s4xon

The "he wants him back" part?

From the looks of the offer, I think that ship has sailed.  We still have numerous options available from the remaining NHL goaltenders looking for work.  We are well positioned already for this season with very good options at the end of next season.

Sooo....what does this mean, Ortio's out?

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887606&navid=DL|CGY|home

:(

It means that they didn't want the arbitrator to decide the contract. It also (probably) means the Flames are at least considering an alternate backup. Which is fair in my opinion. I know you like Ortio a fair bit, but he hasn't proven he is ready to play 25+ games on a team interested in wins.

From the looks of the offer, I think that ship has sailed.  We still have numerous options available from the remaining NHL goaltenders looking for work.  We are well positioned already for this season with very good options at the end of next season.

It seems to me that this is BT's end game.  He's trimming things down and preparing for some bad contracts coming off the books at the end of the season.  He should be very well positioned to make significant moves next summer.

Well, it could be 850,000 2-way? He still gets paid the 850 while in the A.

I don't understand the need for a 2-way deal.  He faces waivers. so we save the full cap.  All you are doing is saving the owners money. Besides, no way is he going to accept $70k to play in the AHL on a 2-way deal.  He can head overseas and make more.

The Flames will test the waters on players like Hutton and Johnson between now and free agency. If they find something they like then this goes to July 1 and potentially beyond. If not, they sign Ortio to a 1 or 2 year value contract.

I don't see Ortio taking a 2 way. If I am him I don't care about the cap hit, but I insist on a 1 way contract to improve my chances of playing in the NHL. If that isn't give then I try free agency and potentially Finland if that doesn't work out.

Goalie list updated on the OP.

Glad the brass addressed the starter issue with Elliot.  Always liked the guy's playing style, and we'll see how he does with a new coach, and Calgary's D core implementing a new system.

It'll be interesting who they sign as a backup.  I've never been to high on Ortio, while others have. He's had his moments, but I've always likened him to Irving who just couldn't quite grab the reins.

I hope they don't jump the gun and bring Gilles up for a few games.  IMO I'd prefer to play the whole season in Stockton.

Bring on Hutton or Montoya.

Buy Orito a ticket to Finland.

I still prefer Kuemper, but I am on board with those two as well.

On a different note, we all know that Treliving appeared close on Bishop. There is some chatter that the initial plan was that Elliott was to be flipped to Tampa as part of a Bishop trade. There is also some gossip circle chatter that this could still happen. Basically Treliving is waiting to see if the price goes down on Bishop now that he has a legitimate option for next season and isnt backed into a corner.

How upset would the fan base be if they traded Elliott (plus) for Bishop? Yikes.

For the record, I don't believe that has any legitimate chance of happening. But it is an entertaining possibility.

Goalie list updated on the OP.

Glad the brass addressed the starter issue with Elliot.  Always liked the guy's playing style, and we'll see how he does with a new coach, and Calgary's D core implementing a new system.

It'll be interesting who they sign as a backup.  I've never been to high on Ortio, while others have. He's had his moments, but I've always likened him to Irving who just couldn't quite grab the reins.

I hope they don't jump the gun and bring Gilles up for a few games.  IMO I'd prefer to play the whole season in Stockton.

It would good IMO if we could use either Wideman or Stajan in a deal to get either Kuemper MIN or Kinkaid NJD.

On a different note, we all know that Treliving appeared close on Bishop. There is some chatter that the initial plan was that Elliott was to be flipped to Tampa as part of a Bishop trade. There is also some gossip circle chatter that this could still happen. Basically Treliving is waiting to see if the price goes down on Bishop now that he has a legitimate option for next season and isnt backed into a corner.

How upset would the fan base be if they traded Elliott (plus) for Bishop? Yikes.

For the record, I don't believe that has any legitimate chance of happening. But it is an entertaining possibility.

This IMO would blow their integrity and I don't see this management group to be of that nature. The end of next season bring another possible wide open scenario for us and BE will provide what we need in the nets for this upcoming season.

It would good IMO if we could use either Wideman or Stajan in a deal to get either Kuemper MIN or Kinkaid NJD.

I'm on board for anything to shed Wideman's contract.  If the target is a viable backup or an up and comer and Wideman plus a B prospect is the price, then so be it.

I believe Fleury and Bishop negotiations are done with Calgary.  I'd be surprised if either of those 2 ended up in Cowtown this season.

I think Ortio believes it is time for him to play full time in the NHL. He may

see that not qualifying him shows a lack of commitment that he will feel is symptomatic of his treatment last year. Being third wheel from the start and leaving it so long to play him despite abject goaltending from the other two probably demonstrated his future lies elsewhere. I don't think he signs a 2 way or anything else in Calgary. He can test his options is a few days. He might get a backup job somewhere or may end up in another league. We need to move on from Ortio if the organisation doesn't rate him highly enough to qualify him. I think BT will be looking at a young guy with potential who can learn alongside Elliott. It will be exciting to see what he comes up with...

There's a part of me that thinks that the Flames may regret it down the road if they don't re-sign Ortio.  I think he could turn out to be a very capable goalie.  But over the last few years I haven't liked some red flags that have appeared in regards to his attitude.  Sometimes he comes off as a little entitled.  He also seemed to sulk when he was sent down to the AHL.

I guess it would be best to move on from Ortio but I also think that with a new opportunity and a new environment he may do very well.

There's a part of me that thinks that the Flames may regret it down the road if they don't re-sign Ortio.  I think he could turn out to be a very capable goalie.  But over the last few years I haven't liked some red flags that have appeared in regards to his attitude.  Sometimes he comes off as a little entitled.  He also seemed to sulk when he was sent down to the AHL.

I guess it would be best to move on from Ortio but I also think that with a new opportunity and a new environment he may do very well.

Ortio needed to play stretches of game to improve.  I don't know that they can do that this year.  I could see a B2B game followed by another start, but not a stretch of 4 games in a row.

If they sign him, he will get a 1-way deal.  He may end up on waivers if they want him to go to Stockton or they may trade him if he doesn't work out. 

I wouldn't complain but I'd prefer to bring in Bishop as our starter while having insurance in Elliott. That's 8.4 in goal with 2 capable 'keepers sharing the load. I'm not sold on Elliott as a #1.

If Stevie Y could see his way clear to take on 1 of out 1 year contracts in Wideman @ 5,25 (we might have to retain as much as 1.75 to make it doable) or Raymond (doubtful even if we retain 50% as they are loaded @ forward) it could be done. @ 3.5 Wideman is better value for that year than any of the UFA defense,

This IMO would blow their integrity and I don't see this management group to be of that nature. The end of next season bring another possible wide open scenario for us and BE will provide what we need in the nets for this upcoming season.

Trade & flip happens frequently. It wouldn't tarnish any reputations here.

I wouldn't complain but I'd prefer to bring in Bishop as our starter while having insurance in Elliott. That's 8.4 in goal with 2 capable 'keepers sharing the load. I'm not sold on Elliott as a #1.

If Stevie Y could see his way clear to take on 1 of out 1 year contracts in Wideman @ 5,25 (we might have to retain as much as 1.75 to make it doable) or Raymond (doubtful even if we retain 50% as they are loaded @ forward) it could be done. @ 3.5 Wideman is better value for that year than any of the UFA defense,

Trade & flip happens frequently. It wouldn't tarnish any reputations here.

I would tend to disagree and don't see it happening. Let's go get an experienced backup and sign Ortio to play in Stockton.

What you guys think maybe Ramo sign low cost 1M-1,6M one year term? He should be good backup and he prove that he can win games when playing.

Would he even be healthy by October?  Do you want to go with an injured goalie as your backup, with possibly no camp.  I don't think he would sign for less than $2.5m.  He can get a job overseas for that kind of money.

As of 2017-2018 we have ZERO NHL goalies signed......

As of June 2017, some teams will lose very good goalies for nothing.  Elliott will be extended and protected before the end of the year. The smart choice would be to explore the cost to re-sign now and if reasonable, pull the trigger.

As of June 2017, some teams will lose very good goalies for nothing.  Elliott will be extended and protected before the end of the year. The smart choice would be to explore the cost to re-sign now and if reasonable, pull the trigger.

We still at some point have to get a goaltender strictly for the purpose of exposing him , otherwise an extended Elliot is left unprotected. 

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Ortio