Flames Live Prospect Tracker

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think that there may be a few gems in the last few years of drafting.

2015 - 3/5 still potential NHL

2016 - 5/9 potential at the least

2017 - 4/5 potential, but a bit early to say for sure

Early returns are always tough but at the same time I don't think there has been this much reason for optimism in some time.

In back to back years the Flames have had the most or 2nd most prospects at the World Juniors. I cannot remember that happening at any point before. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Early returns are always tough but at the same time I don't think there has been this much reason for optimism in some time.

In back to back years the Flames have had the most or 2nd most prospects at the World Juniors. I cannot remember that happening at any point before. 

I know he's small but Phillips has something like 15 points in 4 games.  He was the reason that VIC moved past VAN.

Nice to add guys like him, Gawdin, Dube and possibly Valimaki to the AHL team.  Gives us a better idea of their likelyhood of NHL ceiling.

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I know he's small but Phillips has something like 15 points in 4 games.  He was the reason that VIC moved past VAN.

Nice to add guys like him, Gawdin, Dube and possibly Valimaki to the AHL team.  Gives us a better idea of their likelyhood of NHL ceiling.

I really like Phillips from everything I see and hear. I've never had the chance to actually watch him play though. He seems to have plenty of talent. I know he's smaller than JG and lighter than either JG or Martin St. Louis but still if there was ever a time he could make it, the current NHL might be it. Tons of potential for a sixth round pick. 

I'm not sure that he will ever become a NHL regular, but I'm real excited to see him play in the AHL next season.

He's probably too small to play at centre in the Pro leagues, but he might become a "Gaudreau light" on RW.

He still has the option to play as a 20 year old in the WHL, but I don't think that he has much left to learn or prove there.

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

I'm not sure that he will ever become a NHL regular, but I'm real excited to see him play in the AHL next season.

He's probably too small to play at centre in the Pro leagues, but he might become a "Gaudreau light" on RW.

He still has the option to play as a 20 year old in the WHL, but I don't think that he has much left to learn or prove there.

I'm sure that Victoria would love to have him back, but I also think the Flames want him to turn pro.

They have so few pure goal scorers.

If Phillips can put some weight on I could see a Byron like role for him in the pros. Not always easy to see that flying in the Western Conference but you never know with the way the game has developed. 

No way I see the Flames putting him in junior next year, they'll turn him pro and should be fun to watch. 

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

If Phillips can put some weight on I could see a Byron like role for him in the pros. Not always easy to see that flying in the Western Conference but you never know with the way the game has developed. 

No way I see the Flames putting him in junior next year, they'll turn him pro and should be fun to watch. 

He does play hard like Bryron does, but you are right, he needs to add weight.

• 1 month later...

Adam Ollas Mattson is still without an NHL deal. If the Flames don't sign him by June 1 they will lose his rights. Was on an AHL only deal last year. Seems pretty unlikely the Flames would sign him between now and June 1. 

I've never seen him play, so I'm looking for some insight beyond the fact that he only played 14 games for Stockton last season.

The Heat went through 6 different LD last season.

6'4", 216 lb and still only 21, what's holding him back?

The Flames Reserve List currently includes 6 Russians (Indefinite Rights), 4 of them are already 34 years old and over.

12 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I've never seen him play, so I'm looking for some insight beyond the fact that he only played 14 games for Stockton last season.

The Flames Reserve List currently includes 6 Russians (Indefinite Rights), 4 of them are already 34 years old and over.

Skating and mobility. He is below avg in both. 

13 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

15-20 years ago Ollas Mattsson would have been a top prospect, a big physical stay at home defenseman who limits his mistakes, the league has evolved to the point where defensemen under 6' are covered because they can skate. Unfortunately Ollas Mattsson is a throw back player and there just isn't much room in the game for that type of player anymore.

Wish we could hold his rights for a bit longer, but I am just not sure he is ready for an NHL contract at this point.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

15-20 years ago Ollas Mattsson would have been a top prospect, a big physical stay at home defenseman who limits his mistakes, the league has evolved to the point where defensemen under 6' are covered because they can skate. Unfortunately Ollas Mattsson is a throw back player and there just isn't much room in the game for that type of player anymore.

Wish we could hold his rights for a bit longer, but I am just not sure he is ready for an NHL contract at this point.

I think he was doing well until the injury at the WJC.  Not a big points producer, but solid on defense.

He languished in Stockton, so unless we graduate a couple of D-men or fail to re-sign others, he will probably not get offered even an AHL deal.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Everytime I have watched Zavgorodniy this pre season he has impressed. He is quick, skilled and not afraid to go to the hard areas. He is dynamic with the puck. Calgary might have quite the steal on their hands with this 7th round pick.

So, what is the story with him?  Does he have to return to junior or is he able to play in the AHL?

Not that he belongs in the AHL, just asking.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, what is the story with him?  Does he have to return to junior or is he able to play in the AHL?

Not that he belongs in the AHL, just asking.

He was drafted out of the Q, so he will have to go back to the Q or go to Europe. I think a year of playing in the Q, hopefully playing Lafreniere, will be good for his development. I expect his point totals to jump up by quite a bit.

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Everytime I have watched Zavgorodniy this pre season he has impressed. He is quick, skilled and not afraid to go to the hard areas. He is dynamic with the puck. Calgary might have quite the steal on their hands with this 7th round pick.

Ya agreed. A high skilled little guy (5'-9") who always seems to find a way to get open behind the D.  Always around the puck.  Quick.  Smart.  Has a good wrist shot.  I don't know what there's to not like about him other than size.  

With Lafreniere in Rimouski, who looks like the next great French player, maybe Zavgorodniy can top 100 points.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Jtech and I discussed this elsewhere but to centralize it I thought i'd put it here.

Not a surprise but Slovakia invited Martin Poposil, Milos Roman and Adam Ruzicka to their World Junior Camp today. Article needs to be translated.

Team Slovakia World Juniors

And Filip Svengsson was invited to Team Sweden. Unless i'm missing someone that is your potential Flames contingent at the World Juniors this year. Seems low but given their lack of top 60 picks the last few years, it's actually not bad. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Rafikov remains on the Flames reserve list indefinitely.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flames/reserve-list

It's not that I doubt you, but I was reading about Rafi and Karni, both drafted by the Flames, and their rights were due to expire.  Rafi a year ago and Karni this year.  Maybe there is some quirk in the rules of reserve lists or the KHL has some things built in, but I don't think they are Falmes property.  Neither will come back IMHO, unless they have a real shot at the NHL.  AHL pay is too little.

Archived