s4xon

I can totally see it ..TO already has the top prize and their goalie cupboard is more bare than ours.. but Im ok with that , I actually want the Finn Veini Vehvilainen.. call me bias , but the Finns are a Goalie factory . and the last few high end Swedes have not really impressed me .

I think we may even be able to use one of our later 2nds to get him 

Is this the goalie who played for the Finn's yesterday ?

Fleury looked a little shaky last night with a .840 SV%...

Still have to wonder about playoff jitters...

If they don't switch back to Murray, they don't deserve to win imho.

MAF played 10x worse than what got Murray punted to begin with (which never should have happened)

If they don't switch back to Murray, they don't deserve to win imho.

MAF played 10x worse than what got Murray punted to begin with (which never should have happened)

It's like a rainbow of Penguins colours shining out of that post,

Eeeeew.

Who cares who starts? Goodnite now!!!!

While every analyst was crowning their heroes, bwahaha. Oops.

West vs it isn't going to matter.

That seems to be where some mock drafts put him.  Toronto needs less draft picks and more NHL players unless they want to follow the Oilers or BJ's method of competing in the NHL.  

I dunno, Florida did it with a lot of draft picks and some shrewd drafting and turned it around fast with Dave Tallon. 

I dunno, Florida did it with a lot of draft picks and some shrewd drafting and turned it around fast with Dave Tallon. 

Any rebuild in TOR will be interesting to observe if only to see if they have the patience. Like us they have some over-paid contracts to clear out but a few of those players can provide some needed leadership.

Didn't the Panthers miss the playoffs for 10 straight seasons?  During that time they did the Oilers thing and stockpiled young talent.  So when Tallon was hired before the 2010 season he had some decent pieces to work with.  Then Luongo essentially demanded a trade back to the Panthers which immediately elevated the team from perennial loser to knocking on the door.  Even so, this was his 5th full season with the team.  In that time his teams have made the playoffs twice and missed three times.  He's had some good drafts and made some decent signings but I'm not comfortable calling it a fast turnaround.

But...this does go to show the importance of goaltending, at least in the regular season.  A top goalie can steal games and make a team look a lot better than it actually is.  However, in the playoffs most goalies tend to perform fairly well so it's a wash in terms of competitive advantage. 

If there's any conclusion to draw from this I'd say it's the following:

Get a competant, reliable goalie and backup but don't spend too much on them.

I'll throw another name out there for another goalie that I think might go on the trading block...   Bobrovsky...

I can see the Jackets going with Korpisalo...   This season he had a better win/loss record, GAA and SV%...

Korpisalo

6a59082c73c4513f8f07f261132602b0.png

49e455bac8721e08042e689fae036bb7.png

Bobrovsky

73c1c02bf9e2606d6835a71df16d8c6e.png

and Korpisalo is way cheaper for another season with a cap hit of $742,4K compared to Bobrovsky with 3 more seasons and a cap hit of $7.425 Mil...

Bobrovsky just had a good showing at the World Championship with some great stats to show for it...

2eb2558b0696ad03a06db4a03cbc5e16.png

Bobrovsky is not at the top of my list of goalies I would like to see as a Flame, but depending on who is available and at what cost, I could see Treliving making a trade if he could unload enough salary going back the other way, and Columbus might be a prime candidate for that kind of trade if they decide to go with Korpisalo...

He is only 27, and as we all know won the Vezina 3 years ago...   There is no question that he would be a significant upgrade in net for the Flames...

Just throwing his name into the hat as a potential candidate if he is put on the block and the Jackets were willing to take the right player(s) and salary back in trade (we all know who they are) and it would have to be a significant amount of dollars going back to Columbus...

I actually don't mind the idea of Bob to be honest. When healthy he is still a very decent goalie with the ability to steal games. I think the World Championships showed that when Healthy he's great, but staying healthy has been a bit of a concern for him. Do I think he is a Veznia calibre goalie, no but he's not that far behind.. again when healthy.

But they would need to either eat money or the Flames send them Stajan, I would not do the deal any other way. There is no other contract I would want to send other than Stajan so if they balk at that i'm not interested. however, if they were willing to take Stajan I think the Flames could actually fill 2 needs in 1. 

they would need to either eat money or the Flames send them Stajan, I would not do the deal any other way. There is no other contract I would want to send other than Stajan so if they balk at that i'm not interested. however, if they were willing to take Stajan I think the Flames could actually fill 2 needs in 1. 

Losing Stajan's salary ($3.125 Mil for 2 years) would drop Bob's cap hit to an equivalent of $5,341,667 for 3 years...

I actually don't mind the idea of Bob to be honest. When healthy he is still a very decent goalie with the ability to steal games. I think the World Championships showed that when Healthy he's great, but staying healthy has been a bit of a concern for him. Do I think he is a Veznia calibre goalie, no but he's not that far behind.. again when healthy.

But they would need to either eat money or the Flames send them Stajan, I would not do the deal any other way. There is no other contract I would want to send other than Stajan so if they balk at that i'm not interested. however, if they were willing to take Stajan I think the Flames could actually fill 2 needs in 1. 

Now we are talking, have them throw in Rychel for another prospect out of our picture.

Losing Stajan's salary ($3.125 Mil for 2 years) would drop Bob's cap hit to an equivalent of $5,341,667 for 3 years...

Exactly. Makes him much more affordable and reflect what I think he is worth. He isn't worth 6 plus which is why i would want salary going the other way

Unless I am missing what you are pitching, wouldn't it be $4.3m net cap hit for two years and $7.425m for year 3?  

With that, we get rid of Stajan (replace internally at $1m), get a goalie for $4.3m, and have the position sowed up for 3 years while our next guy is getting ready.  The 3rd year is problematic, but you can always buy him out at last resort.  

I think we may need to get CBJ to sweeten the pot to take that big a cap.  Yes, they are taking Stajan for $3.125m, but he isn't strictly a cap dump.  Throw in Rychel and we got a deal.   :lol:  

Now we are talking, have them throw in Rychel for another prospect out of our picture.

Oops, missed that one.  

Unless I am missing what you are pitching, wouldn't it be $4.3m net cap hit for two years and $7.425m for year 3? 

Same thing, just 2 different ways of looking at it...   I just spread Stajan's cap hit over 3 years instead of 2 to reflect the difference over the same term...

I think we may need to get CBJ to sweeten the pot to take that big a cap.  Yes, they are taking Stajan for $3.125m, but he isn't strictly a cap dump.  Throw in Rychel and we got a deal.   :lol: 

Just don't see them doing that...  Bob does have significant value, and they did overpay him...    Stajan has some value, but no where near Bob's value, and Stajan is overpaid as well...   The Flames would still come out ahead by losing his contract and freeing up a roster spot while at the same time solving the goalie issue...

Treliving might be able to do a little bit better, but won't get Rychel added to the deal... Maybe by adding another player to the deal for one in return he thinks is a better fit for to the Flames...

Same thing, just 2 different ways of looking at it...   I just spread Stajan's cap hit over 3 years instead of 2 to reflect the difference over the same term...

Just don't see them doing that...  Bob does have significant value, and they did overpay him...    Stajan has some value, but no where near Bob's value, and Stajan is overpaid as well...   The Flames would still come out ahead by losing his contract and freeing up a roster spot while at the same time solving the goalie issue...

Treliving might be able to do a little bit better, but won't get Rychel added to the deal... Maybe by adding another player to the deal for one in return he thinks is a better fit for to the Flames...

Add a "Torts" player to the deal from our side.  A roster player like Jooris or Bouma.  Or a defense prospect like Kulak.  Might even suggest Klimchuk, since we are flush with LW's.  

What has been the cause of his injury history ? just curious.

Its been a groin the last two years. Not sure if it was an issue before or not but his usage really spiked so it might be an overuse thing. Either way, worth looking into before thinking about acquiring him.

I think its a long shot but it is one of the many options you could consider. I'm not so sure Columbus is going to be so quick to move him. 

I'll throw another name out there for another goalie that I think might go on the trading block...   Bobrovsky...

I can see the Jackets going with Korpisalo...   This season he had a better win/loss record, GAA and SV%...

Korpisalo

49e455bac8721e08042e689fae036bb7.png

Bobrovsky

73c1c02bf9e2606d6835a71df16d8c6e.png

and Korpisalo is way cheaper for another season with a cap hit of $742,4K compared to Bobrovsky with 3 more seasons and a cap hit of $7.425 Mil...

Bobrovsky just had a good showing at the World Championship with some great stats to show for it...

2eb2558b0696ad03a06db4a03cbc5e16.png

Bobrovsky is not at the top of my list of goalies I would like to see as a Flame, but depending on who is available and at what cost, I could see Treliving making a trade if he could unload enough salary going back the other way, and Columbus might be a prime candidate for that kind of trade if they decide to go with Korpisalo...

He is only 27, and as we all know won the Vezina 3 years ago...   There is no question that he would be a significant upgrade in net for the Flames...

Just throwing his name into the hat as a potential candidate if he is put on the block and the Jackets were willing to take the right player(s) and salary back in trade (we all know who they are) and it would have to be a significant amount of dollars going back to Columbus...

Good call. I was pretty big on Bob & POed when stupid Homer traded him.

I just don't see the BJs handing the reins to Korpisalo just yet as the only experienced pro goalie on the team is McElhinny. Korpisalo has 31 NHL games which doesn't speak of being ready . That would put Columbus in the position of needing to sign a goalie for 2-3 years. So they end up with Stajan, a different (maybe lesser goalie) & a small cap saving they don't need to rely on.

I'd like to get Bob in a Flames jersey but need to play Devil's Advocate.

Good call. I was pretty big on Bob & POed when stupid Homer traded him.

I just don't see the BJs handing the reins to Korpisalo just yet as the only experienced pro goalie on the team is McElhinny. Korpisalo has 31 NHL games which doesn't speak of being ready . That would put Columbus in the position of needing to sign a goalie for 2-3 years. So they end up with Stajan, a different (maybe lesser goalie) & a small cap saving they don't need to rely on.

I would love to see BT find a way to make this one work for Bobrovsky and Rychel.

Its been a groin the last two years. Not sure if it was an issue before or not but his usage really spiked so it might be an overuse thing. Either way, worth looking into before thinking about acquiring him.

I think its a long shot but it is one of the many options you could consider. I'm not so sure Columbus is going to be so quick to move him. 

The Groin injuries that have occurred over the last 2 1/2 seasons are definitely a concern...   The 9 games he just played in the tournament he looked very sharp and had full mobility...  That said, maybe it does not re-occur, but what if it does?...   There is a risk...

b003cd1a9ef02be14d6eb8b424de9f44.png

That is exactly what I was doing too...   :)

Korpisalo played well enough that he would have stole the job from a number of starters...   I know it was only 31 games (Bob played 37) but he was their best goalie last season and was quite consistent...

If there is an expansion draft and the Jackets put a Korposalo on the trade block instead, I sure wouldn't mind if the Flames picked him up and went with him for a starter either...

Either way, I think the Jackets might do a bit of a shake-up with a few players, and I was just considering possibilities...

The Groin injuries that have occurred over the last 2 1/2 seasons are definitely a concern...   The 9 games he just played in the tournament he looked very sharp and had full mobility...  That said, maybe it does not re-occur, but what if it does?...   There is a risk...

b003cd1a9ef02be14d6eb8b424de9f44.png

That is exactly what I was doing too...   :)

Korpisalo played well enough that he would have stole the job from a number of starters...   I know it was only 31 games (Bob played 37) but he was their best goalie last season and was quite consistent...

If there is an expansion draft and the Jackets put a Korposalo on the trade block instead, I sure wouldn't mind if the Flames picked him up and went with him for a starter either...

Either way, I think the Jackets might do a bit of a shake-up with a few players, and I was just considering possibilities...

Don't get me wrong as I'd be happy to add Bob or Koposalo but can't see a reason for the BJs to part with either of the tandem. For 8.1 combined they look pretty good.

If Korosalo looks as good next year we'll probably see Bob on the trading block by trade deadline if Columbus looks like they'll miss the play offs as he needs a raise for 2017-18 off that ELC.

Unfortunately we need a goalie now.