Flames Live Prospect Tracker

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two updates from Friday:

Valimaki signed his ELC; $925k + $425k in potential bonuses

Ollas-Mattsson signed an AHL-only deal with the Heat.  That is huge, since it will keep him in North America.  He was looking like he was going to stay in Europe.  Not a flashy guy, but he is big and capable defender.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Two updates from Friday:

Valimaki signed his ELC; $925k + $425k in potential bonuses

Ollas-Mattsson signed an AHL-only deal with the Heat.  That is huge, since it will keep him in North America.  He was looking like he was going to stay in Europe.  Not a flashy guy, but he is big and capable defender.

I must be mixing him up with someone else from Northern Europe because I thought he had already announced he was playing across the pond.

42 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I must be mixing him up with someone else from Northern Europe because I thought he had already announced he was playing across the pond.

There was no guarantee he was going to be signed here.  He didn't get an ELC, which is typical for prospects.  He got an AHL only deal.  Maybe you are thinking of Pavel Kharnakov.  Belarussian signed in KHL, IIRC.  Or Rafikov the Russian who will probably never come over. Forgive the spelling.  

51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There was no guarantee he was going to be signed here.  He didn't get an ELC, which is typical for prospects.  He got an AHL only deal.  Maybe you are thinking of Pavel Kharnakov.  Belarussian signed in KHL, IIRC.  Or Rafikov the Russian who will probably never come over. Forgive the spelling.  

Speaking of Rafikov, what happened with that guy? If I recall, he was a pretty good dman for Russia. I would have thought that the Flames would ask the guy if he was prepared to play here before drafting him. I understand that he was a late pick, but it is still a waste. I don't think he ever even came to a camp.

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

Speaking of Rafikov, what happened with that guy? If I recall, he was a pretty good dman for Russia. I would have thought that the Flames would ask the guy if he was prepared to play here before drafting him. I understand that he was a late pick, but it is still a waste. I don't think he ever even came to a camp.

He tried to come to dev camp a few times, but ran into visa issues.  He played this year for Lokomotiv of the KHL, and I believe that the Flames lost his rights as of June 1st of this year.  He's probably good enough to play in the AHL, but why would he bother coming over for $70k a year?  

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He tried to come to dev camp a few times, but ran into visa issues.  He played this year for Lokomotiv of the KHL, and I believe that the Flames lost his rights as of June 1st of this year.  He's probably good enough to play in the AHL, but why would he bother coming over for $70k a year?  

Because Rafikov Has "defected" player status the flames will actually hold his rights in perpetuity. Not sure he will ever want to come over but if he does the Flames will have his rights. 

On 7/17/2017 at 8:42 AM, cross16 said:

Valamaki and Tuuloo were both invited to Finland's summer U20 camp. Valamaki is basically a lock but nice to see Tuuloo on the radar as well.

Tuuloo will be the equivalent of Dube for there squads will be fun to watch. I think E2 will probably be a little nastier but both will defend and cause some grit to the game.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Anyone know anything about that player the Flames signed this summer, from the Rangers? Apparently he'll be gunning for the 4th line. 

I hope he's an energy guy... 

Here's the article from SN about him.  Don't get your hopes up yet...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-sign-winger-marek-hrivik-one-year-two-way-deal/

20 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Anyone know anything about that player the Flames signed this summer, from the Rangers? Apparently he'll be gunning for the 4th line. 

I hope he's an energy guy... 

Maybe he is a LW that could play with Backlund and Frolik. He is an unknown right now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some of Calgary's junior prospects are off to great starts this season.

Matthew Phillips:

GP:10-G:9-A:15-PTS:24 (2nd in WHL scoring)

Dillon Dube:

GP:6-G:3A:8-PTS:11

Jussi Valimaki:

GP:4-G:1-A:3-PTS:4

Adam Ruzicka:

GP:9-G:8-A:6-PTS:14 (3rd in OHL scoring)

~~~~~

That's just insane.  9g in 10 played for Phillips.  8g in 9 played for Ruzicka.  

I hope Phillips can make the transition to pro hockey.  He was a letdown this pre-season.  I think he's somewhat the same player as Yamamoto; both can score easily in junior but will have a tough time in pro hockey.  I don't know where he would fit on the current Flames team, but a bigger center that can shoot is always intriguing.  

Hunter Smith was just demoted to the ECHL. The 2014 draft isn't turning out too great for anyone, but Calgary in particular. Smith draft choice looks especially bad when you look at the fact that Brandon Montour was drafted directly after Smith and Christian Dvorak was taken a few picks later. Montour especially would look nice on this blueline.

Thank goodness Burke was limited to the 1 draft as the Flames clearly made a shift in their drafting after Treliving was hired. I know he was technically hired before the 2014 draft but by the time he was hired he basically would have had no say in the list.

As you say it wan't a great draft but sure feels like they wasted those 2 2nd round picks. Were never good picks to begin with and have just continued to get worse. Never a good sign when both are in the ECHL 3 years after being drafted. McDonald still has an outside chance but I'm certain we will never see Hunter Smith in the NHL outside of a game or two or something. 

Flames definitely did not nail the draft when they started this rebuild as they said they needed to. Thanks goodness they've made a couple key trades. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Hunter Smith was just demoted to the ECHL. The 2014 draft isn't turning out too great for anyone, but Calgary in particular. Smith draft choice looks especially bad when you look at the fact that Brandon Montour was drafted directly after Smith and Christian Dvorak was taken a few picks later. Montour especially would look nice on this blueline.

Poor AHL scouting I guess, but Dvorak had an abbreviated season, while Smith put up respectable numbers.  The reasons were less obvious than just looking at stats.  Smith being oversized.  Montour was in the USHL at the time, so may not have had anyone watching there after Feaster and the other guy were fired.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Flames definitely did not nail the draft when they started this rebuild as they said they needed to. Thanks goodness they've made a couple key trades. 

It's too bad.  We needed to nail the 2013 and 2014 drafts but didn't.  Now we are left with a hole on our RW and no prospects ready.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It's too bad.  We needed to nail the 2013 and 2014 drafts but didn't.  Now we are left with a hole on our RW and no prospects ready.

Ah, 2013.  The Keegan Kanzig draft.   We got Monahan right, at least.

Everything after that, we started drafting off the board that year (thus exit Feaster).   Small chance for Poirier/Klimchuk, but basically, yeah.   Getting close to calling it.

2014, I stand behind Sam Bennett but definitely could go a little smoother with the development.  After that we went WAY off the board.   

I do feel we cleaned up our act and drafted better from 2015-2017

Archived