Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A buddy of mine had shoulder surgery about a month and a half ago after wiping out on his mountain bike this past summer and is already back in the gym and able to do almost things he was doing before. Mind you its been baby steps as he's not lifting the same weight he was prior to his surgery but his doc says that he can gradually increase the weight and doesn't see why he wouldn't be back to full work outs within the next 2-3 months. And my buddy doesn't have all the luxuries that would have been afforded to Bennett as far as trainers go and an army of doctors and medical staff.

I am not a professional athlete, but when I blew my ACL/MCL and had it repaired my legs had shrunk a ridiculous amount. Sure I got to exercise my legs eventually, but it was very limited.

Knees are a little different as they are supporting about 95% of your body weight as it is and you have to take it easy. I had a dislocated kneecap when I was 15 yrs old and it took forever until I was able to do much of anything.

I am not a professional athlete, but when I blew my ACL/MCL and had it repaired my legs had shrunk a ridiculous amount. Sure I got to exercise my legs eventually, but it was very limited.

I had the same surgery as Bennett 2 years ago. Actually it was a torn labrum and rotator cuff. No problems with surgery. My arm was in a sling 24/7 for 6 weeks. After that it was physio for about 3-4 months. Your shoulder muscles lose over half of the muscle mass, and it takes quite a bit of work to recover any of it.

The hardest part is raising your arm or push down on your arm from a raised position. That is to get it to or from an overhead position. You are talking about very little resistance for the first 6 weeks and gradually increasing it. Or lifting very little.

I don't know which side it was on, but I think it would limit his wrist or slap shots if on his dominant side.

Yep, I'm with Jtech, physio definitely is all about building muscle in the damaged area.

That being said, I'm with peeps on where he is right now.

Tear it up, sure, whatever.

Be here, healthy, next year.

And hopefully the average fan won't be expecting him to be ungodly awesome.

But yeah, I'll call it now. Exaggerated expectations.

Never fails...

He is in a playoff race no matter where they sent him.....

True....kind of cool.  But IMHO, Kingston was Not in a playoff race...two games ago.  Now, they're a contender.

In the WHL, he is the difference between them being a contender, or missing the playoffs altogether.

I would love to see him take them all the way, with a significant Leadership role.

When we're talking about development, that is one of the most important development pieces for a young player that may some day be this team's captain.  Or at very least, a core leader for the Flames.

Bennett is not ready to have that kind of influence at the AHL or NHL levels.  Right now, he is in training to be a leader and a superstar.   Just one more reason why I think he is exactly where he needs to be right now.  

Kingston is not a contender with him and if they make the playoffs they will most likely be bounced in the first round. 

Well.....they were a contender last year.  And their team hasn't changed that much this year, other than losing Bennett.  If anything, they got a bit better, but lost him.

Now they have a bigger, older, strong version of him, going into the playoffs.

And they won't be a contender?

I guess we'll have to see.

Rough night for Bennett tonight, no points and a -4.

They probably shouldn't have played him in back to back games given his prolonged absence from hockey.  Physically, there's no way he's conditioned yet.  He's probably still recovering from last night.   

He gets a good break until his next game against Missisauga though (March 4).  Looking forward to that.

They probably shouldn't have played him in back to back games given his prolonged absence from hockey.  Physically, there's no way he's conditioned yet.  He's probably still recovering from last night.   

He gets a good break until his next game against Missisauga though (March 4).  Looking forward to that.

I respectfully disagree. Its not like he's been completely out of action since the surgery. Once cleared for light workouts, which would have been a month or two after the procedure, he would have been preparing. Plus he had been skating with the Flames for a fair bit as well. At the end he was participating fully in practices and from what I hear coach Hartley doesn't exactly have "easy days" when practicing. Plus he's been in the higher altitude the whole time and going to Kingston I would imagine he have great cardio and stamina. He needs to play, he needs to get his ice time to get his game up to speed. A lot of it has to do with confidence as well. I would imagine he wants to play every game, he's that type of competitor. You don't hold the horse back if he wants to run the race.

I respectfully disagree. Its not like he's been completely out of action since the surgery. Once cleared for light workouts, which would have been a month or two after the procedure, he would have been preparing. Plus he had been skating with the Flames for a fair bit as well. At the end he was participating fully in practices and from what I hear coach Hartley doesn't exactly have "easy days" when practicing. Plus he's been in the higher altitude the whole time and going to Kingston I would imagine he have great cardio and stamina. He needs to play, he needs to get his ice time to get his game up to speed. A lot of it has to do with confidence as well. I would imagine he wants to play every game, he's that type of competitor. You don't hold the horse back if he wants to run the race.

Most everyone here wants to baby him.

He is still young.

He does not have the size.

He would be playing against men.

He just had surgery.

He still need to recover from the surgery.

He would be targeted.

He is probably not ready for back to back games...

This list goes on and on and on.........

How about lets push him and see if we can find his limits.

If we find some limits, lets work on him getting even better in those areas all the while pushing him harder to achieve more..

Most everyone here wants to baby him.

He is still young.

He does not have the size.

He would be playing against men.

He just had surgery.

He still need to recover from the surgery.

He would be targeted.

He is probably not ready for back to back games...

This list goes on and on and on.........

How about lets push him and see if we can find his limits.

If we find some limits, lets work on him getting even better in those areas all the while pushing him harder to achieve more..

Kevin Lowe would agree with you, and he knows a lot more than everyone else ;)

Agreed.

Finishing the season with Kingston will help his conditioning for an AHL stint.

I'm curious to see where he will be by the 9th game next season.

If he's not one of the top 9 forwards on the Flames by that time, I think he'd have to go back to Kingston again.

No sense having him center the 4th line or sit in the press-box and he would still not be eligible for the AHL.

When Leon Draisaitl was sent back down to Juniors, I think the Oilers requested the Prince Albert Raiders trade him to a contender and they did. Off he went to the Kelonwa Rockets. I'm wondering can the Flames request something similar of Kingston?

Too late the trade deadline for the OHL has already passed

I actually think he's on the perfect team.

The Kingston Frontenacs are probably the most defensively responsible team in the league.  The only team with less goals against is the Oshawa Generals, and that's just due to dominance in puck possession.  They also have the best goaltender, in Lucas Peressini.

If you look just at their offense, things appear dire.   But if you look at their goal differential, they are a competitive team every night.  160 GF, 169 GA.

Assume Bennett does as well as he did last year, and scores at a 40-goal pace.   And don't even consider his assists.

That puts the Frontenacs Sixth best in the league for goal-differential.  That's contender territory.

Factor in his assists, and the fact that Bennett is a year older.   By playoff time, we expect him to be scoring at a significantly higher pace.    Now we're talking top 3 in the league.   Serious competition for the Oshawa Generals and the Erie Otters.  And Bennett will be their "leader".

I think we're incredibly fortunate that he's developing on a rare, defensively responsible team.  I am glad he won't be traded to the Generals or the Otters.   He wouldn't get nearly as much playing time.  He wouldn't be "the man".  He wouldn't be their leader.  He wouldn't be held nearly as accountable.   And while he would have seriously higher point production, it would mean almost nothing.

I actually believe we lucked out drafting Bennett, the same way we lucked out drafting Monahan.  Both were playing on teams which, without them, had very minimal offense.   For one, despite how high they were ranked, they were under-rated.   For two, they learned defensive responsibility right out of junior.   I have no doubts that Bennett was the best player in last year's draft.   But what I think we'll find out soon, is that it was actually by a Long-Shot.

I am excited to see him playing on a team that he knows, has connections to, and cares about.  Also, one that has expectations of him to lead them.    And I think he will.  I am very excited to see this unfold. 

Wtf does Kevin Lowe have to do with our prospects? He has no say in what we do. 

I was talking about the posters here on Flames Boards wanting to baby Sam.......

Wasn't meant to be personal, just thought I'd use some humour to make a point.

I admire your instant negative reaction to the Kevin Lowe reference, as well as your re-affirmation that Kevin has no influence over the Flames organization lol.

Just sayin....Kevin would have left Bennett high out to dry on Oiler's top line had he drafted Bennett over Draisaitl (which he should have).

They probably would have ignored the shoulder surgery for even longer too, A la RNH.

All I'm saying is it Might not be a bad thing that we've handled Bennett in the exact opposite manner that the Oilers handled Draisaitl, RNH, Yakupov, and other failed projects.

I'm not familiar with which posts you were referring to, and I did not mean to imply that you are supportive of how the Oilers develop their prospects.  But in terms of how the Flames organization has handled things, I would say they've done extremely well.   If anything, I just wish his injury had been caught sooner.  Like, at the first chin-up.  And I would expect the Flames would have made a phone call with Kingston on their plans to handle any possibility of a recurrence.

The fact he couldn't do a pull-up possibly helped us draft him, and i'm assuming he couldn't do it because his shoulder has had a injury for who knows how long.

Putting him in Junior was the right call, he gets to warm up with a familiar team, coaches ect. (more time will Doug Gilmour)

If they make the play-offs great, if not he can go to the AHL right after. 

Sam Bennett was rated as the 2nd best prospect in hockey by The Hockey News in their upcoming Future Watch issue. Sam Reinhart was rated number 1 and Leon Draisaitl was rated 3rd. Calgary was rated as having the 8th best prospect pool, much better than being in the bottom only a few years ago.,

Archived