s4xon

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

We are likely the best fit for Talbot. NJ had Schneider locked in at big money for the next handful of seasons. We have Rittich who’s a good goalie, but I’m sure Talbot will like his chances at being a #1 here more than in NJ. I think he signs here. Also gives him a chance to stick it to the Oilers 

I agree with this.
I also wouldn't mind it at all. I think Talbot will be better playing behind a better team. Edmonton and Philadelphia weren't exactly models of defensive consistency.

33 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I agree with this.
I also wouldn't mind it at all. I think Talbot will be better playing behind a better team. Edmonton and Philadelphia weren't exactly models of defensive consistency.

I don’t think the Flames are either. We have a bit more structure but the amount of brain farts that our team had really handcuffed our goalies the last few years. 

We need a goalie who can stop pucks when they're cold. the possession game we play leads goalies to go cold. Although we did the same with Hartley’s system as well so... I just think we aren’t fully there defensively yet. 

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t think the Flames are either. We have a bit more structure but the amount of brain farts that our team had really handcuffed our goalies the last few years. 

We need a goalie who can stop pucks when they're cold. the possession game we play leads goalies to go cold. Although we did the same with Hartley’s system as well so... I just think we aren’t fully there defensively yet. 

I feel as though Rittich is that goalie. Before the Flames started playing collectively weaker in front of him toward the end of the season he was showing that at least.
It's just nice to have a veteran ready to jump in instead of one of our unproven young tenders, and with the cost needing to be relatively cheap it's a logical option IMO.

52 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Even with Smth playing like crap for 1/2 a season.

Even with Rittich changing his game to match Smith and letting in crap goals........

We were 2nd in the league in goal differential.

Every team makes poor reads at times.

Talbot is the wrong way to go. 

Two years ago, we talked about a stop gap goalie to help buy time for Jon Gillies.  Now that Gillies is not going to be the starter we thought, it's time to go get a Bobrovsky level goalie.  Talbot is the kind of goalie you get to buy time for Parsons?  If we are serious about a Cup, then stop buying time.  Go get the guy.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Two years ago, we talked about a stop gap goalie to help buy time for Jon Gillies.  Now that Gillies is not going to be the starter we thought, it's time to go get a Bobrovsky level goalie.  Talbot is the kind of goalie you get to buy time for Parsons?  If we are serious about a Cup, then stop buying time.  Go get the guy.

who is that guy though?? I really don't think Bobro wants to play out west.. Too much travel.. etc.. My feeling is that .. We have Rittich.. He seems comfortable here.. let's bring in someone that can play.. 30 plus games under 2.5 gag and .900 plus save % and run with this

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Either a Bob type or a Murray in the making.

I can't see any team trading a Bob type.

And the real Bob is going to blow up the cap.

UFA's like Mrazek is as big a risk as Varly.

Lehner is probably more "stable", but again will be crazy expensive.

Expensive for this team that is.

I'm not sure how we have gone from being able to afford $6m+ to being limited to less than $6m.

Some teams have more than 2 goalies, one will be lost to waivers.

Maybe we should be looking at those guys and making a minor (or major) trade to get the next guy.

Parsons may still be the guy, but he has some major hurdles to get over.

Gillies is in make or break category and will need to prove at the AHL level he is improving.

He will have to be waived the end of the summer IIRC.

57 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Easier said than done, there are only about 10 "the guys" in the league. If you look at Boston and St. Louis, neither team had a goalie play more than 50 games last year. Binnington came out of nowhere, is he "the guy" or is he a one year wonder. Rask was "the guy" for years, but it wasn't till he was played in a tandem that he got over the hump and won a Cup.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Easier said than done, there are only about 10 "the guys" in the league. If you look at Boston and St. Louis, neither team had a goalie play more than 50 games last year. Binnington came out of nowhere, is he "the guy" or is he a one year wonder. Rask was "the guy" for years, but it wasn't till he was played in a tandem that he got over the hump and won a Cup.

True Binnington could end up being a flash in the pan, or not. The Bruins won the cup with Tim Thomas as their guy and I believe he played 55 games.

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

who is that guy though?? I really don't think Bobro wants to play out west.. Too much travel.. etc.. My feeling is that .. We have Rittich.. He seems comfortable here.. let's bring in someone that can play.. 30 plus games under 2.5 gag and .900 plus save % and run with this

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Either a Bob type or a Murray in the making.

I can't see any team trading a Bob type.

And the real Bob is going to blow up the cap.

UFA's like Mrazek is as big a risk as Varly.

Lehner is probably more "stable", but again will be crazy expensive.

Expensive for this team that is.

I'm not sure how we have gone from being able to afford $6m+ to being limited to less than $6m.

Some teams have more than 2 goalies, one will be lost to waivers.

Maybe we should be looking at those guys and making a minor (or major) trade to get the next guy.

Parsons may still be the guy, but he has some major hurdles to get over.

Gillies is in make or break category and will need to prove at the AHL level he is improving.

He will have to be waived the end of the summer IIRC.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It's not easy but it's top priority.

It's one thing to have a promising rookie with no experience... at least he brings hope and optimism.  It's another to throw up your arms and say it's too hard so let's just settle.  

2 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Any idea how much Lehner is asking?

My guess is anywhere between 5-6+ as whoever doesn’t land Bobrovsky will be after him. Him and Mrazek are tricky because they are guys who have made big money, both have made 4 mill a year at one point I believe, then took a massive pay cut this past year, think they’ll wanna really cash in this summer

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's not easy but it's top priority.

It's one thing to have a promising rookie with no experience... at least he brings hope and optimism.  It's another to throw up your arms and say it's too hard so let's just settle.  

I am sure it is top priority, but it is top priority for half the league. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean the team isn't trying.

I will also say that its too early to that Rittich isn't the guy, he sure was trending that way prior to being injured. He is also a guy that works hard at his craft, going into last year breakaways and shootouts were a weakness for him, so he worked at it and it became a strength.

I am not saying that Talbot is the answer, but I can't say that he isn't and I can't say that Lehner or Mrazek are going to be any better, as they have both shown a ton of inconsistency in their careers to this point. So if you can get Talbot for half of what Lehner or Mrazek are going to cost than I think it is worth the gamble. We don't have the cap space to spend $10m on goalies.

46 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am sure it is top priority, but it is top priority for half the league. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean the team isn't trying.

I will also say that its too early to that Rittich isn't the guy, he sure was trending that way prior to being injured. He is also a guy that works hard at his craft, going into last year breakaways and shootouts were a weakness for him, so he worked at it and it became a strength.

I am not saying that Talbot is the answer, but I can't say that he isn't and I can't say that Lehner or Mrazek are going to be any better, as they have both shown a ton of inconsistency in their careers to this point. So if you can get Talbot for half of what Lehner or Mrazek are going to cost than I think it is worth the gamble. We don't have the cap space to spend $10m on goalies.

This is why I would be okay with the cheaper options for stability. Rittich's game started to show weakness at the same time the team as a whole did, so it isn't entirely on him imo. I also thought I read somewhere that he was dealing with a nagging injury later on in the season.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:44 AM, travel_dude said:

I never got the sense that Philly was bringing back Talbot.

4 games played.

Elliott at least gave them a reasonable SA% and GAA.

Better than Smith.

I seriously doubt that Talbot is going to get multiple offers close to $2m.

I don't think he's any worse than Koskinen, but that's not saying much.

EDM won't touch him and he won't go there anyway.

I would like to make a trade for Jarry and sign Talbot to less than $2m, preferably closer to $1m.

One gets sent down come October.

Unless a big trade is happening, there are not a lot of good options available.

Jarry is more of a risk, but potentially a better long term asset.

Talbot is at least a NHL goalie, but he may not be able to recapture his form.

Crazy.  We already have 4 goalies signed, not including Rittich.  Where are they all going to go?  Talk about not backing your own guys.....

4 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Crazy.  We already have 4 goalies signed, not including Rittich.  Where are they all going to go?  Talk about not backing your own guys.....

You are right I forgot we had Schneider and Zagidulin. Perhaps Gillies is moved as part of a deal this offseason.

32 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

We have Gillies and Schneider and Parsons signed that have played in NA.

Zag is a great sounding prospect, but may not be ready this year.

BT isn't expecting him to crack the lineup.

Do you get the sense that Schneider will even be an AHL goalie?  I don't.

Gillies and Zag will split starts in Stockton, and Parsons gets the lion share in Kansas with Schneider backing up.

That assumes we have Rittich and 1b in Calgary.

Anything can change, but this is almost identical to last year.

Last year Gillies and Parsons got the splits, while MacDonald and Schneider got Kansas.

They would move an AHL guy to the ECHL to get more starts.

Perhaps one of Gillies and Parsons shows enough in camp/preseason to end up on the NHL roster.

If not, then we have a hole in nets.

You want to wait till October to deal with it?

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

We have Gillies and Schneider and Parsons signed that have played in NA.

Zag is a great sounding prospect, but may not be ready this year.

BT isn't expecting him to crack the lineup.

Do you get the sense that Schneider will even be an AHL goalie?  I don't.

Gillies and Zag will split starts in Stockton, and Parsons gets the lion share in Kansas with Schneider backing up.

That assumes we have Rittich and 1b in Calgary.

Anything can change, but this is almost identical to last year.

Last year Gillies and Parsons got the splits, while MacDonald and Schneider got Kansas.

They would move an AHL guy to the ECHL to get more starts.

Perhaps one of Gillies and Parsons shows enough in camp/preseason to end up on the NHL roster.

If not, then we have a hole in nets.

You want to wait till October to deal with it?

Rittich & Gillies-NHL

Parsons & Zagidulin-AHL

Schneider-ECHL

...dealt with.

2 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Rittich & Gillies-NHL

Parsons & Zagidulin-AHL

Schneider-ECHL

...dealt with.

Going into the season with Gillies as part of the NHL tandem is risky and downright scary.

Gillies has never shown any kind of consistency. I have never really been a fan of his. He's big and athletic, but he lacks focus, he is good for a soft goal a game. Hopefully he can get past it this year, but he needs to prove it at the AHL level first.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Going into the season with Gillies as part of the NHL tandem is risky and downright scary.

Gillies has never shown any kind of consistency. I have never really been a fan of his. He's big and athletic, but he lacks focus, he is good for a soft goal a game. Hopefully he can get past it this year, but he needs to prove it at the AHL level first.

We all agree on where Gillies is now,

But I disagree on how he got here, that he was "always bad", or lacked focus.

Straight up.

He was a better goaltender 2, even 3 years ago, than he is right now.   He has regressed.  Significantly.  Especially in the last year.

All he needs to do, is be the goalie he was 3 years ago, and he will be our best AHL goalie with an outside shot at being a surprise NHL candidate.    Anything less, and he's out the door in no time.   I am terrified of this happening right after we trade him.  Although I agree it is the best thing.  The "humain" thing to do, if nothing else.

The Flames organization NEEDS to figure out why goaltenders get worse when we try and develop them.  This happens WAY too much.   It even happened this year with Rittich in the last half of the season.   The last goaltender we developed properly out of Junior was Mike Vernon.  That is not good.

50 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

We all agree on where Gillies is now,

But I disagree on how he got here, that he was "always bad", or lacked focus.

Straight up.

He was a better goaltender 2, even 3 years ago, than he is right now.   He has regressed.  Significantly.  Especially in the last year.

All he needs to do, is be the goalie he was 3 years ago, and he will be our best AHL goalie with an outside shot at being a surprise NHL candidate.    Anything less, and he's out the door in no time.   I am terrified of this happening right after we trade him.  Although I agree it is the best thing.  The "humain" thing to do, if nothing else.

The Flames organization NEEDS to figure out why goaltenders get worse when we try and develop them.  This happens WAY too much.   It even happened this year with Rittich in the last half of the season.   The last goaltender we developed properly out of Junior was Mike Vernon.  That is not good.

Gillies has always had propensity for letting in soft goals going back to college and in the WJC. In college he played on a great defensive team that helped him cover up some of those mistakes. About 3 years ago he also had hip surgery, but that hasn't seemed to effect the way he moves. I really believe his issue has and is on the mental side of things.

4 hours ago, cccsberg said:

sports radio in Calgary today says Talbot in Calgary on a one year /one way will be announced July 1