s4xon

7 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

This..

I gotta say this has been extremely hard to watch. Smith is struggling , 99% in his own head .

The time is here to see what we have . before we go jumping on trades and such, Smith needs to  get the Holtby treatment .

Give Rittich the reigns, Smith gets backup duty . If Rittich stumbles, then fine , start looking at options , but Rittich has earned the right to see what kind of load he can carry.

Ironic thing is , if there is any team that can snap Smith out of a funk, its Edmonton , but in light of everything Rittich needs to get that start .

Around the league, goalies are dropping like flies.. the trade options are NOT good.. if we feel we need a new one , off season is the time , unless you want to badly overpay 

..and I swear to God, now that Crawford is back if they bring in Ward I'll lose my mind..lol

Mrazek may be a roll-the-dice option to consider.  Surely he wouldn't cost much.

Three headed monster is only that way if you have three playing regularly or need to get one guy in.

Bring in a third goalie and relegate Smith to eating popcorn.

Let him work his way back into the picture.

Right now, you can't even tell if he is able to battle back.

Give Rittich the majority of starts right now.  If Smith is coming back in, then you get the feeling it's a scheduled loss.  That's what it feels like.

It's why I am suggesting the 3-headed monster.

Not great, but we can't keep losing.

No idea if Smith has lost it or will ever get back to last year early season MVP status.

10 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think this season was going to be the decision time on Smith . If he was playing like last year , Id say there'd be a very real opinion to sign him back to at least a 1 year deal and use him with an even lighter workload.. but right now you could be looking at a guy that just doesn't have it anymore . Like i said just earlier , its in his own head.. the body is just fine.

I would be very easy to convince we could target a player like Varlamov in UFA after the season ..BOB is too expensive and to me anyway , just a bad contract waiting to happen 

I disagree about Smith being in the picture past his contract. Gilles and Parsons are hitting the age where they will need to be tried before anything is brought in from outside IMO. There simply isn't anyone good or better to be had so use this time wisely. If BT is going to be hard nosed and Smith's play continues to be bad release him. I like this group of players, our defense is rounding into shape and with a few changes up front our forwards should be good both O and D. This should all be considered when bringing in young Goalies.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Mrazek may be a roll-the-dice option to consider.  Surely he wouldn't cost much.

Three headed monster is only that way if you have three playing regularly or need to get one guy in.

Bring in a third goalie and relegate Smith to eating popcorn.

Let him work his way back into the picture.

Right now, you can't even tell if he is able to battle back.

Give Rittich the majority of starts right now.  If Smith is coming back in, then you get the feeling it's a scheduled loss.  That's what it feels like.

It's why I am suggesting the 3-headed monster.

Not great, but we can't keep losing.

No idea if Smith has lost it or will ever get back to last year early season MVP status.

That could be an option , I'm not as opposed to the 3 headed monster as some, just that Hartley played his badly .ran with Hiller even tho he kept losing , ignored Ortio... that same year the Islanders had top 10 goaltending with one .

Whats really unfortunate is Gillies isnt banging on the door from Stockton this season , if he were playing lights out this would be a homemade solution . He's blowing a golden opportunity right now .

For now , they need to play win-and-your-in.. with the only exceptions being if we lose despite the goalie playing well. Personally , I think not going right back to Rittich after a shutout sent a bad message . I get he's the backup , but he needed to be rewarded . That needs to start now .

The absolute WORST thing they can do right now , is bring in another "starter".. not until Rittich loses the job , if you do that you may as well include Rittich in the deal too .

We saw in Washington last year what happens when your starter loses his job , and gets a window to get it back. I think there's one last run in Smith , just need to mine it out of him .  If he were slow, getting beaten clean , it would be one thing , but hes not . Pucks are going through him.. he's leaving hole he doesn't normally leave .. thats mental. He may or may not get it back, but a sit and a stint as backup would certainly be one way .

I recall Holtby explaining the backup goes through a different practice, off ice regimen  than a starter .. and that it really helped him get his head back .

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I disagree about Smith being in the picture past his contract. Gilles and Parsons are hitting the age where they will need to be tried before anything is brought in from outside IMO. There simply isn't anyone good or better to be had so use this time wisely. If BT is going to be hard nosed and Smith's play continues to be bad release him. I like this group of players, our defense is rounding into shape and with a few changes up front our forwards should be good both O and D. This should all be considered when bringing in young Goalies.

I'm not saying that was the plan , but , if Smith were playing right now like he did at this time last year , it would be hard to argue with the thought of a 1 year deal .. at the end of the season of course .

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm not saying that was the plan , but , if Smith were playing right now like he did at this time last year , it would be hard to argue with the thought of a 1 year deal .. at the end of the season of course .

Why ? Why have him block the youth that should be ready by then ? Let's be honest we got what 4 months out of him last season and what we are getting now. I wouldn't keep pinning my team's hope on Smith any longer.

19 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

That could be an option , I'm not as opposed to the 3 headed monster as some, just that Hartley played his badly .ran with Hiller even tho he kept losing , ignored Ortio... that same year the Islanders had top 10 goaltending with one .

Whats really unfortunate is Gillies isnt banging on the door from Stockton this season , if he were playing lights out this would be a homemade solution . He's blowing a golden opportunity right now .

For now , they need to play win-and-your-in.. with the only exceptions being if we lose despite the goalie playing well. Personally , I think not going right back to Rittich after a shutout sent a bad message . I get he's the backup , but he needed to be rewarded . That needs to start now .

The absolute WORST thing they can do right now , is bring in another "starter".. not until Rittich loses the job , if you do that you may as well include Rittich in the deal too .

We saw in Washington last year what happens when your starter loses his job , and gets a window to get it back. I think there's one last run in Smith , just need to mine it out of him .  If he were slow, getting beaten clean , it would be one thing , but hes not . Pucks are going through him.. he's leaving hole he doesn't normally leave .. thats mental. He may or may not get it back, but a sit and a stint as backup would certainly be one way .

I recall Holtby explaining the backup goes through a different practice, off ice regimen  than a starter .. and that it really helped him get his head back .

I guess what I was alluding to is basically a two goalie system, with Smith out of the picture until he's able to battle his way back in.

I don't think that very realistic, but I don't know another way.

42 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Why ? Why have him block the youth that should be ready by then ? Let's be honest we got what 4 months out of him last season and what we are getting now. I wouldn't keep pinning my team's hope on Smith any longer.

we might be missing each others point. LOL.  as it sits right now , No .. I wouldn't be thinking of extending him..  I'm saying IF he were playing Vezina quality , and continued to do so to the end of the season , we'd be silly to not look at it.

But he's not , and looking more and more like he won't .. so no , wouldn't be doing it . If this continues, its Rittich, Gillies next year .. or we go get another one.

Nashville just re-upped Rinne , hes basically the same age ..why ?  because hes still at/near the top of his game ..nobody accused Nashville of "blocking " Saros 

Just saying i doubt we took on 2 years with the closed mindset that he was done when it was over . Just that (BT thought) worst case scenario the kids would be ready if Smith was "done" by the end 

I should add too, right now it's Rittich's turn to try and take over heavier load #1 duties... if he cant ,  I have 0 faith right now that Gillies can .. and its too soon for Parsons ..  so either Rittich becomes a #1, or hes backing up a new acquisition next year 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

we might be missing each others point. LOL.  as it sits right now , No .. I wouldn't be thinking of extending him..  I'm saying IF he were playing Vezina quality , and continued to do so to the end of the season , we'd be silly to not look at it.

But he's not , and looking more and more like he won't .. so no , wouldn't be doing it . If this continues, its Rittich, Gillies next year .. or we go get another one.

Nashville just re-upped Rinne , hes basically the same age ..why ?  because hes still at/near the top of his game ..nobody accused Nashville of "blocking " Saros 

Just saying i doubt we took on 2 years with the closed mindset that he was done when it was over . Just that (BT thought) worst case scenario the kids would be ready if Smith was "done" by the end 

I should add too, right now it's Rittich's turn to try and take over heavier load #1 duties... if he cant ,  I have 0 faith right now that Gillies can .. and its too soon for Parsons ..  so either Rittich becomes a #1, or hes backing up a new acquisition next year 

NAS does a lot of stupid things and extending Renne could end up being one of them. Right now they have a good solid duo and are closer to a SC than this team.

I have said since the offseason that Rittich should be the back up and should get more games this season to advance his progress. Hopefully you are down on Gilles from what is going on in Stockton, that defense is deplorable. You have progress these guys and IMO age, development state and timing line up.

Past this season we currently have no answers in net. Smith will be gone, Gillies can't even play consistently in the AHL or stay healthy, Parsons isn't having the impact we were hoping for. Rittich is our only chance internally of having a number 1 next year.

It's time to run with him see what we have in him and see what he can do. At the same Smith could probably benefit from the extra practice time that comes with not playing everyday.

What is Sean Burke doing these days? He was always good with goalies.

Smith has always relied on his athleticism, but now that he is getting older and slower, he needs to transition to becoming much more of a blocking style goalie, and that is something that he just needs to work on in practice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Past this season we currently have no answers in net. Smith will be gone, Gillies can't even play consistently in the AHL or stay healthy, Parsons isn't having the impact we were hoping for. Rittich is our only chance internally of having a number 1 next year.

It's time to run with him see what we have in him and see what he can do. At the same Smith could probably benefit from the extra practice time that comes with not playing everyday.

Smith has always relied on his athleticism, but now that he is getting older and slower, he needs to transition to becoming much more of a blocking style goalie, and that is something that he just needs to work on in practice.

Like everything else its early but for some worry and panic will always exist. There will be options come next offseason, maybe not great or better options but afew worth trying if there is no faith to go with what we have in the pipe.

57 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Like everything else its early but for some worry and panic will always exist. There will be options come next offseason, maybe not great or better options but afew worth trying if there is no faith to go with what we have in the pipe.

We need to figure out what we have in Rittich before we go spending more money on aging stop gaps.

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

and FWIW, Friedman said today he believes Calgary is on Bobrovsky's No trade list. 

That's so awesome that Rittich is getting the start tomorrow. I think the Flames would have had to give up too much to get Bobrovsky anyways:o So I guess keep Rittich as starter until he falters?

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No details though.  NMC could mean the whole league is on his list.  Or could simply mean cannot be placed on waivers and get sent down to the minors.

Generally a NMC means he can't be moved anywhere without his say so unless otherwise stipulated by a NTC, it looks like he doesn't have a NTC as part of his NMC so he can't be moved anywhere without his consent.

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No details though.  NMC could mean the whole league is on his list.  Or could simply mean cannot be placed on waivers and get sent down to the minors.

NMC means he has to ok any move. Trade, waivers whatever.

Friedman said he believes Columbus has asked him for a list of trades he would be ok to be moved to and the Flames are not on that list.  

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

NMC means he has to ok any move. Trade, waivers whatever.

Friedman said he believes Columbus has asked him for a list of trades he would be ok to be moved to and the Flames are not on that list.  

I get that Friedman say he thinks CGY on not on his list of teams to trade with, but that's just an opinion.  There's no basis for it.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Parsons has an injury and hasn't played in some time.  Only has 3 ghames all season.  He didn't look good in his starts, but then again nobody has.

Great reporting Friedman... of course CGY is on Bob’s NTC. I can guarantee every Canadian team is on most guys No-trade list, cold climate and increased media attention are turn-offs for guys. That’s not to say Bob wouldn’t approve a move here because you just never know.

Anyway, maybe, just maybe Rittich can channel his inner Hellebuyck. Remember how a couple seasons ago WPG gave Hellebuyck the reigns and he faltered massively. He started last season as the backup to Mason, a year older and experienced Helly was given the chance to take the reigns and made good on the opportunity and got him self a 30+ mill deal out of it. I realize that Rittich isn’t as heralded as Hellebuyck, but I don’t think it’s out of the question that he plays well like what went down in WPG last season

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Great reporting Friedman... of course CGY is on Bob’s NTC. I can guarantee every Canadian team is on most guys No-trade list, cold climate and increased media attention are turn-offs for guys. That’s not to say Bob wouldn’t approve a move here because you just never know.

Anyway, maybe, just maybe Rittich can channel his inner Hellebuyck. Remember how a couple seasons ago WPG gave Hellebuyck the reigns and he faltered massively. He started last season as the backup to Mason, a year older and experienced Helly was given the chance to take the reigns and made good on the opportunity and got him self a 30+ mill deal out of it. I realize that Rittich isn’t as heralded as Hellebuyck, but I don’t think it’s out of the question that he plays well like what went down in WPG last season

The problem is are flames fans patient enough to go through a "lets see" season? Especially if it turns out Ritter doesnt handle the workload?

5 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

The problem is are flames fans patient enough to go through a "lets see" season? Especially if it turns out Ritter doesnt handle the workload?

I’m not sure if he will have that much rope this season. He had a chance last season and he didn’t get it done. I’m gonna guess if it doesn’t work out this time BT adds a goalie, seeing as though he is likely out of a job if he misses the playoffs this season