s4xon

It's not just a 35th pick, 

It's also a conditional 3rd in 2018 according to Friedman

@@FriedgeHNIC

Doesn't  make it worse! I like that it's a 2018 pick as we have two 4th round picks in that draft from the Hudler trade if I remember correctly.

The condition is met, if we re-sign Elliott.

GeneralFanager says condition on Elliot Re-signing before current contract expires.

Which kinda begs the question, if we only get him for 1 year, do we still make a play at either Bishop or Fleury?

I think that's another aspect that makes this trade great. If Elliot is good but not quite what they want they still have options and really arnt out that much. I do think they want him long term but that's not a bad fall back plan of it got there.

GeneralFanager says condition on Elliot Re-signing before current contract expires.

Which kinda begs the question, if we only get him for 1 year, do we still make a play at either Bishop or Fleury?

This is can't lose..only a 2.5 cap hit, all options remain open going forward.

I think that's another aspect that makes this trade great. If Elliot is good but not quite what they want they still have options and really arnt out that much. I do think they want him long term but that's not a bad fall back plan of it got there.

With the Elliott acquisition there is no immediate need for another goalie, and with his cap hit we are solving another problem.  

This is a great fit for Calgary.

The cost to acquire was fairly low, his salary is Cap friendly, and his stats have been quite good the last 3 seasons.

Montoya or Hutton might make a good backup.

I'd prefer a guy like Jonas Enroth, who played a few 40+ games seasons.

ups got that wrong, only had one 40game season, but still prefer him

Thing is manu none of that is out of the picture cause next year with expansion draft teams are pressured alot more then they are right now so calgary can position them self better if this doesnt work

my bad, I was actually refering to a potential backup

The best thing I can say about the Elliot trade (and the Tkachuk pick) is it feels right. You can discuss these things to death before they happen, but some just seem to fit.

I do winder is this is the end of Ortio though. Elliot hasn't carried a heavy workload so the Flames may go out and get someone they are more comfortable playing 30 games or so. I don't know if they trust Ortio that much.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up someone like Kuemper tomorrow or tonight.

Very interesting to see what happens with Ortio. Personally I feel give him a one year deal to be backup and if neither he nor Elliott play well next year then you go after a Fleury or another goalie and protect them from the expansion draft and let Elliott and Ortio go. Pretty smart plan I believe. Will the haters give credit to Burke for this or is this Treliving's doing? Lol. I wanted Reimer for one year but this is even better.

When the flames made the Hamilton trade last year there was a small bit of buyers remorse when Matt Barzal fell to 15. Nice thing for me this year is that isn't happening. While there will be some decent prospects there at 35 no one that would have been a slam dunk it is falling. I don't think the flame will regret moving they pick at all.

With the Elliott acquisition there is no immediate need for another goalie, and with his cap hit we are solving another problem.  

Yes there is. We need 1 of the best backups available.

He usually starts less than 50 % of the games so we might need a 1A/1B situation where the other 1/2 is proven as well (that means Ortio doesn't fit the bill).

But his cap hit allows us to sign/trade for a former starter to carry the rest of the load. His heaviest load was 48 games & his #s dropped.

If you have a starter capable of 50ish or more games without burning out all you need is a trustworthy backup. But when the backup plays 1/2 the games the starter is that in name only.

This might be the spot we tell Reimer that #1 is his if he earns it but we won't pay him more than the 2.5 x 1 to keep the ice equal. The 1 that does best gets a bigger contract as undisputed #1 & the other might/might not be re-signed.

Has Elliotte played less games due to not being able to handle it, or has it been due perception? Or is it all part of it?

Yes there is. We need 1 of the best backups available.

He usually starts less than 50 % of the games so we might need a 1A/1B situation where the other 1/2 is proven as well (that means Ortio doesn't fit the bill).

But his cap hit allows us to sign/trade for a former starter to carry the rest of the load. His heaviest load was 48 games & his #s dropped.

If you have a starter capable of 50ish or more games without burning out all you need is a trustworthy backup. But when the backup plays 1/2 the games the starter is that in name only.

This might be the spot we tell Reimer that #1 is his if he earns it but we won't pay him more than the 2.5 x 1 to keep the ice equal. The 1 that does best gets a bigger contract as undisputed #1 & the other might/might not be re-signed.

I see Elliotte as having something to prove and he always has had to. Maybe he can handle a starter's load?

He is one of the hardest working guys in the biz, you'd think he would have the cardio for it, but would he have the mentality to?

Has Elliotte played less games due to not being able to handle it, or has it been due perception? Or is it all part of it?

I see Elliotte as having something to prove and he always has had to. Maybe he can handle a starter's load?

He is one of the hardest working guys in the biz, you'd think he would have the cardio for it, but would he have the mentality to?

Could probably get Reimer for a decent contract.