s4xon

I would be shocked if Ortio wasn't starting tomorrow.

Steinberg thinks it will be Hiller because he can't have a second bad night and will bounce back. He also thinks that Hiller gives us a better chance to win and Ortio might be tired from travel. I don't know how much of that I agree with, but those are his thoughts.

All I can say is that I wish Ramo wasn't injured, because Hiller does not deserve to play after that display tonight. Granted, he was far from the only problem (e.g., our third pairing D once again could not defend their way out of a wet paper bag), but, I mean, yikes -- that was all sorts of ugly.

Steinberg thinks it will be Hiller because he can't have a second bad night and will bounce back. He also thinks that Hiller gives us a better chance to win and Ortio might be tired from travel. I don't know how much of that I agree with, but those are his thoughts.

Hiller hasn't been good for week IMO. His rebound control has been horrendous he's just gotten lucky with certain bounces and the flames playing well in front of him but it's been a while since I would say hiller has played well.

I agree he probably will go again tonight which is too bad but this is turning into Berra last year where Hartley is riding one guy whether or not that guy actually deserves it.

Hopefully it's one of those times where it's beneficial to let your goalie play through a rough patch. The "hot hand" philosophy can sometimes be a bad thing when you yank your goalie after a loss. It can play to a goalies psyche to leave the perception that the goals are his fault.

Did anyone not see that 6th goal coming? The goalie can't do much when the team is getting hemmed in and don't fight tooth and nail to clear the zone. That was a skater's loss for taking a break upon tying it up. The Panther's look like the Flames of the east, that was a hard-working win for them.

Smid and Engelland are a TERRIBLE pairing. Worse, when they are playing poorly more of the burden falls on the Wideman Russell pairing and they are exposed. You can't really split them up because neither can play off the bottom pair.

Either player is fine (barely) on the bottom pairing when with a mobile and competent partner. But they can't play together.

But yes, Hiller was terrible last night as well. He is allowed a bad one once in awhile though. But it's the second of a back to back tonight. Give Ortio the start.

Personally, I was hoping Ortio would get the start last night, and Hiller would play against VAN today.  But after hearing about his "travel adventures" yesterday, I'm surprised Ortio made it to the bench on time for the game.

For the record, I'm not a fan of starting Ortio on National TV against on of our biggest rivals, not for his 1st game up.

If it went well, that would be great, but not great enough to counter the if it goes badly risk.

If it weren't on National tv, I freely admit, I'd feel differently.

Can he play any worse than what we witnessed last night. If this kid is suppose to be a building piece moving forward best he get use to high pressure games early. I say put Ortio in, leave Hiller on the bench, he has not been good the last few games anyway.

We have lost 2 games we should have with him in net anyway. Maybe Orio may create a better spark for the team as well.

Because the team has elevated our expectations, we have elevated expectations. I guess that's not the worst thing in the world.

But the team has to be better than Van in general, not just the goalie. Hiller's our goalie, not an IR call-up.

It's his responsibility to win these games. Not Ortio's, not yet.

I agree whole team was bad last night, however 3 goals from poor tending is unacceptable. It seems he tends to allow some pretty bad goals as of late. My point is the team may be a little sharper knowing the have to protect the house better with a new goalie.

It may only be one game, but imho this changes everything :)

JJ, you are like the sun coming up in the morning. Always expected. :)

Ramo's b2b shutouts didn't change a thing. Both Ramo's and Ortio shutouts were great, but getting past being a backup or a callup requires a lot more. And they need to win more than one of one. They need to go 4/7 at least to be considered consistent.

I hope Joni has turned the corner this year. It would be nice to rely less on Hiller. I am sure Hiller is probably looking at the kid as competition (oh no, another 3 goalie situation).

Both Ramo's and Ortio shutouts were great, but getting past being a backup or a callup requires a lot more.

Not sure Ramo has anything to do with last night's game, but:

Ramo quite frankly hasn't been very good, in NHL, period.  Some flashes of brilliance diluted in an ocean of inconsistency.

On one hand, Ortio's performance was only one game.  

On the other hand, it is consistent with his play since October, and his overall development curve.

I think we need to decide something:

With Ramo, he'll have a bad stretch of games as a 29 year old.  We'll say:   He need to play more and he'll get better.

With Ortio, he now has 10 NHL games under his belt, has beat out most of our regulars in those games, and has shown steady improvement (including this recent shutout).

Our response to the shutout cannot be "it was just one game".

Ortio's been a full time goaltender in our system for a long time now, and last night's performance should not come as a shock.  It wasn't just one game.

The question is:   If we really believe that the poor play of a 29 year old Ramo will improve if we just keep throwing games at him...

What will happen if we throw those games at a 23 year old who's already playing better than him?

Just wondering....

Anyway, it's really not about Ramo.   It's about Hiller and Ortio.