Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

Flames assign Sam Bennett to Kingston Frontenacs - flames.nhl.com

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that they have assigned center Sam Bennett to the Kingston Frontenacs of the Ontario Hockey League.

Bennett, a native Holland Landing, Ontario was the Flames first round pick (4th overall) in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and he has been in Calgary while rehabbing from shoulder surgery. The 18-year-old returns to Kingston where he played the last two seasons, playing 117 games for the Frontenacs and amassing 131 points (54G, 77A) and 205 penalty minutes.

It looks like that is the end of all discussion regarding where Sam will play the remainder of the year.

There is still the possibility of him playing for Adirondack should the Frontenacs get eliminated from post-season play.

The OHL regular season ends March 22, NHL on April 11, and the AHL on April 19.

I imagine a lot of people are ecstatic in Kingston as Bennett could solidify their OHL playoff drive.

The Frontenacs currently sit 7th in the OHL Eastern Conference.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like that is the end of all discussion regarding where Sam will play the remainder of the year.

There is still the possibility of him playing for Adirondack should the Frontenacs get eliminated from post-season play.

The OHL regular season ends March 22, NHL on April 11, and the AHL on April 19.

I imagine a lot of people are ecstatic in Kingston as Bennett could solidify their OHL playoff drive.

The Frontenacs currently sit 7th in the OHL Eastern Conference.

This is the correct move for the development of the player.

Bennett should single handedly make Kingston a threat going into the stretch drive and playoffs. That top line of Crouse/Bennett/Watson should be pretty tough to shut down.

This was absolutely the only move they could've made; if they'd done anything else, I would've had an embolism.

Bennett has effectively lost a year of development.  He's only 18.  He is still rehabbing a shoulder.  I'd far rather have him find his rhythm playing against 190lb players than 200lb players.  He is being parachuted into a playoff race where he can be a difference maker.  He has ~12 games of regular season action in order to get him ready for meaningful hockey.

I have a question.  Will he be old enough to play in the AHL next year?  I suspect he'll still be too young.  I'd like to see him spend some time playing with Poirier.  Two skilled players with mean streaks...  Should be fun. 

Definitely the right call. Putting an 18 year old into the middle of a playoff race cold and straight from surgery would have been a mistake. Let him rehab where he will get minutes and he knows he can play.

Agreed. We will see him soon enough. After a summer of training and conditioning we will have a great 1, 2 punch with Bennett and Mony

This was absolutely the only move they could've made; if they'd done anything else, I would've had an embolism.

Bennett has effectively lost a year of development.  He's only 18.  He is still rehabbing a shoulder.  I'd far rather have him find his rhythm playing against 190lb players than 200lb players.  He is being parachuted into a playoff race where he can be a difference maker.  He has ~12 games of regular season action in order to get him ready for meaningful hockey.

I have a question.  Will he be old enough to play in the AHL next year?  I suspect he'll still be too young.  I'd like to see him spend some time playing with Poirier.  Two skilled players with mean streaks...  Should be fun. 

I actually like the idea of them playing together. Then at least Bennett doesn't have to do the mean streak stuff on his own. Plus Poirier being a bit bigger can stand up for him. 

Bennett would have to do another year in Juniors before being able to play in the AHL. Although, I'd be okay if he did another year, if his development needed it and got him back on track. 

I think the Flames have something going here and adding Bennett to try and figure out which lines he'd be best suited for would interrupt what's happening. It'd be different if he was playing from the start because they'd all grow the team play together, whereas now, he'd be figuring out his game. 

Johnny had the 5 games in and the seat to kind of learn the ropes. 5-6 games is a lot with so little games remaining within a playoff race. Kingston is the best plan for him. 

Fantastic news that Bennett's playing hockey again, and fantastic news that we didn't "Pull and Oilers" and have him in the NHL far too young, after a major surgery.

He's got enough time to save the Frontenecs from playoff elimination.

If he can manage that, he'll be in game shape by the playoffs, perfect timing for him to Rip the OHL apart.

Which I fully expect him to do.

From a bit of a selfish stand, I would have liked to see him do a quick AHL conditioning stint and then see him for a couple games before sending him down.

I don't see how a few games on the Baby Flames would have hurt, if the medical staff and trainers are now giving him the okay to play with contact again.

I actually like the idea of them playing together. Then at least Bennett doesn't have to do the mean streak stuff on his own. Plus Poirier being a bit bigger can stand up for him. 

Bennett would have to do another year in Juniors before being able to play in the AHL. Although, I'd be okay if he did another year, if his development needed it and got him back on track. 

I think the Flames have something going here and adding Bennett to try and figure out which lines he'd be best suited for would interrupt what's happening. It'd be different if he was playing from the start because they'd all grow the team play together, whereas now, he'd be figuring out his game. 

Johnny had the 5 games in and the seat to kind of learn the ropes. 5-6 games is a lot with so little games remaining within a playoff race. Kingston is the best plan for him.

I suspect you will see Poirier here next year, right out of camp. And I suspect we will see Sam in the same spot. Imagine a line in training camp of Johnny/Bennett/Poirier. Even though Johnny/Mony/Hudler plays good together, they aren't 100% matched in skills. Bennett goes through D-men, Poirier is a finisher/sniper, and Johnny is the spoon that stirs the pot.

OK, I can dream, can't I? :)

I see Gaudreau going through Dman too. They both like having the puck on their sticks. Although, that could make it better because then who do they cover? 

A part of me also wonders, because of Poiriers breakaway speed, he would want the puck too, because he's gonna be flying!

Great news on the Bennett front today. Best thing for him is to go to Kingston and find his game again. I'm glad they opted not to send him to Addy. They are fighting for their playoff lives right now and its not a situation where you want an 18 year old, who hasn't played in almost 6+ months, to be trying to get into game shape. Could he have helped the farm? Quite possibly, but he wouldn't have been able to play out the year there anyways. It was either the NHL or the OHL and I believe the right decision was made.

Great news on the Bennett front today. Best thing for him is to go to Kingston and find his game again. I'm glad they opted not to send him to Addy. They are fighting for their playoff lives right now and its not a situation where you want an 18 year old, who hasn't played in almost 6+ months, to be trying to get into game shape. Could he have helped the farm? Quite possibly, but he wouldn't have been able to play out the year there anyways. It was either the NHL or the OHL and I believe the right decision was made.

Thats no different than Kingston right now, who are also fighting to get into the playoffs. Conditioning stint in the AHL would not have harmed him in any way. 

Thats no different than Kingston right now, who are also fighting to get into the playoffs. Conditioning stint in the AHL would not have harmed him in any way. 

This is true, however, its a familiar playing tempo that he is used too. No surprises. The AHL is a different story. I think the risks overruled sending him to Addy. I still believe this was the right choice 100%.

This is true, however, its a familiar playing tempo that he is used too. No surprises. The AHL is a different story. I think the risks overruled sending him to Addy. I still believe this was the right choice 100%.

Bennett doesnt need the same tempo, he needs to develop. You dont develop playing against skill levels below yours. 

Bennett doesnt need the same tempo, he needs to develop. You dont develop playing against skill levels below yours. 

I would argue that you do, although you make an interesting point.

When the guy hasn't skated all season, I would insist that he will definitely develop in the OHL.

Bennett will get to play in Kingston's final 13 regular season games and then get to play in the playoffs. If Kingston gets bumped in the first round Bennett can then play in the final 7 or so regular season games for Adirondack and then play in their playoff games. If he was sent to Adirondack on a conditioning stint and then played his 9 games with the Flames there wouldn't be any OHL games left for to play in so then he would just sit. This way he can finish the year playing pro hockey.

Most of the hockey world seems to disagree with you as this is considered by most to be the obvious decision.

Playing a dozen games in junior to get back up to speed following missing the entire season and having major surgery only makes sense. It certainly won't hurt him. Inserting an 18 year old into these critical games in the NHL and AHL wouldn't make a lick of sense and could harm him and the team.

Patience with prospects is never a bad idea. Rushing them is. I don't think you could find a better definition of Rushing a prospect then putting Bennett in at this point in the season.

Most of the hockey world seems to disagree with you as this is considered by most to be the obvious decision.

Playing a dozen games in junior to get back up to speed following missing the entire season and having major surgery only makes sense. It certainly won't hurt him. Inserting an 18 year old into these critical games in the NHL and AHL wouldn't make a lick of sense and could harm him and the team.

Patience with prospects is never a bad idea. Rushing them is. I don't think you could find a better definition of Rushing a prospect then putting Bennett in at this point in the season.

^  This.

Is not wrong ^^^

Conditioning stint in AHL also does exactly this. It is designed to bring him up to game speed after an injury.

I don't see AHL as being too tough for his talents, just look at Poirier and his games late last year as an example.

Is not wrong ^^^

Conditioning stint in AHL also does exactly this. It is designed to bring him up to game speed after an injury.

I don't see AHL as being too tough for his talents, just look at Poirier and his games late last year as an example.

Very good point Mr. Deeds.  People seem to forget that Emile was in a similar situation to Bennett, in that he had shoulder surgery as well.  He rehabbed and played in the AHL.  Maybe the level of competition in the early stages allowed him to gain confidence and recover more so, but all in all he was playing in the same league Sam could have played in.

I am OK with the decision, as he may still get an AHL ATO (or is it called a PTO?), or just play his way into the roster next season.

Very good point Mr. Deeds.  People seem to forget that Emile was in a similar situation to Bennett, in that he had shoulder surgery as well.  He rehabbed and played in the AHL.  Maybe the level of competition in the early stages allowed him to gain confidence and recover more so, but all in all he was playing in the same league Sam could have played in.

I am OK with the decision, as he may still get an AHL ATO (or is it called a PTO?), or just play his way into the roster next season.

I don't think that sending him to the OHL is a bad decision. I am not arguing that point at all.

A few posters were jumping all over Zirakzigil for suggesting a higher level of competition and a few games for a playoff race in Adirondack was wrong.

I am just saying to those who have claimed that Kingston was the only right decision, that this choice likely would also have been a good one for him.

Archived