s4xon

32 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Rinne just extended. I wonder if that makes Saros available? 

Somehow I doubt it.  They have that duo locked up for the next 2 seasons after this.

I would overpay for him this year if that was the case.

Can;t begin to think of a trade scenario that would work.

Picks and prospects and a goalie back to them?  They have cap space.

Smith as part of that?

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Rittich gets the start tonight versus Chicago. Which IMO is the right call.

I think it's the only call.

You have to consider the team in front of him and what that says to them.

The unortunate thing is the next game is against Anaheim on Wednesday followed by LA dn SJS on Saturday/Sunday.

He won starts against ANA, but his most recent game against them was 3 goals on 11 shots.  Lasted 2 periods.

Smith doesn;t have a great record against SJS, but does against LA.

Thinking ahead, but the starts need to be managed well.

8 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

But only for 2yrs so doubt Soros available because he is the future.

That's the most likely answer. Especially if Rinne is happy reducing his workload. But it wouldn't be the strangest thing to see Nashville trade Saros after extending their starter. 

Smith in starter's net today at practice.

Will get the start against Anaheim.

I think it's the right call, only because he's played well against them in the past.  

Was responsible for our first victory in Anaheim in, like, forever.

The only things I don't like about this choice is that it sets up him playing in LA or SJ, and his last game against ANA was not good. 

• Does the team have to come up with another 3rd period comeback due to leaky goaltending?  Difficult with Gibson in net. 
  • Will Smith the Good show up Wednesday?  Haven't seen much of him this year.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Smith in starter's net today at practice.

Will get the start against Anaheim.

I think it's the right call, only because he's played well against them in the past.  

Was responsible for our first victory in Anaheim in, like, forever.

The only things I don't like about this choice is that it sets up him playing in LA or SJ, and his last game against ANA was not good. 

• Does the team have to come up with another 3rd period comeback due to leaky goaltending?  Difficult with Gibson in net. 

I'd go Rittich in 2/3 to be honest. Gotta get him used to it. He's been excellent on the road historically.

Smith has things to relearn. The starter's net isn't where I want to see him doing that.

If Rittich is playing well, ride him. This is the exact time where you can use the backup effectively and keep Smith's GP down.

Smith can work into season form and not be a liability.

It's right there, easy to see.

Ride Rittich on the road, save Smith when the opportunity is there.

Smith is the starter, no doubt. But USE YOUR PLAYING WELL BACKUP. Take advantage when it's there. It might not be there at game 40.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We actually catch a bit of a break with ANA playing LA tonight. No travel for them I know, but as bad as the Kings have been this season, they absolutely hate the Ducks. LA is gonna play them very tough as they always do. Gibson most likely gets the start against LA, and we likely draw Miller tomorrow 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'd go Rittich in 2/3 to be honest. Gotta get him used to it. He's been excellent on the road historically.

Smith has things to relearn. The starter's net isn't where I want to see him doing that.

If Rittich is playing well, ride him. This is the exact time where you can use the backup effectively and keep Smith's GP down.

Smith can work into season form and not be a liability.

It's right there, easy to see.

Ride Rittich on the road, save Smith when the opportunity is there.

Smith is the starter, no doubt. But USE YOUR PLAYING WELL BACKUP. Take advantage when it's there. It might not be there at game 40.

If I had my drothers, I would have him start 2 of 3 as well.

It's not head games, it's reality.  He hasn't played well enough to be the 1st choice on a given night.

Unfortunately, this "smells" like Sigalet or Smith deciding the rotation.

The coach only knows what he's seen.

One guy 4-1-0, the other 5-4-1.

One guy had to mop up in a blowout to PITTS, which cratered his stats.

Rittich's only loss was a 3-2 loss to MTL.

I'm not going to freak out about this.  If he doesn;t win in ANA, then I don't think you can go back to him in the B2B.

Our best chance for a win is in ANA and LA.

Can;t be dropping any because we went with the starter just because.

Was listening to "The Big Show" yesterday, and they were talking about the possibility that Rittich might get B2B games if Smith Struggles against Anaheim.  The schedule is light before and after the B2B games, so it does make some sense.  Against Anaheim, I feel the team needs to make it impossible for Anaheim to get high danger shots through.  I just have very little confidence in Smith, and the only way he's going to win this game is if the Flames play the best defensive game of the year and push enough at 5v5 to force ANA to take penalties.  He had one good game in ANA last season, and that was when he was playing at a MVP level.  His other good one was in CGY.

Mike Smith is continuing his very random stat of being good-great on the road and terrible at home. Wasn't the case when he was a Coyote. 

Away: 11-7  2.17 GAA .937 Save

Home: 14-15  2.97    9.01

Away: 2-2  2.75  .912

Home:  3-2   4.34  .840

49 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Mike Smith is continuing his very random stat of being good-great on the road and terrible at home. Wasn't the case when he was a Coyote. 

Away: 11-7  2.17 GAA .937 Save

Home: 14-15  2.97    9.01

Away: 2-2  2.75  .912

Home:  3-2   4.34  .840

Here's a random observation about home versus away (sound familiar?).

Home - Smith's pads are a solid bright red target.

Away - Smith's pads are white with black/red vertical edges on the ouside.

Rittich's home pads are white with multi-color design in the middle portion, but mostly white.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Here's a random observation about home versus away (sound familiar?).

Home - Smith's pads are a solid bright red target.

Away - Smith's pads are white with black/red vertical edges on the ouside.

Rittich's home pads are white with multi-color design in the middle portion, but mostly white.

IIRC, he did the same thing in Arizona (different colored pads) and it wasn't an issue. No drastic difference home vs away. 

Just now, cross16 said:

IIRC, he did the same thing in Arizona (different colored pads) and the splits weren't different. Were actually reversed the year he came here. 

Not specific to a goalie, but we had the same discussion with Elliott about his choice of pads at home.  He actually went to a less dramatic color.  And I believe (offhand observation based on no evidence) that the Flames home record hasn't been good in years.

40 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think the NHL should regulate goalie pad color.  Specifically, all goalies have to wear black pads.  It helps shooters spot openings with their peripheral vision and that translates to more goals.

No. No they shouldn't.

Why don't we just use all star shot-accuracy boards for goalies?

They've decreased equipment size, jfk man, give the goalies something.

15 minutes ago, kehatch said:

1) Fire Sigalet.

2) Pick up ANY NHL caliber goalie. Whoever you get is going to be better then Smith is. 

3) Park Smith in the AHL.

4) If you forgot step 1 then damn well do step 1. Then ground yourself for forgetting step 1. At least a week with no cell phone. 

:D:P<_<<_<:mad:

1) Mason was looking for a starter.  IIRC, he wasn;t any worse than Smith.

2) Trade Smth and Ryan to BOS for Rask.

Throw in Stone.

Add a prospect.

3) Trade a 1st for Bob.

4) Hire a former goalie as the goalie coach.  

5) Move Sigalet to a role as shooter development.

Season saved.