s4xon

YEah. None of those make sense. 

Sigalet's schedule is meaningless when earlier in the year it was playing either Hiller or Ramo for stretches to "get them going" so that holds no water. 

Early in the season wins were the goal, playoffs were the goal. We don't have those goals now. 

Of the 4 starts Ortio has had since calling up, we've lost all 4. Three of them by a 2-1 score. You can't blame the goalie for that. 

No wins this year. Team isn't playing well in front of him for whatever reason. You can't just dismiss the lack of wins because he is playing better.

If they have then that's remarkably shortsighted. No, he's not played like an NHL starter. But given how he's been handled this season I doubt even Price would in that position. 

If he hasn't played like a starter why does he deserve to be the starter?

The 3rd point is debatable.  Bob wouldn't be the one making that decision.  BT would be, and it seems like BT's decisions aren't reflected in the lineups.  BT gave Hartley 3 goalies to start with, but he only went with 2.  BT called up Nakladal only to have him sit the entire time.

It could be the 1st one, but that only applies if there is some doubt about the starter.  Usually the win/good effort and you are in is the choice.

and we now have 3 goalies to finish off the season....... Maybe you are right and we should point fingers at BT. 

At the end of the day does it really matter who plays the rest of the way? Let's give Hiller a few games as a way of saying thanks for getting us in the playoffs last year.

I am guessing they know what they have in Ortio, and there are holes there. They will get him his games, sign him in the off-season and let him compete for a spot in training camp.

Backstrom will get a few games...because, well why not. Nobody else is lighting the sky on fire with their play.

• Like 2

Now JJ... Board has already got frayed nerves and you are being a elbowing disturber... 

I guess I just have to understand that there's different strategies...

there's...."Win Now".....by playing your vets and going for it.

there's.... "Tanking".....and getting a great draft pick...

and then there's "Try to Win Now" by playing the same vets that tanked you in the first place, and getting a high draft pick.

It makes more sense when I put the tin foil hat back on.

post-421541-0-31971100-1457047115_thumb.gif

I hope the Flames are looking for a new goaltending coach...   I just can't to see how Sigalet got the job in the first place...   So he was a goalie coach for a couple of seasons with the Heat...   So what?...   What was his stellar record of goalie development there that earned him a job on the NHL?...

As a player his record is questionable to qualify him as an expert...   Some pretty decent stats in the minors, and 1 minute played in 1 game with the Bruins in the NHL...

Malarchuk wasn't great, and I don't think Sigalet is a good choice for the job either...

• Like 1

I hope the Flames are looking for a new goaltending coach...   I just can't to see how Sigalet got the job in the first place...   So he was a goalie coach for a couple of seasons with the Heat...   So what?...   What was his stellar record of goalie development there that earned him a job on the NHL?

As a player his record is questionable to qualify him as an expert...   Some pretty decent stats in the minors, and 1 minute played in 1 game with the Bruins in the NHL...

Malarchuk wasn't great, and I don't think Sigalet is a good choice for the job either...

cf5b2b3671407dc06265d45662c81718.png

I have no counter to what you are saying. The above stats of all our goalies is dismal at best.

Ramo picked it up later on but is now hurt. I might consider him for backup, but I honestly don't think he will accept a cut in pay for backup role.

Edit: I am leaning towards a totally different set of goaltenders for the Flames is needed next year. One possible fit is the goalie we are facing tonight.

Put me in the camp of, BH, what are you thinking !!??  Maybe I just have my fan hat on but I've seen enough Jonas Hiller. At least throw the fans a bone and let's see Ortio.  Frankly, I'd rather see Backstrom at this point.  I don't want to be too hard on Hiller but IMO, he's lost his job on this team. 

I hope the Flames are looking for a new goaltending coach...   I just can't to see how Sigalet got the job in the first place...   So he was a goalie coach for a couple of seasons with the Heat...   So what?...   What was his stellar record of goalie development there that earned him a job on the NHL?...

Well put Carty, truth.   To be honest, you were one of the last people I expected to come out and say it.  

Malarchuk and Sigalet had one thing in common ....  Feel-Good Stories.

And, they are fantastic personal stories which speak to their character, attitude, and humanity.

Which speaks to how seriously the organization takes goaltender development.  It's been the "we'll find a spot for you" area.

Back in the days of Kipper, I could sort of see it (sort of).  Although...it may have cost us a cup then too.

Since Kipper, it's sort of like...What have we been doing?   And our best product is a guy who's never been involved in the Flames development system (Gillies).   And then...

The only justification I can see for starting Hiller tonight is he has 3 straight wins against them, and Ortio can have the tougher assignment against Pittsburgh.

At the other end we have 2 games left against Minnesota.. Good bet who gets one or both of those:)

The only justification I can see for starting Hiller tonight is he has 3 straight wins against them, and Ortio can have the tougher assignment against Pittsburgh.

At the other end we have 2 games left against Minnesota.. Good bet who gets one or both of those:)

What was that last one?  4-3 for Flames?  Ristolainen with a hatty?  Hiller a 0.900 SV%.

I find it difficult to get pumped for a Hiller game this season.  It's like watching a car wreck in slow motion.  You know what's coming, but you hope that nobody gets hurt.  

I think this is getting way out of hand. Why so serious? We're not making the playoffs this year! Look, I'm just as pissed with Hiller's play as the next guy - but why are we going bananas over BH's decision to start him tonight? Buffalo is a bottom dwelling team. Maybe he's giving Hiller the best chance to get a win. Personally, I think BH is assessing our players by putting them in different situations and seeing how they respond. With no shot at the playoffs, why not mix up the lines, find chemistry between players, put players in different situations (PP/PK) to see what you got going into next year? You can actually use games as an assessment tool, so why not take advantage of that?

As for Ortio, he'll likely get the lion's share of the games if he shows he wants it. I don't recall whether it was an article or something I heard on the fan 960, but early in the year something was said about Ortios professionalism not being where it needs to be. Regardless of whether it's true or not, I haven't seen Ortio separate himself enough from Ramo or Hiller with the opportunities he's been given.

I support BH. While some of what he does may not seem logical, I believe there is a purpose, learning goal, or experience he's using to help grow his players.

Hiller isn't a terrible goalie, he's just...bad lol. I see why some are up in arms with BH going with Hiller, we still don't know exactly what we have in Ortio. We know who Hiller is. I imagine we see another Ortio start then Backstrom will get some love. Either by next season we need a serious goalie if we want to win any games

Hiller isn't a terrible goalie, he's just...bad lol. I see why some are up in arms with BH going with Hiller, we still don't know exactly what we have in Ortio. We know who Hiller is. I imagine we see another Ortio start then Backstrom will get some love. Either by next season we need a serious goalie if we want to win any games

I think most pretty much know what we have in Ortio. He is still having problems with angles and giving up rebounds.

As for me I have him at best a backup, and I don't have a lot of confidence with him as backup because he does not seem to play well when not playing consistently. Hope he proves me wrong, and hope he can perform better,  but I am not holding my breath.

I don't want either Ramo or Hiller as #1 either. 

Edit: From an asset management perspective I can see some wanting him to get the games in, but really right now what type of asset is he? No one wanted him when sent through waivers.

I think most pretty much know what we have in Ortio. He is still having problems with angles and giving up rebounds.

As for me I have him at best a backup, and I don't have a lot of confidence with him as backup because he does not seem to play well when not playing consistently. Hope he proves me wrong, and hope he can perform better,  but I am not holding my breath.

Edit: From an asset management perspective I can see some wanting him to get the games in, but really right now what type of asset is he? No one wanted him when sent through waivers.

I think we've seen flashes of what Ortio brings or lacks, its just been tough to assess him because he hasn't really been allowed to get into a groove. I think people just want to see him get a string of consecutive starts to better assess his consistency..or lack thereof. I don't see him as a #1. The organization picked him over Brossoit so they must have seen a potential future net minder in him. I think the Flames might be better off with a competition in net, if we can't find a true #1 I'd rather run to goalies fighting for that starting position as opposed to just naming someone as "the guy", sometimes that breeds complacency if they get to comfortable. It worked for us last year alternating between Ramo and Hiller, it was enough to get us a playoff berth.

I get the opinion of him, and he hasn't done enough to really change that to a "must start".  Who cares though that he passed through waivers.  Many do.  Ramo came back and played ok to start and lights out for awhile.  

Pretty much a season wasted on him playing 3 games in the NHL and then playing 20 total games in the AHL, followed by 4 games in the NHL.  That is Kipper McBackup NHL games.  It's hard to tell what he can do when he keeps being used as a 3rd goalie or the backup after a Hiller loss.  

He's 24.  He's not a bad age for a backup that could become a starter.  I have my doubts, but I would rather give his enough games the rest of the season and if he's capable enough, re-sign him to a 1-2 year deal, as the backup.  Giving up on him after this year doesn't make any more sense than splitting up Johnny and Bennett after 1/2 a game.  He's a cheap asset to keep and a possibly expensive one to replace, backup or not.

Considering the last 3 starts, I don't see the need to play Hiller.  The season is done.  The losing has to be controlled, and the team has to regain faith in the goaltending.  Hiller isn't going to do that.

• Like 2

See i believe Hiller would be great back in heavy defense team. A Minnesota, a Detroit etc. Just like kipper was, we do best with a solid reactionary goaltender. Its just the way our team works.

Im all for resigning Ortio to a backup salary. Currently hes 600k . Keep him in that range and hes shown he can handle at least short runs, goes in after a long layoff and has a good game. Good backup material who still unseen upside.

Based on what we have to sign, and using johnny and Monahan in the guesstimate 7M range..we have no more than 4M to spend on a stsrter next season.

See i believe Hiller would be great back in heavy defense team. A Minnesota, a Detroit etc. Just like kipper was, we do best with a solid reactionary goaltender. Its just the way our team works.

Im all for resigning Ortio to a backup salary. Currently hes 600k . Keep him in that range and hes shown he can handle at least short runs, goes in after a long layoff and has a good game. Good backup material who still unseen upside.

Based on what we have to sign, and using johnny and Monahan in the guesstimate 7M range..we have no more than 4M to spend on a stsrter next season.

Are you calling Hiller a great reactionary goalie?  That is not what he is.  He relies on being in the right spot and blocks the puck.

He plays deep and on his knees, so he takes out the lower portion of the net.  He doesn't stop anything high, unless it's on the trapper side or hits him in the shoulders or chest.  He's best close in when guys are trying to jam the puck or mid level and below from the slot and out.

Well Hartley made us look sheepish for questioning his decision. Silly us.

Maybe Roger Millions should ask who's on the list for the next 5 games.  He should already know.  Or is it different now?  Or was it always that way?  Or was it whoever looked good in practice?  Or was it a team goalie x has beaten?

END of RANT - I am fed up with this topic.  

• Like 1

Are you calling Hiller a great reactionary goalie? That is not what he is. He relies on being in the right spot and blocks the puck.

He plays deep and on his knees, so he takes out the lower portion of the net. He doesn't stop anything high, unless it's on the trapper side or hits him in the shoulders or chest. He's best close in when guys are trying to jam the puck or mid level and below from the slot and out.

No hes not, thats my point. Hes positional. Ramo is reactionary, so was Kipper, Ortio is as well.

Not gonna lie, my gut is telling me Backstrom wasnt a simple throw in on that deal. If he shows well in the gsmes he gets, it would not surprise me at all to see him get signed.

He could totally flop too.. but if he has one more good year in him I could see that being the hope/ plan

Theres also the chance you could get him one year cheap, which could give us a ramo/Backstrom duo next year. Just because I also dont feel like team is willing to walk from Ramo. In which case they let ortio go. Backstrom is yiur wildcard right now contingent on how he looks