s4xon

I'm actually embarrassed to say, I'm still not happy....I'm THAT insufferable, lol.

My dream is an impossible one.

• Ortio proves everyone wrong and shows starter material.
  • At the same time, we get Auston Matthews.

Not very likely am I to have my cake and eat it too.

Although....if the Flames keep up this whole No Scoring thing.....you never know...

He's gonna have to earn a contract before he shows anybody wrong.  Baby steps.  He's still making the same mistakes, but the team knows what to expect now.  Heard it said that his style takes a long time to develop.  Think he needs a new goalie coach to get him to the next level, if ever.

Man..watching Jones play I often wonder how many other teams forget to scout the teams that play in their own building.. How did this kid go undrafted?? And how did we not get him?

He was a back up in his draft year, LA brought into development camp and signed him, much like what we did this year with Nick Schneider.

He was a back up in his draft year, LA brought into development camp and signed him, much like what we did this year with Nick Schneider.

Ya the undrafted part didn't bug me but how could the flames not get him in their camp? That part irks me a bit

• Like 1

Wondering where the Flames plan to get this #1 goalie from? I can't see many teams willing to part with a young #1 net minder even if we include some of our 2nd round picks. I'll have to take a look but can't think of too many teams carrying 2 potential #1 net minders at the moment.

Interesting comments by Conroy on the Fan this morning in regards to Ortio. Obviously he is playing with so much confidence right now, but Conroy commented that he felt Ortio didn't come into camp with the same confidence. He felt he was questioning parts of his game and almost overworking things rather than just trusting his skill and trusting himself. He didn't say this but he seemed to hint that was a major factor in why they didn't feel comfortable playing him because he wasn't inspiring confidence in the coaches.

Obviously now that is different and he's playing with the same confidence he has in the past. I've always found Ortio pretty confident so hopefully he can maintain that and build off of it and not fall back into that trap again.

Pekka Rinne was a back up his whole time too. I heard the story of how he got drafted but forgot it. It was cool though because his coaches told someone that they need to watch this kid play and I think they flew in just to watch him practice as the backup.

They kept it quiet so no one else would see him.

Ya the undrafted part didn't bug me but how could the flames not get him in their camp? That part irks me a bit

So, that was the year we were debuting "Henrik Karlson", one of our "best players no in the NHL", in a "Win Now" mentallity, where all that mattered was who was going to back up Kipper.  for the 5 games he didn't play.

Henrik was 27 at the time, and all the rage.  Martin Jones was just a young dumb kid.  A wildcard.

So, if that Irkes ya,  good....

That's why I don't want to do the Same thing in this year's training camp. At some point, we have to break the cycle.

So, that was the year we were debuting "Henrik Karlson", one of our "best players no in the NHL", in a "Win Now" mentallity, where all that mattered was who was going to back up Kipper. for the 5 games he didn't play.

Henrik was 27 at the time, and all the rage. Martin Jones was just a young dumb kid. A wildcard.

So, if that Irkes ya, good....

That's why I don't want to do the Same thing in this year's training camp. At some point, we have to break the cycle.

What does Henrik Karlsson have to do with Martin Jones?

Wondering where the Flames plan to get this #1 goalie from? I can't see many teams willing to part with a young #1 net minder even if we include some of our 2nd round picks. I'll have to take a look but can't think of too many teams carrying 2 potential #1 net minders at the moment.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread:

Winnipeg has a nice bunch kicking around:

1a-1b

3571476bfa407bd063ad4d05c64b6491.png

I thought that Connor Hellebuyck would fit the mold that many here say is impossible to find.

c18af3d4b10bf6355f1a6e9fbead9c8e.png

That still leaves them with highly rated Eric Comrie to develop.

ac3a28c52e73dd1a7fe63feae27405b4.png

• Like 1

Interesting comments by Conroy on the Fan this morning in regards to Ortio. Obviously he is playing with so much confidence right now, but Conroy commented that he felt Ortio didn't come into camp with the same confidence. He felt he was questioning parts of his game and almost overworking things rather than just trusting his skill and trusting himself. He didn't say this but he seemed to hint that was a major factor in why they didn't feel comfortable playing him because he wasn't inspiring confidence in the coaches.

Obviously now that is different and he's playing with the same confidence he has in the past. I've always found Ortio pretty confident so hopefully he can maintain that and build off of it and not fall back into that trap again.

When you are the 3rd wheel and living with the threat of being dropped at the first sign off weakness, it is understandable. I have seen this in all our goalies with the way BH handles them. Finally, Ramo stood up for himself and challenged BH for the workload. If I am Ortio now, I see the opportunity in front of me and go for it. I like what I am seeing right now.

I have liked what I've seen from Ortio lately. He is showing great lateral movement and an ability to follow the play through traffic. But it is still a small sample size and I hope that he gets the chance play the bulk of games down the stretch. The team really needs to analyze what they have with him. Is he starter material or a perennial backup? I think once that has been decided, the Flames will know what they need to acquire or promote from within moving forward.   

Ortio is getting better, and has so far showed a consistency since call-up that has eluded him most of the last two years. 

At this point its too soon to call him a starter and not go for one. We have to go for a proven NHL goaltender in the off-season. 

But at the same time we have to give Ortio the chance to show whether he can be a starter. If he keeps this play up for the season and into next year play him as the starter, and we've managed to solve a hole. 

If his play drops off, then he's still a good backup to whoever we've signed

Ortio  Since Call-up

Save% - GAA
0.946 - 2
0.941 - 2
0.800 - 5
0.920 - 2
0.935 - 2
0.913 - 2 (OT)

His GAA is remarkably consistent other than the Ottawa game. 
  • Like 1

1a-1b

I thought that Connor Hellebuyck would fit the mold that many here say is impossible to find.

The Jets are loaded at the goalie position for sure. They have a really strong group of prospects overall. Hellebuyck would be the most NHL ready, but would the Jets be willing to part with a young netminder knowing they have an aging Pavelac on their hands? It would be a nice move if the Flames could swing a deal for one of the Jets prospects, it will definitely cost us a high draft pick and prospect/roster player.

1a-1b

I mentioned it as well.

I think Hutchinsons RFA  rights will be made available. He had good #s in  the OHL, ECHL, AHL & has looked pretty good in the NHL.

The Jets are loaded at the goalie position for sure. They have a really strong group of prospects overall. Hellebuyck would be the most NHL ready, but would the Jets be willing to part with a young netminder knowing they have an aging Pavelac on their hands? It would be a nice move if the Flames could swing a deal for one of the Jets prospects, it will definitely cost us a high draft pick and prospect/roster player.

Pavelac is only 28. Chevy & TN seem to have confidence in him.

I find him frustrating as he can be lights out when playing up to his talent but the pits other games.

Pavelac is only 28. Chevy & TN seem to have confidence in him.

I find him frustrating as he can be lights out when playing up to his talent but the pits other games.

I just don't see Pavelac as their goalie of the future, for the reasons you already stated...inconsistency, plus a history of injuries. We might have a better chance getting Pavelac from them as opposed to some of their young prospects. It looks like the Jets are really setting themselves up for a youth movement, although 28 yrs old isn't considered old for a goalie, Hutchinson and Hellebuyck are pushing for more starting time

So, that was the year we were debuting "Henrik Karlson", one of our "best players no in the NHL", in a "Win Now" mentallity, where all that mattered was who was going to back up Kipper.  for the 5 games he didn't play.

Henrik was 27 at the time, and all the rage.  Martin Jones was just a young dumb kid.  A wildcard.

So, if that Irkes ya,  good....

Your talking about 2 diferent things JJ. Karlson was never more than someone who was suppose to be a backup he was not a goalie of the future candidate, not to anyone sane anyway. Brining in Martin Jones, who was 3-4 years away from even competting for a backup job, has not revelance to what they did with Karlsson.

At the time the Flames did have Kevin Lalande, Matt Kettley and had just drafted Leland Irving so its not like they were ignoring the future. They also drafted Ortio the following draft so they were paying attention to the future, they jsut stuck with the wrong guys. 

What would it take to get either Hutchinson or Hellebuyck FF?

If Chevy stays the course with the kids (Kosmachuk is the 6th to play big league for the 1st time this year) probably a high pick or a left D prospect.

BTW, if he does stick to that plan BT should put in a big offer for Wheeler. 5.6 x 3 more & the RW the Flames need. If the Jets go kids the NTC shouldn't be a problem. The cap might be but I can see Burke offering advice on how it could be done. Heck, if Smid retires on LTIR ala Pronger, etc. that's 2/3s of the cost. A buyout (or 1.05 retained on Raymond as that's the buyout x 2 but this way is shed in 1) takes care of most of the rest. Heck, retain 1.5 & trade a prospect in return & it's covered.

Your talking about 2 diferent things JJ. Karlson was never more than someone who was suppose to be a backup he was not a goalie of the future candidate, not to anyone sane anyway. Brining in Martin Jones, who was 3-4 years away from even competting for a backup job, has not revelance to what they did with Karlsson.

At the time the Flames did have Kevin Lalande, Matt Kettley and had just drafted Leland Irving so its not like they were ignoring the future. They also drafted Ortio the following draft so they were paying attention to the future, they jsut stuck with the wrong guys. 

So, ....are your Irked,,,  or... Not irked?

Irked that they didn't see enough to bring him to camp yes. Do I think Jones has anything to do with Karlsson, No.

ok, well we share that....

The Flames didn't actually have Lalande anymore, Keetley was already seen as a lost cause (or at least treated like one), not that young, and getting backup minutes in the minors....

So the Flames basically had Irving.   Ortio was a 6th round shot in the dark at that time.

Are you proposing that Irving was sufficient?     If so, maybe they could have played him?  

Irving was a first round pick, coming off of two solid AHL seasons.....roughly the same age as Martin Jones when he broke into the NHL.

We could have given Irving a chance, instead of clogging things up with Karlsson.  It's not like Kipper missed a lot of games back then.  But we had to "win now".

All we needed, was another prospect for the AHL.   One prospect backup, and one prospect in the AHL.

Wouldn't have affected our payoff chances one bit.

And we had that prospect ready to go, already in Calgary, in Martin Jones.

Dominos, imho.

And, we've been doing the same thing ever since.   Until injuries and the no trade deadline finally forced us out of it.

Irked that they didn't see enough to bring him to camp yes. Do I think Jones has anything to do with Karlsson, No.

Let me reply with a "moving forward" spin on this, as well.

If that Irkes you, maybe we should recognize that Martin Jones was the best undrafted 20 year old in the WHL at that time, who also happened to be 6'4.

And, if we look at the best undrafted 20 year old in the WHL now, we get Landon Bow, who is 6'5.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=84264

Their performance is eerily similar.   If anything Landon Bow's is a touch better.

It's just an example....although I have to say...this kid Really fits the profile.

Why not?

(because we don't have room....and that's why I want Ortio up with the Flames.  Maybe Gillies too, soon)