s4xon

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I didn't think Lack was great. End of the day he gave you a chance to win which is what your want your backup to do but I thought he was out of position on the 3rd and 4th goals and at least one or both should have been stopped. 

But again, backup and first start of the year he gave them a chance to win. 

We've seen this chain of events before.

Get an early lead.

Other teams scores 3 in a row, one being impossible to stop.

Team gets back in with a goal.

Other team deflates the bubble with a goal.

Three of four were stoppable.  If you are screened, then you shouldn't be past the post lookin'.  Too much open net.

He's not the worst I have seen.  And he's not the reason for the loss.  But he didn't doo enough to win it.  I wouldn't go back to him in the next game, but that's just me.  Dallas will be tired, but not enough to risk by playing your #2 guy.  Not at this pont. 

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We've seen this chain of events before.

Get an early lead.

Other teams scores 3 in a row, one being impossible to stop.

Team gets back in with a goal.

Other team deflates the bubble with a goal.

Three of four were stoppable.  If you are screened, then you shouldn't be past the post lookin'.  Too much open net.

He's not the worst I have seen.  And he's not the reason for the loss.  But he didn't doo enough to win it.  I wouldn't go back to him in the next game, but that's just me.  Dallas will be tired, but not enough to risk by playing your #2 guy.  Not at this pont. 

I disagree, 3 of those goals were great shots, give the other team some credit. We also had our chances and didn't capitalize. I agree with cross, Lack could have been better but 1st game action he hung us in there enough to win that game.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I disagree, 3 of those goals were great shots, give the other team some credit. We also had our chances and didn't capitalize. I agree with cross, Lack could have been better but 1st game action he hung us in there enough to win that game.

On the "screen" shot, he was cheating away from the right side post.  1/3 of the net was open.  The angle of the shot made it look like a perfect shot.  On the Gio blocked shot turned Statsny shot, he gave up the top 1/4 of the net blocker side.   On the other two, he either had no chance or he was giving up too much of the far side.  Fairly deep in nets on both.

All of them were great shots.  We lost to the better team.  I'm not really sure how Lack kept us in the game after we were down 3-1 early in the 2nd period.  Yes, he gave us some big saves, but a team in the 2nd night of a B2B needs it closer than that to have any chance of a comeback.  I liked what I saw and I hated what I saw.  Very much like having Elliott in there.  

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

On the "screen" shot, he was cheating away from the right side post.  1/3 of the net was open.  The angle of the shot made it look like a perfect shot.  On the Gio blocked shot turned Statsny shot, he gave up the top 1/4 of the net blocker side.   On the other two, he either had no chance or he was giving up too much of the far side.  Fairly deep in nets on both.

All of them were great shots.  We lost to the better team.  I'm not really sure how Lack kept us in the game after we were down 3-1 early in the 2nd period.  Yes, he gave us some big saves, but a team in the 2nd night of a B2B needs it closer than that to have any chance of a comeback.  I liked what I saw and I hated what I saw.  Very much like having Elliott in there.  

Well looking at the chances not buried by our players as the opportunities presented themselves can alter games. Like Gaudreau scoring on his break away.

You are way to picky, I think they should put you in net so you know what top shelf goals feels like. Like we said 1st game out I think he did a good job.

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Well looking at the chances not buried by our players as the opportunities presented themselves can alter games. Like Gaudreau scoring on his break away.

You are way to picky, I think they should put you in net so you know what top shelf goals feels like. Like we said 1st game out I think he did a good job.

Well this is all about goaltending, picky or not.

I'm glad you feel you speak for the majority here.   

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well this is all about goaltending, picky or not.

I'm glad you feel you speak for the majority here.   

No I just agreed with cross's take and also the fact that our own players have to start scoring and hitting which can change the game in our favor. We are giving up to many quality scoring chances to the opposition.

23 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

No I just agreed with cross's take and also the fact that our own players have to start scoring and hitting which can change the game in our favor. We are giving up to many quality scoring chances to the opposition.

Of course they have to start scoring more.  Then again, digging a hole by being behind by 2 goals makes that more difficult.  Teams start clogging the neutral zone, a tired team has to score two just to tie, it all adds up.  Lack kept them in the game in the first period.  He stops the first goal and we have a lead going into the break.  

Period   Shots               Scoring Chances   Scoring

1            12-9 Flames    7-7                        1-1

2            9-7 Blues         10-4 CGY              2-1 Blues

3            11-6 Blues        7-3 Blues              2-0 Blues

Arguably, the first and third were Lack's best periods, but the 2nd period undid that effort.  

44 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Of course they have to start scoring more.  Then again, digging a hole by being behind by 2 goals makes that more difficult.  Teams start clogging the neutral zone, a tired team has to score two just to tie, it all adds up.  Lack kept them in the game in the first period.  He stops the first goal and we have a lead going into the break.  

Period   Shots               Scoring Chances   Scoring

1            12-9 Flames    7-7                        1-1

2            9-7 Blues         10-4 CGY              2-1 Blues

3            11-6 Blues        7-3 Blues              2-0 Blues

Arguably, the first and third were Lack's best periods, but the 2nd period undid that effort.  

We need to be better yet in a few areas

A goaltender gives you a chance to win when he allows < 2.5 goals/gm.  Lack gave up 4 yesterday, so no, he did not give us a chance to win.  Can Lack be better?  I’m not sure, but hope so.

Lack was good but not great.  You need to be great to win in this league.  Smith has been providing great goaltending to date and we are a 0.500 team, which goes to show you where we are at as a team.  Take a look at poor ARI minus old man Smith. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Tyler Parsons is nailing it so far.   Aside from one stinker (his 2nd game in the league ever) he's been rocking the ECHL.   If he keeps it up I think we can soon call him officially graduated to a pro prospect.

https://www.echl.com/stats/player/7233/44/tyler-parsons

Except for the fact that he left in the 1st period of that last game, injured.  Don't know the extent.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Cue JJ.

Just kidding.  I hope expect he continues doing well down there.  He needs to be consistent, like Mangiapane has been.  Keep it up every game for some time.  

You're absolutely right, cue JJ :)

Fixed the one part up there for you :)      Consistency is preferred, but not in the same way that Lack's been consistent.

To me, from a prospect, the peak performances are big signs, and so is the improvement over time.   He's only really had one bad game this year (his 2nd game), and he's given his team a chance to win in all the rest.     But what matters to me more is that he's played a Really big part in winning two of them (the first one, and this most recent).  

He needs more games where he dominates at the AHL level, and the stinkers will be easily forgiven (consistency is of course nice, and will come).   He is getting those games now.    2 out of 6.

He dominated 3 games out of 39 last year, including one shutout.  (his post-surgery year).

Now he's dominated 2 games, and got one shutout, in just his first 6 starts.    Note the rate of improvement.   When you are still seeing that rate of improvement at this stage of a goalie's career, it's a Really good sign.

https://theahl.com/stats/player/6064

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

You're absolutely right, cue JJ :)

Fixed the one part up there for you :)      Consistency is preferred, but not in the same way that Lack's been consistent.

To me, from a prospect, the peak performances are big signs, and so is the improvement over time.   He's only really had one bad game this year (his 2nd game), and he's given his team a chance to win in all the rest.     But what matters to me more is that he's played a Really big part in winning two of them (the first one, and this most recent).  

He needs more games where he dominates at the AHL level, and the stinkers will be easily forgiven (consistency is of course nice, and will come).   He is getting those games now.    2 out of 6.

He dominated 3 games out of 39 last year, including one shutout.  (his post-surgery year).

Now he's dominated 2 games, and got one shutout, in just his first 6 starts.    Note the rate of improvement.   When you are still seeing that rate of improvement at this stage of a goalie's career, it's a Really good sign.

https://theahl.com/stats/player/6064

I find it funny that Lack is even on this team.  Lack of better options?  AT this point many goalies are looking like trash.  At least the early returns on Smith are good.

Gillies needs to keep this up.  2 game is nice, but is not a good sign, until 2 becomes 10 and 10 becomes 20.  I like the way he's starting, but oh boy its going to be a long year.    

On 10/28/2017 at 10:03 AM, travel_dude said:

I find it funny that Lack is even on this team.  Lack of better options?  AT this point many goalies are looking like trash.  At least the early returns on Smith are good.

Gillies needs to keep this up.  2 game is nice, but is not a good sign, until 2 becomes 10 and 10 becomes 20.  I like the way he's starting, but oh boy its going to be a long year.    

I wasn't disappointed with Lack's one start so far .. they played him against a good team and he certainly didn't lose it for us . Im hoping for a point where he gets the weaker teams so he can get a bit more work..  its great to ride Smith but we've learned the hard way in the past no matter how good the goalie , 70 starts does not usually bode well for a deep playoff run 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I wasn't disappointed with Lack's one start so far .. they played him against a good team and he certainly didn't lose it for us . Im hoping for a point where he gets the weaker teams so he can get a bit more work..  its great to ride Smith but we've learned the hard way in the past no matter how good the goalie , 70 starts does not usually bode well for a deep playoff run 

When we made the trade, it was for a project.  His results were anything but bottom 1/3 of the league for GA and SV%.  That's what I was saying about better options.  It doesn't matter how good you think he looked, giving up 4 goals is not a good result.

I think we should have played him in the Nashville game, since the team as a whole looked bad against STL.  Play him when the team is fresh.  Right now the best opportunity to play Lack would be against VAN, since Smith only is idle for 3 days.  Playing Lack before or after that game puts Smith out of game action for too many days.  He has to play regularly to stay fresh.

I have to say that I was pretty optimistic when we traded for Smith this summer because he's a starting goaltender, saw a lot of rubber in Phoenix, and I thought he had the potential to be even better behind our team. 

What I didn't expect was how good he's been for us - despite our team play at times so far this season. 

Kudos to you Mike Smith, and thank you for letting us all complain about other positions and players so far this year! :D

• Like 1

32 save shutout for Rittich tonight. Gotta think the Heat have the best tandem in the AHL

As of right now;

Rittich 2.01 GAA .936 SV%

Gillies 2.42 GAA .920 SV% - Gillies has started more games

KC

Parsons 4.69 GAA .870 SV%

McDonald 2.82 GAA .910 SV% 

Parsons has started the majority of games so far which is good, obviously still adjusting to the pro game which at 20 years old is perfectly fine IMO. Good to see McDonald playing well to start the year,

WHL

Schneider (overage) 3.13 GAA .901 SV%

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2017 at 10:53 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

KC

Parsons 4.69 GAA .870 SV%

McDonald 2.82 GAA .910 SV% 

Parsons has started the majority of games so far which is good, obviously still adjusting to the pro game which at 20 years old is perfectly fine IMO. Good to see McDonald playing well to start the year,

I am thinking KC is not very good. I'm probably going to see a KC game sometime in December, so maybe I can give some insight.

New numbers

Tyler Parsons - Goaltender

2-4-0 with a 4.69 GAA and a .870 save percentage

Mason McDonald - Goaltender

2-2-0 with a 3.66 GAA and a .872 save percentage

Was at the game tonight, not completely sold on Lack. I know he was pushed into a tough spot against a good blues team, but every shot I felt nervous. But I gotta give him credit, he made a big toe save and ended up getting the win.

The question is how serious is Smith hurt and is it Gillies or Rittich that gets the call-up?