s4xon

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

You're right, I should have posted earlier with even less data  ;).    totally explains why they've sat their youngest and best performing goalie last year (Schneider).  

It's simple math really, when your youngest player is also your best player it's Always best to bury them with older offshore signings that aren't half as good.

It was just for fun I have my opinion and I've made it known on here.  We're 7 games in to a 4-goalie circus, we know it doesn't mean much but when you have that many goalies it's hard not to look totally ridiculous, the only reason it's not catastrophic is because of those injuries.  

"It's early days...our 4-goalie system will look much better at the halfway mark"

Zag had the following games:

@COL Win 28/30 saves

@COL Win 31/33 saves

SD Win 21/24 saves

BAK Loss 7/11 saves

@BAK Win 24/27 saves

That's pretty good numbers considering we have no great D in Stockton.

What I find funny is you always go one about undrafted goalies, yet we do that and you get possy about him playing.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I'm more about undrafted prospects than just undrafted men who play goalie

Is an undrafted propect goalie that you need to develop for years and hope they make it over to NA and into the NHL worth more than one who has developed playing against men.  If I'm not mistaken, Rittich came over at the same age.

Developing goalies isn;t just about finding the perfect drafted or undrafted 18 year old.

And spending the next 3-6 years watching (with zero control over him) and developing him once he's in the NHL.

It's also about having goalies sooner than later.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Is an undrafted propect goalie that you need to develop for years and hope they make it over to NA and into the NHL worth more than one who has developed playing against men.  If I'm not mistaken, Rittich came over at the same age.

Developing goalies isn;t just about finding the perfect drafted or undrafted 18 year old.

And spending the next 3-6 years watching (with zero control over him) and developing him once he's in the NHL.

It's also about having goalies sooner than later.

I did not know that having Rittich with mediocre NHL goaltending or less was considered a success.    

But I fear you are right and this is exactly how management is thinking right now.

15 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Well, and with the way they bury prospects I'm not expecting to get much more ;)

Schneider had the best numbers all last year too

After one game each, Schneider has a SV% of .938, and Gillies has .958...   So by your logic, Gillies should be in the net for the Flames?...

I like how Rittich was happy for him after the win too. It’s good to see and I think he has been in that role so much that I think splitting the games isn’t going to be a problem. Not like it was an undercurrent with Smith.

I find it weird that we are getting mad at goaltending when in the games Rittich got lit up it was more from the team play. Goalies have bad games too. It sounds like Talbot has a bad game. The LA game Rittich had a few horrible bounces against him and the team didn’t show. I like Talbot and I think once the ya ram figures consistency out, the goaltending will be fine. And like I said earlier, I don’t necessarily think we need Rittich to be the bonafide #1 as he is quite used to platooning in net. he is a team guy.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Carty said:

After one game each, Schneider has a SV% of .938, and Gillies has .958...   So by your logic, Gillies should be in the net for the Flames?...

For the Flames?   If he were developed properly there's a good chance he would be there now yes.   Certainly less talented than him have made the jump at his age.   Whether that can happen now is difficult to tell.

I'm saying Zagidulin should not be there at all.  And if the Flames Really were that high on him then they should have made some trades rather then just ruining the development and value of all their prospects.

I'm saying their best performer over this season and last season (Nick Schneider) probably shouldn't have been shipped off to the ECHL as he is also the youngest and the one with the most potential.    But I'm assuming the Flames looked at his height and will bury him based on that unless he forces this issue with shutout after shutout after shutout.  

the message they're sending him is "it doesn't matter how you perform we'll keep demoting you and fill your spots with older taller goalies who are worse".

I don't see how anyone here can see it any other way, it is quite ridiculous and the very least they could have done is loaned him to another AHL team that would have Gladly taken him.  It's sloppy, it's lazy, it's disrespectful.

If there is a way the Flames can find to ensure the absolute lowest quality of goalie development, they Always find it.     It's been going on for years and it's amazing that anyone even defends them anymore, we all know it's an issue.  The choices are whether to be honest about it or not.

59 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I'm saying their best performer over this season and last season (Nick Schneider) probably shouldn't have been shipped off to the ECHL

and I'm saying that your own post says Gillies has been the best performer so far this season...

19 hours ago, jjgallow said:

jO2uvvF.png

and so does the Heat's page...

81d495729da21a8a928ec336d9886287.png

Nothing against Schnieder, as I happen to think that he has some good potential...   Just pointing out that your current argument lacks credibility...

33 minutes ago, Carty said:

and I'm saying that your own post says Gillies has been the best performer so far this season...

and so does the Heat's page...

81d495729da21a8a928ec336d9886287.png

Nothing against Schnieder, as I happen to think that he has some good potential...   Just pointing out that your current argument lacks credibility...

If you cut the part out out about "and last season", yes it would.     Just like yours does the way I bolded it above ;)

10 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

If you cut the part out out about "and last season", yes it would.     Just like yours does the way I bolded it above ;)

So, Schneider had a stretch of 11 games in the AHL where he was "good".  6-3 record.

The rest of the year in the ECHL he was "bad".

One game he played here was "good".

Gillies had 45 games last year in the AHL and was "bad" then became "good" at the end.

This year Gillies has been healthy for one game and was "good".

Gillies, by the way, can't be sent to the ECHL.

So, you have three choices to send there.

Parson, currently injured.

Zag, who is actually putting up decent stats.

Schneider, who has had one start.

11 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

You are the one that said Schneider was the best performer this season...   It is a direct quote...   Not a selection of random words like you mangled...

Sometimes you are just plain full of Satoshi Nakamoto jj...   and you just proved that beyond a shadow of doubt...   :lol:

How about next time you just own up to your own words like a man, and not try and misquote someone like a jackass...   ;)

5 minutes ago, Carty said:

You are the one that said Schneider was the best performer this season...   It is a direct quote...   Not a selection of random words like you mangled...

Sometimes you are just plain full of Satoshi Nakamoto jj...   and you just proved that beyond a shadow of doubt...   :lol:

How about next time you just own up to your own words like a man, and not try and misquote someone like a jackass...   ;)

Easy I was just joking.   We all know what 1 game means, that's not what I said or meant.   No harm intended.

21 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Zag had the following games:

@COL Win 28/30 saves

@COL Win 31/33 saves

SD Win 21/24 saves

BAK Loss 7/11 saves

@BAK Win 24/27 saves

That's pretty good numbers considering we have no great D in Stockton.

What I find funny is you always go one about undrafted goalies, yet we do that and you get possy about him playing.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Wat.   

4-1 is bad?

Somehow, the Heat are in 2nd in the West.

6 games in, Zag has won 4 of them.

Schneider played part of a game after Zag crapped the bed in the 1st.  

That's some impressive goaltending out of him, after the other team had built up a huge lead.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

4-1 is bad?

Somehow, the Heat are in 2nd in the West.

6 games in, Zag has won 4 of them.

Schneider played part of a game after Zag crapped the bed in the 1st.  

That's some impressive goaltending out of him, after the other team had built up a huge lead.

It seems to be quite bad, yes.   Flames had a 21-year old with a 6-3 record that also actually stopped pucks, and they're burying him for it.

so now he's showing that same level of play in 2 different leagues this year.

Winning games is the most important stat for a goalie IF they're stopping the puck.  If not, can one .. Really take credit for it?

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

It seems to be quite bad, yes.   Flames had a 21-year old with a 6-3 record that also actually stopped pucks, and they're burying him for it.

so now he's showing that same level of play in 2 different leagues this year.

Winning games is the most important stat for a goalie IF they're stopping the puck.  If not, can one .. Really take credit for it?

I don;t really understand your argument.

A guy that plays 2 games in the ECHL this year and 1 game in the AHL is a stud?

He was poor in the ECHL last year and had a good record in the AHL last year.

Since I only followed the Heat in game reviews and blogs, I have to ask a question.

He played 11 games and 465 minutes.

Did he not play 11 games?

Only works out to 7+ games and his record is 6-3.

Did he play relief in some of those games?

Compare him to a guy who had a good record in the KHL last season.

Was he gifted by playing on a team that could not be scored on?

Write him off if you like because he's old.

Schneider's trajectory is ECHL or AHL.

• 2 weeks later...

My MVP for October. David Rittich. He's not only really good, he's fun. A goalie with a personality. Could this be a trend?

He has me convinced that you can spot a good goalie and it's not, "goalies are a mystery". He had the fundamentals down pat when he got here. The rest is just fine tuning.

When you're always where you're supposed to be to make the save, you aren't going to get lit up very often. And unlike Smith, it's not like riding a rollercoaster.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

My MVP for October. David Rittich. He's not only really good, he's fun. A goalie with a personality. Could this be a trend?

He has me convinced that you can spot a good goalie and it's not, "goalies are a mystery". He had the fundamentals down pat when he got here. The rest is just fine tuning.

When you're always where you're supposed to be to make the save, you aren't going to get lit up very often. And unlike Smith, it's not like riding a rollercoaster.

props to you on that one. You’ve been a supporter since day 1 and helped change my mind on him. 
he’s such a great fit for this team. He’s got me convinced the Flames have found something. 

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

props to you on that one. You’ve been a supporter since day 1 and helped change my mind on him. 
he’s such a great fit for this team. He’s got me convinced the Flames have found something. 

I also wonder if he can be a workhorse. He reminds me of my fave goalie, Rinne. 3rd last pick in 04. 11 year vet as a starter. Happy Birthday Pekka, 37 today. And going strong. Boy when you're really good fundamentally, like Rinne and Rittich, I think that's a long shelf life. But boy, if this is Rittich every day, which I think it is, he's going to get paid after next year. Wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm not upset but I am surprised given the break. But they do need to give Talbot starts

Especially since there is another two days off after tonight and then a back to back this weekend.

I agree they need to start working Talbot into the rotation more, and perhaps now that the team in front of him is playing better, we will see more Talbot going forward.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Especially since there is another two days off after tonight and then a back to back this weekend.

I agree they need to start working Talbot into the rotation more, and perhaps now that the team in front of him is playing better, we will see more Talbot going forward.

I think they looked at the schedule and figure they would get Talbot two in a row, and let Rittich clean up in game 2 of the B2B.

Talbot has gotten the 2nd game too often.

He needs to build some confidence and part of that is having a fresh team in front.