s4xon

Questions: How many players does the expansion team get to draft from other teams and do they have to pick someone from each team ? Can they pick more from one team than another and is there a limit ?

My understanding is that it will be one player per team from every team.

I'm not sure, but would guess it would be Free Agents from the ECHL & AHL, plus un-drafted, age eligible NCAA & CHL prospects.

& the leftover 6-7 from the draft. You can't dress 30 in a game anyway.

If past drafts are any indication players selected can be traded back to that team for a few prospects/minor leaguers/picks if it was someone they would have preferred not to lose.

A top priority for the league, and major hurdle, has been taken care of:

NHL Players’ Association won't stand in the way of expansion

Details have not been released as to how NMCs and NTCs will be handled in the event of expansion yet, and it's my guess the league might not make these details available until expansion is announced.

The fact that this has been discussed and resolved gives me the feeling that expansion is going to happen, though it could just be my hope and excitement for it! :)

Wild to trade Keumper - wants a chance to start.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/28/wild-will-be-looking-to-trade-backup-goalie-darcy-kuemper/

not the best option but one worth looking into. I'd prefer him to Ramo to be honest. 

I would hope we are in on Kuemper. What should it take from the Flames ? You want a guy that is itching for a starting role.

Wild to trade Keumper - wants a chance to start.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/28/wild-will-be-looking-to-trade-backup-goalie-darcy-kuemper/

not the best option but one worth looking into. I'd prefer him to Ramo to be honest. 

As a backup he had better numbers than Ortio (NHL anyway).  He would be a good guy to bring in as a 1a/1b guy.  Give him the chance to succeed, but don't bet the farm on him.

Kuemper/Andersen sounds like a good combo.  Expansion draft aside.  :) 

I think if we are in on Kuemper at all? He pushes Ortio out and we still need a starter.if the team feels he could end up being a starter then it means Ramo gets re signed.

He doesn't scream starter his stats are barely better than Ortio's, his Corsi has him him at only 50% quality starts.

He just comes across as a very good backup. I certainly don't see what I would need to see to envision him getting 50-60 starts for a team that needs their goaltender to steal games on a regular basis.

I would be more apt to jump over Jonas Enroth in that scenario instead.

You can also get Enroth for nothing except a contract

I think if we are in on Kuemper at all? He pushes Ortio out and we still need a starter.if the team feels he could end up being a starter then it means Ramo gets re signed.

He doesn't scream starter his stats are barely better than Ortio's, his Corsi has him him at only 50% quality starts.

He just comes across as a very good backup. I certainly don't see what I would need to see to envision him getting 50-60 starts for a team that needs their goaltender to steal games on a regular basis.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to push Ortio out the door, you never know how an offseason will go.

My #1 effort would be to obtain one of Vasilevsky TB or Andersen ANA as well as someone like Kuemper along with Ortio. Let everyone come to opening day and sort it out from there.

Vasilevsky and Andersen talk starts with our Dallas #1 pick if we end up with it plus a few other pieces. Kuemper I'm not sure what it would take to land him but we should have a good relationship between GMs here.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to push Ortio out the door, you never know how an offseason will go.

My #1 effort would be to obtain one of Vasilevsky TB or Andersen ANA as well as someone like Kuemper along with Ortio. Let everyone come to opening day and sort it out from there.

Vasilevsky and Andersen talk starts with our Dallas #1 pick if we end up with it plus a few other pieces. Kuemper I'm not sure what it would take to land him but we should have a good relationship between GMs here.

If you give up more than a 4th round pick for Kuemper youve given up too much.

I agree with the price of the other 2...IF Vasikevsky is even available ( and I still dont think he will be) then we are more likely to get him than Andersen.. for the same reason I dont think we can get Andersen, the bolts will ship him west before he goes East.

If you give up more than a 4th round pick for Kuemper youve given up too much.

I agree with the price of the other 2...IF Vasikevsky is even available ( and I still dont think he will be) then we are more likely to get him than Andersen.. for the same reason I dont think we can get Andersen, the bolts will ship him west before he goes East.

I'm not sure a 4th would get it done but we will see.

As Kuemper's high for career games is 31 I also envision him as a good backup (& better than Ortio or Ramo). We would still need a starter.

I'd sooner go Enroth (or Montoya) as well.

On the way home from work I was listening to NHL Radio and they were talking to Jonathan Davis who covers all the California teams, and they were talking about the Duck in particular.

They asked him if he thought the Ducks would move Andersen, and Davis figured that they would keep Andersen as he solidified himself as the starter, and they would look to package Gibson and either Fowler or Vatanen to get some more scoring and in particular a top end LW.

Now if Anaheim made Gibson available, Calgary should throw everything they have at Anaheim to try and land him. I really believe this kid has Carey Price level upside.

I would do everything I could to not give up Gaudreau or Monahan, but to be honest I would consider Bennett or even our 1st (depending on the results of the lottery).

Gibson answers a lot of questions for this team now and in the future.

I wonder if we could get rid of a player in this deal ?

Sure. Probably an EL that we see little future in & a late pick. I assume you mean Kuemper as the UFAs cost the contract only. With almost $64 tied up in contracts it's doubtful the Wild take on a salary dump.

With the RFA rights to Kuemper we have a plan B if we don't sign a better backup or we just release him to free up a roster spot (although we only have 35 of 50 designated).

On the way home from work I was listening to NHL Radio and they were talking to Jonathan Davis who covers all the California teams, and they were talking about the Duck in particular.

They asked him if he thought the Ducks would move Andersen, and Davis figured that they would keep Andersen as he solidified himself as the starter, and they would look to package Gibson and either Fowler or Vatanen to get some more scoring and in particular a top end LW.

Now if Anaheim made Gibson available, Calgary should throw everything they have at Anaheim to try and land him. I really believe this kid has Carey Price level upside.

I would do everything I could to not give up Gaudreau or Monahan, but to be honest I would consider Bennett or even our 1st (depending on the results of the lottery).

For Gibson & 1 of Fowler/Vatenen I'd trade Bennett in a heartbeat (& he was the 1 I wanted that draft). I'd add but we don't know the value of the 1st until tomorrow. I'd use a few of our 2nds for now.

• Like 1

Wow . i gotta say I'm surprised they would look to Move Gibson first , but if true then Ya I'd be all over it..not sure if  I'd put Bennett in the Mix , but I'm sure we could still make it attractive.. if , we can get him .

Gibson would be perfect.  The irony is thick, given the amount of complaining on here about bringing on another prospect, but the reality is that it would be a nearly perfect solution for the right price.

I wouldn't dream of giving up Bennett for him.    Even if Bennett became expendable after the draft (which he currently isn't, frankly).

I do believe we have pieces to trade for him... but still in disbelief that he would be available.

• Like 1

Unfortunately he isn't the mgr, and Bennett alone does not get you Gibson AND Vatenen/Fowler.

That's a tall order that would get a ton of interest = overpayment.

Media discussing random thoughts...

If we get Gibson, does that make Gillies redundant?  Do you package him in a trade for Gibson?

I have a hard time believing Anaheim would let Gibson get away.  He looks to be a bargain at $2.3M per year through 2019.

I have a hard time believing it too.    I don't think it makes sense to start losing goaltending prospects until we have a clearly defined and proven starter and backup in the NHL.    And even then, you want a good AHL goalie too.   But, I could be wrong.  The Flames had no problems letting Brossoit go.

No way would I give up Bennett for Gibson it's a non starter for me. The ducks would have to add rakell to make me even consider it. While I agree Gibson has good upside I would never trade a potential top line elite skill center for a goalie. Wouldn't even consider it. It is significantly harder to find someone with Bennetts skill set then it is to find a goalie who can take you to a cup.

I'm all for acquiring him Bennett is a non starter as is the flames first this year. Bennett, Gaudrea, Mony, Brodie, Hamilton, and the flames first this year are off the table for me but anything else I would discuss.

• Like 1