The Feaster/weisbrod Era

rickross

Because it was a horrible deal, everybody couldn't believe the money he was demanding and just that Feaster offered him more then the Rangers did make me laugh. Good thing he didn't want to come to Calgary.

Throwing that kinda money at him was a joke and everybody knew it, and yes they are idiots for doing so cause look what he's done. Not at all impressive even if he was getting half what he is. His last three seasons with the Rangers 25g 66pts, 11g 34pts, and this year a whoping 16g 46pts. Not to mention he's getting $6,666,667 until 2020.  Bottom line he was asking way too much and it now shows! Just soooooo glad we didn't acquire him.

One other thing I wanted to mention against Feaster is the way Kipper faded to black. All the mention of trade talks when he wanted to finish his career here after having a child but still had a year on his contract. He obviously wanted to stay and finish here but opted to retire instead, none the less through a Finnish reporter who when asked him if he would accept a trade decided he would retire instead. Pretty elbowingty way to send off the best goalie in your franchise history.

Thing is we know the Rangers were the preferred team for Richards before all the offers were made and we know that the Rangers said up front they were willing to match any offer better than their first one. Maybe Feaster made that big offer knowing it would never be accepted. Driving up the price for another team is not exactly a bad thing.

You make an awful lot of assumptions. Like you already give one strike against BB for not trading Cammy and waiting too long. Exactly what deal did he pass up on to wait on a better offer? I don't remember any actual offers being discussed and passed on.

In one breath you say Feaster did a good job, but the consensus around here is he did not get full value in his trades. Yet you want to condemn BB for waiting and attempting to get the best value..

If you do your study and find that Feaster was not the guy to go forward for the Flames, then you can't keep him until the draft. How can you do interviews with him still around??? Are you proposing that he let things slide for 6 + months to fire Feaster? Hell of a way to run a company.

Weisbrod is a tough one to decide on. We don't really know much about his input. I think he sort of had some of the more final say on the drafts and trades put forth on Feasters plate. We can surmise that most of the draft & deals Feaster made that included college players he likely had some big input on because that was his specialty before he came to us.

I have to agree with you DirtyDeeds.  If you've already concluded that he's not the man for the job, why on earth would you keep him around?? From this fans' perspective, there is no way I wanted Feaster running another draft for our team. Let alone conducting business at the trade deadline! The lack of hockey knowledge really showed with his blunders and the timing for letting him go could not have been better.

I was pleasantly surprised with Burkes' trade deadline deals and I give him credit for not letting Cammy go for a song. We still may loose him for nothing, but at least there is an opportunity there to sit down and try to get something done. Quite frankly, with signings that everyone was waiting for coming at the 11th hour, I have to say that there was probably no time left on the clock to get anything done. But I digress...that's only an assumption :-)      

One can only grade Feaster on "what actually transpired" not on " What could have".

J Bow: I agree we could have gotten more

Iginla: He had a good deal with Boston, Iggy stopped that

He did get Monahan, We have yet to see if Klimchuk, Porier are any good. He did good starting to fill the cupboards in Abbey. Feaster did a good job leaving the club in a better position than when he came.

Burke:

Let see start with Colburne, great trade for Berra and did not let Cammy go for a bag of pucks. Has signed some prospects, I believe he gets John Hockey when the season is done. 

Obviously Burke made 2 statements the day of the trade, he did what was best for the organization and he will not sell low. The market price on players like Cammi were low. I believe by not letting Cammi go for next to nothing, shows the player we value his services more than others were willing to pay and dictates to the rest of the league we maybe low in the standings but we are desperate.

One can only grade Feaster on "what actually transpired" not on " What could have".

He did get Monahan, We have yet to see if Klimchuk, Porier are any good. He did good starting to fill the cupboards in Abbey. Feaster did a good job leaving the club in a better position than when he came.

Burke:

Let see start with Colburne, great trade for Berra and did not let Cammy go for a bag of pucks. Has signed some prospects, I believe he gets John Hockey when the season is done. 

Obviously Burke made 2 statements the day of the trade, he did what was best for the organization and he will not sell low. The market price on players like Cammi were low. I believe by not letting Cammi go for next to nothing, shows the player we value his services more than others were willing to pay and dictates to the rest of the league we maybe low in the standings but we are "not" desperate.

Fixed that last statement for you :)  

Burke:

Obviously Burke made 2 statements the day of the trade, he did what was best for the organization and he will not sell low. The market price on players like Cammi were low. I believe by not letting Cammi go for next to nothing, shows the player we value his services more than others were willing to pay and dictates to the rest of the league we maybe low in the standings but we are desperate.

Feaster's biggest problem was his mouth.  It's one thing to swing for the fences with Janko, but another to say he will be the best player from the 1st round.  He was always trying to defend his actions.  Saying he knew about the ROR situation, but chose to go with his legal opinion of the CBA.  Speaking of ROR, how is it that Greg Sherman still has a job after failing to sign him, thus exposing him to the offer sheet and increased salary?

Glad Feaster is gone because he made Calgary the butt of jokes on TSN and CBC.  Any trades that Burke makes (or sign off on), will be better than all but a Feaster homerun ever was.  Erixon was the closest to one of those I think.  Of the drafts that Feaster was involved in, these are the players I like:

2011 Draft

- Sven (liked him then and now)

- Granlund

- Wotherspoon

- Johnny Hockey

- Brossoit (traded for Smid, really)

2012 Draft

- Janko (just not the players that were passes up for)

- Seiloff

- Gillies

- Kulkin (not 100% sold on him yet)

- Gilmour (good rookie season)

2013 Draft

- Mony

- Poirier

- Klimchuk

- Kanzig (yes, I like the player - massive and not a plug)

- Roy

No, he can't take full credit for these picks, but he is the guy who has (or should have had) final say.

Most players play 2 years of junior after being drafted and the third is the over-age year. There is actually a rule that limits the amount of over-angers a junior team can have thus the term and yes it nears they start the season at 20. Playing 2 years of junior after a draft year is typical of most prospects outside first rounders.thats wht I felt you are being unfair because IMO kulak and culkin have progressed in a nice and linear fashion like you want to see from guys drafted when they were

ok thanks cross.   I am educated on over-aged players now.

I'm not saying they're doing bad, I'm just saying they're not standing out.  And in a draft, you've either got to get your first/2nd pick right (no), or someone else has to stand out (no).

ok thanks cross. I am educated on over-aged players now.

I'm not saying they're doing bad, I'm just saying they're not standing out. And in a draft, you've either got to get your first/2nd pick right (no), or someone else has to stand out (no).

And that's fine criteria but it's not fair yk apply in 2 years. IMO Culkkn and Kulak are tracking fine for where they were picked and both still have outside NHL potential and 2 years later that's what you want. Sure yk may only be in depth roles but kf you get any NHL calibre player out kf the 4yh and 5th round you've already won because the odds are severely against you that you find NHL players in the 4th and 5th rounds.

But I agree with the criteria. You should hit on your 1st and 2nds and then once in a while hit in later rounds but it's a more apportiate call to make in 5 years after a draft not 2.

You make an awful lot of assumptions. Like you already give one strike against BB for not trading Cammy and waiting too long. Exactly what deal did he pass up on to wait on a better offer? I don't remember any actual offers being discussed and passed on.

In one breath you say Feaster did a good job, but the consensus around here is he did not get full value in his trades. Yet you want to condemn BB for waiting and attempting to get the best value..

If you do your study and find that Feaster was not the guy to go forward for the Flames, then you can't keep him until the draft. How can you do interviews with him still around??? Are you proposing that he let things slide for 6 + months to fire Feaster? Hell of a way to run a company.

Weisbrod is a tough one to decide on. We don't really know much about his input. I think he sort of had some of the more final say on the drafts and trades put forth on Feasters plate. We can surmise that most of the draft & deals Feaster made that included college players he likely had some big input on because that was his specialty before he came to us.

I was hoping this would catch the watchful eye of someone, but I did this for a reason, as far too often this has been done with Feaster, though I still stand by Feaster doing a decent job, and that outside of sending a Msg there was no reason for fire him till season's end.

However, where Feaster is mentioned, there have been many assumptions made, not unlike I did here with Burke.  That said, by Burke's admission, there was interest in Cammy, so there was a deal to be had, Burke gambled and lost that the value was rising, no big deal though, you need to make those gambles.  I'm quite cretin after the miller trade Cammy would have fetched a 2nd, but I'm even more sure Burke's asking price was above that, which I do not blame him for.

Again, just needed to make a point here, about Feaster and more particularly the deal he got for Iggy, really wasn't that bad ans was a bout as good as it gets, but many have made a ton of assumptions about that deal, not unlike I did with the Burke handling of Cammy.  

However, I still do not like Burke and he is prone to his own ego, always has been, but whatever, he can't do much harm between now and the time we get a new GM, and definitely not any worse than Feaster, not that Feaster was that bad.

I was hoping this would catch the watchful eye of someone, but I did this for a reason, as far too often this has been done with Feaster, though I still stand by Feaster doing a decent job, and that outside of sending a Msg there was no reason for fire him till season's end.

However, where Feaster is mentioned, there have been many assumptions made, not unlike I did here with Burke.  That said, by Burke's admission, there was interest in Cammy, so there was a deal to be had, Burke gambled and lost that the value was rising, no big deal though, you need to make those gambles.  I'm quite cretin after the miller trade Cammy would have fetched a 2nd, but I'm even more sure Burke's asking price was above that, which I do not blame him for.

Again, just needed to make a point here, about Feaster and more particularly the deal he got for Iggy, really wasn't that bad ans was a bout as good as it gets, but many have made a ton of assumptions about that deal, not unlike I did with the Burke handling of Cammy.  

However, I still do not like Burke and he is prone to his own ego, always has been, but whatever, he can't do much harm between now and the time we get a new GM, and definitely not any worse than Feaster, not that Feaster was that bad.

All very good points, except that if the decision was made that Feaster was not the guy, then waiting until seasons end is a mistake.nobody wants a lame duck. Do you let him continue to make trades? Sign players? Direct the scouts? We all thought it was ludicrous and damaging when they made him carry the interim tag as long as he did when he was hired, this would have been just as bad.

People say the timing was suspicious. Ironically just as boston came to town. Maybe, or maybe he was able to talk to Chiarelli then and get the full story of that deal and that was the final coffin nail? He did say in the press conference that part of his analysis included speaking with other league execs.

On the iggy deal, you are correct. It wasnt a bad return, but it was still bungled badly and the end result embarrassed Chiarelli (and us).so many mistakes.. he told boston the deal was done before iggy signed off, he didnt get a clear commitment from iggy on where hed accept going to, when players submit their "List" thats a contract. Why did he allow iggy to dictate the terms? He had almost a week to play pittsburgh off boston but caved to the player..the list goes on

All very good points, except that if the decision was made that Feaster was not the guy, then waiting until seasons end is a mistake.nobody wants a lame duck. Do you let him continue to make trades? Sign players? Direct the scouts? We all thought it was ludicrous and damaging when they made him carry the interim tag as long as he did when he was hired, this would have been just as bad.

People say the timing was suspicious. Ironically just as boston came to town. Maybe, or maybe he was able to talk to Chiarelli then and get the full story of that deal and that was the final coffin nail? He did say in the press conference that part of his analysis included speaking with other league execs.

On the iggy deal, you are correct. It wasnt a bad return, but it was still bungled badly and the end result embarrassed Chiarelli (and us).so many mistakes.. he told boston the deal was done before iggy signed off, he didnt get a clear commitment from iggy on where hed accept going to, when players submit their "List" thats a contract. Why did he allow iggy to dictate the terms? He had almost a week to play pittsburgh off boston but caved to the player..the list goes on

Not going to touch on all you post but this is an interesting point, and my answer is only my perspective.  However, I say yes and here is why:

we are still in the process of "shoving the drive way", the snow may be cleared but there is still some salting to do.

My reason for this is simple, Monahan, Klimchuck and Poirier.  Add in the likes of Seloff, Wotherspoon, Gaudreau etc.  Yes, I would like to have let Feaster (and more so his scouting team lead by Wiesbrod) one more crack at the draft, no reason not to.  As far as FA, no let him go before FA, which is the window we can expect to see new GM options available anyway.  As far as trades go, they would have had to been approved by Burke anyway so it's a moot point.

But, yes, I'd have kept both Feaster and Wisebrod on till the end of the draft, it's not like they could get a new job until after then anyway, so it would have been a good way to handle it overall.  Keep in mind, GOOD NHL executives, not unlike players will go to teams which show a history of treating their employees well, this move shows the opposite.  Again, just my perspective.

Perfect!!! Thanks

Fixed that last statement for you :)  

Feaster's biggest problem was his mouth.  It's one thing to swing for the fences with Janko, but another to say he will be the best player from the 1st round.  He was always trying to defend his actions.  Saying he knew about the ROR situation, but chose to go with his legal opinion of the CBA.  Speaking of ROR, how is it that Greg Sherman still has a job after failing to sign him, thus exposing him to the offer sheet and increased salary?

Glad Feaster is gone because he made Calgary the butt of jokes on TSN and CBC.  Any trades that Burke makes (or sign off on), will be better than all but a Feaster homerun ever was.  Erixon was the closest to one of those I think.  Of the drafts that Feaster was involved in, these are the players I like:

2011 Draft

- Sven (liked him then and now)

- Granlund

- Wotherspoon

- Johnny Hockey

- Brossoit (traded for Smid, really)

2012 Draft

- Janko (just not the players that were passes up for)

- Seiloff

- Gillies

- Kulkin (not 100% sold on him yet)

- Gilmour (good rookie season)

2013 Draft

- Mony

- Poirier

- Klimchuk

- Kanzig (yes, I like the player - massive and not a plug)

- Roy

No, he can't take full credit for these picks, but he is the guy who has (or should have had) final say.

People fire themselves. I don't disagree with your statement. Despite all his faults, he did move large contracts and place the club in a better position than when he arrived. He stocked the cupboards with some good prospects as well.

We all know Feaster was gone when Burke arrived. If you want a true gauge of your organization you ask others out side of it. Feaster created his own destiny.

Perfect!!! Thanks

People fire themselves. I don't disagree with your statement. Despite all his faults, he did move large contracts and place the club in a better position than when he arrived. He stocked the cupboards with some good prospects as well.

We all know Feaster was gone when Burke arrived. If you want a true gauge of your organization you ask others out side of it. Feaster created his own destiny.

Kind of like when Feaster was hired, Dutter's days were numbered as well.

But I agree with the criteria. You should hit on your 1st and 2nds and then once in a while hit in later rounds but it's a more apportiate call to make in 5 years after a draft not 2.

And I agree that it's too early to call it.   I stated such in my original post.  I am "projecting" only :)

It's just a little easier to spot potential misses than potential wins, due to the extremely low odds of a win, in the best of cases.

ie....Jankowski may end up being a franchise player, for all we know.

Monahan might too.

It's too early to make the call either way.

But it's not 50/50.

(maybe 5% chance for Jankowski, 40% chance for Monahan.  ballpark example)

I think we sometimes forget the state this franchise was in when it was handed over to Feaster. Dutter completely buried this team financially with too many NTC, spending to the cap for non playoff results and too many 1 dimensional players. I'm sure in a lot of cases Feaster had his hands tied which inherently affected the what, when and how's of his rebuild attempt. We are far better off now, and a lot of the moves Feaster made were no brainers but I"d say he did more good than harm overall. I can't really peg him for stating the Flames were still playoff contenders when Iggy and JBow were around..that was a mandate handed down to him by the owners. I agree with those who think he overhyped a lot of his moves(Janko, Sven for example), and fumbled some deals, Oreilly, signing Modin and the reach for Brad Richards. But when you pit what he managed to achieve in 3 years vs what our neighbours in Edmonton have achieved with all their touted draft picks over the same amount of time its obvious Feaster could have done a much much worse job. I"m sure a ton of Oilers (and others around the league) laughed at Feaster being our GM but I"m sure they'd change their tones after watching the Flames give it 100% day in and day out.

Archived