s4xon

As of June 2017, some teams will lose very good goalies for nothing.  Elliott will be extended and protected before the end of the year. The smart choice would be to explore the cost to re-sign now and if reasonable, pull the trigger.

I know, it was an ironic observation. I like a short term deal under the circumstances. Good work from BT

Brian Elliot I get.    But we're starting to sign too many 30 year olds. 

We are in a need to improve the Flames mode. Rebuild is at least a year past. Our core is pretty much set for years from now.

I don't think the Flames see us as in a rebuild mode even last year. Our cupboards have not been bare for a few years now so the only need is to add a few more competing prospects.

So 30 years old, especially in net, is okay with the up and comers in the farm system.. We are good in nets I think for a few years and this gives our best prospects time to ripen and become what we envision them capable of.

We are in a need to improve the Flames mode. Rebuild is at least a year past. Our core is pretty much set for years from now.

I don't think the Flames see us as in a rebuild mode even last year. Our cupboards have not been bare for a few years now so the only need is to add a few more competing prospects.

So 30 years old, especially in net, is okay with the up and comers in the farm system.. We are good in nets I think for a few years and this gives our best prospects time to ripen and become what we envision them capable of.

Yeah, it's not just in net that we're doing the 30 year old thing...

Totally agree with the Elliot trade.  But Brower and Johnson are dead weight contracts imho.

Ortio stands a very high chance of making us regret.   Not saying he will, but wouldn't be surprised.

Totally agree with the Elliot trade.  But Brower and Johnson are dead weight contracts imho.

Ortio stands a very high chance of making us regret.   Not saying he will, but wouldn't be surprised.

It used to be that goalies were the last to mature. They used to peak at 30+ so having older goalies does not concern me that much. Both our pickups are on upswing or peaking.

Not many bargains on FA frenzy first day however we improved and filled some positions with a bit of leadership, experience and toughness too.

Not sure what to say about Ortio. While he was not given a huge chance to show what he is capable of, he was given opportunity. Making us regret? only if another team takes a chance on him and puts him in a starter role. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Totally agree with the Elliot trade. But Brower and Johnson are dead weight contracts imho.

Ortio stands a very high chance of making us regret. Not saying he will, but wouldn't be surprised.

Ortio won't get the chance to make us regret it. I am sure he will be in Finland next season. The fact that a 6th of the league signed a backup today and none signed him should tell you something.

As for the rest... Dead weight contracts? Johnson is one of the best backups in the NHL. None of our prospects are ready and 1 year contracts to both goalies gives us lots of flexibility to bring Gilles in as soon as he is ready.

Brouwer is a good top 9 forward with a lot too offer. I am not a huge fan of his contract and I would have preferred a cheaper option, but he is a good player filling a big need for the Flames. He certainly isn't dead weight.

That's 1 heck of a reach. We went from poor to respectable.

Can you name me 10 tandems that are better? Maybe they don't finish the year that way but from a skill and perspective standpoint im it sure I can find 10 tandems in the league better than Calgarys.

I agree on Ortio I think he is back in Finland. Let's remember that you could have had Ortio in trade probably all year, free on waivers and for the last week you could have negotiated a fit. The fact that no one in the league is jumping on this guy tells you what they think of him. I don't think flames will regret the decision on Ortio at all.

I think people make too much of age in goalies. Let's remember the flames have 3 good to very good goalie prospects and one so/so one. They are putting slot of young resources into the position at the junior levels and at the NHL level trying to be the best they can and forget about age. Makes sense for where they are right now IMO.

Can you name me 10 tandems that are better? Maybe they don't finish the year that way but from a skill and perspective standpoint im it sure I can find 10 tandems in the league better than Calgarys.

I agree on Ortio I think he is back in Finland. Let's remember that you could have had Ortio in trade probably all year, free on waivers and for the last week you could have negotiated a fit. The fact that no one in the league is jumping on this guy tells you what they think of him. I don't think flames will regret the decision on Ortio at all.

I think people make too much of age in goalies. Let's remember the flames have 3 good to very good goalie prospects and one so/so one. They are putting slot of young resources into the position at the junior levels and at the NHL level trying to be the best they can and forget about age. Makes sense for where they are right now IMO.

I don't know how anyone can be unhappy with our current goaltending situation, both Elliott and Johnson are solid for this year. At the end of next season we have a wide open situation, how is this a bad thing. I don't get some people.

• Like 2

I don't know how anyone can be unhappy with our current goaltending situation, both Elliott and Johnson are solid for this year. At the end of next season we have a wide open situation, how is this a bad thing. I don't get some people.

I agree. Seems some people have their favorites or a preconceived notion that when not met lead to blind criticism.

For me the Johnson signing was a bit of a surprise, altthough I can see the strategy behind the move. They got a guy that played very well last season after Buffalo's starter Lehner got injured. So if something happened to Elliott, you have a reliable backup in the net. The Flames probably wanted to sign him on the 1year deal, to keep all options in net for next season, hence the deal was closer to 2 million instead of 1.

I agree with the opinion that Ortio will play in Europe next season.

• Like 1

For me the Johnson signing was a bit of a surprise, altthough I can see the strategy behind the move. They got a guy that played very well last season after Buffalo's starter Lehner got injured. So if something happened to Elliott, you have a reliable backup in the net. The Flames probably wanted to sign him on the 1year deal, to keep all options in net for next season, hence the deal was closer to 2 million instead of 1.

or maybe he requested a 1 year deal because he wants to leave the possibility that he might find a club who is willing to play him as a starter.

or maybe he requested a 1 year deal because he wants to leave the possibility that he might find a club who is willing to play him as a starter.

That might be possible as well, maybe the two sides found their match:)

I think you always have to have an eye for the experience level you want for the job and Johnson certainly fits the bill.

I don't feel like going through 30 rosters but I'll mention that Price & any backup is better. Could say the same about Quick or Rask. Bishop/Vasilevskiiy come to mind as well.

That's 4 without really thinking on it.

Your pair is only as good as the starter because the backup plays only in mop up, when the stater wants a rest or in case of injury.

Neither of the goalies we signed is a true starter so instead of 3 (4 after Backstrom) sharing the crease we'll have 2. That's why both are on 1 year contracts as BT is unsure himself.

I don't feel like going through 30 rosters but I'll mention that Price & any backup is better. Could say the same about Quick or Rask. Bishop/Vasilevskiiy come to mind as well.

Your pair is only as good as the starter because the backup plays only in mop up, when the stater wants a rest or in case of injury.

Neither of the goalies we signed is a true starter so instead of 3 (4 after Backstrom) sharing the crease we'll have 2. That's why both are on 1 year contracts as BT is unsure himself.

I don't think that is true anymore. Teams are starting to migrate away from the workhorse starters towards tandems. On 7 goalies started more then 60 games. Makes sense since it insulates you from injury and it keeps your guy refreshed for the playoffs.

Both of the Flames new goalies played 40+ games last season with great numbers. We should be able to do a 50 30 split and be I good shape.

well if youre just going off last years stats, which i think is pretty fair since both goalies carried at least half the mail for their team,  that duo combined for a 2.22 GAA   in the equivalent of 80 games  (4854 min)

that would put them #1 ahead of Anaheim's 2.29

Now, of course I'm not expecting them to win the Jennings next year, but i think its safe to call them a top 10 Tandem 

• 4 weeks later...

That works even better.

I think BE and CJ are going to be a good team. BE has some questions as to how many games he can play but CJ played pretty well as the replacement starter for the Sabers. So if BE is injured or needs more rest, I'm pretty comfortable with CJ as a backup/relief option.

That works even better.

I think BE and CJ are going to be a good team. BE has some questions as to how many games he can play but CJ played pretty well as the replacement starter for the Sabers. So if BE is injured or needs more rest, I'm pretty comfortable with CJ as a backup/relief option.

You will soon enough hear the yells from fans of "Mooooose!!" after a nice save or Hrudey talkin about our goalie "John-stoning" a forward.  Okay, I am reaching with Johnson.  

• Like 1