Official 2013 Nhl Draft Day Thread

s4xon

So what your saying is we should have traded our #6 pick for multiple picks as well just to get more assets.  How have you felt anbout the Jankowski draft last year? Probably pissed at that too . Start to use your head and see things from inside the flames camp. They have aspects of a prospect that they rank. Tsn and all the other lists rank the players on their on ice ability alone.  To me it looks like Calgary is ranking a persons character high on their criteria.  Where you there for the interviews with the kids? If you were plaes tell me what makes them who they are.

You're trying to understand how my suggestion can still land Poirier but I'm not even suggesting we draft Poirier at all.  If we trade the 22nd pick for a later 1st (and possibly for picks next year), then do it.  If someone else drafts Poirier before the 28th pick, then someone else drafts Poirier.  If he is still available at 28th, then take him.  Trade down to gain more assets.    

Monahan's interview reminded me of Greg Nemisz's interview.  Both guys were shy and unsure of themselves.  When asked what they can offer the Flames, they both just iterated what scouts say about them... just not socially developed.  Monahan was saying he wants to be a leader but i'm not sure if he's "alpha male" enough.  I can't see this kid walk into the Flames dressing room next season and convince his teammates that he's going to carry them through.  Not with his shyness.

The best interview of the day went to Curtis Lazar.  He just talked like a good guy, smile on face, very geniune and socially right there with you.  Lazar can be a vocal guy in the locker room and off-ice if he wants to be.

Again glad to know you have such an extensive knowledge of how Monahan is in the dressing room.  I wish Calgary would sign you to be our head scout. NOT  The kid is 18 years old getting a camera and mics stuffed in his face for millions of people to listen to what he has to say.  If he comes across shy does that mean he is a poor leader or unsure of what he can do on the ice? If you say yes to this you should open up a blog or something that you can tell people who they are and what they are capable of.  you could make millions

Let the prospects show us what they got. For all you winning about who we got or didn't get or where.  Think about it. Did you interview the kid, do you know what the organization wants the style of team to be? If the answer is NO then Keep all the negative Crap out of here

If all you want to do is cry about everything wrong with the flames and management then go cheer for another team.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what your saying is we should have traded our #6 pick for multiple picks as well just to get more assets.  How have you felt anbout the Jankowski draft last year? Probably pissed at that too . Start to use your head and see things from inside the flames camp. They have aspects of a prospect that they rank. Tsn and all the other lists rank the players on their on ice ability alone.  To me it looks like Calgary is ranking a persons character high on their criteria.  Where you there for the interviews with the kids? If you were plaes tell me what makes them who they are.

Again glad to know you have such an extensive knowledge of how Monahan is in the dressing room.  I wish Calgary would sign you to be our head scout. NOT  The kid is 18 years old getting a camera and mics stuffed in his face for millions of people to listen to what he has to say.  If he comes across shy does that mean he is a poor leader or unsure of what he can do on the ice? If you say yes to this you should open up a blog or something that you can tell people who they are and what they are capable of.  you could make millions

Let the prospects show us what they got. For all you winning about who we got or didn't get or where.  Think about it. Did you interview the kid, do you know what the organization wants the style of team to be? If the answer is NO then Keep all the negative Crap out of here

If all you want to do is cry about everything wrong with the flames and management then go cheer for another team.

You are way off base because i like all the kids we drafted.

I don't like management's draft strategy.  Big difference.

Monahan's interview reminded me of Greg Nemisz's interview.  Both guys were shy and unsure of themselves.  When asked what they can offer the Flames, they both just iterated what scouts say about them... just not socially developed.  Monahan was saying he wants to be a leader but i'm not sure if he's "alpha male" enough.  I can't see this kid walk into the Flames dressing room next season and convince his teammates that he's going to carry them through.  Not with his shyness.

The best interview of the day went to Curtis Lazar.  He just talked like a good guy, smile on face, very geniune and socially right there with you.  Lazar can be a vocal guy in the locker room and off-ice if he wants to be.

Whoa, whoa, whoa..... Stop right there!

Your not seriously comparing Monahan to Nemo are you? There is a huge difference here.

1st) Greg played on a STACKED team and was able to float bye on the play of his team mates, he was never the leader on that team, he was never asked to carry the work load and he was never projected to be a first line C.

2nd) Monahan was a work horse who seemed to pull the cart on his own, he was the captain on and off the ice and let his play lead the way. This kid has been better then a ppg player in a very tough division with some very good defensive prospects that he had to take on head first.

To compare the two based on the fact that there shy is ridiculous, Jbow is a shy guy, yet he is considered a #1 damn by many. Some people will never be vocal leaders, Roneick Avery, ect..... Loved to be in the spotlight but I would never hand either one the C on my team!

I too don't get the sense they had Porier as the 12 th best player in the draft I think he was the 12 th best player they had a shot to select. Button made it sound like they ave two lists, one the complete ranking of all prospects and then second their own list of who they think the would draft but I can see the value of not wasting time over analyzing who is better between Horvat or Domi when the chanes are you won't have a shot at either.

I'm pretty vocal of this idea but I hate the idea of putting lists in order of who is the best per position as I think you end up drafting players that shouldn't be that high but he you need that position. From what I'm hearing this is how Sutter ran his scouting and IMO it's hat really burned us. I remember them saying going into the draft in 07 the were targeting a goalie and look how that turned out. I don't think you ever draft based on position until you get into the last few rounds that's the only time i can see value in it.

I had shinkarik as the highest player on my list but I'm not that upset about it to be honest. I think Hagg actually may have been the better pick there as it would have been nice to walk away from this draft with a high ceiling dman but I still think Porier is a solid prospect.

Horvat is A LOT better at this point in time...just saying.

It's funny they can't get a Memorial Cup, but then, every O team wants to beat the snot out of them 24/7 all season long...hasn't worked out too well.

The Hunter's are running an NHLer factory in London...it just doesn't stop!

2nd paragraph is spot on.

There are many that make their living squawking hockey and getting paid well.

Scouts, analysts, spinster writers.

It doesn't make them good, and it definitely doesn't make them right.

It's just like any industry, you wonder why some people have jobs!

Shinkaruk fell through many, so you can imagine a list of varying reasons.

Porier was the 12th best player they thought might be available at their picks, guys like Mac and Jones where obviously going to be gone and not on this list.  I believe he was 21st overall on the Flames list and the Flames knew the Habs really wanted him at 25th. Thats why they took him 22nd and didnt wait. Shinkaruk I wanted, but after watching him fall and listening to what some scouts have to say Im glad we didnt. Apparently he was really arrogant with his interviews and when asked what he needed to improve on he said nothing and came across badly to most teams. 

Monahan to me seemed like a kid who wasnt used to the media attention. He will get used to that. He told his mother that the Flames and Calgary felt like home to him. Its different being a leader when in a dressing room behind closed doors then being broadcast world wide on TV. Dealing with the media is something he will learn.

Your not seriously comparing Monahan to Nemo are you? There is a huge difference here.

1st) Greg played on a STACKED team and was able to float bye on the play of his team mates, he was never the leader on that team, he was never asked to carry the work load and he was never projected to be a first line C.

2nd) Monahan was a work horse who seemed to pull the cart on his own, he was the captain on and off the ice and let his play lead the way. This kid has been better then a ppg player in a very tough division with some very good defensive prospects that he had to take on head first.

To compare the two based on the fact that there shy is ridiculous, Jbow is a shy guy, yet he is considered a #1 damn by many. Some people will never be vocal leaders, Roneick Avery, ect..... Loved to be in the spotlight but I would never hand either one the C on my team!

He just had a boner for Nurse is all. Now he's just ranting....

And then again, the oilers goaltending graveyard is gonna need more than a nurse....

Holy over reaction Batman.

Jbow is a good example of what i meant when I was talking about Monahan's demeaner in his post-draft interview.  Monahan looked socially awkward.  Monahan may become a #1 Center because of everything you've said but needs a lot of work developing social competence before he can be considered captain material.  Shyness can certainly be overcome.

Sorry I couldn't post on draft day. In fact I wasn't able to even listen to it except for a 10 min break when I ran out to my truck and cranked both the air conditioning and the radio.

I was happy with the Monahan pick, "who?" with the Poirier pick and meh on the Klimchuck pick.

Awesome thread s4xon. Sorry about the late kudos there.I like the art work. *Salute*

Sorry I couldn't post on draft day. In fact I wasn't able to even listen to it except for a 10 min break when I ran out to my truck and cranked both the air conditioning and the radio.

I was happy with the Monahan pick, "who?" with the Poirier pick and meh on the Klimchuck pick.

Awesome thread s4xon. Sorry about the late kudos there.I like the art work. *Salute*

Lol thanks.  and....welcome back?  :P  We missed your imput for the last bloody 2 days Deeds...

Porier was the 12th best player they thought might be available at their picks, guys like Mac and Jones where obviously going to be gone and not on this list. 

I recall Feaster saying that they got two guys rated in their top 10 with their first two picks, so in all actuality Poirier was at least 10 or higher on their lists. Klimchuk was 13th.

I wouldn't say Monahan is shy, I'd say he's serious. Big difference. I don't think he lacks confidence, just he's a no non-sense kind of guy. At least that was my perspective from the interviews. I have no issues with Monahan's leadership potential. I'm a quieter guy and I've been in all sorts of leadership situations and have been effective (I think). You don't need to be a loudmouth arrogant guy to lead. In fact, sometimes it's more effective to be a quieter person and have what you say respected because you're not always blabbering about.

Zero issue with Monahan. He captained the '67's for a reason. Again, your actions speak alot louder than words and he's an effective on ice leader.

I wouldn't say Monahan is shy, I'd say he's serious. Big difference. I don't think he lacks confidence, just he's a no non-sense kind of guy. At least that was my perspective from the interviews. I have no issues with Monahan's leadership potential. I'm a quieter guy and I've been in all sorts of leadership situations and have been effective (I think). You don't need to be a loudmouth arrogant guy to lead. In fact, sometimes it's more effective to be a quieter person and have what you say respected because you're not always blabbering about.

Zero issue with Monahan. He captained the '67's for a reason. Again, your actions speak alot louder than words and he's an effective on ice leader.

I agree but further to that, this is a kid who has suddenly been thrust straight into the glare of huge media spotlight. I don't think the Monahan we saw in front of the cameras bears much esemblance to the Monahan on the ice and in the locker room.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived