s4xon

No, I'm commenting on the goal, not attacking Ramo. I'd have said the same of any goalie; it's still Stamkos, I never said easy save, just that he got out of position too early and couldn't recover.

Since Nov 13: 12-6-1; 2.07; .926.

Not complaining, it was one play, I'm not slamming him

All I can say about Ramo is that he's ripped that starter roll and we're getting consistency, all due to him.

He's pushing 2 months of being a bonafide NHL starter while playing every single game.

It is firmly him that's really helped turn it around.

How about the players who should actually be covering Stamkos ? Stamkos should never be left alone in our zone.

How about the players who should actually be covering Stamkos ? Stamkos should never be left alone in our zone.

Bingo!  Our GT is our last line of defense, as a result he plays under a microscope and gets ROASTED whenever the puck enters our net.  Mistakes or missed assignments are happening all over the ice with the remaining 20 players yet in most instances they get a pass.  The team who makes the fewest mistakes often wins the game and right now Ramo is making very few mistakes and has become a legit #1 GT, let’s hope he stays focused and can keep it up.

• Like 1

I actually did not think that Ramo had the best game against TB. Yes, the numbers suggest as much, but the shots he faced were pretty weak and from the margins. The Flames did a solid job of team defense and TB was really lethargic in this one until the last minute or so. The one he did let in was off of Stamkos who was not covered at all, but he still overplayed it. I think he is a good goalie (not excellent), but he frustrates the heck out of me when he overplays shots. I thought he had better games earlier in the season when we allowed affairs to be total shooting galleries. You cannot blame a goalie at all under those circumstances. In general, he has been playing well. Again, not amazing, not stupid crazy good, just pretty good.

I actually did not think that Ramo had the best game against TB. Yes, the numbers suggest as much, but the shots he faced were pretty weak and from the margins. The Flames did a solid job of team defense and TB was really lethargic in this one until the last minute or so. The one he did let in was off of Stamkos who was not covered at all, but he still overplayed it. I think he is a good goalie (not excellent), but he frustrates the heck out of me when he overplays shots. I thought he had better games earlier in the season when we allowed affairs to be total shooting galleries. You cannot blame a goalie at all under those circumstances. In general, he has been playing well. Again, not amazing, not stupid crazy good, just pretty good.

Team defense should make every game this way, this play was missing for 2 months previously.

But I was talking about how the goalie played a shoot in, I know full well 6 other things could have happened.

I'm not ROASTING Ramo as CheersMan alludes to.

I'm talking about 1 split second play, and I've given Ramo full props.

Can be a touchy bunch around here.

There is a saying, "midseason form" for a reason. We're hitting it. Hopefully it's yet another message to fans to wait 6-8 weeks into the season before being dismissive and down on everyone...

But I was talking about how the goalie played a shoot in, I know full well 6 other things could have happened.

I'm not ROASTING Ramo as CheersMan alludes to.

I'm talking about 1 split second play, and I've given Ramo full props.

There is a saying, "midseason form" for a reason. We're hitting it. Hopefully it's yet another message to fans to wait 6-8 weeks into the season before being dismissive and down on everyone...

I'm with on that one.

Ramo had no chance in the stamkos goal. That took a wicked bounce off the board right to a wide open stamkos. Would have taken an unbelievable save to stop that. I was as there and the puck shot off the boards right to Stamkos.

This. i was there too in perfect few of the shot. Brodie was shadowing Stamkos all night and left him wide open on that play. Ramo had no chance and was not at fault for that goal. 

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE ARE YELLING ABOUT!!!

I agree with your assessment. Even great players have weaknesses. Johnny turns over the puck too often in the neutral/offensive zones, OV show boats too frequently, and Ramo overplays wrap arounds because he cannot read plays like Kipper (the Oracle). By overplay, I mean he puts on Mike Palmateer impersonations. Having stated the obvious, he has worked on this weakness and likely would not have made the save in question given Stamkos was let loose in a great position. 

Ramo was 12 minutes shy of setting a franchise shut out record. He let in one goal and got the win. Seems incredibly knit picky to over analyze a goal against from a wide open Stamkos off if a wide open shot.

Depends on point of view I guess. If we were all Michelangelos, the world would be a boring place...

If you want to focus on negatives when you read, I can't do much about that.

Maybe it all works out in the end, but I have always thought that save percentage was an invalid statistic to the extent that it is largely attached to goaltenders. You could have poor play by the goalie, but stellar defense, and it reflects well on the 'tender. Alternatively, you can have the best goaltending, but your defense lets you down and the 'tender takes the blame. The same can be said if the forwards are really slow to help out in the defensive zone. It is very easy to blame the defense for poor breakouts, but that could be the result of slack jawed yokels up front. Save percentage is a team statistic, not a goaltender statistic per se. Attributing a save percentage, good or bad, to a goaltender is like blaming the middle domino for knocking over the one next to it even though the domino line is 20 feet long.

Maybe it all works out in the end, but I have always thought that save percentage was an invalid statistic to the extent that it is largely attached to goaltenders. You could have poor play by the goalie, but stellar defense, and it reflects well on the 'tender. Alternatively, you can have the best goaltending, but your defense lets you down and the 'tender takes the blame. The same can be said if the forwards are really slow to help out in the defensive zone. It is very easy to blame the defense for poor breakouts, but that could be the result of slack jawed yokels up front. Save percentage is a team statistic, not a goaltender statistic per se. Attributing a save percentage, good or bad, to a goaltender is like blaming the middle domino for knocking over the one next to it even though the domino line is 20 feet long.

Save percentage isn't perfect but it is a pretty good stat to use to determine how a goaltender is playing. Goals against average on the other hand is a pure team stat.

I think other factors have to be taken into consideration such as amount of shots a goalie faces per game, but overall save percentage is the best stat for a goalie that I have found. With all the advanced stats out there goalie stats have been left behind.

Save percentage isn't perfect but it is a pretty good stat to use to determine how a goaltender is playing. Goals against average on the other hand is a pure team stat.

I think other factors have to be taken into consideration such as amount of shots a goalie faces per game, but overall save percentage is the best stat for a goalie that I have found. With all the advanced stats out there goalie stats have been left behind.

Even strength save percentage is a decent metric. Some teams take more penalties and obviously it's harder to stop the puck when your outnumbered. Even strength save percentage removes that.

Ortio had another bad outing last night.  Mostly was scored on during the PP (2 SHG against) or PK (2 PPG against).

Six goals on 35 shots.

Frustrating to see the decline :(      

It seems that goaltending is very much a "what have you done for me lately" position.   Blame whomever, but events of over the last year or so have clearly messed with his head.   Hoping he can get it back together soon.  I'm sure he can, but he's running out of time if Jon Gillies heals up.

Frustrating to see the decline :(      

It seems that goaltending is very much a "what have you done for me lately" position.   Blame whomever, but events of over the last year or so have clearly messed with his head.   Hoping he can get it back together soon.  I'm sure he can, but he's running out of time if Jon Gillies heals up.

His consistency is the only thing right now that bothers me.  Poulin had a similar game, but he isn't a prospect.  He will likely get the next start though.  Ortio has to string the wins together to stay in the net, or at least have good outings.   A 3-2 or 2-1 loss is not an issue if he plays well.  Ramo struggled a bit after returning from the AHL, but was putting forth good effort.

As far as "events of over the last year", it was really just from training camp forward.  Whether it is mental or bad conditioning or lack of play, he needs to spend as much time as possible with the coaching staff.  And I think that the Flames have to demand that it be a priority right now.  

His consistency is the only thing right now that bothers me.  Poulin had a similar game, but he isn't a prospect.  He will likely get the next start though.  Ortio has to string the wins together to stay in the net, or at least have good outings.   A 3-2 or 2-1 loss is not an issue if he plays well.  Ramo struggled a bit after returning from the AHL, but was putting forth good effort.

As far as "events of over the last year", it was really just from training camp forward.  Whether it is mental or bad conditioning or lack of play, he needs to spend as much time as possible with the coaching staff.  And I think that the Flames have to demand that it be a priority right now.  

Unfortunately its not hard to mess with a Goalie's head, and I too hope he gets it back , but I personally think hes mentally detached from Calgary and forgot what he did to get there.

I believe he thought the battle was won at the end of the season with is 1 way kicking in , then they resigned Ramo, then he likely thought he was auto #3, but still immune from being sent down .. now hes back on the farm and hes dejected..probably already thinking ahead to just signing with another team after the season.. when what he should be doing is getting %$#@ed off and standing on his head 

At least with Ramo , we finally figured out, he needs a workload to thrive.. the "lose and youre out " probably messed with his head .. think he really turned the corner when he was asked if he wanted both games of a double header that time.. then backed it up 

Unfortunately its not hard to mess with a Goalie's head, and I too hope he gets it back , but I personally think hes mentally detached from Calgary and forgot what he did to get there.

I believe he thought the battle was won at the end of the season with is 1 way kicking in , then they resigned Ramo, then he likely thought he was auto #3, but still immune from being sent down .. now hes back on the farm and hes dejected..probably already thinking ahead to just signing with another team after the season.. when what he should be doing is getting %$#@ed off and standing on his head 

At least with Ramo , we finally figured out, he needs a workload to thrive.. the "lose and youre out " probably messed with his head .. think he really turned the corner when he was asked if he wanted both games of a double header that time.. then backed it up 

If he thinks any team in NA will sign him at this rate, he's grasping at straws.  He has to be at least one of the top AHL goalies to get a chance to get a NHL backup role.  His body of work this year is not inspiring.  Not just his most recnt one, but all of them this season.  There are guys getting a chance in the NHL this season that responded by winning their 1st or getting a SO in their first, or even guys like Bernier that improved after playing in the AHL.

I've never been much of a fan of Orito, I just don't see a NHL career for him.

Gillies is the goal-tending prospect that I'm most hopeful for.

That said, it's very difficult to predict that position, as goalies usually mature so much later than defense or forwards.

Many goal-tenders don't come into their own until they are 27 or 28.

Ortio has always been inconsistent. The problem has been when he's been on he's been REALLY on and plays like one of the best young goalies in the A but when he is off he's below avg. he's never been able to date, to find that happy medium. Not to say he can't but until he does I don't think he'l be an NHL option.