s4xon

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I like it. I think he’s a goalie that got worn down and can bounce back. Thems are a lot of shots he took. Plus he’d take a third to half the load of play. 

I think more years couldve been a steal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I like it. I think he’s a goalie that got worn down and can bounce back. Thems are a lot of shots he took. Plus he’d take a third to half the load of play. 

I think more years couldve been a steal.

I think he will be really motivated and will push Rittich to be the starter. I could see it going either way. I always thought Talbot was good even when he was an Oiler..

7 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Smith will probably play a minimal role seeing as Kos is making 4.5 and I don't think Smith will make more than 2 - 2.5.

He's supposedly getting bonuses of 2 to go with his 2-2.5m

With Gully and Tippett, Koskinen will be lucky to get 40 games in.

You know the bonuses are tied to playoffs and game played.

It’s an interesting conundrum as Smitty knows our team intimately and our guys know Smitty and his pick handling habits etc. If it is Talbot coming back our way we do get the younger and fresher goalie. Smitty will get injured for sure playing behind such a weak D in Edmonton, one that doesn’t even have Sekera now. 

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

What I had heard about Mrazek was they offerd him a deal and he balked.

He will get starter money, I just don;t see CAR being the one to get him signed now.

They had all spring to do it.

Between Trade, retirement, and a supposed buyout, the cats are going to be goalie shopping now. Mrazek or Lehner?

Just now, rickross said:

It’s an interesting conundrum as Smitty knows our team intimately and our guys know Smitty and his pick handling habits etc. If it is Talbot coming back our way we do get the younger and fresher goalie. Smitty will get injured for sure playing behind such a weak D in Edmonton, one that doesn’t even have Sekera now. 

I find it odd that they went for him.

Two goalies with weak gloves.

One plays the puck well.

Smitty knows about our team, but he's never faced us in a game in recent years.

Practices don;t count.

There is some thought that he will face more shots and he's better when he does that.

The dressing room will be an interesting place with him there.

Telling off McDavid and Looch.

Telling Russell to get out of the f'in way.

Giving the D heck for a goal scored on him.

Imagine a 6 goal beatdown and what happens in the room.

On the other hand, he could be what they need.  They lack accountability.

In this year's playoffs, there was only one player I can think of who didn't underperform.

And we just sent him to the Oilers for free, while maintaining our tradition of recycling goalies over 30.

So, effectively now, we have Zero players who showed up in the playoffs.  And, we managed to do that while staying old.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

In this year's playoffs, there was only one player I can think of who didn't underperform.

And we just sent him to the Oilers for free, while maintaining our tradition of recycling goalies over 30.

So, effectively now, we have Zero players who showed up in the playoffs.  And, we managed to do that while staying old.

I disagree, Bennett, Mange, Ryan to some extent, and Valamaki came to play. But they couldn’t make a difference. Bennett moresp than most. But the fact they were the only ones made it nearly impossible, yet still managed to neatly win more games. I guess that’s where Smith came in. 

But he showed to me that hat no matter how good our goaltending was that if the players don’t show up then they’re hooped. 

I think we need to get tougher to play against. Skill isn’t enough.

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

For all his heroics, he won exactly one game.

And that was one where their goaie let in softies.

Obviously, he's not the reason we lost to COL, but he didn't steal any games.

Let's not lose sight that we need a backup to Rittich.  This may not be the right solution, but it is one possible one.

We've obviously talked to the other names available as UFA's.

And we've been down the trade assets for a lesser product road.

I still think they need a backup backup plan.

Gillies isn;t it.

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I disagree, Bennett, Mange, Ryan to some extent, and Valamaki came to play. But they couldn’t make a difference. Bennett moresp than most. But the fact they were the only ones made it nearly impossible, yet still managed to neatly win more games. I guess that’s where Smith came in. 

But he showed to me that hat no matter how good our goaltending was that if the players don’t show up then they’re hooped. 

I think we need to get tougher to play against. Skill isn’t enough.

Came to play or played more than scared to lose.

Gio was the biggest disappointment for me.

I can understand the struggles of some guys, since it started before the playoffs,

Gio was in top form.

They let COL distate the game and didn;t take it back from them.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

For all his heroics, he won exactly one game.

And that was one where their goaie let in softies.

Obviously, he's not the reason we lost to COL, but he didn't steal any games.

Let's not lose sight that we need a backup to Rittich.  This may not be the right solution, but it is one possible one.

We've obviously talked to the other names available as UFA's.

And we've been down the trade assets for a lesser product road.

I still think they need a backup backup plan.

Gillies isn;t it.

I agree that it’s good that we aren’t trading assets this time for the stopgap. But it still doesn’t solve the problem, buying a year for new solutions that aren’t quite there right now. 

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Came to play or played more than scared to lose.

Gio was the biggest disappointment for me.

I can understand the struggles of some guys, since it started before the playoffs,

Gio was in top form.

They let COL distate the game and didn;t take it back from them.

I agree. Gio hadn’t had very many playoff games to his resume prior to last season either. So some don’t agree that the team was in awe of the stage. I don’t get it, but think that was the case because they just watched the Avs skate around them. But I feel they do that with certain skilled players, afraid to get beat.... 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I agree that it’s good that we aren’t trading assets this time for the stopgap. But it still doesn’t solve the problem, buying a year for new solutions that aren’t quite there right now. 

This camp will be make or break for Gillies, with the russian kid coming in and the possibility of being passed by one of the underlings. If Talbot signs for 1 year it at least gives the rest a good reason to believe their opportunity is now. The team will also need to know whos ready to move up in case of injury.

21 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

This camp will be make or break for Gillies, with the russian kid coming in and the possibility of being passed by one of the underlings. If Talbot signs for 1 year it at least gives the rest a good reason to believe their opportunity is now. The team will also need to know whos ready to move up in case of injury.

I hate to say it, but it's very possible that once Gillies is sent to the AHL, the Russian may the first injury call up.

Gillies is subject to waivers this year.

He won't be called up for injury replacement anytime after the start of November.

You know they would like to get a read on Parsons and Zagidulin, depending on how they look this fall.

You are right.  Gillies is in make or break land.

Pity he didn;t have any games this last year.

Blame the coach, goalie coach and GM for that.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I hate to say it, but it's very possible that once Gillies is sent to the AHL, the Russian may the first injury call up.

He won't be called up for injury replacement anytime after the start of November.

You know they would like to get a read on Parsons and Zagidulin, depending on how they look this fall.

Or maybe the blame lays with him for not pushing to make them give him games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The fact he didn't get called when it's known both Smith and BSD were playing hurt at some point in the season kinda says it something doesn't it? If there had been a substantial injury to either after the TDL I cant imagine how that would have went.

6 minutes ago, FueltheFlames1075 said:

Or maybe the blame lays with him for not pushing to make them give him games.

Look, I'm just saying they didn;t play him a single game and chose to start Smith B2B against BOS.

One of those games should have been Gillies no matter how bad he was in the AHL.

What was the point of calling him up.