Eastern Conference Playoff Thread 2013

DL44

6 members have voted

1. 1. Most likely team to pull the upset

• The Islanders
    • The Senators
    • The Rangers
    • The Maple Leafs

Too bad for the Sens but I'm picking Pitts in 5, they are just warming up.

Rangers won't be able to hang with the Bruins who will take their shame and turn it into rage into this series. Bruins in 6.

Yes shame, for allowing the Leafs to almost send them golfing.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else noticing the officials seem to heavily favour the Penguins and Rangers? Blatant penalties like high sticks to the face (that draw blood, too) are being ignored while they'll hand out power plays like candy to NY and PIT at critical points in the game for the most minor infractions like a tug on the arm. At first I dismissed it as just one or two bad games, but it seems they're consistently getting highly favourable treatment from the officials night after night. Imagine if NY actually had a decent powerplay!  :unsure:

Is it just me or does it look like Iginla is just an absolute passenger on the Pens?  He isn't taking charge and isn't playing hungry.  It's like someone has told him that he doesn't have to win it by himself, just don't lose it for them.  In return, he's playing to not screw up rather than playing with everything on the line.  It's kind of embarassing to watch.

Is it just me or does it look like Iginla is just an absolute passenger on the Pens?  He isn't taking charge and isn't playing hungry.  It's like someone has told him that he doesn't have to win it by himself, just don't lose it for them.  In return, he's playing to not screw up rather than playing with everything on the line.  It's kind of embarassing to watch.

Iginla scored 2 goals last night before you posted this...   That's pretty good for a passenger...   :)

The Iginla factor will be determined on how he plays when the team is on the ropes.

Don't think he's gone into hero mode cuz either he hasn't had to, or he can't. 

Let's face it... the play of Crosby has been pretty amazing and consistent.

But yeah... it's amazing how quiet the coverage has been on such a (former) superstar of a player thus far... but again that's probably how bright Crosby's play has been.

I think it's a little much to be calling his play embarrassing... he is putting up significant pts... just differently..

2 goals last night, and he got next to no attention because a- Neal with the hatty, and b- Crosby with a sick highlight reel goal.

12 pts in 10 games is flat out outstanding numbers for any player in the playoffs..  Seems to me he just doesn't have to play 'take over the game and play with reckless abandon' Iginla style... he's been very effective in his reduced role.

That's just the numbers and watching Crosby...

You are obviously watching 12 play a lot closer than I am so I can't argue against your perception of his play shift to shift.. and your obvious high level of expectation for the way he should be playing when he hits the ice.

Iggy has done well to create time and space for his line mates, he has made good passes and has been able to carry the puck into the offensive zone setting up some pretty nice goals.

I am surprised that we haven't seen the fire in his eyes yet, the guy hasn't played a playoff game in 4 years and is in the midst of what may be his best opportunity to hoist lord Stanley's cup, I excepted a little more urgency in his game but then again he no longer has to carry a team on his shoulders. I'm looking for big things from him in the next two rounds.

Has anyone else noticed the huge man crush that Glen Healy has for Crosby? Every single game all you hear from the guys mouth is how talented and awe inspiring Sid is lol. I'm betting that Healy has offered to wash his jock strap at the end of every game...

Has anyone else noticed the huge man crush that Glen Healy has for Crosby? Every single game all you hear from the guys mouth is how talented and awe inspiring Sid is lol. I'm betting that Healy has offered to wash his jock strap at the end of every game...

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. Not even just him, but all of CBC and TSN. I have no problem with giving praise where it's due, but they go way beyond that. I'd love to see more coverage of less popular teams and players. It would be so much more interesting and informative than the same talking heads regurgitating the Crosby worship 24/7.

This Boston/Pittsburgh matchup is more interesting after the Iginla deal. I guess Iggy will find out if he picked the right team  :lol:

As much as I like Iginla, I think I hate Pittsburgh more. They're like the Miami Heat of the NHL. I'm going to say Boston in 7, because they seem to have a thing for game 7s.

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. Not even just him, but all of CBC and TSN. I have no problem with giving praise where it's due, but they go way beyond that. I'd love to see more coverage of less popular teams and players. It would be so much more interesting and informative than the same talking heads regurgitating the Crosby worship 24/7.

This Boston/Pittsburgh matchup is more interesting after the Iginla deal. I guess Iggy will find out if he picked the right team  :lol:

As much as I like Iginla, I think I hate Pittsburgh more. They're like the Miami Heat of the NHL. I'm going to say Boston in 7, because they seem to have a thing for game 7s.

Healey is bad but any game on NBC (Nothing But Crosby) is worse. Pittsburgh needn't even be 1 of the teams playing but they gush about Sidney anyway.

A few of us in Flyers chat played a drinking game where you took a shot of your preferred beverage every time the NBC announcers mentioned Crosby. Most were very tipsy by the 2nd & there were hangovers the next day. :lol:

Iggy picking the Pens over the Bruins does add an interesting side story. When Boston beats Pittsburgh he's gotta be thinking he could have been advancing to the SC had he approved that instead. Sorry Iggy. Better luck next time. :D

Iginla scored 2 goals last night before you posted this...   That's pretty good for a passenger...   :)

The Iginla factor will be determined on how he plays when the team is on the ropes.

Don't think he's gone into hero mode cuz either he hasn't had to, or he can't. 

Let's face it... the play of Crosby has been pretty amazing and consistent.

But yeah... it's amazing how quiet the coverage has been on such a (former) superstar of a player thus far... but again that's probably how bright Crosby's play has been.

I think it's a little much to be calling his play embarrassing... he is putting up significant pts... just differently..

2 goals last night, and he got next to no attention because a- Neal with the hatty, and b- Crosby with a sick highlight reel goal.

12 pts in 10 games is flat out outstanding numbers for any player in the playoffs..  Seems to me he just doesn't have to play 'take over the game and play with reckless abandon' Iginla style... he's been very effective in his reduced role.

That's just the numbers and watching Crosby...

You are obviously watching 12 play a lot closer than I am so I can't argue against your perception of his play shift to shift.. and your obvious high level of expectation for the way he should be playing when he hits the ice.

Iginla isnt the go to guy on the Pens. Arguebly he isnt even the 4th go to guy. Hes getting points which is good, I just wish he would be more physical out there.

Iggy has done well to create time and space for his line mates, he has made good passes and has been able to carry the puck into the offensive zone setting up some pretty nice goals.

I am surprised that we haven't seen the fire in his eyes yet, the guy hasn't played a playoff game in 4 years and is in the midst of what may be his best opportunity to hoist lord Stanley's cup, I excepted a little more urgency in his game but then again he no longer has to carry a team on his shoulders. I'm looking for big things from him in the next two rounds.

As great as Iginla's numbers are, they are from sub-standard play, at least for Iginla's caliber.  He doesn't have that jump in his stride, that fire in his eyes, that hunger to go to danger areas.  Either by design or mis-use, Iginla is now a perimeter player, forcing passes that aren't there, losing the puck on the stick handle, missing the net on easy shots, etc.  He's playing "pretty hockey" but he's not that kind of guy.  He doesn't excel in that situation and it's showed. 

He's more suited to play Kings, Bruins, and Blackhawk hockey than Penguin hockey.  Ironically, all the teams who are still left in the playoffs.

Well the East is settled. On to the ECF.

Bruins over Pens in 6.

Doubt it, and Im not saying that cause Im a Pens fan. The Pens in the regular season beat up on the Bruins with their speed. Then they added Iginla, Morrow and Murray for the specific reason of beating the Bruins physically. I dont see a single catagory where Boston has the edge over Pittsburgh. The Pens are scoring about 4 goals a game, which is something Boston cannot do and Boston doesnt have the defense and goaltending to limit the Pens offense. I see Pittsburgh in 6, with 1-2 games being close and going to OT.

FlyerFan, don't be jealous over the Pens.. But it is understanding because you like a craphole team from a craphole town.. Philly will always be Pittsburghs jockstrap.. We own philly in every category.. Superbowls : Pitt 6 Philly 0.. World Series: Pitt 5 Philly 2 and we haven't been there since 79.. Stanley Cups: Pitt 3 Philly 2... I probably would be jealous too.. but hey, you have Rocky Balboa.. Congrats on that.. lol.. Bruins lost every game this year against the Pens and your going to pick them now? Mistake! We even beat them in their arena right after the Boston Bombing and they had all of the emotions in that game.. I will Pick the Pens in 5 or 6...

FlyerFan, don't be jealous over the Pens.. But it is understanding because you like a craphole team from a craphole town.. Philly will always be Pittsburghs jockstrap.. We own philly in every category.. Superbowls : Pitt 6 Philly 0.. World Series: Pitt 5 Philly 2 and we haven't been there since 79.. Stanley Cups: Pitt 3 Philly 2... I probably would be jealous too.. but hey, you have Rocky Balboa.. Congrats on that.. lol.. Bruins lost every game this year against the Pens and your going to pick them now? Mistake! We even beat them in their arena right after the Boston Bombing and they had all of the emotions in that game.. I will Pick the Pens in 5 or 6...

A very intelligent post. Did your mommy help you with that.

I have no idea why a Pengie troll would be on a Flames board but you've made a great 1st impression. Now you can crawl back in your hole.

If you took the time to read this board (or have someone explain it to you) you'd see that we have fans of various teams (including the Pens) that show respect for each other. Your inane & classless remark about the Boston Marathon bombing seem to show what you are. I'm glad all Pittsburgh fans aren't of your ilk.

I'm with zirak, although it pains me as I'll be cheering the Bruins.

I think Rask is going to have to be outstanding.

One thing about the 4 teams left though, is all 4 are going to be hard to beat for that 4th, series-clinching win. The goalie is going to have to be spectacular, and Quick is a given, but I think the other 3 are wildcards.

Too bad for MAF, but Vokoun certainly deserves his props after languishing his career on terrible teams.

I believe he's still capable of being a difference-maker.

If you look really closely, you can almost see a hockey game going on around Crosby Night in Canada.

"Crosby Crosby Crosby Crosby Malkin best players in the world Crosby Crosby..." *mutes TV*

5 minutes later... *unmute* "Crosby..."

Dear god CBC is terrible. The Penguins are losing 3-0 and Crosby passes to no one in the middle of the ice, and what do they talk about after the whistle? Yep, "Crosby is the best player in the world." 

Do they get paid a set amount every time they say that or something? It's pathetic. They sounded so disappointed when Boston won. I guess they're still sore from that Van/Boston final  ^_^

Archived