s4xon

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Ok.. so youre the Flames GM.. ownership has just told you to go All in and win a cup in the next  2 years, preferably this year.

I would tell ownership they're nuts, or have Brian Burke do it for me.   

This goes against everything the Flames committed to as part of the rebuild.

Bad career move?  with direction like that, you're on borrowed time either way.

***I wouldn't go specifically after MAF or Bishop anyway.  But I'd be interested in why they wouldn't come here.  It would probably involve a need to shore up Defense.   Which I would have done Prior to pursuing a goalie.

-I've got lists I would have gone for in here, but I probably would have looked at acquiring Juuse Saros, Ilya Samonov, Tristan Jarry, Robin Lehner,  Filip Gustavsson,  etc.

People were way too caught up on the expansion draft

6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

-I've got lists I would have gone for in here, but I probably would have looked at acquiring Juuse Saros, Ilya Samonov, Tristan Jarry, Robin Lehner,  Filip Gustavsson,  etc.

I don't dispute any of those players as a good guy to bring in to turn into a starter.

Saros would likely be an expensive trade, so you would probably have to do a 1st.

The other guys?  Not really sure.

But that would also have to include signing a FA goalie to be the fall back or 1a option.  It's one thing to continue a rebuild, but another to risk on a young starter.  He fails and you are in lottery territory.

13 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I would tell ownership they're nuts, or have Brian Burke do it for me.   

Bad career move?  with direction like that, you're on borrowed time either way.

***I wouldn't go specifically after MAF or Bishop anyway.  But I'd be interested in why they wouldn't come here.  It would probably involve a need to shore up Defense.   Which I would have done Prior to pursuing a goalie.

People were way too caught up on the expansion draft

My guess is that none of those goalies are available, and Lehner and maybe Saros are the only ones who are ready to be full time starters, the rest aren't even ready for backup duty in the NHL.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

My guess is that none of those goalies are available, and Lehner and maybe Saros are the only ones who are ready to be full time starters, the rest aren't even ready for backup duty in the NHL.

They are ready if youre JJ. All joking aside, im assuming jarry will be the backup in pittsbugh next year.

17 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

We didnt ruin the rebuild by trading for smith and hamonic, we have plenty of guys in the pipe. If anything this just took us a step forward without really giving anything away. Lets be honest here the first rounder next year probably a few years away, same thing with the 2nd rounders, so everyone can be upset about trading picks, but we arent talking guys who would help with the rebuild or help the team for a couple years more then likely.

3 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

They are ready if youre JJ. All joking aside, im assuming jarry will be the backup in pittsbugh next year.

We didnt ruin the rebuild by trading for smith and hamonic, we have plenty of guys in the pipe. If anything this just took us a step forward without really giving anything away. Lets be honest here the first rounder next year probably a few years away, same thing with the 2nd rounders, so everyone can be upset about trading picks, but we arent talking guys who would help with the rebuild or help the team for a couple years more then likely.

Pittsburgh has said that Jarry will need another year of development in the AHL.

19 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I think if you were upset about the price of Hamonic you'd be even more upset abuot what those guys would cost. 

I also happen to think Robin Lehner is really overrated. Smith is a better goalie IMO. 

Smith Lehner.PNG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't dispute any of those players as a good guy to bring in to turn into a starter.

Saros would likely be an expensive trade, so you would probably have to do a 1st.

The other guys?  Not really sure.

But that would also have to include signing a FA goalie to be the fall back or 1a option.  It's one thing to continue a rebuild, but another to risk on a young starter.  He fails and you are in lottery territory.

We just might have to do a first.  For a guy with his whole career ahead of him, why not, with a ceiling like that in a position like that.

But we can't, because we got Hamonic.   As much as I like Hamonic, that's basically why I don't like that trade (in a nutshell).

If you're going to swing around the first round draft picks, it should really count for something.

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

We just might have to do a first.  For a guy with his whole career ahead of him, why not, with a ceiling like that in a position like that.

Im curious what you think of gillies and parsons? What would be the point of trading a 1st for a guy like saros, when gillies or parsons might be ready in a year or two. Sure you could have the internal competition two of them battling it out, but why not address defence with the 1st and get a stop gap till those two are ready.

Early predictions are: Chad Johnson to Buffalo, Brian Elliott to Philadelphia, Steve Mason to Winnipeg, Ryan Miller to Anaheim, Antti Niemi to Pittsburgh, Anders Nilsson to Vancouver.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-free-agency-buzz-rumblings-around-league/

That from Elliott Friedman. Intersting for 2 reasons. 1 sounds like NIlsson may not be an option, but interestingly enough Bernier is absent from that list. I'm not his biggest fan but on a 1 year deal he is a solid option as a backup and the fact that he may not be drawing much interest is interesting. Could make him a possibility 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

That from Elliott Friedman. Intersting for 2 reasons. 1 sounds like NIlsson may not be an option, but interestingly enough Bernier is absent from that list. I'm not his biggest fan but on a 1 year deal he is a solid option as a backup and the fact that he may not be drawing much interest is interesting. Could make him a possibility 

A cheap backup I'd be interested in is Keith Kinkaid, wo played well for the Devils last season.

2 minutes ago, manu11 said:

A cheap backup I'd be interested in is Keith Kinkaid, wo played well for the Devils last season.

If Friedman's list is right, it's really down to Kinkaid and Bernier as the most sensible options via UFA. 

I don't mind Kinkaid, but I prefer Bernier. 

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

Is Kuemper still out there ?

he is, but i'm not really interested. If you can't put up at least avg stats playing behind one of the best team defenses in the league I don't think you are worth bringing here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If Friedman's list is right, it's really down to Kinkaid and Bernier as the most sensible options via UFA. 

Bernier would be fine as well, but he is probably going to cost you $2mil or more,  where I think you could get Kinkaid for half or less then that.

2 minutes ago, manu11 said:

Bernier would be fine as well, but he is probably going to cost you $2mil or more,  where I think you could get Kinkaid for half or less then that.

I'm not so sure I agree. I think his days as a starter are clearly done and he is a 1B at best. The fact that most of the teams looking for that appear to be pursuing other options make me thinks he isn't that sought after.

I would be comfortable paying him up to 2 million. What I like about Bernier is he has the ability to step up and play in the even of injury/inconsistent play, and play fairly well. I'm not sure Kinkaid has that. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I'm not so sure I agree. I think his days as a starter are clearly done and he is a 1B at best. The fact that most of the teams looking for that appear to be pursuing other options make me thinks he isn't that sought after.

I would be comfortable paying him up to 2 million. What I like about Bernier is he has the ability to step up and play in the even of injury/inconsistent play, and play fairly well. I'm not sure Kinkaid has that. 

I am not sure that I like Bernier after being in Toronto. Few goalies comes out of Toronto without requiring full-time psychological help. I think that he has confidence issues. At least we don't have that with Smith.

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Early predictions are: Chad Johnson to Buffalo, Brian Elliott to Philadelphia, Steve Mason to Winnipeg, Ryan Miller to Anaheim, Antti Niemi to Pittsburgh, Anders Nilsson to Vancouver.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-free-agency-buzz-rumblings-around-league/

We will have to see how the goalie market plays out, but I agree that Bernier could turn out to be one of the better options left on the table...   Not my first choice, but the options could be quite limited...

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Kinkaid is one of those guys who had a real workhorse in front of him in Schneider, so basically impossible to know if he can handle a 30+ game workload unless he gets the chance to prove it. The reason I prefer the cheap one over the more established Bernier, is that I had the hope we would sign a top6 vet and would need the money there. Although with the likely re-signing of Versteeg that might not be happening.

Guess it depends on salaries. I was surprised until I looked into it, but it looks like it's not very realistic to pay a backup under a mill. Seems all of them are getting more. 

It's close between Kinkaid and Bernier though, I just like Bernier's experience more, but it's close.

Kinkaid Bernier.PNG

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

yep, one thing we have learned about Bernier.. is when plays the 1b he steps in really well..   just gotta hope your starter doesnt go down in the playoffs

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

But we can't, because we got Hamonic.   As much as I like Hamonic, that's basically why I don't like that trade (in a nutshell).

If you're going to swing around the first round draft picks, it should really count for something.

Almost guaranteed a Saros also costs you a pipeline goalie  in the deal as well...    but its Moot because hes not being traded , they are grooming him to take over from Rinne

Grubauer looks like he may become available, but again .. high cost 

I mentioned him earlier , but an under the radar one could also be McElhinney. Since hes left us hes developed into a really good backup 

able to handle a load when needed, ..not lights out but reliable enough you dont have to sweat when he's in there .

He's not my 1st choice but if it ends up that way it wont depress me 

Plus he's under $1M

also wondering if Enroth falling off a cliff in TO was a blip or a warning sign otherwise Id be looking at him