Flames & Losing For Higher Draft Order.

DirtyDeeds

Higher Draft picks worth losing?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay to lose for the sake of a higher draft pick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided or don't care.
    • It is not as simple as yes or no.

Ramo was sent down after 6 games. in that time he started 2..TWO of them . yes, both losses, but one was over 40 shots and a .933 SV%.  Once he was back he was over .900 very consistently 

Hiller on the other hand, not so much..  if its true what people say another 10 points put us back in the race, he easily is responsible for those

I think Hiller has lost it mentally and would be surprised to see if anyone picks him up next season. Ramo has to bounce back from an ACL and I would expect if he stays in NA he starts in the AHL on a proving mission but not with the Flames.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Hiller has lost it mentally and would be surprised to see if anyone picks him up next season. Ramo has to bounce back from an ACL and I would expect if he stays in NA he starts in the AHL on a proving mission but not with the Flames.

Oh totally .. he packed it in and went home before Christmas

On Ramo i disagree on the new team part. i really do not see us walking away unless we get a Massive upgrade to him . i agree he likely wont start the season , will need to go to the A to get his form back.. but in some ways that makes him easier to sign . 

I just dont see us walking away from him .Gut feeling 

So the odds are out, and flames have a roughly 65% chance of dropping in the draft and 25% chance of moving up. Only a 10% chance of staying at 5, so we should get used to the idea of picking 6th (35%) or 7th (25%) as that is the most likely scenario.

So the odds are out, and flames have a roughly 65% chance of dropping in the draft and 25% chance of moving up. Only a 10% chance of staying at 5, so we should get used to the idea of picking 6th (35%) or 7th (25%) as that is the most likely scenario.

I know the odds changed from last year, but the Oilers placed 28th last year and managed to win the lottery.

This is why I couldn't help but be frustrated by beating Minnisota. I wasn't as much concerned about the increased odds of moving up, its moving down. Had the Flames finished 4 I like their changes of a top 6 pick that much better and I think in this draft picking in the top 6 assures them of getting an asset that is going to fill a major hole. Once you get to 7 you are going to need to rely on other teams to help you. Flames IMO, really need a high impact forward and at 7 you might not get one. I think the top 12 is still realy strong so they are going to get a good player, but a high impact forward is really what they need. 

Lottery - April 30, 2016 in Toronto.

Draft - June 24 & 25, 2016 in Buffalo.

Calgary's Odds:

Pick     %

1 = 8.5%

2 = 8.767%

3 = 9.011%

4 = 0

5 = 9.094%

6 = 35.465%

7 = 25.467%

8 = 3.697%

9 & higher = 0

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/4/10/11396278/2016-nhl-draft-lottery-final-rules-and-odds-table

This is why I couldn't help but be frustrated by beating Minnisota. I wasn't as much concerned about the increased odds of moving up, its moving down. Had the Flames finished 4 I like their changes of a top 6 pick that much better and I think in this draft picking in the top 6 assures them of getting an asset that is going to fill a major hole. Once you get to 7 you are going to need to rely on other teams to help you. Flames IMO, really need a high impact forward and at 7 you might not get one. I think the top 12 is still realy strong so they are going to get a good player, but a high impact forward is really what they need. 

The highest impact forward, outside of Matthews, is Keller imho.

How long are you willing to wait?

The highest impact forward, outside of Matthews, is Keller imho.

How long are you willing to wait?

I'm not as high on Keller as you are. He reminds me a lot more of Rocco Grimaldi then he does Gaudrea. I'll see if he can change my mind at the U 18s.

It's not that I want someone to step in right away. Im pretty high on both Dubois and Tkachuk and personally I don't think either play in the NHL next year but I just want someone who can project as a first liner. Outside the top 7 IMO the odds decrease that you will get that. Some very good players who might become first liners in the right situation but not as likely IMO. I think after Nylander this forward group drops off a bit. I really like Tyson Jost but I also think he is a natural center and I was more hopeful for a winger but that's me getting greedy I guess

What if we win the lottery? We could trade the pick to Arizona, who are rumoured to be willing to sell the farm for Matthews. Maybe our first + Wideman for their first + Ekman Larsson? Still get a decent pick and a major upgrade on the backend. Salaries more or less balance.

What if we win the lottery? We could trade the pick to Arizona, who are rumoured to be willing to sell the farm for Matthews. Maybe our first + Wideman for their first + Ekman Larsson? Still get a decent pick and a major upgrade on the backend. Salaries more or less balance.

I'm pretty sure the Coyotes president came out and said even after firing Maloney that the club has no interst or intent in trading OEL.

Having said that, I meant trading their first rounder for a player or another assets. I'm fine looking at moving up or down in the draft, but I think its highly unlikely they ship out their first for a player. 

I'm pretty sure the Coyotes president came out and said even after firing Maloney that the club has no interst or intent in trading OEL.

Having said that, I meant trading their first rounder for a player or another assets. I'm fine looking at moving up or down in the draft, but I think its highly unlikely they ship out their first for a player.

Ah, I see. I'm with you on that.

Anyone run the draft simulator lately? I haven't seen one since the final standings were determined.

I ran it 50 times yesterday for a good sample size. 

Flames drafted 1st 8 times

Flames drafted 2nd 9 times

Flames drafted 3rd 6 times. 

So 23 of 50 times we landed in the top 3. 46% (which is more than we logically should but I'm not complaining). 

I am willing to bet a few bucks that the Flames won't draft 4th this draft.

Ha ha ha.  That is a sucker bet.  They can't draft 4th.   :D

Although it may seem improbable now, there is a decent chance of it happening.  If the Flames do not win 1 of the 3 draft lotteries, and one of the FIN's drops to 4th, you would have to think that BT would seriously explore the cost of moving up via trade to grab that 4th pick.

Archived