s4xon

To be honest I didn't think Montreal had or has a good team. It took an MVP year for Price to even get them close but because it is Montreal they get the hype. Look how many years it took Price to become a top goalie, years, there was a time there was talk Montreal was going to trade him.

Its the truth! They have struggled mightily without Price in net, it doesn't speak much to their team dynamic. They've really got their $ tied up with Price and Subban but there aren't many other pieces they can build around..maybe Beaulieu and Gallager but they have really fallen from grace over the last month. I agree goalies can take years, look at what Dubnyk displayed last season. Same reason I don't see guys like Gillies being legit for another 3-4 years minimum and even he's no guarantee.

Its the truth! They have struggled mightily without Price in net, it doesn't speak much to their team dynamic. They've really got their $ tied up with Price and Subban but there aren't many other pieces they can build around..maybe Beaulieu and Gallager but they have really fallen from grace over the last month. I agree goalies can take years, look at what Dubnyk displayed last season. Same reason I don't see guys like Gillies being legit for another 3-4 years minimum and even he's no guarantee.

Defense is a team dynamic IMO, thinking you can simply rely on the goaltender to bailout bad team defense is wrong in most cases.

Defense is a team dynamic IMO, thinking you can simply rely on the goaltender to bailout bad team defense is wrong in most cases.

True but thinking that if you have a great defence and great team defence will allow you to have success with a mediocre or less than stellar goalie is equally as wrong. 

You need to have upper end goaltending in this league, I don't care if your D core is good, bad or terrible if you don't have upper end goaltending you will go nowhere. 

Flames need to be actively seeking better goaltending if they want to contend. I can live with Ramo as a stop gap but he is nothing more than that. 

True but thinking that if you have a great defence and great team defence will allow you to have success with a mediocre or less than stellar goalie is equally as wrong. 

You need to have upper end goaltending in this league, I don't care if your D core is good, bad or terrible if you don't have upper end goaltending you will go nowhere. 

Flames need to be actively seeking better goaltending if they want to contend. I can live with Ramo as a stop gap but he is nothing more than that. 

I wasn't or didn't mean to say you can go with less than stellar goaltending, of course you will need this however another Price doesn't guarantee you a SC either. This is a team game and it requires everyone to do their job and do it well in order to win consistently.

• Like 1

I wasn't or didn't mean to say you can go with less than stellar goaltending, of course you will need this however another Price doesn't guarantee you a SC either. This is a team game and it requires everyone to do their job and do it well in order to win consistently.

Well Price on a better team than Montreal probably gets you to the SCF.  Price on the Flames this year and we are in a playoff spot, as opposed to 2 points from the basement.  A low GAA or SV% and we would be able to make up for lack of PP scoring.

Personally I don't find it funny.  As Flames fans, we were spoiled with the likes of Kipper and rode him into the sunset of his career.  Now we finally see the benefits of having a 1st line center and star scoring winger, and a very capable and skilled top 3 D core, and we're left with a hole in our net. 

It's unfortunate really

I agree....not so funny.

Then again....if we end up with Austin Matthews.....

Well Price on a better team than Montreal probably gets you to the SCF.  Price on the Flames this year and we are in a playoff spot, as opposed to 2 points from the basement.  A low GAA or SV% and we would be able to make up for lack of PP scoring.

Neither is the case so why worry about it.

An NHL goaltender requires many things including skill, determination, confidence, work ethic and elite training/coaching.  I believe Ramo has the first 4 check boxes but I’m unsure of the 5th.  If an organization cannot provide and assist with the 5th check box, what makes anyone so sure that another goaltender can succeed here?  I can think of a few GT’s that improved with time under the right conditions including Dubnyk, Smith, Thomas and Ranford.  I haven’t given up on Ramo just yet.  Ramo needs the bulk of the games moving forward this season for an adequate assessment and possible extension.

Ask yourself how many outright outstanding goalies are there ? Even Kiprusoff had his faults. I like that we are building a strong defensive group and as we get more responsible forwards the team effort should allow us to stop expecting perfection in our net.

Exactly -- many teams have proven you dont win cups with Elite goalies, or need to . I see Crawford as Average, Niemi certainly is- Quick i would call elite, but inconsistent.. outside of the Hasek years, Detroit won cups with sub par goalies.. even Howard , i find less than average. teams that have put all their money in net typically dont go on cup runs.

Now , do i think we are getting cup winning goaltending ? no .. but i also say if you put Ramo in Chicago, they are still a cup threat . he certainly didnt cost us the series against Anaheim.  I Do believe tho , and agree that the all over disappointment is a reflection of the goalie coach.. isnt Sean Burke looking for work right now??

Is it just me or is Ramo starting to look better and better?  At this point I would be comfortable with him as our starter for the next couple years.  With the defense we have in front of him, and the high scoring offence we are trying to build, he should be just fine.

Is it just me or is Ramo starting to look better and better? At this point I would be comfortable with him as our starter for the next couple years. With the defense we have in front of him, and the high scoring offence we are trying to build, he should be just fine.

I thought he had it in him but was never given the chance. Early this year I soured on him due to the poor start.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is Ramo starting to look better and better?  At this point I would be comfortable with him as our starter for the next couple years.  With the defense we have in front of him, and the high scoring offence we are trying to build, he should be just fine.

Ramo like every other UFA is performing to earn a contract this offseason, whether that is with the Flames will depend on a lot of other decisions surrounding contracts. He has gotten better, maybe he is one of those goalie that does better with a heavy workload like the other guy we used to have, what was his name, oh yeah Kipper. LOL

• Like 1

personally i say we sign Ramo to a 3 year.. hes proven he can handle a heavy workload , give us a chance to win more than he costs us a game. he proved last night Save % isn't a bible. he was flat out brilliant at times.

Hes the perfect mix of a solid #1, who needs enough back up you can groom someone else.. 

• Like 1

personally i say we sign Ramo to a 3 year.. hes proven he can handle a heavy workload , give us a chance to win more than he costs us a game. he proved last night Save % isn't a bible. he was flat out brilliant at times.

Hes the perfect mix of a solid #1, who needs enough back up you can groom someone else..

I take the season review over a small sample. Hopefully Treliving takes the same.

Mrs Ramo...... I wouldn't want the Flames to be giving any goalie a 3 year contract at this point unless it is  a top 10 proven goalie. 

Ramo has not played half the games yet this season and most of the first games were close to horror shows. There is reason why he was put on waivers and cleared them.

It is way too early to be talking locking him up as a Starter for 3 years. This type of thinking last year is what got us in trouble this season.

Mrs Ramo...... I wouldn't want the Flames to be giving any goalie a 3 year contract at this point unless it is a top 10 proven goalie.

Ramo has not played half the games yet this season and most of the first games were close to horror shows. There is reason why he was put on waivers and cleared them.

It is way too early to be talking locking him up as a Starter for 3 years. This type of thinking last year is what got us in trouble this season.

It isn't that often that you and I agree. But when we do the answer is probably the correct one ;)

There should be no rush at all to sign Ramo nor any discussion past 2 years worth of term. That doesn't mean he won't be back but the Flames should exhaust all opporunities in trade/FA before looking to bring Ramo back. With a weak goalie market in FA and the amoun to teams that acquired starters last year I don't expect a robut market for Ramo. Flames would be best to let him test the waters and see that before committing anythong to him. 

Yeesh

http://theahl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=1015381

Maybe this means Ortio gets some playing time?  Not sure.

48 shots against.....

Ortio against the Gulls 4 GA on 21 shots

Poulin against the Condors 4 GA on 32 shots

Poulin against the Condors 5 GA on 28 shots, Ortio 2 GA on 20 shots

Take your pick as to who deserves more playing time.

Yeesh

http://theahl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=1015381

Maybe this means Ortio gets some playing time? Not sure.

48 shots against.....

Ortio and Poulin have been splitting time pretty evenly, but it seems to be Poulin that is putting up the better numbers. Ortio is barely putting up good enough numbers to be an AHL backup let alone earning time in the NHL.

If Calgary needs to call one goalie up Poulin is the obvious choice at this point.