a game are slim. Phoenix was his only shot, being that a home game is the only way to shelter his minutes, and the LA game could very well be the game that decides our playoff fate. Then it arises, who do we take out, and be able to say his spot was "earned"?  we had no choice but to recall him to Calgary , if we sent him to Adirondack , he would only qualify for recall as emergency. Im confident hes a good character kid, last thing i would want to see is another Sven, pouting about not being able to play. but i'm sure he sees the situation and accepts it for what it is. If(When!) we get in the playoffs, thats a minimum 4 more games to give him a shot as well

The only problem with that argument (bolded) is that when we're in the playoffs, we're fighting for the Cup.  If we're not willing to give Sam a chance in our fight for the playoffs, how does he fare any better a chance at cracking the lineup when we're actually in the playoffs?

Sounds like Bennett is sporting a green "extra" jersey at practice today, along with Bollig and Shore. So as of now it looks like we won't be seeing him in tomorrow's game.

If he doesn't play tomorrow I have a hard time seeing him getting into game this year. The games versus LA and Winnipeg are way too meaningful to just throw a rookie out there to get his debut, even one as good as Bennett.

Hartley is not afraid to take a player out if he feels someone else gives him a better shot. Several players are ice cold and not even bringing a solid game lately; Raymond, Jones...I would say Backlund is struggling, but he is playing the toughest minutes, so can't really tell with him. Besides, if you take out Backlund, who takes the tough minutes?

If he doesn't get in against ARI, then he might get in against Winnipeg, which is a team that suits his game. Hartley has to decide who is the best in practice and look at the last game played. In my mind Raymond should be the one to come out.

His Junior team just got swept in the playoffs and he was largely shut down.  Why are we in such a hurry to get him into our playoff race?

The only hurry I am in is to secure a playoff spot. If a guy like Raymond isn't doing anything for us, I would lean towards starting someone else. Whether that is Shore or Bennett, I don't care. I want to win.

Hartley all but confirmed today that Bennett and Wotherspoon will not play barring injury in the next 3 games. Its too bad Diaz got injured or he would have gone down to the AHL and actually played. 

The time they both spend here practicing, learning, watching and working out with coaches, trainers and teammates is invaluable.  You put way too much weight in a few games lost in the AHL.  They are learning to be a pro’s amongst pro’s and they still might get the call.

There is no way Bennett gets in, none, it just makes no sense.

I disagree.  Injury.  A poor outing by Granlund or another rookie.  A flat outing by the Flames in general.  The Flames falling out of the playoff race.  The Flames securing a playoff spot against LA on Thursday.  Etc.  

There are lots of reasons why he could play that make a lot of sense.  And obviously the Flames are entertaining the idea based on the fact he is here and not in Adirondack.  In fact, if not for a great game by Granlund I think you would be seeing Bennett tonight.  

That said, if the Flames stay healthy and haven't secured a playoff spot (or lost one) by Saturday I don't think he plays unless there is an injury in the playoffs.  

I agree, the only way he gets in is if someone gets hurt. I think at this point even if Granland had a bad game I'm not sure they take him out of the lineup. I think his best case is either an injury or if the Winnipeg game doesn't have playoff implications.

So you are saying that if Hartley plays Bennett, he isn't being rational?

There are a handful of ways that Sam plays a regular season game. I shouldn't have to name them....

Quite cynical for someone that was so against the way Sven was developed. So you risk injury playing one of our most valued prospects for 10 to 12 minutes in the last game of the year?  Even if the game is meaning less to us, it means something to the Jets, they will not hold back on anyone, even Bennett. Hoping for injuries and failure just to see a prospect in a game is something that I am not for. Besides if a center gets injured Shore is here to replace him.

If the kid is not highly motivated now for next year than something is wrong with him. Just being involved with team going through this is a invaluable learning experience in its self.

I wouldn't slot him in. Keep the line up as it is. Why fix something when it's not broken?? Granlund proved me wrong the other night against Edmonton, and all of our other centers have been playing great. The flames can't take a change by ruining chemistry by putting Sam in right now. We need to win the next three games in a row, so we can't afford to put a center that has no NHL experience in at this point in the season. Keep him in the press box until Grandlund plays bad

Quite cynical for someone that was so against the way Sven was developed. So you risk injury playing one of our most valued prospects for 10 to 12 minutes in the last game of the year?  Even if the game is meaning less to us, it means something to the Jets, they will not hold back on anyone, even Bennett. Hoping for injuries and failure just to see a prospect in a game is something that I am not for. Besides if a center gets injured Shore is here to replace him.

If the kid is not highly motivated now for next year than something is wrong with him. Just being involved with team going through this is a invaluable learning experience in its self.

Where did I

I'm sorry, but how is this comparable to Sven's development? Oh, you mean bringing him up, not playing him, telling him he needed to play big minutes not on the Flames. I am sure Sven would have delighted in playing 10-12 minutes per game.

Anyway, the point of my post was that absolutes are pretty narrow minded thinking. Kehatch gave you some examples of how Bennett could draw in. I look at these three games as important to the Flames as any game all season. If Bennett gave us the best chance to win, do you think Hartley would pass that up? If a 3rd or 2nd line LW spot was available due to injuries, would it make sense to put a RHS like Shore in? Maybe Hartley does that maybe not. There is nothing absolute.

No no no no, if Bouma is out you have to let the little pitbull off his leash. He has worked hard all year and done everything thats been asked of him by the team. I dont think they should pass him up if there's a legit spot for him to play.

I hear allot of arguments on here about the game being amped up and he could get injured or the the pressure may get to him but I dont buy it. Sam has been groomed his whole life for this, its what these guys live for.

I want to see a story book ending to this season and seeing Bennett play his first game would be icing on the cake...

No no no no, if Bouma is out you have to let the little pitbull off his leash. He has worked hard all year and done everything thats been asked of him by the team. I dont think they should pass him up if there's a legit spot for him to play.

I hear allot of arguments on here about the game being amped up and he could get injured or the the pressure may get to him but I dont buy it. Sam has been groomed his whole life for this, its what these guys live for.

I want to see a story book ending to this season and seeing Bennett play his first game would be icing on the cake...

I agree. Some people around here have to quit mothering our prospects. Leave the coaches to make the decision on how much sheltering this little pitbull needs and let him run. Give him a chance to contribute to the teams success and become one with the pack in a meaningful environment..

Archived