Flames Live Prospect Tracker

There are always guys that produce at an AHL level but who can't cut it in the NHL. Kolanos, Walter, Street, etc are all recent Flames examples.

That said, I am interested in seeing Hamilton at the NHL level. Grant I liked in limited viewings. I am not a fan of either Agostino or Shore though.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do. But they don't crack my top 10 (Granlund is 11).  I like the prospects in my rankings up to 14 and Agostino is 14.  After that I don't have much hope.  My top 14 is:

1. Hickey

2. Gilles

3. Poirier

4. Jankowski

5. Mangiapane

6. Kylington

7. Andersson

8. Arnold

9. Klimchuk

10. Ortio

11. Granlund

12. Smith

13. MacDonald

14. Agostino

Jankowski and Mangiapane have seen the biggest jumps on my list this season.  Kilimchuk saw a bit of a fall, but it is his first season of pro and I still like him.  Morisson had the biggest fall.  I was pretty high on him this off season, but he has done nothing so far.  

The only place I don't feel good about is Poirier.  I have him at 3 because of what I have seen in the past.  But I am starting to lose faith in him.  Hopefully he restores faith soon.  I am close to dropping him to around 8.  

A Ryan Pike opinion about the Flames top 10:

http://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-calgary-flames-prospects-winter-2015-edition/

1 - Gillies

2 - Kylington

3 - Hickey

4 - Granlund

5 - Mangiapane

6 - Poirier

7 - Andersson

8 - Klimchuk

9 - McDonald

10 - Jankowski

Interesting ranking.

A Ryan Pike opinion about the Flames top 10:

http://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-calgary-flames-prospects-winter-2015-edition/

1 - Gillies

2 - Kylington

3 - Hickey

4 - Granlund

5 - Mangiapane

6 - Poirier

7 - Andersson

8 - Klimchuk

9 - McDonald

10 - Jankowski

Interesting ranking.

His are pretty close to the ones I posted. Today I have Kylington a little higher and Poirier a lot lower as well.

Poirier really hasn't stood out to me. Meanwhile Kylington is doing really well in his rookie season as an 18 year old. Tough to do for a D, especially one adapting to North America.

I don't agree with where he has Granlund. I don't know if he is going to be a full time NHL player. He is a poor man's Backlund and any team should be able to do better for a third line C.

His are pretty close to the ones I posted. Today I have Kylington a little higher and Poirier a lot lower as well.

Poirier really hasn't stood out to me. Meanwhile Kylington is doing really well in his rookie season as an 18 year old. Tough to do for a D, especially one adapting to North America.

I don't agree with where he has Granlund. I don't know if he is going to be a full time NHL player. He is a poor man's Backlund and any team should be able to do better for a third line C.

Agreed. i'm very, very, very close to writing off Granlund. I wasn't a fan pre draft, he never really won me over as he developed and he is realy not winning me over now. He is barely a 4th liner at this point IMO.

I don't agree with the rankings per se but I do think Pike got the top 10 right. Except give me a month or so and i might take Granlund right out of that list.  I don't feel he missed a prospect and while I would probably change some of the individual rankings (I have Hickey and Anderson ahead of Kylington and I would put Jankowski above Magniapaine and Granlund) the grouping is right.

1-Gilles

2-Hickey

3- Anderson

4- Jankowski

5- Kylington

6- Porier

7- Magniapane

8- Klimchuk

9-McDonald

10-Granlund

is probably how I would do it. I'm in wait and see mode on Porier. By all accounts i've read he is really trying to change his game and that is part of the reason he is really inconsistant down on the farm right now. Talent and upside is still there. 

Agreed. i'm very, very, very close to writing off Granlund. I wasn't a fan pre draft, he never really won me over as he developed and he is realy not winning me over now. He is barely a 4th liner at this point IMO.

I don't agree with the rankings per se but I do think Pike got the top 10 right. Except give me a month or so and i might take Granlund right out of that list. I don't feel he missed a prospect and while I would probably change some of the individual rankings (I have Hickey and Anderson ahead of Kylington and I would put Jankowski above Magniapaine and Granlund) the grouping is right.

1-Gilles

2-Hickey

3- Anderson

4- Jankowski

5- Kylington

6- Porier

7- Magniapane

8- Klimchuk

9-McDonald

10-Granlund

is probably how I would do it. I'm in wait and see mode on Porier. By all accounts i've read he is really trying to change his game and that is part of the reason he is really inconsistant down on the farm right now. Talent and upside is still there.

Right now my top 10 is:

1. Hickey

2. Gilles

3. Jankowski

4. Kylington

5. Anderson

6. Mangiapane

7. Poirier

8. Klimchuk

9. Arnold

10. Gilmour

I moved Granlund out of my top 10 in favor of Gilmour. I think Gilmour is am underrated prospect. He is one of the top D on the top team in college and he is having a heck of a season.

I also left Arnold in my top 10. The offence isn't there but he reads like a future shut down 3 line C with size, some offensive flash, and the ability to take draws. Those guys are necessary and hard to come by.

Right now my top 10 is:

1. Hickey

2. Gilles

3. Jankowski

4. Kylington

5. Anderson

6. Mangiapane

7. Poirier

8. Klimchuk

9. Arnold

10. Gilmour

I moved Granlund out of my top 10 in favor of Gilmour. I think Gilmour is am underrated prospect. He is one of the top D on the top team in college and he is having a heck of a season.

I also left Arnold in my top 10. The offence isn't there but he reads like a future shut down 3 line C with size, some offensive flash, and the ability to take draws. Those guys are necessary and hard to come by.

I have also liked Gilmour since last year, but this year more so.  I think the top 5 is pretty accurate. I think Hickey may be a bit further away from the NHL than Janko and Gillies and Kylington, but that's just based on either being in the AHL or starting to display numbers expected for a guy to make the NHL.

At some point, I would like to see what Arnold has at the NHL level.  His pre-season was cut short due to an unfortunate injury at the wrong time.  I think it's best to keep Kylington in the AHL this season.

I may be the only one, but I hope to see Ollas Matsson playing in the AHL next season.  He could use some development playing in the NA system, where his skating issues can be worked on.

If I had to move someone out I think Ollas Matsson would be next in line. I've liked him at the WJC so far. Big, very strong and plays a very safe and reliable game and makes the right play almost every time. Not the most fleet of foot but at the same to,e you never see him get beat by speed so I'm becoming less concerned.

I don't dislike Gilmour but I just don't see a lot of NHL potential. I think his size is going to hold him back and I'm not sure he's got enough offence to add to overcome that. I do think he could get to the point where he's solid in th AHL and a call up which is why I still like the pick.

If I had to move someone out I think Ollas Matsson would be next in line. I've liked him at the WJC so far. Big, very strong and plays a very safe and reliable game and makes the right play almost every time. Not the most fleet of foot but at the same to,e you never see him get beat by speed so I'm becoming less concerned.

I don't dislike Gilmour but I just don't see a lot of NHL potential. I think his size is going to hold him back and I'm not sure he's got enough offence to add to overcome that. I do think he could get to the point where he's solid in th AHL and a call up which is why I still like the pick.

12 points in 16 games on a defensive team is not bad, but he sizes up around Russell, so I hear ya.  He's basically doubled last year's output, so there is some reason for hope.

12 points in 16 games on a defensive team is not bad, but he sizes up around Russell, so I hear ya. He's basically doubled last year's output, so there is some reason for hope.

I get a bit weary of prospects who later in their development suddenly put up a bunch of points. . I think you have to question if he has it now then where has it been for the last 3 seasons? But for me it's not just the point totals because. Watching him even in development camps his fame has never screamed offensive potential.

Could be a late bloomer for sure I just don't personally believe so. More often than not a sudden jump in points is attributed to the age gap he is playing with and less on the player. Not all the time though.

Adam Ollas Mattson will miss the rest of the tournament and likely a few weeks after with an undisclosed injury and was seen in a walking boot. No one has confirmed the injury but I feel bad for him and I think he was having a real nice tournament. 

Adam Ollas Mattson will miss the rest of the tournament and likely a few weeks after with an undisclosed injury and was seen in a walking boot. No one has confirmed the injury but I feel bad for him and I think he was having a real nice tournament. 

I hope to see him some time on the Heat, to get a better idea of his value to the team.  He's still young, but he could be something in the future.  

• 5 weeks later...

Derek Grant now is leading the AHL in Goals with 23 and also ranked 9th for scoring with 38 pts. He's only played 30 games whereas some of the leading scorers are in the 40+ games played mark. He's killing it down there, really hope to see him up on the big squad around the TDL! :lol:

So if you guys take the blame for Grant because of your suggestions then I guess I better take the blame for Bennett because I predicted him to be rookie of the yr boy was I wrong just think if half of the shots on net went in he would be top in scoring right now but my perdiction killed that sorry Bennett all my fault sniff :(

Sorry guys I take partial blame for the Grant injury.... :mellow::unsure:

You weren't the only one suggesting it. I was too.

So if you guys take the blame for Grant because of your suggestions then I guess I better take the blame for Bennett because I predicted him to be rookie of the yr boy was I wrong just think if half of the shots on net went in he would be top in scoring right now but my perdiction killed that sorry Bennett all my fault sniff :(

2a2759a5143ce2add9fbda55d552b935.png

• 1 month later...

Don't have a great spot for this so thought I would put it here.

Treliving also says #Flames do not intend to sign John Gilmour to an NHL contract at this time. Says AHL contract is an option, though.

Not a surprise. Gilmour doens't have an NHL skill set IMO so I'd rather not burn a contract on him. 

Don't have a great spot for this so thought I would put it here.

Treliving also says #Flames do not intend to sign John Gilmour to an NHL contract at this time. Says AHL contract is an option, though.

Not a surprise. Gilmour doens't have an NHL skill set IMO so I'd rather not burn a contract on him. 

No point in signing him just yet, even if they felt he was a NHL talent.  The Flames really need to keep a lid on NHL contracts until the UFA's and potential top 5 draft picks are sorted out.  

No point in signing him just yet, even if they felt he was a NHL talent. The Flames really need to keep a lid on NHL contracts until the UFA's and potential top 5 draft picks are sorted out.

Flames are at 46 contracts with multiple UFAs and Rfas coming up so contract space isn't a huge issue. If the thought Gilmour was a legit prospect they would sign him. I don't think they see him as that and I happen to agree with them

Flames are at 46 contracts with multiple UFAs and Rfas coming up so contract space isn't a huge issue. If the thought Gilmour was a legit prospect they would sign him. I don't think they see him as that and I happen to agree with them

It depends on contracts no longer sliding, possibly going after some college (or Czech) UFA's and how many of the FRA's will be retained.  Also, it's not just now but the future as well.  

But, as far as Gilmour goes, I agree there may not be a NHL future in him.  He would have to become a Flame the same way as Jooris or Hathaway.  Too many guys ahead of him on the depth chart that play a similar game.

Archived