s4xon

Hiller and Ramo are both good goalies, but not great.

Ramo will play four outstanding games, and then get completely lit up all of a sudden. This is almost like clockwork.

Hiller is really up and down on an irregular basis, and lets in a few to many softies for my liking, not to mention his strange habit of being 20 feet from his net at the worst possible time.

Yes they've both won us games, but I fee they've both lost us games too. They're good enough for now, and to make a decent playoff run. But I don't think they're a tandem that gets us to the cup final. I think Gillies and Ortio are.

The difficult thing with Hiller and Ramo is that they are both good for about 4 games in a row. They are a great regular season tandem, and Hartley has to figure out what the shelf life is for the next series.

The difficult thing with Hiller and Ramo is that they are both good for about 4 games in a row. They are a great regular season tandem, and Hartley has to figure out what the shelf life is for the next series.

If you see this with both goaltender... maybe it's the "team" which gets 4 games in a row together only to lose the odd 1-2 down the stretch?

Hiller has played probably his best season in recent years and Anaheim put a 10+ game streak together with him in net. So not sure what's the deal with "no more than 4 games in a row". 

Hartley has made a tremendous job in putting the right goaltender in net at the right time. It's hard to argue their value considering that the team made the playoffs together... including Ramo and Hiller. 

If you look at Miller on the other side... he's considered an "elite-goaltender" and yet he's going down the drainage yet again in the playoffs. 

If you see this with both goaltender... maybe it's the "team" which gets 4 games in a row together only to lose the odd 1-2 down the stretch?

Hiller has played probably his best season in recent years and Anaheim put a 10+ game streak together with him in net. So not sure what's the deal with "no more than 4 games in a row". 

Hartley has made a tremendous job in putting the right goaltender in net at the right time. It's hard to argue their value considering that the team made the playoffs together... including Ramo and Hiller. 

If you look at Miller on the other side... he's considered an "elite-goaltender" and yet he's going down the drainage yet again in the playoffs.

If you look back on the season, you see how the goalies both play 3-4 games in a row, only to play a bit of a stinker the next game. Yes, the Flames leave them out to dry somewhat, but both goalies are famous for letting in at least 1-2 softies in those games.

With Hiller, you have to remember why they went with the other two guys. He wasn't getting it done in the playoffs. He has been good for us this year and the playoffs, but it remains to be seen if he can continue.

If you look back on the season, you see how the goalies both play 3-4 games in a row, only to play a bit of a stinker the next game. Yes, the Flames leave them out to dry somewhat, but both goalies are famous for letting in at least 1-2 softies in those games.

With Hiller, you have to remember why they went with the other two guys. He wasn't getting it done in the playoffs. He has been good for us this year and the playoffs, but it remains to be seen if he can continue.

I think I remember he was injured for most of the last part of this season which is why they had gone with 2 rookies. That might explain why he had trouble breaking back into the lineup when he returned to their lineups. Add the diss from the coach....

Year 2 of a rebuild, I don't want our team 'blessed' with an elite goalie.

Had this for hundreds of years with Kipper and it changes the culture of the team, even without intending to.

I like that this team finds itself down 3-4 goals and is forced to create on offense, this is great for future development.

Year 2 of a rebuild, I don't want our team 'blessed' with an elite goalie.

Had this for hundreds of years with Kipper and it changes the culture of the team, even without intending to.

I like that this team finds itself down 3-4 goals and is forced to create on offense, this is great for future development.

I'd rather not be like Edmonton and have the talent up front, but nothing to backstop them. I think our guys have earned an elite goaltender to back them up.

Not sure I like the decision, I get WHY it was decided but I am not convinced that we should be changing the way things worked in the regular season just because it's the playoffs.

Sure Hiller will be playing like he's got something to prove but he's also a goalie that the Sharks are most familiar with.

I just hope that Hartley will have him on a short leash for the start.

I believe in my heart this is a 6 game series but I am completely lost as to deciding who will be the winner but if forced to choose I would give it to the Ducks.  (yes that PAINS me to say it)

The regular season record has them winning 3 to our 2 and one of ours was a shootout win which in the playoffs is a crap shoot so let's call that 3.5 to 1.5  with and we didn't win any on the road which is an obvious requirement here.

They are deeper down the middle and certainly more "truculent" than we are, a team built to take the Kings head on in the playoffs and though we kicked some king checking from behind regular season hockey isn't the same as playoff hockey.  Our only advantages are speed and hard work.  

That being said I can't count the Flames out at all if we can keep from trying to out "tough" them and force them to play our game then I think we have a chance as I honestly don't expect this series to be much of a goalie dual.

Fingers are crossed, if we can get through this series I think we have a legitimate shot at a SCF!   Go Flames!!

Fingers are crossed, if we can get through this series I think we have a legitimate shot at a SCF!   Go Flames!!

I agree - and I felt the same way about the CGY/DET Round 2 in 2004 as I feel about this matchup. That it's going to be tough to win, but if we do, I see us going all the way to the finals.

I like the decision to start Hiller. First of all it's his net to lose and secondly it gets him right back on the horse after falling in game 6 against the Nuckleheads. He'll have great motivation for these games that goes without saying.

Although Ramo did not play poorly I don't think he's the go to guy at the moment. He's just coming back off injury and needs more time to get back in the flow of things in practice.

This is the right call.

Why not give him that vote of confidence ? Ramo came in and pitched hit last game and the results were good.

They were good, not spectacular. Hiller has been unbelievably stellar in net save for Game 6. Who knows, if Hartley had kept in him the game he may still have won. The pull was made to shake up the team, not a true reflection on Hiller. Ramo is coming off injury and still has a bit of rust. He needs more practice time and should be backing up Hiller. Like I said before it's Hiller's net to lose and one shaky start is not indicative of poor play. I expect Hiller to come out and be a wall. It will all boil down to how well the Flames play in front of him.

Did anyone notice Ramo’s fine display of goaltending last evening?  He kept us in the game for as long as he possibly could.  No fault to him in the loss.  The man is unsigned going into next season and has earned a new deal imo.  You don’t let assets like this walk (see Cammilari), you re-sign them and keep your options open.  He is a proven NHL goaltender that could probably be re-signed at a very reasonable cost and term.  The younger guys will have to wait to seize their opportunity just like all the goaltender before them.

Did anyone notice Ramo’s fine display of goaltending last evening?  He kept us in the game for as long as he possibly could.  No fault to him in the loss.  The man is unsigned going into next season and has earned a new deal imo.  You don’t let assets like this walk (see Cammilari), you re-sign them and keep your options open.  He is a proven NHL goaltender that could probably be re-signed at a very reasonable cost and term.  The younger guys will have to wait to seize their opportunity just like all the goaltender before them.

I agree Ramo was excellent Sunday night. I would imagine he gets offered a contract from the Flames, whether or not he wants to become a UFA remains to be seen. However I feel like Ramo was the guy that Hartley trusted down the stretch, until he got hurt in Edmonton. It will be interesting to see what our goalie situation looks like next year.

I said it before, Ramo over Hiller. I would actually like to keep both for next season but I honestly don't think Ortio clears waivers so one of them has to go. Hiller holds more value than Ramo as he has a reasonable contract and you can get something for him. Ramo on the other hand doesn't get you much because he is a UFA. Of the two Ramo is my choice to hang onto.

I said it before, Ramo over Hiller. I would actually like to keep both for next season but I honestly don't think Ortio clears waivers so one of them has to go. Hiller holds more value than Ramo as he has a reasonable contract and you can get something for him. Ramo on the other hand doesn't get you much because he is a UFA. Of the two Ramo is my choice to hang onto.

The only way you let Ramo walk is if you have signed a better free agent or are 100% sure of the replacement.  I have no issue with Hiller/Ramo until we have a better option.  Do you want to let him go to another team and have to play him?  I would rather play against Hiller next season.

Deeds has pointed out the loophole in the waiver at the start of the season (no reason to doubt him), so you have 3 guys competing for two spots (4 if you include Gillies).  Top 2 get the Flames, the others go to Stockton.

I actually think we haven't seen the best of Ramo.  He has gotten better over the year.  He was a late bloomer, if you want.