s4xon

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I used to love the chemistry you could see with Brodie and Mony when Brodie was on the RD. Brodie could find Mony in the slot from one side, JG from the other.

WOW unbelieveable how GG is getting all the blame on a player's performance. It was just pointed out in another thread that Brodie moved to the LS when Giordano went down and played some of his best hockey "on the LSD" so maybe focus on whether Brodie and Hamonic (both good defensemen) should play together. This may be more of the situation than can Brodie play the LS.

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

WOW unbelieveable how GG is getting all the blame on a player's performance. It was just pointed out in another thread that Brodie moved to the LS when Giordano went down and played some of his best hockey "on the LSD" so maybe focus on whether Brodie and Hamonic (both good defensemen) should play together. This may be more of the situation than can Brodie play the LS.

i do not believe all of it is GG.  However i do believe GG is having an impact on ALL players performances in negative way and that does include Brodie.  (perhaps Brodie a bit more than others)

Brodie has had issues ever since being split from Gio. 

Part of this is attempting to build chemistry with new defence partner. (or having wideman as d-partner)

Part is attempting to adjust to new goalie every year

Part is own personal issues away from game.

I think a lot of people are just pointing out how stubborn GG is in terms of Brodie played RD all career, and even to try to help him back on track/build confidence wont even try on right side for a game or 2 to try to get him rolling again.  Personally i think GG is smothering a lot of players careers not just and not specifically Brodie.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JustAFlamer said:

i do not believe all of it is GG.  However i do believe GG is having an impact on ALL players performances in negative way and that does include Brodie.  (perhaps Brodie a bit more than others)

Brodie has had issues ever since being split from Gio. 

Part of this is attempting to build chemistry with new defence partner. (or having wideman as d-partner)

Part is attempting to adjust to new goalie every year

Part is own personal issues away from game.

I think a lot of people are just pointing out how stubborn GG is in terms of Brodie played RD all career, and even to try to help him back on track/build confidence wont even try on right side for a game or 2 to try to get him rolling again.  Personally i think GG is smothering a lot of players careers not just and not specifically Brodie.

Which players is he stifling ? GG was brought I here to implement a system of play that management wanted done. If Brodie is having a hard time adapting to what is wanted maybe he should traded for better results. I think the whole team has been playing better lately.

6 hours ago, MAC331 said:

You have no appreciation for what is being worked on as an organization.

Please explain to the class what is being worked on by the organization. I'd love to hear that master plan. :rolleyes:

What we saw as changes for both the short & long term somehow seems not to be working. People complained abou D Sutter trading draft picks but are giving BT a pass for that. Difference is as GM Sutter got his team to the payoffs every year.

14 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Please explain to the class what is being worked on by the organization. I'd love to hear that master plan. :rolleyes:

What we saw as changes for both the short & long term somehow seems not to be working. People complained abou D Sutter trading draft picks but are giving BT a pass for that. Difference is as GM Sutter got his team to the payoffs every year.

Well we are not out of the playoffs yet. As a fan all I can do is watch the team and cheer for them. We have been told they are wanting more of a possession game much like the one PIT and some other teams play now. Perhaps our lack of success is due to a lack of maturity and enough experience to carry out the mandate. Management is here to manage, coaches need to coach and players need to execute. If the whole organization has it wrong the I guess the owners will need to change it up. I can guarantee you the Sutter ship has sailed and there will not be a return. I didn't expect this team "as is" to win the SC and I expect them to be a better team next season whether that is with GG still at the helm, who knows.

We have a better possession game now, top 10 in the league I believe.  We have solid goaltending as well.  For all the talk about how bad our defense are, our Goals against/Game is right smack in the middle of the league.  The biggest issue is goals.  We rank 23rd in the nhl for goals/game.  So what gives?  Isn't a possession game supposed to correlate to more goals/wins?

It depends on how you measure possession.  The typical measurement is corsi, which compares shot attempts (including misses and blocks) between teams.  Calgary takes more shots than most, and is actually pretty decent at preventing shots as well.  The problem is that corsi (and other possession metrics) don't really take into account scoring chance quality.  This was highlighted for me in our last game against the ducks.  The flames were highly outplayed (according to anyone who watched that I know anyway), and were outshot 41-23.  But when you factor in blocked shots, we were only outshot 48-44.  Corsi would only give a slight edge to the ducks in that case.  So are the ducks just super good at blocking shots, or are the flames taking low probability shots from bad angles or the points because they have been coached to shoot from anywhere, because that's what drives possession stats?

In short, be careful what you wish for.  We wanted a possession game, well technically we got it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Carty said:

The Flames have 7 wins in their last 19 games...   If that's better, I would hate to see worse...

We have been losing a lot of well played games lately. If I had to point to anything lacking with this team it would be the lacking of hitting and ability to shutdown the opposition when required. We seem to just keep playing along with the same game no matter the situation.

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

We have been losing a lot of well played games lately. If I had to point to anything lacking with this team it would be the lacking of hitting and ability to shutdown the opposition when required. We seem to just keep playing along with the same game no matter the situation.

043a6750a4b3f699bf35022bcf452a1c.png
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ABC923 said:

We have a better possession game now, top 10 in the league I believe.  We have solid goaltending as well.  For all the talk about how bad our defense are, our Goals against/Game is right smack in the middle of the league.  The biggest issue is goals.  We rank 23rd in the nhl for goals/game.  So what gives?  Isn't a possession game supposed to correlate to more goals/wins?

It depends on how you measure possession.  The typical measurement is corsi, which compares shot attempts (including misses and blocks) between teams.  Calgary takes more shots than most, and is actually pretty decent at preventing shots as well.  The problem is that corsi (and other possession metrics) don't really take into account scoring chance quality.  This was highlighted for me in our last game against the ducks.  The flames were highly outplayed (according to anyone who watched that I know anyway), and were outshot 41-23.  But when you factor in blocked shots, we were only outshot 48-44.  Corsi would only give a slight edge to the ducks in that case.  So are the ducks just super good at blocking shots, or are the flames taking low probability shots from bad angles or the points because they have been coached to shoot from anywhere, because that's what drives possession stats?

In short, be careful what you wish for.  We wanted a possession game, well technically we got it.

Keeping the puck away from the opposition is only one important aspect of the game. I think your question about "are we generating quality scoring chances" and I would say no.

We see a lot of one to many passes and a lot of poor passing in the O zone so we are in between and wasting good shooting opportunities. I heard this once when playing SJ how they "funnel" their shooting towards the net mostly by the D once in the O zone. This is where a lot of the higher quality scoring chances will happen but we are mostly on the perimeters with our wingers and our defensemen. We have defensemen that are good shooters from the points and maybe should be taking better advantage within a tight V in front of the net. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

I don't want to sound like I'm constantly piling on GG, I just wish he would try different things. He just keeps doing the same thing over and over waiting and believing it will pay off eventually. But what if eventually never happens?

2 teams have played the entire season with less minutes in the lead than us.

Those teams are Buffalo and Arizona. 30th and 31st, respectively.

Couple that with GG not being one to shorten his bench much, it just doesn't seem like a good formula to me. I get that you need your top 9 fresh if you get an opportunity for a PP or O-zone faceoff with time dwindling, but the formula has not been successful to date. While most of us concede we're playing well in losing, if we decide nothing needs adjusting, I'm afraid that first pick for the Isles is going to creep higher and higher.

Smith is the only one keeping our heads above water, it's asking a lot for that to continue.

Although JG and Mony had 2 pts each in the last game, they've been rutting hard. Is that due to the woes of the PP?

Watching Mony ditch off to Ferland last game was particularly hard to watch. He's shooting 18%, near 1 in 5 is going in. How is it he doesn't look confident enough right now?

Is the PP having the same effect on the players that it's having on the fans?

I don't have answers, but there are too many questions imho.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I don't want to sound like I'm constantly piling on GG, I just wish he would try different things. He just keeps doing the same thing over and over waiting and believing it will pay off eventually. But what if eventually never happens?

2 teams have played the entire season with less minutes in the lead than us.

Those teams are Buffalo and Arizona. 30th and 31st, respectively.

Couple that with GG not being one to shorten his bench much, it just doesn't seem like a good formula to me. I get that you need your top 9 fresh if you get an opportunity for a PP or O-zone faceoff with time dwindling, but the formula has not been successful to date. While most of us concede we're playing well in losing, if we decide nothing needs adjusting, I'm afraid that first pick for the Isles is going to creep higher and higher.

Smith is the only one keeping our heads above water, it's asking a lot for that to continue.

Although JG and Mony had 2 pts each in the last game, they've been rutting hard. Is that due to the woes of the PP?

Watching Mony ditch off to Ferland last game was particularly hard to watch. He's shooting 18%, near 1 in 5 is going in. How is it he doesn't look confident enough right now?

Is the PP having the same effect on the players that it's having on the fans?

I don't have answers, but there are too many questions imho.

My issues with GG began with the start of the season and not trying Tkachuk with Bennett. If we were ever going to have 3 effective lines with scoring ability this should have been at least a thought. My other issue was why bring in Jagr and not use him with JG and SM so you could move Ferland to play with MB and MF. GG will never win the creativity award for sure. I do like the move of Bennett to LW and having Jankowski play top  minutes but I would leave Jagr with those two. Mabe this belongs in Lines and Pairings thread.

BTW our goaltending has been fantastic LOL

34 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The big question...Will we give Rittich more starts? Are we confident enough now that we don't have to ride Smith hard to the end?

Is another 15 starts realistic?

It's what you need to do.  You can;t risk losing Smith by playing him over 60 games.  

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's what you need to do.  You can;t risk losing Smith by playing him over 60 games.  

That would land Smith at 60. I'm assuming he'll land closer to 70.

Not my choice, just assuming.

Does Rittich have a medical condition? It has to be something. Why the kid gloves?

Here's what I see...

We have a great D on paper. They LOOK great when Rittich is in net, not so great with Smith, but Smith can win by himself, so the point is kind of a wash.

But only if Smith can stay mad enough to win alone.

Pretty sure Smith's puckhandling is inconsistent, Rittich's is non-existent.

Which is a better plan, or is it great that our 2 goalies are so different?

22 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That would land Smith at 60. I'm assuming he'll land closer to 70.

Not my choice, just assuming.

Does Rittich have a medical condition? It has to be something. Why the kid gloves?

Here's what I see...

We have a great D on paper. They LOOK great when Rittich is in net, not so great with Smith, but Smith can win by himself, so the point is kind of a wash.

But only if Smith can stay mad enough to win alone.

Pretty sure Smith's puckhandling is inconsistent, Rittich's is non-existent.

Which is a better plan, or is it great that our 2 goalies are so different?

Here's the thing.  They trust Rittich enough to play him in game 2 of a B2B, and previously game 1 of a B2B. 

There's a risk by playing him over 60.  He would start in every game but one of each of the remaining B2B's to hit 70.  

If you have no backup capable (like EDM last season), then you play him 70.  He's going to have to be your #1 in playoffs.

He's only ever play 67 games in his younger days.    

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I apologize, I dropped an "e" in his name when there wasn't one.

Roman Durny.

IMHO arguably the best goalie at World Juniors.     And undrafted.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=275725

Undrafted, as in a FA this year?  Or available to the 2018 draft?

If he goes into the draft, we would have to use our first pick in the 3rd or 4th.  Think he would still be there?

Wondering how much you watch this guy.  Great in the WJC.  2 games in USHL.

The reason I ask is one name that comes to mind...Justin Pogge.

Not being insulting, just don't know if he's worth spending a pick or contract on.