s4xon

Ortio and Poulin have been splitting time pretty evenly, but it seems to be Poulin that is putting up the better numbers. Ortio is barely putting up good enough numbers to be an AHL backup let alone earning time in the NHL.

If Calgary needs to call one goalie up Poulin is the obvious choice at this point.

Agreed.  At some point we probably have to come to the realization that Gillies is our best chance at developing a goalie for the near future.  Ortio may become a NHL goalie at some point in his career, but it doesn't look promising.  I don't know if he was overrated or ruined by wasting a month in the pressbox.  I liked what I saw from his limited appearances the last two years, but this year he has regressed.

I didn't like what I saw from Ortio aside from a few good games over the last two years prior to this season. I never really expected him to make it. His style is unorthodox and leaves his top corners open. Players at the NHL are too good to not expose that, and did.

Also, he regressed really fast after having one good game, following it up with stinkers.

Ortio against the Gulls 4 GA on 21 shots

Poulin against the Condors 4 GA on 32 shots

Poulin against the Condors 5 GA on 28 shots, Ortio 2 GA on 20 shots

Take your pick as to who deserves more playing time.

Simple solution: find a different goalie when playing against flying animals :D

I didn't like what I saw from Ortio aside from a few good games over the last two years prior to this season. I never really expected him to make it. His style is unorthodox and leaves his top corners open. Players at the NHL are too good to not expose that, and did.

Also, he regressed really fast after having one good game, following it up with stinkers.

I agree, I said this before Ortio is far from consistent in his play, he has shown that in his career in North America that he can put together a good season and we think he has turned the corner but then follow it up with a poor season. I can see him returning oversees this summer and maybe comeback at some point like Ramo did. 

• Like 1

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-karri-ramo-hurt-leaves-game-after-collision-with-donskoi/

Looks like Ramo might be out long term.  Bob Hartley said Ramo "doesn't look very good".  From the replay, it almost looks like the hyperextension of Ramo's left leg was so great, it's what pushed the net off its moorings.  I'm speculating some kind of knee tear of sorts.

It might be Hiller the rest of the way and we may see Ortio in action soon.

I actually think he might have broken his leg with the way it buckled and how he immediately reached for it and couldn't put any weight on it. I'll be pretty surpised if they get Ramo back even this season, I think that looks like a pretty horrible injury. 

I have to acquire with rob that i'm not so sure it would be Ortio that would come up, might be Poulin. Only reason to call up Ortio is to give him one more shot at the NHL level but given that he isn't playing well in the A, not sure that is going to happen.

A goalie option i've beomcing more intrigued about is JImmy Howard in Detroit. His contract sucks, (3 more years at 5.25/season) but I think you oculd get Detroit to eat part of that. He isn't getting dealt somewhere for full value, and if they ate 1.6 you could have him for 3.6 for 3 years. Thats decent value and you roll the dice that he gets back to the above avg starter level he was just a season or two ago. Worst, case you've got reasonably priced stability in net while you try and develop Gilles so you can bring in a decent backup at sat 2 mill or less and run with 2 goalies. 

I actually think he might have broken his leg with the way it buckled and how he immediately reached for it and couldn't put any weight on it. I'll be pretty surpised if they get Ramo back even this season, I think that looks like a pretty horrible injury. 

I have to acquire with rob that i'm not so sure it would be Ortio that would come up, might be Poulin. Only reason to call up Ortio is to give him one more shot at the NHL level but given that he isn't playing well in the A, not sure that is going to happen.

A goalie option i've beomcing more intrigued about is JImmy Howard in Detroit. His contract sucks, (3 more years at 5.25/season) but I think you oculd get Detroit to eat part of that. He isn't getting dealt somewhere for full value, and if they ate 1.6 you could have him for 3.6 for 3 years. Thats decent value and you roll the dice that he gets back to the above avg starter level he was just a season or two ago. Worst, case you've got reasonably priced stability in net while you try and develop Gilles so you can bring in a decent backup at sat 2 mill or less and run with 2 goalies. 

I would agree in that I'm wondering about a leg break too.  Its looking bad for Ramo, but that may be good for us.  Worst case it forces us to see what one of our younger guys/Hiller has to offer before we go into the post season with no goalies signed.  Time for them to prove their worth.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=868445

Ortio has been called up. This helps support the people arguing that the Earned not given moto has gone by the wayside this year. Poulin deserved the call up.

This is probably Ortio's last chance.

Not only that, Ramo has been placed on IR and will fly home to Calgary from Pheonix. Pretty much confirms that this isn't a minor injury but they want to find out more before making that official.

Agree, this is it and this actually works out well for the Flames. If Ortio gets some games and doesn't play well I think its very unlikely he'll get a contract offer in the summer. 

Sorry that Ramo went down. He had been playing very well in the recent months, and was the goalie we were most likely to re-sign this summer. 

This means we'll see Hiller in probably 30+ of the remaining games and Ortio in about a half dozen. Its a very much sink-or-swim situation for both.

If Hiller wants any kind of good contract (here or elsewhere) he needs to greatly improve his play from earlier this season (good start on that last night. 

If Ortio wants to stay, let alone play in the NHL he needs to show he's capable and not all over the place like his numbers have been this year. 

We'll see how much of a chance they give Ortio. Hopefully he's not left sitting on the bench the next 10 games doing nothing. If he doesn't perform well I'd agree his tone with the Flames is likely over. Would be great to see this kid come in and win some games for us after all these years of hype

We'll see how much of a chance they give Ortio. Hopefully he's not left sitting on the bench the next 10 games doing nothing. If he doesn't perform well I'd agree his tone with the Flames is likely over. Would be great to see this kid come in and win some games for us after all these years of hype

Orito's coming in as a backup, and Hiller's been pretty decent in his last few starts, so there is probably very little chance Orito gets any ice time.

Surprise! Wow, you would think they'd call the most deserving. I guess they don't see Poulin as a long term guy?

Unlikely they would and they really shouldn't. Poulin has had chances and hasn't been able to crack the NHL but Ortio hasn't had as many. Plus the Flames have actulaly invested in Ortio whereas Poulin they got for very little of waivers.

If you are going by "earned never given" Poulin deserved the shot, but if you are looking at it from the organizations perspective, Ortio was it.  I acutally think there is a very reasonable chance that Ramo is done for the year so I think Ortio is going to see some games and it will give the Flames a chance to see what they have and whether or not he's worth a contract. 

Orito's coming in as a backup, and Hiller's been pretty decent in his last few starts, so there is probably very little chance Orito gets any ice time.

If that ends up being the case Ortio is as good as gone. If the Flames can continue on this streak and close in on the playoffs I can understand running with Hiller. Thing is if Ramos season is over , we'd need 2 goalies to even give us a chance so they'd have to atleast let Ortio warm up to the NHL in case we miraculously make the playoffs.

Unlikely they would and they really shouldn't. Poulin has had chances and hasn't been able to crack the NHL but Ortio hasn't had as many. Plus the Flames have actulaly invested in Ortio whereas Poulin they got for very little of waivers.

If you are going by "earned never given" Poulin deserved the shot, but if you are looking at it from the organizations perspective, Ortio was it. I acutally think there is a very reasonable chance that Ramo is done for the year so I think Ortio is going to see some games and it will give the Flames a chance to see what they have and whether or not he's worth a contract.

It's good because they need to know whether he can do it and is deserving a contract.

Ortio has been called up. This helps support the people arguing that the Earned not given moto has gone by the wayside this year. Poulin deserved the call up.

Just the opposite.  Hiller gets the Flames net, Poulin gets the Heat net.  The call-up (Ortio) gets to sit and eat popcorn, but makes a bunch more $s doing so....

Or the other guy...

The other guy has better numbers than Ortio, but I believe he(Poulin) is on an AHL contract.

56b350abe26a7865fa93d29378cdd7a0.png

I guess Ortio has the 1 way contract and the familiarity with the Flames in his favour.

I can't find him with an NHL contract. (I could be wrong) but if I am right that explains why the Flames would not call him up.

Edit: my bad(well THN bad) found him. He could have been called up.

The other guy has better numbers than Ortio, but I believe he(Poulin) is on an AHL contract.

56b350abe26a7865fa93d29378cdd7a0.png

I guess Ortio has the 1 way contract and the familiarity with the Flames in his favour.

I can't find him with an NHL contract. (I could be wrong) but if I am right that explains why the Flames would not call him up.

Poulin is on a two-way contract $675,000 in the NHL and $175,00 in the AHL.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/kevin_poulin

kinda makes sense- Ortio gets paid the same no matter where he plays or sits-- he's supposed to be the "next" guy so he gets to prove it.  best way / time now to see what he can do because we have to decide whether to offer him a new contract or not. At the same time, if he IS ready , not getting the call up would almost ensure he wont resign here anyway .

we save the extra cap hit by not giving Poulin a raise to come up here.

and hey , look what happened when Ramo came back up , maybe Ortio gets hot ..lets see what hes made  of

• Like 1