s4xon

This Zagidulin signing is interesting.

Rittich is a no brainer he’s back next year. Still need a goalie, have a feeling Smith will be brought back next year 

Gillies and Parsons under contract next year as is Schneider. McDonald’s deal is up but he’s been really good in the ECHL.

You have to wonder, he wouldn’t sign here to be an ECHL goalie. He would be guaranteed AHL position if not a backup role. It will be interesting

On 3/26/2019 at 10:01 PM, lou44291 said:

If we remain 1st in the west to start the playoffs, Smith will start. If not, Rittich will start. As tbc mentioned above, Smith seems to get the softer matchups, so that may be the blueprint to start the playoffs as well. 

I don;t get the logic.

You start the best guy and only give him a night off if he has a eally tough game, like double overtime.

Facing the best or the worst, it doesn;t matter.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I don;t get the logic.

You start the best guy and only give him a night off if he has a eally tough game, like double overtime.

Facing the best or the worst, it doesn;t matter.

I agree 100% TD. This was my attempt to guess what BP would do, not I. It’s Rittich or bust for me. 

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

I agree 100% TD. This was my attempt to guess what BP would do, not I. It’s Rittich or bust for me. 

I have no idea who will get the starts anymore.

Start Smith in CGY, yet Rittich has better home record.

He gets the iwn against a depleated Ducks team.

They didn;t even look dangerous.

I'll take the win.

Road games against SJS and LA in two nights.

Rittich has a better SA% and GAA on the road, but you can;t start him both games.

He should get the SJS game.

Just need a single point to clinch the division and conference in the first game. 

25 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's reading like Rittich vs SJS to me.

And to start the playoffs if everything stays the same.

Regardless of the talking heads, looks pretty clear to me that Rittich's taking the hard games.

He's had some hard starts recently.

Rittich has the only win against SJS.

Against LA, Smith is 1-1, Rittich is 1-0

Against ANA, Smth is 2-1, Ritich has not faced them.

Against EDM, Smith has not faced them and Rittich is 2-0-1

I would prefer that Rittich get two games in after SJS.

Get mentally ready to start.

If it were my choice I would go with Rittich in the playoffs. He’s had the tougher assignments since pretty much November  as well.

Wouldnt be surprised though if it’s Smith however. There’s also no harm in Rittich not starting, Saros is as good as Rinne and no chance he gets any playoff games this year. Anyway as I have previously posted I do t think the game 1 starter gets much leash if any. Lose game 1 and I think we see the other guy in game 2

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If it were my choice I would go with Rittich in the playoffs. He’s had the tougher assignments since pretty much November  as well.

Wouldnt be surprised though if it’s Smith however. There’s also no harm in Rittich not starting, Saros is as good as Rinne and no chance he gets any playoff games this year. Anyway as I have previously posted I do t think the game 1 starter gets much leash if any. Lose game 1 and I think we see the other guy in game 2

I am as concerned about switching goalies after one game as I am about Smith being the starter.

Not a lot of breathing room.

Lose game one to the 8th seed and you have lost home ice advantage.

Now what?

WAS did it last year and almost lost the 1st round.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I am as concerned about switching goalies after one game as I am about Smith being the starter.

Now what?

And yet just because Washington did it doesn’t mean we will.

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Holtby struggled down the stretch and they gave the other guy the nod.

Almost backfired.

Just saying.

In our case, both look like they can win their games.

Maybe that's because of who they face.

They haven't named the starter for the SJS game yet, because it might not matter if the Sharks lose tonight.

I just want to see them pick the best guy (Rittich lol) and get him tuned up for the playoffs.

Hard to draw any conclusions from last night's game.

Smith made one really good stop, that was maybe a grade B+ chance.

The rest of the game was minimal.

His puck handling led to the goal.

Other times he played it, it resulted in turnovers.

Not a great example of his abilities, and the playoffs will exploit those.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Now what?

Well, not much to do about it. I'm sure we'd all like Rittich to have 16 shutouts in a row, but that may not happen. lol

If you look at the positives, we have 2 capable goalies that have different styles.

We may be in really good shape in that regard. If most other playoff teams lose their #1, they don't have a plan B like we do.

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Dude. Why do you love the negative route?

We've been down so long that having a really good team now is euphoria.

Maybe we lose in the 1st rd, who's to say, but we get to be in the playoffs.

I don't get why you shiv the balloon constantly and then say, "I'm a realist" when you get called out.

Is there no sunshine where you live? I heard it only rains once in Van, starts in October and ends in April. lol

I'm fine bouncing negatives around, like our 3rd line worries. But you really come across as next level negative about most things.

Paint on a smile man, we're having our best season in ages.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Dude. Why do you love the negative route?

We've been down so long that having a really good team now is euphoria.

Maybe we lose in the 1st rd, who's to say, but we get to be in the playoffs.

I don't get why you shiv the balloon constantly and then say, "I'm a realist" when you get called out.

Is there no sunshine where you live? I heard it only rains once in Van, starts in October and ends in April. lol

I'm fine bouncing negatives around, like our 3rd line worries. But you really come across as next level negative about most things.

Paint on a smile man, we're having our best season in ages.

When I think about it, I wonder, we’ve lost some games, then go on a streak, like 4 or 5 games. Losing two in a row might not be such a big deal. 

I guess i come from a place where I say the opposite of what I want to happen because it’s how my luck seems to work. They’ll shut me up. I mean the team, but you seem to want to too. 

I mean, I critique and really want perfection but also want them to shut me up. 

Here’s a smile for you!

Why so serious?

FF17B3D2-5F4B-4A18-BC06-A703177A264A.jpeg

51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Holtby struggled down the stretch and they gave the other guy the nod.

Almost backfired.

Just saying.

In our case, both look like they can win their games.

Maybe that's because of who they face.

They haven't named the starter for the SJS game yet, because it might not matter if the Sharks lose tonight.

I just want to see them pick the best guy (Rittich lol) and get him tuned up for the playoffs.

Hard to draw any conclusions from last night's game.

Smith made one really good stop, that was maybe a grade B+ chance.

The rest of the game was minimal.

His puck handling led to the goal.

Other times he played it, it resulted in turnovers.

Not a great example of his abilities, and the playoffs will exploit those.

If we clinch before, it could still be a tune up to a possible 2nd round matchup. They might want to make a statement. 

Right now it looks a lot like Colorado in the first round.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

When I think about it, I wonder, we’ve lost some games, then go on a streak, like 4 or 5 games. Losing two in a row might not be such a big deal. 

I guess i come from a place where I say the opposite of what I want to happen because it’s how my luck seems to work. They’ll shut me up. I mean the team, but you seem to want to too. 

Why so serious?

To think I'm doing it to shut you up isn't correct.

If I have a 50/50 shot at something, I'm always on the wrong 50, so you're not alone.

All I can do is laugh at myself, not let it torment me.

So if the least I can do is tighten your bootstraps and grab your hand for a fun ride, it's the least that I can do.

This whole online debacle of trying to be compassionate is a struggle.

I'm bringing it up because you've been almost regularly negative lately, like you've never really been before.

You've got a great hockey mind, but like you say yourself, you've always had to hope for the worst to get the best.

You know that isn't actually a thing, you've just convinced yourself that it is. Like Mony forgetting how to be an NHLer.

59 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Well, not much to do about it. I'm sure we'd all like Rittich to have 16 shutouts in a row, but that may not happen. lol

If you look at the positives, we have 2 capable goalies that have different styles.

We may be in really good shape in that regard. If most other playoff teams lose their #1, they don't have a plan B like we do.

Yeah, I'm not freakin out or anything, just asking the tough questions.

Smith has scratched his way back to 900.

Good to have that luzury of two goalies to choose from.

I just caution that a lot of it has been against lesser teams.

I'm pumped for the playoffs.

May actually see one live.

On the road, Rittich has won so many.

At home, he has better numbers but more losses, which just started recently.

He's be my choice to take us past round one and two.

That's just me.

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

D28V8DNUwAYi0mH.jpg

even in Smith's wins this year.. we almost always get scored on in the first 10 minutes of a game and end up playing catch up.. sometimes it seems to get us into the game but I'd probably lean to starting Rittich for the first 10 minutes of every game and playing it by feel the rest of the game

2 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I am absolutely thrilled that the Flames are going to be in the play-offs.

The goaltending can always be better, but I personally don't have a favourite for the play-offs, nor will I over worry if both of them have to be used during the run.

We've been through how many "stop gaps" since Kipper? It's been painful.

I've been saying this for awhile. Smith has been a very admirable "stop gap".

A stop gap that works, finally.

Rittich and Smith are interchangeable imho.

2 good looks.

The best part is, they get along great. Smith the aging vet, Rittich the patient student.

When you consider we all thought Smith was a stop gap. He lit the world on fire to start, so that became the new expectation.

Yr 2, here comes a starter for him to teach. Looking good.

On the whole, I'd say Smith did exactly what we wanted him to do.

If he starts, Rittich starts, I don't really care. Solid tandem.

I won't be offended if Smitty starts, put it that way.

We wanted him rested for the playoffs, well, here we are.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

We've been through how many "stop gaps" since Kipper? It's been painful.

I've been saying this for awhile. Smith has been a very admirable "stop gap".

A stop gap that works, finally.

Rittich and Smith are interchangeable imho.

2 good looks.

The best part is, they get along great. Smith the aging vet, Rittich the patient student.

When you consider we all thought Smith was a stop gap. He lit the world on fire to start, so that became the new expectation.

Yr 2, here comes a starter for him to teach. Looking good.

On the whole, I'd say Smith did exactly what we wanted him to do.

If he starts, Rittich starts, I don't really care. Solid tandem.

I won't be offended if Smitty starts, put it that way.

We wanted him rested for the playoffs, well, here we are.

It’s why I was saying don’t be surprised to see this same tandem for the next 1-2 years. Smitty has been solid but he has his scars...I do think he’s played a small part in keeping our D men healthier. His stick handling is noteworthy even if risky....but it really is a unique skill that can create chances for our offence or help out our D 

2 minutes ago, rickross said:

It’s why I was saying don’t be surprised to see this same tandem for the next 1-2 years. Smitty has been solid but he has his scars...I do think he’s played a small part in keeping our D men healthier. His stick handling is noteworthy even if risky....but it really is a unique skill that can create chances for our offence or help out our D 

Smith's year to year contracts now. Kind of a Howard situation.

I tend to agree, but yearly contracts.

If he explodes on the playoff scene, becomes a Cup goalie, that's a tough one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rickross said:

I actually don’t think the D play a tough enough game to get the injuries other teams get. They’ve also been one of the least injury riddled teams in years. I don’t actually know if it’s due to physicality or due to being in really good shape. So I think it’s ok that smith helps, but I don’t think injuries have anything to do with it.

28 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I actually don’t think the D play a tough enough game to get the injuries other teams get. They’ve also been one of the least injury riddled teams in years. I don’t actually know if it’s due to physicality or due to being in really good shape. So I think it’s ok that smith helps, but I don’t think injuries have anything to do with it.

I’m just saying by Smith playing the puck or setting screens throughout the game it saves our D from taking hits deep in our zone from opposing forecheckers. It also creates chances off the rush...it’s a unique goalie skill exclusive to the Flames right now. I’m thinking he does more to prevent injury to our D men then any other goalie